PDA

View Full Version : AQ Shipley Visits the Steelers

Oviedo
03-16-2009, 04:05 PM
May be something or nothing since it is easy because he is a local kid.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 16323.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_616323.html)

The Steelers are hosting Penn State center A.Q. Shipley today on the South Side.

Shipley, 6-foot-1 and 304 pounds, won the Rimington Trophy in 2008, which is given annually to the nation's top center.

The Steelers also met with Shipley, a Moon Area High School graduate, at the scouting combine in February in Indianapolis.

RuthlessBurgher
03-16-2009, 04:12 PM
May be something or nothing since it is easy because he is a local kid.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 16323.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_616323.html)

The Steelers are hosting Penn State center A.Q. Shipley today on the South Side.

Shipley, 6-foot-1 and 304 pounds, won the Rimington Trophy in 2008, which is given annually to the nation's top center.

The Steelers also met with Shipley, a Moon Area High School graduate, at the scouting combine in February in Indianapolis.

They might as well, since local kids don't count toward the maximum 30 visits. They also brought in a couple of Pitt guys (which is easy, since they train in the same complex), as noted in the stickied official visit thread.

SidSmythe
03-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Can he play CENTER???

Mel Blount's G
03-16-2009, 08:12 PM
Can he play CENTER???
http://media3.steelers.com/MediaContent//2007/03/09/11/07_FA_0309_Mahan_Sean_kr26_74371.jpg
:loser :x :wft :loser :x :wft :loser :x :wft :loser :x

Chadman
03-17-2009, 12:03 AM
That's twice linked with the Steelers now.

Where there's smoke...

SteelCzar76
03-17-2009, 02:08 AM
Shipley is a hard nosed, hard working, physical "at the point", highly intelligent leader whom IMO,..would be an almost perfect fit for us on the second Day.
The Kid's not flashy,... but short of his wingspan, (no pun intended) he not only has the measurables,...but more importantly,... he's consistent and plays with the confidence necessary for the "trenches".

Bottom line,..."I'm in".

Oviedo
03-17-2009, 07:54 AM

Where there's smoke...

I agree. Could be looking at our Round 4 pick.

papillon
03-17-2009, 08:12 AM

Where there's smoke...

Why not use the comp pick which would essentially be a round 4 pick? Provided, of course, that Mack doesn't make it to 1.32.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
03-17-2009, 08:15 AM

Where there's smoke...

Why not use the comp pick which would essentially be a round 4 pick? Provided, of course, that Mack doesn't make it to 1.32.

Pappy

If Luigs or Caldwell are there at the end of round 3, they would likely be better picks at that point than Shipley.

WoodleyofTroy
03-17-2009, 11:33 AM
Shipley is a hard nosed, hard working, physical "at the point", highly intelligent leader whom IMO,..would be an almost perfect fit for us on the second Day.
The Kid's not flashy,... but short of his wingspan, (no pun intended) he not only has the measurables,...but more importantly,... he's consistent and plays with the confidence necessary for the "trenches".

Bottom line,..."I'm in".

I agree. Perfect fit to be a 2nd day pick for the Steelers, and collect his release papers the following year. Marvin Phillip/Orien Harris/Ryan McBeam/Cameron Stephenson/Bo Lacy/Drew Caylor.

Nothing against Shipley, but the Steelers track record suggests they need to stop playing games and fix the OL/DL at #32/#64 where it is a value and not a reach this year. With guys like Mack/Unger/Wood, Gilbert/Jackson/Moala. Or even Brace, Hood, and Duke Robinson.

If they want to play russian roulette in the later rounds with WR, CB, RB, or LB. Go ahead. We can afford to miss there.

Oviedo
03-17-2009, 11:54 AM

Bottom line,..."I'm in".

I agree. Perfect fit to be a 2nd day pick for the Steelers, and collect his release papers the following year. Marvin Phillip/Orien Harris/Ryan McBeam/Cameron Stephenson/Bo Lacy/Drew Caylor.

