PDA

View Full Version : Woodley to "slim down" ?

SteelHead
03-18-2009, 03:44 PM
http://news.steelers.com/article/104143/

Woodley ready to meet the challenge
Wednesday, March 18, 2009

By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com
LaMarr Woodley was one of the last players out of the locker room following the Steelers first few days of voluntary offseason workouts. And he didn’t seem to mind it one bit.

Woodley is taking part in the workouts that are mainly attended by younger players who didn’t see much playing time last year and he is doing it just because he wants to.

“I am here by my own choice,” said Woodley. “I will be here for a while, go back to Ann Arbor for a while and work out, then come back. When you volunteer to be here, it means you really want to be here. It means you want to do it.”

It’s been a nice change of pace for Woodley, who has been traveling almost every week since the Super Bowl, and has appeared on BET’s 106 & Park and Rip the Runway Fashion show, where he hit the catwalk.

He also will throw out the first pitch at the home opener for the Altoona Curve on Thursday, April 16 when they host the Erie SeaWolves at Blair County Ballpark. The Curve is the Pittsburgh Pirates Class AA Affiliate.

“It’s going to be fun,” said Woodley. “A lot of people are asking me if I can get it to the plate. I definitely don’t want to embarrass myself. I have to get it to the plate. I am looking forward to watching the game too.

“Since the Super Bowl I have been flying every week, going to different cities and I kind of miss working out. I just started up working out last week. This is my second week. There are a few aches and pains. I want to try and get my weight down. I want to play at a different weight this year, coming in this season.”

Another thing Woodley wants to do this season is improve on his performance from 2008. As a first-year starter at outside linebacker he was impressive with 11.5 sacks in the regular season, while adding six in the post-season, two in each game including Super Bowl XLIII. Improving on that will be a challenge, one that he is up for.

“What I did last year showed everybody what I’ve got,” said Woodley. “I went out there and had 11 sacks. I helped the team win the Super Bowl. A lot of people are going to be wondering if I can come back and do the same thing, will I be the same type of player or will I go up or go down. I am the type of player that I always like to go up. I want to do better than what I did this year.”

He will take that not just as an individual challenge, but as a team challenge as well. Woodley is only entering his third season with the Steelers so he wasn’t a part of the 2005 team that won Super Bowl XL but failed to make the playoffs in 2006. The last thing he wants is to see that kind of history repeat itself.

“Winning the Super Bowl everybody is going to want to see how we react this year,” said Woodley. “You have to focus on next season. Everybody wants to see what type of team you are going to be coming back this year.

“We want to go into this season with the right attitude and show everybody across the league we are going to come back and compete for another championship. Coming back it really brings you back to life.”

I think everyone out there in Steeler Nation agrees , the guy is a STUD. Certainly his sack totals dramatically declined in the second half of the season but he was still getting consistent pressure and stuffing the run. Plus he stepped it up big time in the playoffs and Superbowl. I love this guys attitude and I do agree that he would benefit from playing maybe 10-15 lbs lighter this year. It may help with some of the fatigue he suffered late in the season last year. Actually now that I think about it , maybe that was his "rookie wall" , he didn't play much his actual rookie season so maybe that plays into it as well. I'd like to see him give those extra lb's he's planning on losing to Bruce Davis !

steelsnis
03-18-2009, 06:30 PM
I'm guessing he wants to get his weight down so he can be more effective when he drops into coverage. He's already shown a great ability to do that, but I'd bet he'll be even better playing 10 lbs lighter.

Chavezz
03-18-2009, 07:16 PM
I think he'll be more effective as long as he can still hold up against the run. Even though he had 11 sacks, there were quite a few plays where he was half a step from getting to the QB.

Maybe he, and the coaching staff saw that and thought he'd be a half step quicker if he was a little lighter.

I think it's a good idea.

I'd love to see more of Bruce Davis this preseason too. I'm hoping he's bulked up some.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-19-2009, 10:53 AM
He seemed to tire in the second half of the season, but was rejuvenated for the playoffs. I'm sure the week off prior to our first playoff game and another for the SB helped with that. Dropping the weight, along with the experience of starting a full season should help.

Oracle
03-19-2009, 05:01 PM
chavezz -

excellent point. woodley could've very easily had six or seven more sacks. there were many times i saw as well when he was not a 'step' late, but 'half a step' late, sometimes just a few inches, literally. not that i'm criticizing him but our entire defensive pass rush scheme is designed to get woodley sacks. our three DL occupy the blockers, harrison draws the double team, that leaves woodley one on one. he MUST beat his man and beat him quickly and dropping 10 pounds will definitely help.

SteelCzar76
03-20-2009, 04:14 PM
I think Wood could drop 11 pounds without it being a detriment to his explosiveness as he has a great deal of natural base (lower body) strength. What i do find considerably admirable about this kid is his drive and competitive spirit.

Alot of young cats would allow the kind of succes that he's had go to their heads,...but he trains as though he has no ceiling,..and thereby in essence there are nearly no limits as to how much even better he can become.

Mel Blount's G
03-20-2009, 08:20 PM
I've been coming to hold the belief that destiny has greatness in store for L-Wood as a
Steeler OLB. As someone alluded to, he has a fantastic work ethic and when you add this to natural god-given talent and an imposing will.....

As a bonus, his ego doesn't seem overly large. Though if/when he does achieve greatness on the playing field, that will be harshly tested.

I too hope we see a LOT of Bruce Davis in pre-season. His potential (as well as his selection with our 3rd round pick last year) is still a huge question mark for me. I was dissapointed we didn't get to see much at all of him last year, even on special teams. Btw I do realize I'm a spoiled fan who knows quite a little about quite a lot regarding the NFL and just because a rook doesn't play hardly at all doesn't mean his name is now Bruce Bustis or Bust Davis :P :!: :oops: :?:

SidSmythe
03-20-2009, 10:57 PM
Woodley's biggest NON sack this year was against the Cowboys . . he forced Romo's poor decision leading to D.T.'s game winning INT for a TD.

I'm not huge on a player losing weight unless it's pure bodyfat!!