PDA

View Full Version : The Value of selecting Mack

steeler_george
03-18-2009, 09:45 AM
I agree that we need to upgrade our line, not just going in this year, but also for the future. Clearly a player of Mack's caliber would be in the right direction; however, with this draft being pretty deep in the center position, would he be the best value at 32?

He is clear the best of the bunch, but how much more better is he than the rest?

Would it better investment to select another valued player at a different position in the 1st and still end up with one of the following in the 2nd or 3rd?

Max Unger Oregon

Eriic Wood Louisville

Jonathon Luigs Arkansas

Antoine Caldwell Alabama

Shipley--------> how did he win the Rimington Trophy in 2008, which is given annually to the nation's top center over Mack and not rated as high as the rest?

Oviedo
03-18-2009, 09:50 AM
I have long argued in this forum that the most precious commodity for 1.32 would be on the DL with Tyson Jackson or Ron Brace.

IMO you can pass on mack at 1.32 and still get a solid Center/Guard in Round 2 or 3. If you miss on Jackson or Brace in Round 1 there is no comparable DL.

Everyone forgets how our season went in the tank after Aaron Smith was hurt in 2007. We dodged that bullet in 2008. I'm not sure I want to risk that in 2009 and I definitely don't want to hope that Hampton acts professional and comes into camp in top condition.

Mack may be the best but he is the best among a deep group of Centers and several of the others are not that far behind him.

RuthlessBurgher
03-18-2009, 10:04 AM
Shipley--------> how did he win the Rimington Trophy in 2008, which is given annually to the nation's top center over Mack and not rated as high as the rest?

Shipley has short arms. That is a liability as an inline blocker in the NFL. Just like the games of some Heisman Trophy winning QB's do not translate well to the pro game, you could have a Rimington Trophy winning center who is the sixth rated center instead of the first. A few years ago, we drafted Rimington Award winning center Marvin Philip (who was coincidentally replaced by Alex Mack at Cal when he graduated), and his game did not translate to the NFL even though he got the award as college football's best center that year.

WoodleyofTroy
03-18-2009, 10:21 AM
Only Max Unger and Eric Wood would change my mind about going with Alex Mack at #32. But then you may have to trade up, or hold your breath all the way until #64. The reason most are high on Alex Mack is not because he is a Center, but the best player available who happens to be on the Offensive Line. If Mack doesn't end up in Pittsburgh, I don't find it necessary to go out of our way to draft a Center later on, passing up better players.

For me it's one of those 3, or none.

WoodleyofTroy
03-18-2009, 10:26 AM
I have long argued in this forum that the most precious commodity for 1.32 would be on the DL with Tyson Jackson or Ron Brace.

IMO you can pass on mack at 1.32 and still get a solid Center/Guard in Round 2 or 3. If you miss on Jackson or Brace in Round 1 there is no comparable DL.

After Jackson/Brace you have Jarron Gilbert, Evander Hood and Fili Moala. Then after Mack, you have Unger and Eric Wood. It's pretty much even on a talent value level.

RuthlessBurgher
03-18-2009, 10:31 AM
Only Max Unger and Eric Wood would change my mind about going with Alex Mack at #32. But then you may have to trade up, or hold your breath all the way until #64. The reason most are high on Alex Mack is not because he is a Center, but the best player available who happens to be on the Offensive Line. If Mack doesn't end up in Pittsburgh, I don't find it necessary to go out of our way to draft a Center later on, passing up better players.

If Minnesota passes on Mack in the first, there is no way they would pass on Unger or Wood in the second. I'd imagine that one of the other 30 teams selecting ahead of us in the second round would likely nab the other one, so I think it is even less likely that Unger or Wood would fall to 64 than Mack falling to 32. If the Vikings pass on Mack, I would pounce.

WoodleyofTroy
03-18-2009, 10:39 AM

If Minnesota passes on Mack in the first, there is no way they would pass on Unger or Wood in the second. I'd imagine that one of the other 30 teams selecting ahead of us in the second round would likely nab the other one, so I think it is even less likely that Unger or Wood would fall to 64 than Mack falling to 32. If the Vikings pass on Mack, I would pounce.

You got teams like Baltimore who will be back in the mix. Birk isn't the longterm answer. Cincinnati another, and especially Arizona where that's where Eric Wood has been going in a lot of mocks, #63. Can't count out a surprise team coming out of nowhere as well, being it is the 2nd round.

phillyesq
03-18-2009, 03:20 PM
The Steelers have had great success drafting the best player at a given position (Troy P., Santonio, and Heath Miller come to mind) in a given year. If Mack is there at 32, I think the Steelers almost have to take him. With the big nose tackles in the AFC, I think taking somebody who has the potential to be a perennial pro-bowl center at 1.32 is an excellent value.

I don't think that the defensive line should be ignored in this draft, but there is more of a risk with defensive lineman. I think that Mack is a much safer pick.

Bandito
03-18-2009, 05:32 PM
Well said Phillyesq

Chadman
03-18-2009, 07:48 PM
MACK DRAWS A BIG CROWD TO BERKELEY
Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 18, 2009, 7:27 p.m. EDT
With Cal center Alex Mack recovered from an ankle injury that sidelined him for the scouting combine, NFL scouts and offensive line coaches were eagerly awaiting his Pro Day.

According to Gil Brandt of NFL.com, 30 teams attended the workout session on the Cal campus in Berkeley, Calif.

And the 6-foot-4, 307-pound lineman didnít disappoint.

The potential first-round draft pick ran a 5.17 and a 5.23 in the 40-yard dash. He also registered an 8-10 broad jump, a 4.75 short shuttle and 20 bench press repetitions of 225 pounds.

NKySteeler
03-18-2009, 08:06 PM
I seriously doubt he'll be there at 32... To get him will require trading up... SERIOUSLY trading up alot.

Chadman
03-18-2009, 08:13 PM
I seriously doubt he'll be there at 32... To get him will require trading up... SERIOUSLY trading up alot.

Given that he had so many scouts at his pro-day- totally agree.

steelcityrules!!
03-18-2009, 08:46 PM
While I am a fan of drafting a guy like mack and of his caliber, the notion that WE are interested in him might make other teams clammor that much more for his services. We might have a real play-maker on defense fall into our laps as a result.

It's going to be interesting for sure.

steeler_george
03-19-2009, 06:39 PM
Just assuming since their is so much depth at the center position, could Mack fall in the draft? I don't think so but stranger things have happened!

Or could that have an effect on the other top centers in the draft?

Does that make sense?

RuthlessBurgher
03-19-2009, 06:47 PM

Given that he had so many scouts at his pro-day- totally agree.

When a guy that is widely considered to be the top prospect at his position and a possible first round draft pick is not able to work out at the combine because of injury, it is not surprising that the vast majority of teams would send someone to his Pro Day, since that is their only opportunity to see him work out en masse. Now if a ton of teams also bring him in for a visit to their facilities, then I would start getting concerned.

Ozey74
03-19-2009, 06:51 PM
If the Steelers can pick a TE in round #1, then why not a Center. It wouldn't bother me a bit if we selected Mack in round #1. BUT, A. Shipley came in this week. The Steelers may like him and roll the dice to see if he will be around in round 3 or 4. Gosh, I love draft season!!!

:tt2