PDA

View Full Version : A mock not to be mocked !!!

SteelHead
03-19-2009, 07:37 PM
Ok so I just spent like 20 minutes at work putting together my 1st mock draft of the off season and I went to submit it and it tells me I'm not logged in , thus losing the whole friggin thing I typed out. No time to do it again so I'll just post the picks and not the reasons. Many of you may be looking for those reasons as I have a feeling this one will get ripped apart ! LOL

1. Clint Sintim OLB Virginia
2. Patrick Chung S Oregon
3a. Terrance Taylor DT Michigan
3b. Kraig Urbik G Wisconsin
4. Kevin Barnes CB Maryland
5. A.Q. Shipley C Penn State
6. Will Johnson DE Michigan
7. Brandon Tate WR/KR N.Carolina

Digest and Dissect !!!

Discipline of Steel
03-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Well, you must know that many, including myself here, will likely question us taking an OLB in the 1st round. OLB seems like about the last position that needs attention, next to QB and RB. Also, is Urbik really going to be around at the end of the third? Of course, who am I kidding, I really dont know the college players too well. On the positive side, I think end of 3rd is a good spot to pick up our DT.

SteelHead
03-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Well, you must know that many, including myself here, will likely question us taking an OLB in the 1st round. OLB seems like about the last position that needs attention, next to QB and RB. Also, is Urbik really going to be around at the end of the third? Of course, who am I kidding, I really dont know the college players too well. On the positive side, I think end of 3rd is a good spot to pick up our DT.

No doubt I expect to catch some flack with OLB round one however I have no problem with making a strength even stronger. The LB position is the heart of this team and Farrior and Harrison are not going to play forever. He projects to OLB or ILB , you know how Tomlin loves that position flexibility.

Chadman
03-19-2009, 07:59 PM
Purely on "BPA" value, Sintim will be a good choice. Also- it would mean the Steelers are not 'over the barrel' with James Harrison's new contract- they have a ready made replacement on hand this way.

Your draft positions are very much in line with Chadman's last mock- so it's hard to pick holes in it.

The players are good- if not the ones Chadman would pick- but good all the same.

Discipline of Steel
03-19-2009, 08:02 PM
With that pick, and the unlikelyhood that Urbik lasts to #96 or whatever, wouldnt this list leave us short on restocking our trenches? Too many guys getting long in the tooth or on the last year of their contract. Perhaps you dont have that same sense of urgency to build depth on both lines?

SteelHead
03-19-2009, 08:21 PM
With that pick, and the unlikelyhood that Urbik lasts to #96 or whatever, wouldnt this list leave us short on restocking our trenches? Too many guys getting long in the tooth or on the last year of their contract. Perhaps you dont have that same sense of urgency to build depth on both lines?

Your thoughts on Urbik's availability @ #96 aside I thought the trenches were addressed nicely. 2 DL and 2 OL. My "urgency" to replenish talent at those positions IS there but It's not the front offices MO to reach to fill positions of need. Overall my mock may be skewed towards winning now rather than later , I can see that , but there's no reason why a draft like this couldn't do both. I feel as though many Steeler fans think were going to draft O-line early and often , I just don't see it happening unless some of the premier guys fall to us. BPA in every round while keeping in mind our immediate needs when the lines of BPA get fuzzy seem to be our MO. I do not see that changing.

SteelHead
03-19-2009, 08:26 PM
Purely on "BPA" value, Sintim will be a good choice. Also- it would mean the Steelers are not 'over the barrel' with James Harrison's new contract- they have a ready made replacement on hand this way.

Your draft positions are very much in line with Chadman's last mock- so it's hard to pick holes in it.

The players are good- if not the ones Chadman would pick- but good all the same.

SteelHead thinks your first paragraph is perfectly put. SteelHead also appreciates the support but SteelHead feels as though he can no longer respond to you in the third person.

:wink:
:Cheers

RuthlessBurgher
03-19-2009, 08:34 PM
If you come right out and say "not to be mocked," you should understand that it will inevitably be mocked mercilessly.

