PDA

View Full Version : Tidbits from Pro days at Penn State, Cal and Lou-Lafayette

Oviedo
03-19-2009, 12:31 PM
The Steelers also attended Pro Day workouts yesterday at N.C. State, Cal, Penn State, and Louisiana-Lafayette. The Cal workout, of course, included center Alex Mack, who did only 20 reps. An encouraging sign at the Penn State workout was the 4.37 40 run by WR/RS Derrick Williams (also reported in The Morning Call). He'd be an ideal third-round fit for the Steelers. At Lafayette, the Steelers are hot on the trail of wide receiver Jason Chery, a fringe draft prospect who, if I'm reading this story correctly, ran back seven kickoffs for touchdowns last season. Chery's considered a fringe draft pick with teams more interested in him as a returner versus WR.

Only 20 reps for mack? if this was any other O lineman other than mack folks would be howling about how weak he is or his arm length, etc. Mack is not as good and guaranteed for greatness as everyone believes.

Great news about Williams. I would love to get him in Round 3, but I think we would have to trade up to do so into the top third of the round. However, if we traded out of 1.32 into the top of Round 2 I think we would get an extra high Round 3 pick and probably still get one of the players who could help us.

I'm all for the trade down out of Round 1 into the top 8-10 picks of Round 2.

WoodleyofTroy
03-19-2009, 01:41 PM
The Steelers also attended Pro Day workouts yesterday at N.C. State, Cal, Penn State, and Louisiana-Lafayette. The Cal workout, of course, included center Alex Mack, who did only 20 reps. An encouraging sign at the Penn State workout was the 4.37 40 run by WR/RS Derrick Williams (also reported in The Morning Call). He'd be an ideal third-round fit for the Steelers. At Lafayette, the Steelers are hot on the trail of wide receiver Jason Chery, a fringe draft prospect who, if I'm reading this story correctly, ran back seven kickoffs for touchdowns last season. Chery's considered a fringe draft pick with teams more interested in him as a returner versus WR.

Only 20 reps for mack? if this was any other O lineman other than mack folks would be howling about how weak he is or his arm length, etc. Mack is not as good and guaranteed for greatness as everyone believes.

Great news about Williams. I would love to get him in Round 3, but I think we would have to trade up to do so into the top third of the round. However, if we traded out of 1.32 into the top of Round 2 I think we would get an extra high Round 3 pick and probably still get one of the players who could help us.

What's up brah, how much can you bench? :roll: Max Unger and Antoine Caldwell did 22 reps, I don't see anyone howling about that. Michael Oher did 21 reps. Eugene Monroe did 23. You're obviously just trying to make case stronger for the Steelers drafting Brace, by downplaying Mack who is clearly the better value.

Oviedo
03-19-2009, 02:40 PM

What's up brah, how much can you bench? :roll: Max Unger and Antoine Caldwell did 22 reps, I don't see anyone howling about that. Michael Oher did 21 reps. Eugene Monroe did 23. You're obviously just trying to make case stronger for the Steelers drafting Brace, by downplaying Mack who is clearly the better value.

When the strength of your team is the defense and you need a NT which are a more precious commodity to find in the NFL now I don't need to downplay anyone. The facts speak for themselves.

In my prime I was able to do 225 maybe 6-7 times max but those days are in the past but I'm was never trying to play in the NFL just humping 120mm and 25mm ammo for amored vehicles.

I was just poking at the "Mack love" crowd because they will ignore anything negative about him and emphasize that in others to "up play" him. It is the game we all play for our favorites. I do honestly wonder why people who watch these players for a living seemed much higher on Mack a couple of years ago than they do now? Not all but a number have ranked him behind Unger and/or Wood.

WoodleyofTroy
03-19-2009, 03:16 PM

When the strength of your team is the defense and you need a NT which are a more precious commodity to find in the NFL now I don't need to downplay anyone. The facts speak for themselves.

In my prime I was able to do 225 maybe 6-7 times max but those days are in the past but I'm was never trying to play in the NFL just humping 120mm and 25mm ammo for amored vehicles.

