PDA

View Full Version : OT: Pitt is It

flippy
03-19-2009, 11:43 AM
Since there's no college basketball board, I figured I'd put a plug here for Pitt winning the NCAA...... :tt1

I've got Pitt winning it all in my bracket. Do you?

My heart tells me Pitt's finally got the talent to win it.

But my gut tells me, Blair is gonna get sucked into foul trouble against Duke/Villanova or UNC and that could be problematic.

If Blair stays out of foul trouble, the tourney is going to be a cake walk for Pitt. I just don't see any team/player that matches up well with him.

But you have to think every opposing team will coach their players to flop when they are within arms' reach of Blair.

And the NCAA wants to call it tight in the tourney.

Just like the NFL, NCAA basketball is a pansy game come tourney time.

Lets hope for Pitt's sake, they refs let Blari play.

Let Blair play!!!

mshifko
03-19-2009, 11:46 AM
i have picked pitt to win it all, 5 years running...i know, i know...my buddies said, well looks like this might be the year you don't get laughed at...

i honestly think pitt can do it...we're offensively stable, have the close range game, need to work on our perimeter O and we'll be fine...defensively, be more consistant...but i feel jamie will have our guys ready to roll...

HAIL TO PITT

Steeler Expat
03-19-2009, 11:53 AM
I'm very much concerned about the officiating. If it gets called close, Pitt won't get past the Elite 8 unless a lower seed upsets their way to face them. That said, as a Pitt alum, I pick Pitt to win it every year!

calmkiller
03-19-2009, 12:21 PM
:roll:

pfelix73
03-19-2009, 12:23 PM
No way. They'll choke just like the past. UNC or Memphis.

Mister Pittsburgh
03-19-2009, 12:54 PM
If the refs let the players get physical a little bit and don't call every little ticky-tack foul then Pitt could beat anyone. If they call the ticky-tack stuff Blair probably ends up in foul trouble which will kill Pitt. Pitt was able to beat Uconn because both games they let Blair and Thabeet go at it and Blair won the battle both times.

I predict that Pitt will lose before the final due to some officiating crew calling ticky tack calls and Blair missing half the second half as he is on the bench in foul trouble. Either that or Fields will act as a typical NYC Pitt point guard and try and take a close game over in the end like Knight and Krauser used to try and do and just like them he won't get it done.

WoodleyofTroy
03-19-2009, 01:05 PM
This is definitely their best group, being that they have more on Offense, which is what is needed in the tournament. Eventhough their defense isn't Chevy Troutman/Jaron Brown strong, this is the most balanced team they've had overall. And Blair, unlike Taft and Gay, can actually make his damn layups.

I was hoping they would lose the Big East tournament in the first round this year. It's no coincidence that playing in that Championship game every year that they would go on just to stall in the Sweet 16. Time to change things up. I was already confident before, but now am beyond that.

SteelBucks
03-19-2009, 01:05 PM
I'm not a Pitt fan but I do have them winning it all over Memphis in the Finals.

feltdizz
03-19-2009, 03:36 PM
I have PITT.. as usual... but the Tennessee game scares me..
it's the kind of game where they could get run out of the building or a player could get hot.

Usually PITT loses because they face one player who gets red hot. PITT still doesn't have that go to guy in the clutch.. Sam Young is close but if his jumper isn't on he just loses it...

hopefully the loss to WVU in the BE tourney helps PITT. WVU exposed them with the 1-3-1 and Memphis struggled against a #15 when they faced it. I think losing early in the BE tourney is a blessing.. all season i said I would rather be unranked and make the FF then be a #1 and get bounced

frankthetank1
03-19-2009, 05:05 PM
I have PITT.. as usual... but the Tennessee game scares me..
it's the kind of game where they could get run out of the building or a player could get hot.

