PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't this guy fit our system...

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
03-19-2009, 11:33 PM
Evander Hood - Missouri (HT: 6'4" | WT: 295)
Projection: 2nd Round

Strengths:
-decent height
-good lower body strength
-natural athlete, good body control, quick feet
-good combination of quickness, lower body strength and balance
-can easily change direction, spin move is his best to beat guards off the LOS
-quick first step to go along with good closing speed
-shows good football instincts, easily finds the ball, can make plays behind the line
-his combination of strength and quickness allows him to disengage off blocks
-plays low and fights through blocks, shows good technique
-plays with excellent balance, looks smooth in space
-good one-gap penetrator

Weaknesses:
-needs to protect his legs and become more aware of blockers
-easily cut, is on the ground too often
-should become better at getting through blocks on the move
-tends to get hung up on offensive lineman
-needs to take better angles to the ball
-not a dominant player, but definitely not a liability

He benched pressed 36 reps today at 225 and looked really good at his pro day. I like this kid as he is moving up the draft board. My question is why doesnt he fit our system. I know he is a little short but an inch shouldn't matter that much. Thoughts?

WoodleyofTroy
03-19-2009, 11:43 PM
If he can play, then he fits. I think too many people make the mistake of thinking, when drafting high, you need to have talent but not without the measurables. That's why guys like James Harrison go undrafted. I'm guilty of this too. Before I read the write-up or know anything about a player, I look at his size and stats. I'm sure GM's do too, which is why there are so many busts.

It's like Trevor Laws being described as an energize bunny. There wasn't a "perfect" fit for him here, but everyone wanted him. I think Hood shares that same description. Although, I think his size is actually fine. Did someone say 6-4 295 for an end in the 3-4 was a problem or something?

Bandito
03-19-2009, 11:57 PM
I like him better than Jackson, Gilbert, Magee, and Moala for his tenacity, motor, and passion for the game. When I bring him up in other sites, it always comes back as he is only a 43 tackle but in reading from scouts, he is starting to be mentioned more in a 3-4 scheme.

edit: I seriously doubt he will be there at 1.32

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
03-20-2009, 12:05 AM
I wonder how he is in the run stuffing dept? I know he is a good pass rusher.

Chadman
03-20-2009, 12:38 AM
Why doesn't this guy fit our system...

Why?

Isn't it obvious?

His name isn't Alex Mack & he doesn't play OL!

Sheesh!

MeetJoeGreene
03-20-2009, 08:05 AM
but an inch shouldn't matter that much. Thoughts?

That ain't what my wife says....... :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :Beer

Seriously 6'4 isn't short. He sounds monster strong.

Oviedo
03-20-2009, 08:25 AM
As mentioned it is all about how he plays the run. IMO he would be in the mix in Round 2 if we went OL in Round 1.

Here is some good info to consider:

3-4 ENDS (LeBeau)

34 Ends in LeBeauís scheme tend to be smaller and more agile players because of the unique requirements they must fulfill. They must be strong against the run and able to slide inside to rush the passer or drop back in coverage in passing situations.

From a baseline perspective, Steelers 34 DEs have the following physical characteristics:

Baseline 3-4
Height: 6'5"
Weight: 278

*Note: Average of Smith, Keisel, McBean, Nua

Representing this yearís crop, Jarron Gilbert is the top-rated prospect. His abilities surpass the baseline by a significant margin, and he was very disruptive during his senior season, finishing with 22 TFL and 9.5 sacks. However, while heís a first round talent athletically, and a perfect schematic fit, he played against lower levels of competition, and did not put up similar numbers during his previous college seasons. The prospect Gilbert most closely resembles is Jason Hatcher, who was a third round pick by Dallas. Since then, the playing field has changed, and a minimum 2nd round pick will be required to draft him due to the proliferation of 34 defenses.

Of the remaining prospects, the player representing the best value is Zach Potter. Heís a near clone of Brett Keisel, and is a very good athlete. Potter recorded 16 TFL, 5.5 sacks, as well as displaying the ability to bat down passes (6 passes defended) and block kicks. Pittsburgh will probably need to use a 5th rounder on him as he continues to rise up the draft boards.

calmkiller
03-20-2009, 08:31 AM
Why doesn't this guy fit our system...

Why?

Isn't it obvious?

His name isn't Alex Mack & he doesn't play OL!

Sheesh!

yup

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-20-2009, 08:51 AM
He might be better suited as a 4-3 DT. He might not be stout enough as a 3-4 NT. He also might not be fast enough to play 3-4 DE to contain the edge. It's all "crystal ball" stuff how his game will translate to the NFL but the FOs can see enough on film. If he fits...I'm sure he gets consideration.

