PDA

View Full Version : Are Steelers Recession Proof?

MicroBioSteel
03-16-2009, 10:07 PM
Living in Dallas Texas I am acutely aware of the issues surrounding "America's Team". Well, Jerry Jones and Big Blue are not doing so well these days. Jerry has a monster stadium for which he has yet to find anyone to buy the naming rights. I've seen the luxury suites on the news and they are ridiculously extravagant and overpriced in an economic environment with fewer corporation perks. In recent weeks there has been a full court press by the media and through commercials to get people to buy season tickets. This is not the first time I have seen these commercials Every year season tix are available even at the old Stadium so with increased capacity they are really over supplied.

So I digress to the Steelers. In the past I have been critical of the fact that Heinz field has 65,000 tix when we could easily fit 80K and still have the waiting list. However now that the economy has tanked some of those who have licenses will not be able to afford the burden in the future.

Hopefully, real Steeler fans get these licenses and tickets rather than ticket brokers. Either way there are alot of buyers willing to guarantee the teams revenue stream.
I can see the luxury boxes getting less use in the future but even those tix will be purchased some way.

Therefore, I ask....are the Steelers recession proof?

Starlifter
03-16-2009, 10:19 PM
i've often wondered why Heinz was built for around 65k fans, I figure we would easily fill a stadium that could hold 75-80k. perhaps that was part of the consideration. are the rooney's smart enough to realize that at our current size there will always be demand for the seats in Heinz field? Certainly there is evidence that a big stadium doesn't guarantee you'll fill it. look at the jags and their tarped over sections.

as far as dallas goes, it doesn't surprise me in the least that in Jone's delusional fantasy world he probably figured there's always 150k fans that want season tickets. That stadium may well end up being a financial noose around his neck.

It's better to have more fans than seats available than the other way around......