PDA

View Full Version : Official Visit Thread

calmkiller
03-16-2009, 03:32 PM
Id like for this to be a sticky if possible so we can keep track of all the visitors like we did last year at the Trib. Perhaps give us an idea of who we are looking at.

Post Gazette

The Steelers today also entertained Penn State center A.Q. Shipley, whose visit does not count against their 30-man limit of college players because he is from Moon. Last week, the Steelers entertained two Pitt players, linebacker Scott McKillop and center C.J. Davis.

So far we have.

Official
C Alex Mack (round 1)
CB Vontae Davis (round 1)
CB Alphonso Smith (round 1-2)
C Max Unger (round 1-2)
S Louis Delmas (round 2)
DE Jarron Gilbert (round 2)
G Andy Levitre (round 2-3)
DT Fili Moala (round 2-3)
OT Phil Loadholt (round 2-3)
CB Sherrod Martin (round 2-3)
LB Lawrence Sidbury (round 2-3)
OG Herman Johnson (round 3)
NT Dorrell Scott (round 3)
DT Sammie Lee Hill (round 3-4)
TE Richard Quinn (round 4)
CB Joe Burnett (round 4-5)
WR/RS Mike Thomas (round 4-5)
QB Nate Davis (Round 5)
CB Donald Washington (Round 5-6)
G Louis Vasquez (round 5-6)
DT Ra'Shon Harris (round 6-7)
FB Frank Summers (round 7 or FA)
CB Don Carey (round 7 or FA)
WR Jason Chery (round 7 or FA)
LB Spence Adkins (round 7 or FA)
WR Travis Shelton
DE Brandon Long

Rumor
DT Ron Brace (round 2)
CB Keenan Lewis (round 2-3)
CB Mike Mickens (round 2-3)
C/G Eric Wood (round 2-3)
G Tyronne Green (round 3-4)
CB Tony Carter (round 7 or FA)
CB Greg Toler (FA)

Non 30 Visit
C A.Q. Shipley (round 4)
LB Scot Mckillop (round 4-5)
C C.J. Davis (round 5-6)
CB Ellis Lankster (round 7 or FA)

calmkiller
03-22-2009, 06:03 PM
Eric Wood is set to visit

http://profootball.scout.com/2/849585.html

When you play in a hard-nosed division like the AFC North, a division thatís known for itís rushing attacks, adding physical, athletic lineman up front is critical. So, itís no surprise that three of the four teams in the division are after the same interior force. A source told Scout.com that the Pittsburgh Steelers, Cincinnati Bengals and Cleveland Browns will entertain Louisville C Eric Wood over the next few weeks.

Steelers offensive line coach Larry Zierlein will fly to Louisville and conduct a private workout with Wood on April 6th, the Bengals will host Wood at their facility on April 14th and the Browns will do the same on April 15th.

A four-year starter at center for Louisville, the 6-foot-4, 310-pound Wood holds the school-record for most consecutive starts at 49. His durability and ability to dominate in the trenches has been noticed during his career and especially during the draft process. To expand Woodís draft horizons even further, teams have been exploring the possibility of moving him to guard, which makes him more versatile.

One of the nation's premier centers, Wood has received plenty of attention as a guard.
Al Messerschmidt/Getty

During a recent Q&A with Scout.com, Wood was asked about what position he preferred to play at the next level and he said, ďIt doesnít really matter. I feel comfortable at both positions right now. Iíve been working a lot at guard, since I havenít had as much experience at it. But the way I look at it, thereís probably a two-thirdís chance Iím going to play guard next season. The fact is that thereíre twice as many guard spots as there are center spots. Iím going to do all that I can to make a team and play as early as possible. I want to start from Day One, thatís my goal; wherever that may be, Iím going to have that same goal in mind.Ē

The offensive line is the most important aspect on a football team, and itís become the in vogue area to upgrade through the draft. Over the last couple of years, the offensive tackle position has been among the most popular to address on draft day, but the interior portion of the line is equally important, and teams are open to using an early pick on a guard or center.

The Steelers have depth issues on their offensive line, an offensive line that allowed their franchise quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger, to be sacked 48 times last season. Drafting an offensive lineman with the 32nd overall pick seems to be the direction the Steelers are going to take on draft day. Woodís draft status over the last two months has ascended dramatically, and he could find his way into the latter part of the first round, possibly being selected by the Steelers.

