PDA

View Full Version : SCR's 2009 mock draft, version 1.3

steelcityrules!!
03-16-2009, 08:29 PM
OK, too much chatter about pat white and not enough on the stillers upcoming draft.
I am now re-focusing and have an interesting scenario for the first five rounds. I went with my gut here and think the sneaky Colbert has one up his sleeve. Here is a nice blend of skill players, projects, and guys ready to contribute:

#32- Alphonso smith, CB Wake Forest: a legit first-round CB talent falls to the black and gold at the end of the 1st. We have Mack penciled in if smith doesn't fall, but he did and we jump. He blitzes, supports the run, and is excellent in coverage and is a danger to pick off the ball every time he sees action.

#64- Phil Loadholt, OG/OT Oklahoma: questions about his football IQ have been floating around, but the measurables on this guy are off the charts. he is that strong beast that we need in the run game, but with a frame to protect ben on the edge. He slips to us in the 2nd and colbert is having flash-backs to the 2008 draft.

#96- Derrick Williams, WR/PR Penn State: Williams is a great athlete, that is shifty and tough to catch in the open field. His quickness and ability to change direction suit him very well with the ball in his hands, and will be a great fit in the slot, learning from Hines. Great value here, should have been taken by #70

#99ish- Kyle Moore, DE University of Southern Cal: One more year and about 15 lbs of beef would have made Kyle a legit 1st round talent. We have that luxury in the burgh, and the sandwiches to pack on the weight. This guy will be a situational player and understudy of Aaron and Brett, and will come into his own nicely by 2011.

#131- Xavier Fulton, OT Illinois: Absolutely raw talent, but almost unlimited upside. Made the switch to OT from DL as a junior and is a very interesting project. With the right coaching and environment, he could be a real steal in a few years.

#163- Courtney Greene, SS/FS Rutgers: Great Value and one of the top 10 safeties on many boards. Can instantly help on Special teams and will be good depth

Oracle
03-17-2009, 05:44 AM
i gotta say, it's a very unique mock draft... but i like it. at least the first two picks.

i smith and loadholt both have the potential to dominate at their positions. i don't know that those two positions are our areas of greatest need but they would provide good depth.

Oviedo
03-17-2009, 07:53 AM
I really hate CB at 1.32 but I like the rest of your draft. I think we need to go OL or DL with that pick and look for a CB like Keenan Lewis in Round 3.

I think that Loadholdt will be a beast at RT and even better if you move him inside to Guard.

IMO Derrick Williams in Round 3 is a steal. He is definitely a Hines II type player as far as potential.

MeetJoeGreene
03-17-2009, 07:56 AM
That is an excellent mock draft

steelblood
03-17-2009, 08:13 AM
Not bad. Loadholdt may have the frame to protect big Ben, but, as a rookie, he'll struggle mightily to protect him. Phil has had trouble with speed rushers and this will be his achilles heal in the NFL. He'll likely be worse than Colon at first.

SidSmythe
03-17-2009, 09:26 AM

It is very excellent, but unrealistic

No way does Loadholdt drop to the end of the 2nd

No way does Williams drop to the end of the 3rd . . .

PLUS . . . our biggest problems are on the O-LINE & D-LINE.

WoodleyofTroy
03-17-2009, 11:14 AM

lol I'm getting "no way is Dre Moore available for us in the 2nd" flashbacks...

Oviedo
03-17-2009, 11:25 AM

I still wish we had Dre Moore. He is a much better fit for our 3-4 than the Tampa 4-3.

I do think that Loadholdt will be gone by 2.64 but I'd be OK trading up into the middle of Round 2 to get him.

WoodleyofTroy
03-17-2009, 11:50 AM

I still wish we had Dre Moore. He is a much better fit for our 3-4 than the Tampa 4-3.

I do think that Loadholdt will be gone by 2.64 but I'd be OK trading up into the middle of Round 2 to get him.

Like I stated last year when the Dre Moore love fest was going on. He has traits of laziness that I wanted no part of. And that obviously showed when he was passed up 114 times in the Draft last year, going in the middle of the 4th. As for Loadholt, I'd put him anywhere from late 2nd to the 4th. But he has 3rd round written all over him, and is headed in the same direction as Moore.

Oviedo
03-17-2009, 11:59 AM
Not bad. Loadholdt may have the frame to protect big Ben, but, as a rookie, he'll struggle mightily to protect him. Phil has had trouble with speed rushers and this will be his achilles heal in the NFL. He'll likely be worse than Colon at first.

I've long advocated moving Loadholdt inside to Guard. Put the guy "in a phone booth" and he destroys people. Once he gets his hands on them they are dead.

I agree that he will have to learn RT but I think he has a number of physical advantages over Colon given his size.