Nothing against Shipley, but the Steelers track record suggests they need to stop playing games and fix the OL/DL at #32/#64 where it is a value and not a reach this year. With guys like Mack/Unger/Wood, Gilbert/Jackson/Moala. Or even Brace, Hood, and Duke Robinson.

If they want to play russian roulette in the later rounds with WR, CB, RB, or LB. Go ahead. We can afford to miss there.

IMO #32 and #64 should be one OL and one DL or two OL. Forget this CB nonsense.

No thanks to Duke Robinson.

In my perfect little world I would get:

Scenario 1: Brace at #32 and Urbik or Loadholdt at #64

Scenario 2: Mack at #32 and Urbik or Loadholdt at #64

Steel Life
03-18-2009, 12:30 AM
I respect the kid's effort but he's severely undersized with short arms & small hands, which may be okay against college players but against the likes of Jamaal Williams or Shaun Rogers he won't cut it. So unless you're looking at him as a monster FB or 3rd TE - I just don't see the match.

SteelCzar76
03-18-2009, 09:15 AM

It's my opinion that we cannot afford to play Russian roulette at any position and i don't feel as though Drafting any of your aforementioned players in the 1st will be the measure of whether or not we are doing so or not. None of those guys are "safe" picks,.. with the possible exception of Mack. (And that's not to say he's the second coming of Webster or Hartings,..just solid.)

And from what i've seen from Mack and Shipley's play on the collegiate level,...Shipley is capable of playing just as well as Mack in our system.

WoodleyofTroy
03-18-2009, 10:58 AM
And from what i've seen from Mack and Shipley's play on the collegiate level,...Shipley is capable of playing just as well as Mack in our system.

Yeah kind of like Pat White playing just as good as Ben in our "system". lol wow...Shipley or Mack vs Haloti Ngata?..a no brainer.

Shipley will get ran over in the Pro's, leaving Ben with LESS time than usual, collecting more sacks. You've officially made this team worse with that statement.

Oviedo
03-18-2009, 11:11 AM

Yeah kind of like Pat White playing just as good as Ben in our "system". lol wow...Shipley or Mack vs Haloti Ngata?..a no brainer.

Shipley will get ran over in the Pro's, leaving Ben with LESS time than usual, collecting more sacks. You've officially made this team worse with that statement.

Why would Shipley get run over? Because his arms are 1-2" shorter? It's about functional strength and how solid his footwork is. There is no evidence he is worse than Mack in either of those areas. If anything you can make a legit case that being shorter actually give Shipley an advantage in terms of leverage to get under the bigger NTs.

I would not rush to speculate that Mack is so much better than the other Centers. If anything he receiuved better reviews 2 years ago than he did this past season. I would not rush to say he has regressed.

The opinions of the so called experts are rarely 100% right or wrong. All this "Mack love" is probably not warranted.

SteelCzar76
03-18-2009, 11:15 AM
Why would Shipley get run over? Because his arms are 1-2" shorter? It's about functional strength and how solid his footwork is. There is no evidence he is worse than Mack in either of those areas. If anything you can make a legit case that being shorter actually give Shipley an advantage in terms of leverage to get under the bigger NTs.

Exactly.

RuthlessBurgher
03-18-2009, 11:38 AM

I would not rush to speculate that Mack is so much better than the other Centers. If anything he receiuved better reviews 2 years ago than he did this past season. I would not rush to say he has regressed.

The opinions of the so called experts are rarely 100% right or wrong. All this "Mack love" is probably not warranted.

His arms are actually over 3 inches shorter (combine measurements: Mack 33", Shipley 29.75"). An inch wouldn't be a big deal, but that is a pretty significant amount. A.Q. was the only lineman at the combine with arms less than 30" long. Shipley may have the functional strength and attitude of a Tyrannosaurus Rex, but if he also has T. Rex arms, he won't be able to do a good job of keeping defenders from being able to get into his body when they are rushing him. He also has tiny hands (8.5" inches, smallest among the o-linemen at the combine vs. Mack's 10.75", the biggest amongst the center prospects).

Steel Life
03-18-2009, 09:03 PM
I suspect that if this kid hadn't gone to Penn State, we wouldn't be having this conversation.