In the Q&A with Scout.com, Wood stated, ďI could see myself on a tough natured team like the Steelers.Ē He could also see himself on one of the two other teams heíll meet with, since he was born in Ohio.

The Browns and Bengals hold the fifth and sixth picks respectively in the first round, but if Wood happens to fall out of the opening frame, itís possible one of the teams will take him in the second round, as the Browns own the 36th pick, and the Bengals have the 38th pick.

The Browns added some depth on their offensive line during free agency with the signings of John St. Clair and Floyd Womack, but they could use more depth and youth. The Bengals have serious concerns up front, after they allowed unrestricted free agent OT Stacy Andrews to sign with the Philadelphia Eagles, and they havenít shown much interest in retaining their starting center Eric Ghiaciuc, whoís also an unrestricted free agent.
Interestingly enough, Wood is from Cincinnati and was a die-hard Bengals fan growing up.

RuthlessBurgher
03-22-2009, 07:27 PM
Actually, Wood will not count against our 30 visits, since Coach Perv is headed down to conduct a private workout with him in Louisville (he will count as an official visit for our orange-rivals though, since he is scheduled to visit both Cleveland and Cincinnati). I think that Mack is the only center with a first round grade, and Wood will not last to the bottom of the second round, so I am glad that we are not using one of our visits on him. I don't mind that we are sending the o-line coach to his place to give him a closer look, because you never know...the kid could slide unexpectedly in the second round and we might target him if we decide to go d-line or CB in round 1.

phillyesq
03-23-2009, 07:49 AM
Actually, Wood will not count against our 30 visits, since Coach Perv is headed down to conduct a private workout with him in Louisville (he will count as an official visit for our orange-rivals though, since he is scheduled to visit both Cleveland and Cincinnati). I think that Mack is the only center with a first round grade, and Wood will not last to the bottom of the second round, so I am glad that we are not using one of our visits on him. I don't mind that we are sending the o-line coach to his place to give him a closer look, because you never know...the kid could slide unexpectedly in the second round and we might target him if we decide to go d-line or CB in round 1.

I agree that he isn't a first round round, and also agree that he won't make it to the end of the second. I think it makes sense to kick the tires here. If the options the Steelers like at 1.32 are gone, they could trade back a few spots, take Wood, and save the expense of paying a first round pick. Or, the Steelers could also be thinking of packaging picks to move up in the second to grab Wood. Perhaps he slips past the Bengals and Browns and is sitting there mid-second -- it could make a lot of sense for the Steelers to make a move, especially if the other centers are off the board.

Oviedo
03-23-2009, 10:07 AM
Joe Burnett, CB and Returner from UCF is coming April 1.

Philadelphia Eagles cornerback Asante Samuel was drafted by the New England Patriots in the fourth round of the 2003 NFL Draft out of the University of Central Florida. And now the Patriots are checking out another talented cornerback out of UCF by the name of Joe Burnett, a player of such high interest to them that head coach Bill Belichick made the trip to Florida to watch Burnett during a private workout on March 19, as first reported at Scout.com by Charlie Bernstein at our UCF site.

Burnett told Scout.com during a recent phone interview that he had already completed a workout for the Cleveland Browns on March 12, and he has an official visit scheduled with the Pittsburgh Steelers on April 1. At the Combine, he had formal interviews with the New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Jacksonville Jaguars, and the Indianapolis Colts.

In addition to his skills as a cornerback, Burnett led Conference USA in both punt returns average (14.54 yards) and kickoff returns average (28.65 yards). He also finished in the top ten nationally in both categories.

Burnett had toyed with the thought of declaring early and entering the draft after his junior season, but said that returning for his final year was definitely the best decision.

"One of the highlights that I'm most proud of is that I graduated, and that's the best feeling I've ever had, better than running touchdowns back or catching an interception," he said.

And now that it's time for Burnett to move on and pursue his NFL dream, he's ready to make an impact at the next level.