Usually PITT loses because they face one player who gets red hot. PITT still doesn't have that go to guy in the clutch.. Sam Young is close but if his jumper isn't on he just loses it...

hopefully the loss to WVU in the BE tourney helps PITT. WVU exposed them with the 1-3-1 and Memphis struggled against a #15 when they faced it. I think losing early in the BE tourney is a blessing.. all season i said I would rather be unranked and make the FF then be a #1 and get bounced

that is one of the reasons i picked them to win it all. they usually go deep or win the big east tourney and then do nothing in the ncaa, but i think this is their year. pitt has been an awful team in the tournament at some time they will make a good run. in my opinion this is one of the better if not best pitt team in recent years.

mshifko
03-19-2009, 07:07 PM
This is definitely their best group, being that they have more on Offense, which is what is needed in the tournament. Eventhough their defense isn't Chevy Troutman/Jaron Brown strong, this is the most balanced team they've had overall. And Blair, unlike Taft and Gay, can actually make his damn layups.

I was hoping they would lose the Big East tournament in the first round this year. It's no coincidence that playing in that Championship game every year that they would go on just to stall in the Sweet 16. Time to change things up. I was already confident before, but now am beyond that.

yeah i wasn't mad when we lost to WVU in that opening round...the big east tourny is a grind, just like the regular season is...so in order for us to be fresh and in the right frame of mind, a loss like that needed to happen...this is probably the most explosive offensive pitt team i've seen lately, if levance is fully healthy and can do what he does best, we'll be fine...we need sam young to hit his shots, i believe blair will be refocused and ready for the big stage of the tourny...i'm excited for tomorrow, it just sucks tip off is when i'm at work...no computer either :evil:

Ozey74
03-19-2009, 07:23 PM
I'm not a basketball fan but I do have Pitt winning it all...........just b/c they are Pitt.

:Beer

msp26505
03-19-2009, 07:44 PM
Here's to their annual 2nd round exit. :Cheers

WoodleyofTroy
03-19-2009, 08:15 PM

lol although they lost to Michigan State and Bradley in the 2nd, they're famous for the 3rd round exit...which happened 3 times...you cut them short.

RuthlessBurgher
03-20-2009, 10:00 AM
I'm not a Pitt fan but I do have them winning it all over Memphis in the Finals.

Me too. I'm not a Pitt fan either, but I have the same final matchup and outcome in my bracket.

However, I also picked 14th seeded Cornell to upset 3rd seeded Missouri today. I think it is a man law that you have to pick your alma mater to at least win one game in the tournament if they make it, even though their chances to actually pull it off lie somewhere between slim and none. Won't stop me from rooting, though (even if we are more into hockey and academics than basketball or football).

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
03-20-2009, 04:39 PM
Yikes, they are playing tight, Young's shot is awol.

40-40 with 12:19 to go...LET GO PITT

feltdizz
03-20-2009, 05:37 PM
same old PITT...

They need to fire Dixon if they don't get to the final four... how many times will we see a 28 win team play down to their competition?

Hr should have sat the starters for a few minutes in the first half. Jamie Dixon's teams have no mental toughness..

thank goodness Blair plays with pride.. everyone else refused to rebound or box out. That was embarrassing... why am I so mad after a win? LOL!!!

frankthetank1
03-21-2009, 10:01 AM
same old PITT...

They need to fire Dixon if they don't get to the final four... how many times will we see a 28 win team play down to their competition?

Hr should have sat the starters for a few minutes in the first half. Jamie Dixon's teams have no mental toughness..

thank goodness Blair plays with pride.. everyone else refused to rebound or box out. That was embarrassing... why am I so mad after a win? LOL!!!

i dont know dixon is one of the best coaches when it comes to recruiting. pitt was the same tournament team with ben howlin so i dont think it would be smart to fire dixon. especially when you cannot get a coach that is just as good or better than dixon

papillon
03-22-2009, 09:44 PM
:roll:

How's WVU doing? Oh, wait, they're out...sorry.

Pappy

papillon
03-22-2009, 09:45 PM

Through to the sweet sixteen and a game versus Xavier. :moon

Pappy

WoodleyofTroy
03-22-2009, 09:48 PM
I'll just keep this analysis short and sweet. Pitt finally can make that late game big shot (twice: Young and Fields) in the tourney that they've never been able to do.

And Gibbs could be that secret weapon we've been looking for all these years.

Stay tuned.

feltdizz
03-22-2009, 10:20 PM
Sam Young is a beast... we have never had a player who could carry PITT on his back when the other team was hot. OKSTATE was on fire the first half..

I was hard on Jamie Dixon because that first round game was pathetic.. but wow..
what a game... I'm impressed.. I have never seen a PITT team respond like that in a tourney game..

feltdizz
03-22-2009, 10:22 PM
same old PITT...

i dont know dixon is one of the best coaches when it comes to recruiting. pitt was the same tournament team with ben howlin so i dont think it would be smart to fire dixon. especially when you cannot get a coach that is just as good or better than dixon

true... and he showed me why he is one of the better coaches.. he went and got some scorers... damn Sam Young is so good.. I really think I may actually have a FF bracket that is legit.

SteelStallion
03-24-2009, 07:26 AM
I had Pitt in the final four but not winning it all. When Blair gets in foul trouble they typically lose. That's their Achilles. Their shooting, foul shots and ball handling have been better than in years past. So it's a matter of guessing if/when that happens. But he's been stellar on that for the last month or so. And he's having an awesome tournament.

It's true, Jamie Dixon is a conservatively oriented coach but this is also the best team he's ever had, so we'll see. He also has a great incoming class so they'll be contenders next year as well. They've definitely arrived in basketball. Have a way to go in football.

papillon
03-24-2009, 08:11 AM
I had Pitt in the final four but not winning it all. When Blair gets in foul trouble they typically lose. That's their Achilles. Their shooting, foul shots and ball handling have been better than in years past. So it's a matter of guessing if/when that happens. But he's been stellar on that for the last month or so. And he's having an awesome tournament.

It's true, Jamie Dixon is a conservatively oriented coach but this is also the best team he's ever had, so we'll see. He also has a great incoming class so they'll be contenders next year as well. They've definitely arrived in basketball. Have a way to go in football.

That's an understatement considering where the program was in the late 70s and 80s.

Pappy

SteelStallion
03-24-2009, 10:30 AM

That's an understatement considering where the program was in the late 70s and 80s.

Not really. True they've been nothing since early 80's but they're a quarterback away from being a good football team.

Pappy

Not really. True, they've been nothing since early 80's but they're a quarterback away from being a good football team.

RuthlessBurgher
03-24-2009, 01:18 PM

Not really. True they've been nothing since early 80's but they're a quarterback away from being a good football team.

Pappy

Not really. True, they've been nothing since early 80's but they're a quarterback away from being a good football team.

Like Flacco? Ewww...wait a minute...

feltdizz
03-24-2009, 05:22 PM
exactly.. how the f### did we let Flacco go for these other scrubs...

Wanny HATES good QB's who can throw a decent pass...

AngryAsian
03-25-2009, 01:03 AM
Since there's no college basketball board, I figured I'd put a plug here for Pitt winning the NCAA...... :tt1

I've got Pitt winning it all in my bracket. Do you?

My heart tells me Pitt's finally got the talent to win it.

But my gut tells me, Blair is gonna get sucked into foul trouble against Duke/Villanova or UNC and that could be problematic.

If Blair stays out of foul trouble, the tourney is going to be a cake walk for Pitt. I just don't see any team/player that matches up well with him.

But you have to think every opposing team will coach their players to flop when they are within arms' reach of Blair.

And the NCAA wants to call it tight in the tourney.

Just like the NFL, NCAA basketball is a pansy game come tourney time.

Lets hope for Pitt's sake, they refs let Blari play.

Let Blair play!!!

This was a senitmental pick for me since my Gators wore a manpon all season. I picked them to take it all!!! GO PITT!!!

frankthetank1
03-26-2009, 05:24 PM
same old PITT...

true... and he showed me why he is one of the better coaches.. he went and got some scorers... damn Sam Young is so good.. I really think I may actually have a FF bracket that is legit.

that game especially first half sam young was amazing. he is definetly one of the best players in the country. i think they will have an easier game against xavier. oklahoma st. was on fire and pitt was able to beat them at their best. a team that beat oklahoma in the big 12 tourney. for a one seed pitt has had to play good teams early

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
03-26-2009, 09:40 PM
All Hail the return of the city of champions?!?!?!?

This Pitt team reminds me on one professional football team which resides in the city with the 3 rivers.

How tough is Fields, what a pair this kid has, if he doesn't get a sniff at the next level the game is lost professionally ( personally I already think it is, can't stand the NBA ).

The next game will be a classic, hope theose kids can get it done they are a special bunch.

DukieBoy
03-26-2009, 10:38 PM
Xavier has a nice team. Too bad they are burdened by their proximity to the Bungles.

Blair looks like he could play DE.

Good win tonight. Looking forward to the next one.

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
03-26-2009, 11:37 PM
Xavier has a nice team. Too bad they are burdened by their proximity to the Bungles.

If ur user name is any indication I don't think you will be watching the next game. Nova is movin dukie into the toilet.

Discipline of Steel
03-27-2009, 07:01 AM
Actually, its the opposite...the Dukies WILL be watching the next game...from their living rooms in their houses. haha! Go Pitt (unless they run into my alma mater, MSU)

DukieBoy
03-27-2009, 07:09 AM

If ur user name is any indication I don't think you will be watching the next game. Nova is movin dukie into the toilet.

No Duke fan here boys. Pitt all the way.

feltdizz
03-28-2009, 10:34 PM
Now I know what AZ cards fans felt like in the SB.. not exactly the same but a last second loss hurts..

Ouch.. good try PITT.. Nova 21/22 on FT's.. wow

AkronSteel
03-29-2009, 10:33 AM
That was an amazing game and I really don't think we can take anything away from the Panthers. They played their tails off just couldn't get it done! They had a great year and it was a good time. I have a feeling that they will be back in this position many times in the upcoming years.

SteelStallion
03-29-2009, 11:17 AM
Congratulations to Pitt for an awesome season, having a number one ranking, number one seed, beating a number one twice, making it to the elite eight for the first time, and playing gloriously in their final game against a great Villanova team. In the end, their subpar performance at the foul line cost them the game, and that has been characteristic of Coach Dixon and the Panthers over the years, unfortunately.

AkronSteel
03-29-2009, 11:44 AM
Congratulations to Pitt for an awesome season, having a number one ranking, number one seed, beating a number one twice, making it to the elite eight for the first time, and playing gloriously in their final game against a great Villanova team. In the end, their subpar performance at the foul line cost them the game, and that has been characteristic of Coach Dixon and the Panthers over the years, unfortunately.

Missed Free Throws will kill ya every time. They are called Free for a reason. I coach basketball and I teach my kids that all the time. We work on free throws every practice and they are a part of alot of drills, there is no excuse for shooting under 70% from the line, there really isn't. If taught the proper technique it's the easiest shot in basketball and most of these guys have been playing their whole lives. I just don't understand it?

Mick'sTeam
03-29-2009, 01:50 PM
That was an amazing game and I really don't think we can take anything away from the Panthers. They played their tails off just couldn't get it done! They had a great year and it was a good time. I have a feeling that they will be back in this position many times in the upcoming years.

Unfortunately, I don't think that is true. I think that if it was going to happen, it would have happened this year. Fields and Young are certainly gone, and I wouldn't be surprised if Blair declared for the draft. That is the best trio they have had in the Howland/Dixon era. I would love to see them in this position many times in the upcoming years, but I just think this was their best shot. Also, if they don't get their foul shooting together, they won't stand a chance of winning a championship (see Memphis last year)

WoodleyofTroy
03-29-2009, 02:08 PM

Unfortunately, I don't think that is true. I think that if it was going to happen, it would have happened this year. Fields and Young are certainly gone, and I wouldn't be surprised if Blair declared for the draft. That is the best trio they have had in the Howland/Dixon era. I would love to see them in this position many times in the upcoming years, but I just think this was their best shot. Also, if they don't get their foul shooting together, they won't stand a chance of winning a championship (see Memphis last year)

People have been saying this about Pitt since 2002. After losing Knight, Page, Brown, Troutman, all the Big East fans (particularly Uconn) thought Pitt was just a "one/two" year wonder who will go back to the bottom after they lose that class. Yet they keep bringing in more guys that fit their style of winning. And here we are in 2009. There will always be another Sam Young and Levance Fields.

