PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got info on these guys?

Chadman
03-19-2009, 02:02 AM
Just a few DL prospects here that Chadman is looking for info on- be it scouting reports or better- first hand accounts of these players...

DE Khalif Mitchell East Carolina

Analysis
Positives: Tall with long arms and good upper- and lower-body strength. ... Fluid when running in space. ... Chases down the line and hustles downfield. ... Can push his man into the backfield when gaining leverage one-on-one. ... Uses his length to wrap up ballcarriers after they get into the hole. ... Has the body and athleticism to play defensive end in the 3-4 alignment.

Negatives: Only adequate quickness off the snap. ... Doesn't play to his strength -- gets too upright and lacks the anchor to hold his ground against double teams. ... Must improve his hand play to get off blocks and beat his man in pass rush. ... Leans into his man too much, costing him balance and allowing linemen to use his movement against him. ... Susceptible to cut blocks because of his height, but has the recovery speed to get up and make a tackle. ... Was substituted out in most rushing situations. ... Lacks great awareness and doesn't keep his eyes in the backfield. ... Medical check required on recent injuries.

NT Terrence Knighton Temple

Analysis
Positives: Good height, length and girth for his position. ... Better-than-expected straight-line speed and change-of-direction ability, able to sniff out and disrupt screen plays. ... Will chase plays downfield. ... Strong upfield rush, either up the shoulder of his defender or splitting double teams. ... Uses his long arms to wrap up in the open field or track down ballcarriers coming through the hole. ... Flashes violent hands, especially when his man retreats off the snap in passing situations. ... Active knocking down passes and blocking field goals because of his push, arm length and large hands. ... Keeps cut blocks off his knees. ... Athletic enough to quickly jump on loose balls and get down quickly in short-yardage situations.

Negatives: Might be a nose tackle and three-technique "tweener." ... Not particularly explosive off the snap. ... Doesn't play as strong as his size would indicate and he will stand after the snap, giving up leverage. ... Needs to use his hands more consistently at the line to free himself to make plays or to bull rush his man into the pocket. ... Doesn't have many pass rush moves. ... Must be more consistent pressing after the initial pop.

DE Will Johnson Michigan

DT Marlon Favorite LSU

Analysis
Positives: Active, stout defender with long arms. Uses that length to secure tackles on the line. Chases down the line and hustles downfield after plays. His low center of gravity helps him to get under his man's pads and maintain the line of scrimmage against double teams. Has the strength and hand play to shed blocks and tackle the ballcarrier. Effective spin move when coming after the quarterback. Keeps his eyes in the backfield during the pass rush; will fight until the ball is away. Shows quick, violent hand play at times.

Negatives: Shorter than scouts prefer at defensive tackle. Big in the middle but has only adequate girth. Plays the three-technique for LSU but will be better covering the A-gaps in the NFL. Lacks straight-line speed to catch ballcarriers from behind. Most of his plays behind the line will be due to hustle and good coverage instead of a great initial burst off the snap. Must be more consistent using his hands to defeat cut blocks, although he generally recovers well. Stamina is an issue, as he was part of a constant rotation at LSU.

Any info on these guys would be appreciated....just looking at later round DL options...just for interests sake...

steelblood
03-19-2009, 07:55 AM
for a discussion of 3-4 DLinemen...

http://www.steelerstrong.proboards.com/ ... thread=987 (http://www.steelerstrong.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=nfldraft&action=display&thread=987)

RuthlessBurgher
03-19-2009, 08:01 AM
Marlon's my Favorite. :wink:

Oviedo
03-19-2009, 08:15 AM
Will Johnson would be a good late pick in the draft. He has 3-4 DE written all over him. He doesn't have gaudy stats but I think I saw at the Michigan Pro day he lifted something like 47 reps on the 225 bench.

IMO, he would be a good developmental pick up and we have done well with players from Michigan in the past.

I think Favorite is very much a NT in the LeBeau system provided he can add some weight and not lose too much. However, if we miss or pass on Ron Brace I'd still like us to look at another Michigan DLman in Terrence Taylor for NT. For whatever reason he dropped weight his senior year and his performance slipped. That may be a result of the new coaching staff under Rodriguez and new schemes but if he could add another 20-25lbs he would be a solid mid-round addition.

pfelix73
03-19-2009, 10:54 AM
Considering I am a Pirate, I know that our DL was one our strengths this past year and that the defensive coaching staff is one of the best around under Skip. We still have a deep DL in Greenville and few more should be up for NFL talk next year at this time.....

Mitchell is going to surprise some people once he gets in to a camp somewhere. IF he would've played at PSU for example, he'd be getting more press, etc.

GO Steelers!

GO Pirates! ECU that is.....

steelblood
03-19-2009, 11:40 AM
Considering I am a Pirate, I know that our DL was one our strengths this past year and that the defensive coaching staff is one of the best around under Skip. We still have a deep DL in Greenville and few more should be up for NFL talk next year at this time.....

Mitchell is going to surprise some people once he gets in to a camp somewhere. IF he would've played at PSU for example, he'd be getting more press, etc.

GO Steelers!

GO Pirates! ECU that is.....

How about some specifics? If you've seen him play quite a bit, tell us more.

steelz09
03-19-2009, 12:23 PM
http://www.steelerstrong.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=nfldraft&action=display&thread=987

Don't post the link to another board especially one that requires registration to view the contents. If you want, you can post the contents of the thread your talking about which is the preferred method.