"I think I'm a great cornerback who can cover from all positions and who can recognize routes. I'm a really good bump-and-run cornerback who has seen a lot of schemes, who adjusts well and is able to learn quickly," he said. "They're going to get a very versatile guy who can play corner, play in the slot, and who can also handle returns."

RuthlessBurgher
03-23-2009, 10:17 AM
Joe Burnett, CB and Returner from UCF is coming April 1.

Philadelphia Eagles cornerback Asante Samuel was drafted by the New England Patriots in the fourth round of the 2003 NFL Draft out of the University of Central Florida. And now the Patriots are checking out another talented cornerback out of UCF by the name of Joe Burnett, a player of such high interest to them that head coach Bill Belichick made the trip to Florida to watch Burnett during a private workout on March 19, as first reported at Scout.com by Charlie Bernstein at our UCF site.

Burnett told Scout.com during a recent phone interview that he had already completed a workout for the Cleveland Browns on March 12, and he has an official visit scheduled with the Pittsburgh Steelers on April 1. At the Combine, he had formal interviews with the New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Jacksonville Jaguars, and the Indianapolis Colts.

In addition to his skills as a cornerback, Burnett led Conference USA in both punt returns average (14.54 yards) and kickoff returns average (28.65 yards). He also finished in the top ten nationally in both categories.

Burnett had toyed with the thought of declaring early and entering the draft after his junior season, but said that returning for his final year was definitely the best decision.

"One of the highlights that I'm most proud of is that I graduated, and that's the best feeling I've ever had, better than running touchdowns back or catching an interception," he said.

And now that it's time for Burnett to move on and pursue his NFL dream, he's ready to make an impact at the next level.

"I think I'm a great cornerback who can cover from all positions and who can recognize routes. I'm a really good bump-and-run cornerback who has seen a lot of schemes, who adjusts well and is able to learn quickly," he said. "They're going to get a very versatile guy who can play corner, play in the slot, and who can also handle returns."

Nice. Good mid-round option as a nickel/dime CB prospect and quality return guy as well. I would prefer this to using our first round pick on an Alphonso Smith or Darius Butler type, since I think we have more pressing needs in the trenches on both sides of the ball than we do at corner. I hope it is not an April Fool's joke. :wink:

calmkiller
03-23-2009, 03:01 PM
kffl.com

Steelers | Burnett will visit
Mon, 23 Mar 2009 11:39:44 -0700

Ed Thompson, of Scout.com, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers will meet with Central Florida CB Joe Burnett Wednesday, April 1.

EDIT: Sorry Ruthless/Oviedo didn't see your post until after I posted this.

calmkiller
03-23-2009, 03:03 PM
So far we have.

Official
LB Scot Mckillop
C C.J. Davis
C A.Q. Shipley

Rumor
CB Keenan Lewis
CB Joe Burnett
C Alex Mack

RuthlessBurgher
03-23-2009, 03:07 PM
So far we have.

Official
LB Scot Mckillop
C C.J. Davis
C A.Q. Shipley

Rumor
CB Keenan Lewis
CB Joe Burnett
C Alex Mack

Actually, the 3 that you have listed as "official" don't even count toward our maximum of 30 visits, since they are all local guys (the first two went to Pitt and therefore train at the same facility as the Steelers and the other one grew up in Moon Township)

calmkiller
03-23-2009, 07:51 PM
So far we have.

Official
LB Scot Mckillop
C C.J. Davis
C A.Q. Shipley

Rumor
CB Keenan Lewis
CB Joe Burnett
C Alex Mack

Actually, the 3 that you have listed as "official" don't even count toward our maximum of 30 visits, since they are all local guys (the first two went to Pitt and therefore train at the same facility as the Steelers and the other one grew up in Moon Township)

indeed but they are the only ones so far to actually have visited the facility. I will rephrase it for better understanding in my next summary.

calmkiller
03-24-2009, 01:01 PM
scout.com

Our senior analyst at Scout, Ed Thompson, provided some fresh news last night: The Steelers have scheduled South Side visits for Arizona WR/RS Mike Thomas (March 30-31) and Cal center Alex Mack (April 4-5). Mack, of course, has been a focus of every draft analyst who watched the Steelers' OL interior last season. He projects as an early second-round pick. Thomas projects to be a late second-round pick, and I'm certain the Steelers will look into the much-discussed shoving match with his coach during Arizona's bowl game

So far we have.