[youtube:1mt8g2hu]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FWBUl7oT9sA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FWBUl7oT9sA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube:1mt8g2hu]

:lol:

SteelHead
03-19-2009, 08:38 PM
If you come right out and say "not to be mocked," you should understand that it will inevitably be mocked mercilessly.

:

Nice. LOL

:moon

Discipline of Steel
03-19-2009, 09:03 PM

Your thoughts on Urbik's availability @ #96 aside I thought the trenches were addressed nicely. 2 DL and 2 OL. My "urgency" to replenish talent at those positions IS there but It's not the front offices MO to reach to fill positions of need. Overall my mock may be skewed towards winning now rather than later , I can see that , but there's no reason why a draft like this couldn't do both. I feel as though many Steeler fans think were going to draft O-line early and often , I just don't see it happening unless some of the premier guys fall to us. BPA in every round while keeping in mind our immediate needs when the lines of BPA get fuzzy seem to be our MO. I do not see that changing.

All for the sake of a good discussion... :D

BPA is dependant on who the other teams pick and who they might leave for us to choose from. Until we learn that info on draft day, we are stuck predicting OFPWWHAAs (our favorite players who we hope are available) I dont begrudge anyones genuine desires for our team, even a LB (who happen to be my favorite position!) My desire would be to see us get at least a CB, OL, and DL with our premium picks.

Whoever we pick, I will be happy about (Pat White notwithstanding :stirpot ) as I figure the Steelers actually do know better than I do.

WoodleyofTroy
03-19-2009, 09:09 PM
This would be building for the future, not geared towards winning right now. Not saying that's a bad thing (not one of those who calls a guy a bust because he's not on the field right away), I just saw that you mentioned that and wanted to point it out.

Sintim would sit behind Harrison and Woodley like Davis is doing. And Chung behind Troy, who is a better fit at Strong Safety, where he'd shine. Both would be head hunters on Special teams though.

Clint Sintim Virginia
Patrick Chung Oregon
Terrance Taylor Michigan
Kraig Urbik Wisconsin
Kevin Barnes Maryland
A.Q. Shipley Penn State
Will Johnson Michigan
Brandon Tate N.Carolina

After taking positions out of the equation, you can't deny that the Steelers didn't come away with some great talent to add to this team. Which is all that should matter.

pfelix73
03-19-2009, 09:43 PM
To mock the mocking bird here:

I would doubt Shipley lasts til the 5th. I'd take him in the 3rd somewhere. We have 2 #3's correct?

I like that TE out of Okie Dokie State. He's a monster. Maybe we'll pick him and he can play RG for us. So when he pulls, he can go out for a pass..... BA's new offense. The more TE's the merrier- he says...

:2c

SidSmythe
03-19-2009, 11:16 PM
OLB, Safety in first 2 rounds???

Dude . . i won't mock you but this is what i think about this mock :moon

Oviedo
03-20-2009, 08:12 AM
Ok so I just spent like 20 minutes at work putting together my 1st mock draft of the off season and I went to submit it and it tells me I'm not logged in , thus losing the whole friggin thing I typed out. No time to do it again so I'll just post the picks and not the reasons. Many of you may be looking for those reasons as I have a feeling this one will get ripped apart ! LOL

1. Clint Sintim OLB Virginia
2. Patrick Chung S Oregon
3a. Terrance Taylor DT Michigan
3b. Kraig Urbik G Wisconsin
4. Kevin Barnes CB Maryland
5. A.Q. Shipley C Penn State
6. Will Johnson DE Michigan
7. Brandon Tate WR/KR N.Carolina

Digest and Dissect !!!

1. Not sure OLB is our highest priority unless you believe Harrison will not be resigned.
2. No. Chung is a Strong Safety not Free Safety. He doesn't have the coverage skills your need at FS. It would be like having Anthony Smith there again.
3a. Good Pick
3b. Won't last that long.
4. Good pick
5. Good pick
6. Good pick, although I thonk Zack Potter from Nebraska will be better.
7. Good pick--risky but potentially big pay off if healthy.

ANPSTEEL
03-20-2009, 11:12 AM
This mock blows

:P
:lol: