PDA

View Full Version : Oviedo's Targeted Defensive Players by Position

Oviedo
03-19-2009, 08:45 AM
Going into building my final Mock and the research I have done he are my “targeted” players by positions on Defense. This is based on the positions in order I think the Steelers really need to get players for. Under each position is how I rate them in order and it is based on players I think we have a realistic chance to get so some top players aren’t there because of where we pick. Obviously I think we definitely need to focus on DL and add a CB into the mix.

DL (Desire 2/one NT and one DE):
Tyson Jackson
Ron Brace (NT)
Jarron Gilbert
Terrence Taylor (NT)
Sammie Lee Hill (NT)
Zack Potter
Roy Miller (NT)
Dorrell Scott
Will Johnson
Kyle Moore
Myron Pryor (NT)
Marlon Favorite (NT)

CB (Desire 1):
Darius Butler
Victor Harris
Keenan Lewis
Mike Mickens
Joe Burnett
Morgan Trent

ILB (Desire 1):
Clay Matthews
Jason Phillips
Darry Beckwith
Scott McKillop

Safety (Would prefer Cb who could swing to S):
Sean Smith
Patrick Chung
Sherrod Martin
Brandon Underwood
CJ Spillman

OLB (Converted DE) (lowest D priority):
Clint Stintim
Conner Barwin
Lawrence Sidbury
David Veikune
Styker Sulak

steelblood
03-19-2009, 10:34 AM
Oviedo,

I like the list. I have one suggestion. Can you separate the SSs and FSs? I think it is a very different skill set. Also, with Clark being a FA next season, we really could use a young FS.

Oviedo
03-19-2009, 10:46 AM
Oviedo,

I like the list. I have one suggestion. Can you separate the SSs and FSs? I think it is a very different skill set. Also, with Clark being a FA next season, we really could use a young FS.

As requested, but as I said I would rather have a CB who can swing to FS.

DL (Desire 2/one NT and one DE):
Tyson Jackson
Ron Brace (NT)
Jarron Gilbert
Terrence Taylor (NT)
Sammie Lee Hill (NT)
Zack Potter
Roy Miller (NT)
Dorrell Scott
Will Johnson
Kyle Moore
Myron Pryor (NT)
Marlon Favorite (NT)

CB (Desire 1):
Darius Butler
Victor Harris
Keenan Lewis
Mike Mickens
Joe Burnett
Morgan Trent

ILB (Desire 1):
Clay Matthews
Jason Phillips
Darry Beckwith
Scott McKillop

Free Safety (Would prefer Cb who could swing to S):
Sherrod Martin
Brandon Underwood
CJ Spillman

Strong Safety:
Sean Smith
Patrick Chung

OLB (Converted DE) (lowest D priority):
Clint Stintim
Conner Barwin
Lawrence Sidbury
David Veikune
Styker Sulak

grotonsteel
03-20-2009, 11:37 AM
Ty Jackson should be available at 1.32. I doubt Steelers will take him though.

Steelers need in 2009 are OG/DT/WR/CB

I think Ron Brace might be the guy if they are not planning to extend Hampton.

RuthlessBurgher
03-20-2009, 12:28 PM

I actually highly doubt that Jackson falls to 32 (although he would make a good young 3-4 DE prospect for us behind all of those 30+ guys if he did fall). Jackson could go as high as 12 to Denver. A lot of teams are converting to a 3-4 this season, and need to start switching over to the right personel. The top ranked 3-4 DE prospect would be a good start for one of these teams.

SteelCzar76
03-20-2009, 04:07 PM
A lot of teams are converting to a 3-4 this season, and need to start switching over to the right personel. The top ranked 3-4 DE prospect would be a good start for one of these teams.

Exactly,...and you want to start with a stud NT,...but if one isn't available you've got to think DE's next,.... followed by your Backers.

grotonsteel
03-21-2009, 09:03 AM

I actually highly doubt that Jackson falls to 32 (although he would make a good young 3-4 DE prospect for us behind all of those 30+ guys if he did fall). Jackson could go as high as 12 to Denver. A lot of teams are converting to a 3-4 this season, and need to start switching over to the right personel. The top ranked 3-4 DE prospect would be a good start for one of these teams.

I am surprised why are Broncos going 3-4? I don't think they have personnel to be a 3-4 team.

I doubt Steelers will take Ty Jackson even though he is available. A SMith is signed long term and i don't think Steelers will have trouble extending Brett Kiesel.

Is there a difference in technique for RDE and LDE position??..i hope i am getting these position names right.. :)

Oviedo
03-21-2009, 04:50 PM

I am surprised why are Broncos going 3-4? I don't think they have personnel to be a 3-4 team.

I doubt Steelers will take Ty Jackson even though he is available. A SMith is signed long term and i don't think Steelers will have trouble extending Brett Kiesel.

Is there a difference in technique for RDE and LDE position??..i hope i am getting these position names right.. :)

The exact reason I think that the Steelers would take Jackson is because of Kiesel and Smith and the complete lack of depth behind them. Remember how the 2007 season went down the tubes when Smith got hurt. Jackson could back up at both LDE and RDE and be ready to start when either Kiesel or Smith move on. Same argument about Brace. Either of those two could be great 1.32 picks.

RuthlessBurgher
03-22-2009, 12:40 AM

I have no idea why the Broncos are converting to a 3-4, because it doesn't fit their personnel at all. But McDaniels came over from New England, and even though McDaniels is an offensive guy, New England operated out of a lot of 3-4 fronts. Plus, I'm sure he noticed that the Steelers and Ravens (both 3-4 teams) were playing the the AFC Championship game. Football is a game of trends, and right now the 3-4 is en vogue.

I'm sure the Broncos would love to have Raji to be their NT, but he likely will go in the top 10, so they may go with Tyson Jackson as a 3-4 DE at 12, unless they fall in love with one of the guys who was a 4-3 DE in college that projects to a 3-4 OLB in the pros (the tweeners that we were usually able to snap up in later rounds, but will now become more rare since so many teams will be running the 3-4...Green Bay is changing too, and I think Kansas City is as well).

As for why we would take Tyson Jackson if he were available, all of our d-linemen are over 30 and all of the backups are over 30 as well. We need developmental youth there because these guys cannot play forever, and it takes some time for a player to be able to adjust to playing DE in a LeBeau 3-4 (even though Jackson wouldn't need to put on the weight that Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel did when we drafted them in the 4th and 7th rounds, respectively).

Oviedo
03-23-2009, 04:01 PM

I have no idea why the Broncos are converting to a 3-4, because it doesn't fit their personnel at all. But McDaniels came over from New England, and even though McDaniels is an offensive guy, New England operated out of a lot of 3-4 fronts. Plus, I'm sure he noticed that the Steelers and Ravens (both 3-4 teams) were playing the the AFC Championship game. Football is a game of trends, and right now the 3-4 is en vogue.

I'm sure the Broncos would love to have Raji to be their NT, but he likely will go in the top 10, so they may go with Tyson Jackson as a 3-4 DE at 12, unless they fall in love with one of the guys who was a 4-3 DE in college that projects to a 3-4 OLB in the pros (the tweeners that we were usually able to snap up in later rounds, but will now become more rare since so many teams will be running the 3-4...Green Bay is changing too, and I think Kansas City is as well).

As for why we would take Tyson Jackson if he were available, all of our d-linemen are over 30 and all of the backups are over 30 as well. We need developmental youth there because these guys cannot play forever, and it takes some time for a player to be able to adjust to playing DE in a LeBeau 3-4 (even though Jackson wouldn't need to put on the weight that Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel did when we drafted them in the 4th and 7th rounds, respectively).

Jackson would be a great pick up for us. Brace would be good.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-24-2009, 09:38 AM
For any new 3-4 team, it is so much more important to get your NT in place than your DEs. The key to success for a 3-4 is the ability for your NT to hold the POA. Beyond that, great DEs are a luxury. Any new 3-4 without their NT in place must be targeting one very early in the draft.