Official
CB Joe Burnett
C Alex Mack
WR/RS Mike Thomas

Rumor
CB Keenan Lewis

Non 30 Visit
LB Scot Mckillop
C C.J. Davis
C A.Q. Shipley

RuthlessBurgher
03-24-2009, 01:13 PM
Our senior analyst at Scout, Ed Thompson, provided some fresh news last night: The Steelers have scheduled South Side visits for Arizona WR/RS Mike Thomas (March 30-31) and Cal center Alex Mack (April 4-5). Mack, of course, has been a focus of every draft analyst who watched the Steelers' OL interior last season. He projects as an early second-round pick. Thomas projects to be a late second-round pick, and I'm certain the Steelers will look into the much-discussed shoving match with his coach during Arizona's bowl game

I like all 3 of those guys as potential targets, but I have to question what this guy is smoking to consider Thomas to be a late second round guy (dude measured in at 5' 7 7/8" at the combine). I like Mack in the first and both Burnett and Thomas as mid-round targets. Maybe Burnett as early as the 4th (since many other teams are showing interest now) and wait to see if Thomas lasts until the 5th.

phillyesq
03-26-2009, 01:14 PM
I read on another forum that Dorell Scott has a visit scheduled. There was a quote provided, but no link, so I can't verify.

Jom112
03-26-2009, 01:21 PM
Sammie Lee Hill

Little-known Sammie Lee Hill, a defensive tackle from Stillman College, quietly is getting noticed as the draft approaches.

A league source tells us that Hill, who some think could be picked as high as round two, has scheduled visits with the Jets, Eagles, Buccaneers, Chargers, and Steelers.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/ ... ng-around/ (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/25/sammie-lee-hill-is-getting-around/)

RuthlessBurgher
03-26-2009, 01:31 PM
Sammie Lee Hill

Little-known Sammie Lee Hill, a defensive tackle from Stillman College, quietly is getting noticed as the draft approaches.

A league source tells us that Hill, who some think could be picked as high as round two, has scheduled visits with the Jets, Eagles, Buccaneers, Chargers, and Steelers.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/ ... ng-around/ (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/25/sammie-lee-hill-is-getting-around/)

Nice...he's been on my radar since mock draft season started. I think maybe Colbert is reading the Ruthless mocks this year. :wink:

stlrz d
03-26-2009, 01:47 PM
Sammie Lee Hill

Nice...he's been on my radar since mock draft season started. I think maybe Colbert is reading the Ruthless mocks this year. :wink:

Sammie Lee Hill...sounds like a serial killer. :shock:

RuthlessBurgher
03-26-2009, 01:52 PM
Sammie Lee Hill

Well, since Brady Quinn, Carson Palmer, and Joe Flacco can all be described as "flakes," I hope that he is a cereal killer! :P

calmkiller
03-26-2009, 02:54 PM
as stated before

* According to Scout's Clemson site, the Steelers will be hosting Clemson nose tackle Dorrell Scott in the coming weeks. I'm not so high on Scott, who appears to be late-round backup fodder

So far we have.

Official
CB Joe Burnett
C Alex Mack
WR/RS Mike Thomas

Rumor
CB Keenan Lewis
DT Sammie Lee Hill
NT Dorrell Scott

Non 30 Visit
LB Scot Mckillop
C C.J. Davis
C A.Q. Shipley

stlrz d
03-26-2009, 07:28 PM
Sammie Lee Hill

Well, since Brady Quinn, Carson Palmer, and Joe Flacco can all be described as "flakes," I hope that he is a cereal killer! :P

Someday you'll get that gig in the Catskills. :?

RuthlessBurgher
03-26-2009, 08:18 PM
[quote="stlrz d":2imn24gp]Sammie Lee Hill...sounds like a serial killer. :shock:

Someday you'll get that gig in the Catskills. :?[/quote:2imn24gp]

I'll be here all week. Try the veal. Don't forget to tip your waitresses. :wink:

Jom112
03-27-2009, 03:13 PM
Greg Toler, CB, St. Pauls (In Virgina)

Toler told us in a telephone interview that he has upcoming visits with the Washington Redskins, Houston Texans, San Francisco 49ers, Pittsburgh Steelers, Minnesota Vikings, New York Jets, Arizona Cardinals, Cleveland Browns, Green Bay Packers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Jacksonville Jaguars.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/ ... l-sleeper/ (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/27/st-pauls-toler-is-an-nfl-sleeper/)

Since it's PFT, you can probably file this under the "rumor" category...