RuthlessBurgher
03-17-2009, 12:05 PM

I was intrigued by Moore's potential as a 3-4 DE at this time last year, but since he was on Tampa's practice squad all year after they cut him coming out of his rookie training camp, we could have had signed him off their P.S. at any point last season, but we didn't. Must tell you that his character flaws turned off the Pittsburgh brass.

Chadman
03-17-2009, 10:19 PM
OK, too much chatter about pat white and not enough on the stillers upcoming draft.
I am now re-focusing and have an interesting scenario for the first five rounds. I went with my gut here and think the sneaky Colbert has one up his sleeve. Here is a nice blend of skill players, projects, and guys ready to contribute:

#32- Alphonso smith, CB Wake Forest: a legit first-round CB talent falls to the black and gold at the end of the 1st. We have Mack penciled in if smith doesn't fall, but he did and we jump. He blitzes, supports the run, and is excellent in coverage and is a danger to pick off the ball every time he sees action.

#64- Phil Loadholt, OG/OT Oklahoma: questions about his football IQ have been floating around, but the measurables on this guy are off the charts. he is that strong beast that we need in the run game, but with a frame to protect ben on the edge. He slips to us in the 2nd and colbert is having flash-backs to the 2008 draft.

#96- Derrick Williams, WR/PR Penn State: Williams is a great athlete, that is shifty and tough to catch in the open field. His quickness and ability to change direction suit him very well with the ball in his hands, and will be a great fit in the slot, learning from Hines. Great value here, should have been taken by #70

#99ish- Kyle Moore, DE University of Southern Cal: One more year and about 15 lbs of beef would have made Kyle a legit 1st round talent. We have that luxury in the burgh, and the sandwiches to pack on the weight. This guy will be a situational player and understudy of Aaron and Brett, and will come into his own nicely by 2011.

#131- Xavier Fulton, OT Illinois: Absolutely raw talent, but almost unlimited upside. Made the switch to OT from DL as a junior and is a very interesting project. With the right coaching and environment, he could be a real steal in a few years.

#163- Courtney Greene, SS/FS Rutgers: Great Value and one of the top 10 safeties on many boards. Can instantly help on Special teams and will be good depth

Ok, cool mock SCR.

However.... 8)

1. Alphonso Smith, while an excellent CB prospect, is from a small school. The Steelers under Kevin Colbert RARELY grab small school players- particularly on the first day. DJ Moore from Vanderbilt is 'possibly' more likely at #32 if the Steelers go CB.

2. Loadholt will quite probably be gone by this pick.

3. Williams, if still available, is an excellent player in this position. WR in general is a strong option in this draft 'zone'.

3.a) Again- good pick. This could be about the right spot, based on "Colbert History" to pick up a DE.

4. Again- perfect positioning given "Colbert History"- OT's in rounds 3 & 4 seem to be where Big Kev likes to grab them. Fulton played with Rashard Mendenhall too...

5. Safety could be a 'higher' pick than this. Anthony Smith- gone. Ty Carter- Old. Ryan Clark is in his last year & will be 30 at the end of his contract. If William Moore is available at #64.....

WoodleyofTroy
03-18-2009, 12:04 AM
Ok, cool mock SCR.

However.... 8)

1. Alphonso Smith, while an excellent CB prospect, is from a small school. The Steelers under Kevin Colbert RARELY grab small school players- particularly on the first day. DJ Moore from Vanderbilt is 'possibly' more likely at #32 if the Steelers go CB.

I think you keep getting Alphonso Smith confused with somebody else. Smith is from Wake Forest. Not a small school. It's the same conference Colbert got Heath Miller and Lawrence Timmons in, the ACC.

Chadman
03-18-2009, 12:09 AM
Ok, cool mock SCR.

However.... 8)

I think you keep getting Alphonso Smith confused with somebody else. Smith is from Wake Forest. Not a small school. It's the same conference Colbert got Heath Miller and Lawrence Timmons in, the ACC.

No- not getting the player mixed up- but this does show that Chadman is from Australia & has trouble deciding between "Big" schools & "Smal" schools. It's just a pure lack of knowledge. If Chadman F's it up like this again- don't hesitate to point it out!! :D

If Smith is indeed from a good school- then yes, he's a real possibility.

steelcityrules!!
03-18-2009, 07:03 AM
thanks for the replies gents.
the thing about alphonso is he might very well be gone by #32. I feel he would provide that BPA scenario and amplify it. He's likely gone by mid 20's to the pats or something like that little CB from troy or wherever went to the bills I believe last year. (no time to research it now, you catch my drift)

on loadholt, only from what I've been reading is he potentially going to slip down a round or two due to his off-field stuff or his lack of those hard to define "intangibles". He's got all the size in the world, but will he back it up?

I feel if our draft shook out like this, we would have a wealth of depth on an already stacked team, but players on both sides of the ball who could become legit stars at the next level.

:Cheers