And that starts next year with Pitt's highest rated recruit ever (top 20) in Forward Dante Taylor.

Fact is, Pitt is comfortable in the Big East and are now a Basketball school. They'll always have a great record, putting themselves in the tourney. Whether they can become a Uconn or not, who can go outside of the conference and win on the road...remains to be seen.

feltdizz
03-29-2009, 03:04 PM

People have been saying this about Pitt since 2002. After losing Knight, Page, Brown, Troutman, all the Big East fans (particularly Uconn) thought Pitt was just a "one/two" year wonder who will go back to the bottom after they lose that class. Yet they keep bringing in more guys that fit their style of winning. And here we are in 2009. There will always be another Sam Young and Levance Fields.

And that starts next year with Pitt's highest rated recruit ever (top 20) in Forward Dante Taylor.

Fact is, Pitt is comfortable in the Big East and are now a Basketball school. They'll always have a great record, putting themselves in the tourney. Whether they can become a Uconn or not, who can go outside of the conference and win on the road...remains to be seen.

exactly... we have the best recruit "on paper" coming to PIIT next year.. if he lives up to the hype and we get another PG from NYC, like we always do there is no reason why we can't get to a FF in a year or 2... I really think the Sweet 16 wall is gone now..

Discipline of Steel
03-29-2009, 07:01 PM
Im still in this thing after MSU whipped up on Louisville! WoooHooo! :Beer

The Huskies Suck! :Agree

frankthetank1
03-31-2009, 05:28 PM

i dont know about that. young and blair are the best two players on one pitt team i have seen, but after them there was a drop off. i think its very possible for pitt to have a better all around team than this one. foul shooting is so huge especially for a physical team like pitt. blair would be stupid not to enter the draft especially with his knees.

flippy
04-01-2009, 11:52 AM
Doh! What's with the full court pressure at the end of the game and giving up an easy layup?

Pitt plays half court defense with no pressure on the ball until it crosses half court to a fault.

WTF was Jamie doing on that last possession?

SHould have stayed conservative.

Jamie's never gonna win the big game.

RuthlessBurgher
04-02-2009, 10:17 AM
From Dale Lolley's blog (to keep this thread football-related):

Blair in the NFL?

Sportingnews.com had an interesting blurb today about Pitt center DeJuan Blair considering the NFL as a potential fallback option if his future in the NBA doesn't work out.

I had the same conversation with somebody in the Steelers front office late in the season last year.

I mentioned that Blair, with his massive wing span and quick feet would be an ideal offensive tackle. He'd just have to put on about 20 or so pounds - which I don't think would be a real problem for him.

The front office official agreed.

That said, Blair has a future in th NBA - if he can develop a 10 to 15-foot jump shot.

You often hear about power forwards trying out for TE in the NFL (a la Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzalez) but I don't recall talk of a basketball player transitioning to tackle.

papillon
04-02-2009, 10:47 AM
From Dale Lolley's blog (to keep this thread football-related):

Blair in the NFL?

Sportingnews.com had an interesting blurb today about Pitt center DeJuan Blair considering the NFL as a potential fallback option if his future in the NBA doesn't work out.

I had the same conversation with somebody in the Steelers front office late in the season last year.

I mentioned that Blair, with his massive wing span and quick feet would be an ideal offensive tackle. He'd just have to put on about 20 or so pounds - which I don't think would be a real problem for him.

The front office official agreed.

That said, Blair has a future in th NBA - if he can develop a 10 to 15-foot jump shot.

You often hear about power forwards trying out for TE in the NFL (a la Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzalez) but I don't recall talk of a basketball player transitioning to tackle.

Hopefully, he'll try to put those 20 or so pounds on while playing basketball at Pitt for 2 more years.

Papillon