I was just poking at the "Mack love" crowd because they will ignore anything negative about him and emphasize that in others to "up play" him. It is the game we all play for our favorites. I do honestly wonder why people who watch these players for a living seemed much higher on Mack a couple of years ago than they do now? Not all but a number have ranked him behind Unger and/or Wood.

I think like most prospects, when they first come on the scene, you get that anxiety filled hype from the analysts, pushing their stock up in the eyes of the fans. Then when time goes by, they no longer want to beat a dead horse, making someone else the flavor of the month, proving to us the viewers that they know what their talking about (i.e. Anyone can rate Michael Crabtree the #1 Wide Receiver).

As for Unger and Wood. Unger is a great pass blocker with versatility, who CAN be all pro at a given position (don't take his ability to be versatile as a sign that he can't find a home), and Wood has that mental makeup, toughness, and push inside the Steelers are usually attracted to.

I think Mack is a mixture of both and the most complete. But like I said before, it's really not saying much, because all 3 are right there. It's like Eli, Rivers, and Roethlisberger getting drafted all over again, but as Centers, in my opinion.

MeetJoeGreene
03-19-2009, 03:49 PM
I am a PSU homer and I am shocked Williams ran a 4.37. He doesn't seem to play that fast. Honestly.

Jom112
03-19-2009, 04:31 PM

20 reps for Mack is fine. Nick Mangold who everyone wants to compare Mack to, did 24 reps. So 4 less reps isn't that bad...

NorthCoast
03-19-2009, 08:24 PM
No one can really say what some of the behind-the-scenes scheming is going on. Did Mack (or any other draft prospect for that matter) sandbag so they slide in the draft to their 'target' team? I am one who discounts that theory solely from the standpoint of the money they would be sacrificing. A slide out of the top 10 could cost a guy several millions in bonus money. When you are young and starving its all about the $$$.

Jom112
03-19-2009, 10:34 PM
No one can really say what some of the behind-the-scenes scheming is going on. Did Mack (or any other draft prospect for that matter) sandbag so they slide in the draft to their 'target' team? I am one who discounts that theory solely from the standpoint of the money they would be sacrificing. A slide out of the top 10 could cost a guy several millions in bonus money. When you are young and starving its all about the $$$.

It's possible, but I don't think Mack was sandbagging at all. When your arms are almost 34 inches you're not going to be able to put up a lot of reps. That's why Oher, Monroe and Andre Smith didn't put up a lot of reps either. The number of reps isn't about pure strength it's more about arm stamina.

We have a center currently on our roster Kyle Cook who put up 40 reps at 225. I would trade him for Mack any day of the week.

(Don't hold me to those comments because Cook is the front runner for the starting center position currently :lol: )

Mick'sTeam
03-19-2009, 10:57 PM
Chery has Willie Reid written all over him. Just my thoughts.

Oviedo
03-20-2009, 08:19 AM
Chery has Willie Reid written all over him. Just my thoughts.

If you are getting him in Round 7 or as a FA then you have nothing to lose. It is interesting they have been looking at so many returners given that they already signed Stefan Logan out of the CFL. What I think this does mean is that they do not under any circumstances want Santonio returning punts.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-20-2009, 08:55 AM
I was disapointd with Mack's bench too. Might help him get to the Steelers but I don't think you can discount him at all watching the film & Sr Bowl. I will have to see what his span was which could give him a little slack. You would want an interior guy in the high 20's at min.

phillyesq
03-20-2009, 10:55 AM
I'll admit that the bench is mildly troubling. But only because I have it in my mind that Chem reported earlier that Mack was getting pushed around a bit at the senior bowl practices. I may be confusing him with Unger, but I don't really have the time now to dig through the old threads.

I don't really watch much college football, so I admit that my opinions of players are formed through various pre-draft scouting reports. Many seem to suggest that Mack is the consensus best center of the group. If he is as good as many say, I absolutely think that he should be the pick if he is there at 1.32.

