PDA

View Full Version : Until further notice...

Chadman
03-20-2009, 02:11 AM
These are the men keeping Ben alive...

LT
http://www.usatigerma.com/max%20starks%20steelers.jpg

LG
http://d.yimg.com/i/ng/sp/ap_photo/20090227/all/l3669401.jpg

C
http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Super+Bowl+XLIII+DDa1v6PIKEis.jpg

RG
https://www.nypost.com/seven/01292009/photos/sports063.jpg

RT
http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2009/01/18/alg_willie-colon.jpg

Feelin' good? :stirpot

Mel Blount's G
03-20-2009, 02:27 AM
rickt would argue about the "...keeping Ben alive" part of "These are the men keeping Ben alive"

Feeling better? :stirpot :wink:

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-20-2009, 09:59 AM
Okay, I'll play.......

Talking strictly from a pass protection point of view:

At LT, Starks is responsible for handling the best pass rushers every week and while he did give up a few sacks, nobody had a field day on him. He began starting after the bye, so he was not there for Williams two sack performance or the Philly masacre. Considering the level of responsibility, and the fact that he did okay, that makes him our best OL last year IMO.

I was not very impressed with Kemo last year and felt that he was our second worst OL. He did show some positive signs on occasion, but way too many mistakes and lack of execution other times. Thats the bad news. The good news is that he is young, a first year starter, and did flash some potential. Hopefully he proves worthy of the attention garnered as a FA and the contract he signed.

Hartwig got somewhat of a pass last year because he replaced the worst Steeler center of the last 40 years. We could often watch him and say "that wasn't great, but at least he isn't Mahan!". Hopefully another adequate performance before giving way to our C of the future....whoever that is.

RG is another position where Steeler fans were just happy to see the last guy go. Stapleton also did not do too much to write home about, but we all hated Simmons' performance so much that anyone else would do. I don't see much for him at RG other than potential backup long term. Maybe he can be moved to C as a reliable starter, but not RG.

Colon - the one guy whose continued existence here keeps me scratching my head. I have been a long time basher of the move to replace Starks with him, and I think that I have seen enough to continue doubting his position here. When you see the holding penalties, the false start penalties, and the almost constant pressure from his side, how can you keep him locked in here? Even last year when Starks was signed to the $7M tag, we went into TC with Colon anointed as the starter - Max wasn't even open to competition for the job he once held. Personally I just don't see the potential here.

RuthlessBurgher
03-20-2009, 10:03 AM
Okay, I'll play.......

At LT, Starks is responsible for handling the best pass rushers every week and while he did give up a few sacks, nobody had a field day on him. He began starting after the bye, so he was not there for Williams two sack performance or the Philly masacre. Considering the level of responsibility, and the fact that he did okay, that makes him our best OL last year IMO.

I was not very impressed with Kemo last year and felt that he was our second worst OL. He did show some positive signs on occasion, but way too many mistakes and lack of execution other times. Thats the bad news. The good news is that he is young, a first year starter, and did flash some potential. Hopefully he proves worthy of the attention garnered as a FA and the contract he signed.

Hartwig got somewhat of a pass last year because he replaced the worst Steeler center of the last 40 years. We could often watch him and say "that wasn't great, but at least he isn't Mahan!". Hopefully another adequate performance before giving way to our C of the future....whoever that is.

RG is another position where Steeler fans were just happy to see the last guy go. Stapleton also did not do too much to write home about, but we all hated Simmons' performance so much that anyone else would do. I don't see much for him at RG other than potential backup long term. Maybe he can be moved to C as a reliable starter, but not RG.

Colon - the one guy whose continued existence here keeps me scratching my head. I have been a long time basher of the move to replace Starks with him, and I think that I have seen enough to continue doubting his position here. When you see the holding penalties, the false start penalties, and the almost constant pressure from his side, how can you keep him locked in here? Even last year when Starks was signed to the $7M tag, we went into TC with Colon anointed as the starter - Max wasn't even open to competition for the job he once held. Personally I just don't see the potential here.

I do. However, I think it would be as a guard. I have no idea why the team doesn't seem to feel the same way (it could have something to do with having no other legit tackle options right now, though).

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-20-2009, 10:21 AM
Okay, I'll play.......

I do. However, I think it would be as a guard. I have no idea why the team doesn't seem to feel the same way (it could have something to do with having no other legit tackle options right now, though).

Maybe there is potential for him to play guard, but there is no reason to believe that the team feels the same way.

Tomlin loves position flexibility, and during the summer he has his linemen playing elsewhere all of the time. In '07 he had Starks - the starting RT - practice the entire off season at LT. Last summer Essex was trying his hand at guard, something that I never remember him doing prior. But they have never had Colon take snaps at guard. They had Smith, Starks, Hills, Capizzi etc. to fill the tackle spots in TC while they gave Colon a couple of weeks at guard, they could have let him mess around there after he was named the starting RT at the start of TC. They have never acknowledged that they even consider him playing G to be an option.

phillyesq
03-20-2009, 02:47 PM
This is a pretty ugly group, no doubt, but the scary thing is, it could get even worse:

Starks: FA after this year.

Kemo: 5 year deal.

Hartwig: FA after this year.

Stapelton: RFA after this year.

Colon: FA after this year. (May be RFA due to uncapped year and the collective bargaining agreement - not 100% sure).

Essex: 2 year deal.

Lots of expiring contracts coming up. And, as of now, I think the bench looks like:

OT: Essex, Capizzi, Hills
OG: Essex, Parquet
C: Legursky

Blech.

frankthetank1
03-21-2009, 10:18 AM
i have confidence that next off season there will be more fa options on the o-line. they know its the weak link on the team. they will address it im sure. i thought stapelton showed some potential and starks was a lot better than i expected. he is still relatively young so he can improve. hartwig is a stop gap no more or less. colon needs to go or switch to guard. he is just terrible