RuthlessBurgher
03-27-2009, 03:26 PM
Greg Toler, CB, St. Pauls (In Virgina)

Toler told us in a telephone interview that he has upcoming visits with the Washington Redskins, Houston Texans, San Francisco 49ers, Pittsburgh Steelers, Minnesota Vikings, New York Jets, Arizona Cardinals, Cleveland Browns, Green Bay Packers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Jacksonville Jaguars.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/ ... l-sleeper/ (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/27/st-pauls-toler-is-an-nfl-sleeper/)

Since it's PFT, you can probably file this under the "rumor" category...

I never even heard of this guy (or his school).

Scott Wright has him ranked as the 37th CB at draftcountdown.com.

Cornerback | Senior | St. Paul's Gregory Toler
Height: 6-1 | Weight: 180 | 40-Time: 4.50

Career Statistics
Year GP TKL PBU INT YDS
2005 10 38 13 6 82
2006 10 35 5 1 0
2007 10 37 7 1 0
2008 10 51 13 6 20
Totals 40 161 38 14 102

nfldraftscout.com has him ranked at the 44th CB.

You'll love his college helmet, Jom: :bungalssuck

http://www.saintpauls.edu/spctigers/images/spc_ti2.jpg

Iron Shiek
03-27-2009, 03:45 PM
He even looks like the offspring of Chad Johnson and TJ Houshmandzadeh if his hair was down. Geez....

I'll pass. Is this another Ricardo Colclough gem finding attempt? Its weird alot of teams are rumored to be meeting him...must have some skills...

Chadman
03-28-2009, 09:21 AM
Alphonso Smithís Dance Card Filling Up Fast
Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 27, 2009, 7:11 p.m.
Highly regarded Wake Forest cornerback Alphonso Smith is in heavy demand from NFL teams, according to a league source.

Per the source, Smith is scheduled to visit the Oakland Raiders, New Orleans Saints, Atlanta Falcons, Denver Broncos, Minnesota Vikings, Tennessee Titans, Pittsburgh Steelers, and the New England Patriots.

Projected to be drafted within the first two rounds, Smith is an All-Atlantic Coast Conference selection who was named third-team All-American last season.

The instinctive 5?9?, 193-pounder has 4.47 speed in the 40-yard dash and a 34-inch vertical leap. The only real knock on him is a lack of ideal height.

Smith is the ACCís all-time leader with 21 career interceptions.

Alphonso Smith
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Position: CB
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
College:Wake Forest

HEIGHT- 5'9"
WEIGHT- 190
40 TIME- 4.45

http://www.nflfans.com/x/gallery/files/draft/alphonsosmith.jpg

Pros: Playmaker all over the field..plays well above his listed size..has no problems getting his nose dirty in run support..has been very productive as a blitzer..Great natural athlete, able to flip his hips and cover recievers on the deep pass..very good ball skills..good vertical leaping ability..plays with that cb swagger
Cons: Height..can get over aggresive at times due to gambling for big plays..needs to add bulk..has to learn to be more physical to compensate for his height..needs to develope a better jam technique..

Chadman
03-28-2009, 09:29 AM
The Broncos are looking hard at Andy Levitre of Oregon State, who some feel is the best guard in this year's draft. Last week he had a private workout with Denver's offensive line coach at Pro Day and he will also visit the Broncos. Early last week he visited the Bills. In April, Levitre has visits set up with San Diego, New Orleans, Cleveland and Pittsburgh.

Andy Levitre
Position: OG
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- College: Oregon St

HEIGHT- 6'3"
WEIGHT- 306
40 TIME- 5.25

http://www.nflfans.com/x/gallery/files/draft/AndyLevitre.jpg

Pros: Big guy with some girth. Has a lot of experience and against some of the better players in college. Uses his hands properly and gets a nice initial surger in run blocking. Good work ethic and will lead by example. Very smart and plays with a mean streak. Versatile as he has played every position on the line except center and has lots of strength and above average awareness.
Cons: Needs to work on his initial punch as it is average at best. Not very athletic. Has to learn a new permanent position as he has played tackle primarily all throughout college. Big knock wil be the length of his arms. Will need to refine his techinique as his balance and ability to work in the open field will need some work.