RuthlessBurgher
03-20-2009, 09:10 AM
At the combine, Ziggy Hood was measured at 6' 2 7/8", not 6' 4" . His best fit is as a 4-3 DT.

Guys in rounds 1-2 who would be a better fit as a 3-4 DE include:

Tyson Jackson 6' 4 1/8" 296 lbs.
Jarron Gilbert 6' 5 1/2" 288 lbs.
Fili Moala 6' 4" 305 lbs.

:2c

Oviedo
03-20-2009, 09:58 AM
At the combine, Ziggy Hood was measured at 6' 2 7/8", not 6' 4" . His best fit is as a 4-3 DT.

And add in Rounds 4-6:

Zack Potter, 6'7" 280 lbs.
Kyle Moore, 6'5" 275 lbs
Will Johnson, 6'5" 290 lbs.
Khaliff Mitchell 6'5" 318 lbs.
Panel Egboh 6' 6" 276 lbs.
Rulon Davis 6'5" 281 lbs.

RuthlessBurgher
03-20-2009, 10:14 AM

And add in Rounds 4-6:

Kyle Moore, 6'5" 275 lbs

I'm also intrigued by Everette Pedescleaux from Northern Iowa 6' 6" 305 lbs. as a late round developmental DE prospect. He also has athleticism, being named Minnesota's Mr. Basketball in high school.

WoodleyofTroy
03-20-2009, 10:47 AM

I was going to make that exact same post last night after I made mine with his size not being 6'4''..and adding Jackson/Gilbert/Moala as better options....but my cable went out.

WoodleyofTroy
03-20-2009, 10:50 AM
edit: I seriously doubt he will be there at 1.32

Which would mean another player drops to us. I hope there are many 2nd round prospects getting picked in the 1st.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-20-2009, 12:25 PM

And add in Rounds 4-6:

Kyle Moore, 6'5" 275 lbs

I'm also intrigued by Everette Pedescleaux from Northern Iowa 6' 6" 305 lbs. as a late round developmental DE prospect. He also has athleticism, being named Minnesota's Mr. Basketball in high school.
Hey...I think I like that guy too!!! :wink:

Lebsteel
03-20-2009, 01:17 PM

And add in Rounds 4-6:

Kyle Moore, 6'5" 275 lbs

Zack Potter is someone I hope we really take a close look at in Rd. 4. He has Steeler lineman written all over him:
From NFL.com

Analysis
Positives: Tall with adequate size throughout his frame, could still add 15-20 mass in the upper body without slowing him down. ... Versatile end who plays both sides of the line for the Huskers. ... Pushes back left tackles at times and can beat right tackles in pass situations. ... Has the height and length to affect passing lanes. ... Smart player who recognizes screens and misdirection. ... Asked to drop in zone blitzes and cover backs in the flat. ... Hustles down the line to track down ballcarriers running away from him. ... Can spin in either direction to get off blockers and make a play.

My Cornhusker friend says Potter is a stud. Will Johnson, holy smokes, 47 reps with 225! That is flippin' incredible. I realize we picked up Mike Kudla from OSU a few years ago after he had done something like 42 reps in the BP and he didn't work out, but Johnson seems to have good size and reasonable speed, 5.07 in the 40.

SteelCzar76
03-20-2009, 03:59 PM
Zack Potter is someone I hope we really take a close look at in Rd. 4. He has Steeler lineman written all over him:

That's something that i've had in mind about Potter for quite awhile Leb. Not to say he'd immediately give us Big Diesel (Aaron Smith) production but,..given a little time i think he would fit perfectly into our front seven even more so than Kiesel ever has for the duration of his time with us. (Potter's got a frame for growth and i think he'd play with more physicality)

Bandito
03-20-2009, 04:05 PM
Three other potentials:

Desmond Bryant 6'6" 288, DE Harvard
03/11/09 - Harvard Pro day: Six teams attended the March 6 pro day to watch 10 prospects work out indoors on FieldTurf. Defensive lineman Desmond Bryant measured in at 6-foot-5 5/8, 288 pounds with 11.5-inch hands and 35.5-inch arms. He posted a 4.92 and 4.93 in the 40-yard dash and a 31-inch vertical. Bryant also recorded a 9-foot-10-inch broad jump, 4.45 short shuttle, 7.44 three-cone drill and 35 bench press lifts. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com