I'd like to see the Steelers address both lines in this draft early and often. The Steelers put a bandaid on the tackle positions by retaining Starks and Colon on one year deals, but next year they are again facing the possibility of heading into the offseason with their starting tackles both eligible for free agency. Right now, Stapelton is slated as the starting RG, which is somewhat concerning. And there are the age issues across the defensive line.

Both lines need bodies, and it will take more than one draft to address those issues. When the Steelers address the lines, they should focus on taking the best available player. If that guy is Mack, then they should select him. If it is a defensive lineman, he should be the pick.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-20-2009, 12:18 PM
I'll admit that the bench is mildly troubling. But only because I have it in my mind that Chem reported earlier that Mack was getting pushed around a bit at the senior bowl practices. I may be confusing him with Unger, but I don't really have the time now to dig through the old threads.

I don't really watch much college football, so I admit that my opinions of players are formed through various pre-draft scouting reports. Many seem to suggest that Mack is the consensus best center of the group. If he is as good as many say, I absolutely think that he should be the pick if he is there at 1.32.

I'd like to see the Steelers address both lines in this draft early and often. The Steelers put a bandaid on the tackle positions by retaining Starks and Colon on one year deals, but next year they are again facing the possibility of heading into the offseason with their starting tackles both eligible for free agency. Right now, Stapelton is slated as the starting RG, which is somewhat concerning. And there are the age issues across the defensive line.

Both lines need bodies, and it will take more than one draft to address those issues. When the Steelers address the lines, they should focus on taking the best available player. If that guy is Mack, then they should select him. If it is a defensive lineman, he should be the pick.

I think you are confusing him with Unger. After the 1st battle with BJ, Mack stopped BJ dead in his tracks everytime on the 1 on 1 NFL network showed. During the game, Mack was always within the 2 yard depth you like to see a C hold in pass pro. Unger did well with BJ & others. Some plays he got pushed deeper than you want a C in the pocket. Unger is still solid but I like what Mack brings to the table. The bench was puzzling but he shows great strength at the point of attack on film.

Jom112
03-20-2009, 01:56 PM

I think you are confusing him with Unger. After the 1st battle with BJ, Mack stopped BJ dead in his tracks everytime on the 1 on 1 NFL network showed. During the game, Mack was always within the 2 yard depth you like to see a C hold in pass pro. Unger did well with BJ & others. Some plays he got pushed deeper than you want a C in the pocket. Unger is still solid but I like what Mack brings to the table. The bench was puzzling but he shows great strength at the point of attack on film.

You're right it was Unger: http://draftguys.com/index.php/articles ... ace_video/ (http://draftguys.com/index.php/articles/dgtv_1/bj_raji_ron_brace_video/)

Anyone that watches this can see why I don't like Unger...

SidSmythe
03-21-2009, 07:15 PM
Sounds to me the Steelers really wanna address our KICKOFF RETURNER position again this year. I don't think i could handle another year of RUSSELL & DAVIS.

Steel Life
03-22-2009, 12:10 AM
You're right it was Unger: http://draftguys.com/index.php/articles ... ace_video/ (http://draftguys.com/index.php/articles/dgtv_1/bj_raji_ron_brace_video/)

Uggh - You're right about that...it doesn't help his cause at all. After watching the Senior Bowl I think Unger is more valuable to a West-Coast offensive team, where he wouldn't be asked to go toe-to-toe with massive DT's for a long while.

I will say that if we either pass on Mack or miss out, then I lean towards Caldwell in the 3rd & keeping an eye on Robby Felix of Texas-El Paso.

Jom112
03-23-2009, 11:30 AM

Uggh - You're right about that...it doesn't help his cause at all. After watching the Senior Bowl I think Unger is more valuable to a West-Coast offensive team, where he wouldn't be asked to go toe-to-toe with massive DT's for a long while.

I will say that if we either pass on Mack or miss out, then I lean towards Caldwell in the 3rd & keeping an eye on Robby Felix of Texas-El Paso.

Mack, Wood and Caldwell are my top three center prospects right now. I would love it if we get any one of those three (Preferably Mack or Wood).

After that I actually like TJ Lang. Been reading up and watching some film on him lately and he looks like he could be very good interior linemen...