01/07/09 - 2008 ALL-IVY LEAGUE FOOTBALL SECOND TEAM: DL -- Desmond Bryant, Harvard (Sr., Elizabethtown, N.C.), has been selected All-Ivy League Football Second Team for the 2008 college football season as voted on by the league head coaches. Bryant put considerable pressure on opposing quarterbacks with 20 tackles (12 solo), 4.5 tackles for a loss, 1.5 sacks and a team-best eight QB hurries. - Harvard football

Clinton McDonald 6'2" 289 DT Memphis
McDonald built on his successful 2007 season (55 tackles, 9.5 tackles for loss, four sacks) by starting his senior season strong, getting attention from scouts and media outlets across the country. The first-team All-Conference USA pick (39 tackles, seven sacks) hit a snag, when he was injured against Louisville midway through the season. McDonald's build, athletic testing, and scouts' reviews of early season film will likely cause his stock to rise.

Positives: Wide-chested with strong builds in the upper and lower body. ... Good, not great, first step off the ball. ... Has very good straight-line speed to chase down backs down the line and from behind. ... When lined up in a three-technique, he shows a real burst off the ball and a nice spin move off either shoulder. ... Works hard as a pass rusher if he sees even a slight opening. ... Has a strong punch but needs to use it more often. ... Has the strength to hold off linemen with one shoulder and stay upright when slanting or in the three-technique spot.

Negatives: Short and a bit smaller than scouts prefer for nose tackle, but adequate for a three-technique. ... Can be engulfed and pushed back by larger guards. ... Stays upright against double teams, but usually only gets off to make tackles five or six yards downfield. ... Gets a little push into the pocket, but usually gets stopped by a good anchor when bull-rushing. ... Must improve his hand technique to get off blocks inside. ... Does not hustle or chase as much as you'd think given his athleticism. ... Will whiff in the backfield but has good change-of-direction skills to recover. ... Six of his seven sacks in 2008 came against Arkansas State and UAB, two squads without a lot of cachet with scouts. ... Medical report on his severely sprained left ankle is important in determining his final grade.

Roy Miller 6'1" 310 DT Texas
Often overshadowed by Texas' multitude of other standouts, Miller was key to the Longhorns' success over the past four seasons. He lacks the eye-popping size and speed numbers NFL scouts look for, though his production is sure to attract attention. A veteran of 49 games with the Longhorns, Miller leaves with 138 career tackles, 25 tackles for loss, and 10 sacks including 49-11-5.5 as a senior in earning first-team All-Big 12 honors as voted by the conference coaches. The defensive MVP in Texas' victory over Ohio State in the 2009 Fiesta Bowl (2.5 tackles, one TFL, one sack) he also had a strong performance during the East-West Shrine Game and is a candidate to move up draft boards.

Positives: Short, squatty frame. ... Good lower-leg drive and use of leverage to hold up as a nose guard. ... Can anchor against the double-team and create a pile. ... Flashes some initial and lateral quickness as a pass rusher. ... Quick hands and impressive upper-body strength to disengage from blocks and make tackles at the point of attack. ... Flashes some explosiveness as a hitter. ... High-effort player who will pursue down the line. ... Physical player who has value as a short-yardage fullback or wedge-buster on special teams. ... Helped himself with solid week of practice at the East-West Shrine Game.

Negatives: Limited athlete who lacks the size and agility to offer much more than what he's asked as a run-plugging nose guard. ... Needs an open lane to close and has only short-area quickness. ... Offers very little in terms of a traditional pass rush. ... Creates penetration behind the line of scrimmage due to his stout frame, but most of his plays are made based on hustle.

RuthlessBurgher
03-20-2009, 04:32 PM
Perhaps Bryant as a 3-4 DE prospect or Miller as a 3-4 NT prospect, but McDonald seems to have 4-3 DT size.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-20-2009, 04:43 PM

i was thinking, "never seen the kid play, but, his measurments and pros/cons don't sound like he fits..."

If "run stuffer" isn't on his pros, he doesn't fit on our line... period.

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
04-26-2009, 10:43 PM
Interesting....I posted this a couple of weeks before the draft. Who would of ever known this was our guy. He looks the part and hope he is the heir to A. Smith at DE.

papillon
04-26-2009, 11:06 PM
Interesting....I posted this a couple of weeks before the draft. Who would of ever known this was our guy. He looks the part and hope he is the heir to A. Smith at DE.

Helluva call their Smash...helluva call.

Pappy

WoodleyofTroy
04-26-2009, 11:42 PM
Yeah that was definitely a great call.