Chadman
03-28-2009, 09:29 AM
Former Florida State cornerback Tony Carter has visits set up with the Cowboys, Texans, Steelers and the Patriots.

Chadman
03-28-2009, 09:30 AM
The Bengals and the Rams have both shown a "tremendous amount of interest" in former Auburn guard Tyronne Green. He has already been on visits - or has visits scheduled - with ten teams: Bengals, Rams, Chargers, Ravens, Rams, Bills, Falcons, Seahawks, Steelers and the Chiefs.

stlrz d
03-28-2009, 11:00 AM
The Bengals and the Rams have both shown a "tremendous amount of interest" in former Auburn guard Tyronne Green. He has already been on visits - or has visits scheduled - with ten teams: Bengals, Rams, Chargers, Ravens, Rams, Bills, Falcons, Seahawks, Steelers and the Chiefs.

Whew...I'm glad to see it's Tyronne Green and not Tyrone Greene...I thought it was this guy!

http://img.snlarc.jt.org/caps/episode_sketches/1982-03-27-7.jpg

Images by Tyrone Greene
Dark and lonely on the summer night.
Kill my landlord, kill my landlord.
Watchdog barking - Do he bite?
Slip in his window,
Break his neck!
Then his house
I start to wreck!
Got no reason --
What the heck!
C-I-L-L ...
My land - lord ...

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/81/81aprose.phtml

I think the Bengals would be MORE interested if it were. :lol:

calmkiller
03-29-2009, 06:10 PM
scout.com

C/G Eric Wood and DE Jarron Gilbert.
Wake Forest CB Alphonso Smith
CB Greg Toler of St. Paul's (Va.)

nose tackle Dorrell Scott Clemson
Auburn guard Tyronne Green
Florida State cornerback Tony Carter
Andy Levitre of Oregon State G

So far we have.

Official
CB Joe Burnett
C Alex Mack
WR/RS Mike Thomas

Rumor
CB Keenan Lewis
DT Sammie Lee Hill
NT Dorrell Scott
C/G Eric Wood
DE Jarron Gilbert.
CB Alphonso Smith
CB Greg Toler
NT Dorrell Scott Clemson
G Tyronne Green
CB Tony Carter
G Oregon State

Non 30 Visit
LB Scot Mckillop
C C.J. Davis
C A.Q. Shipley

Chadman
03-29-2009, 10:01 PM
USC DT Fili Moala told Scout.com that he plans to do a full workout at the school's Pro Day on April 1. The 6-foot-4, 305-pound lineman also said that the Chiefs, Chargers, Steelers, Cardinals, Broncos, Saints, Giants, Cowboys, Browns and Colts were among the teams that he had formal interviews with at the NFL Scouting Combine. So far, he's getting plenty of interest as a DT from teams that run a 4-3 defense and as a DE from teams that primarily use a 3-4 alignment. One of the teams he's already visited is the Buffalo Bills.

steeler_george
03-30-2009, 08:17 AM
Is it possible to list where these players are projected to be selected in the draft?

thanks

RuthlessBurgher
03-30-2009, 09:05 AM
Is it possible to list where these players are projected to be selected in the draft?

thanks

Sure! (projected rounds taken from walterfootball.com...except for Toler, who wasn't ranked, so I identified him as a possible UDFA)

Official
CB Joe Burnett (round 5)
C Alex Mack (round 1)

Rumor
CB Greg Toler (FA)

Non 30 Visit
C C.J. Davis (round 5-6)
C A.Q. Shipley (round 4)

pfelix73
03-30-2009, 10:07 AM
Tyronne Green would look good in the B&G, IMO.

:tt1

Chadman
03-31-2009, 02:26 AM
Jared Cook Aims High
Posted by Mike Florio on March 30, 2009, 9:06 p.m.
Though itís a foregone conclusion that Brandon Pettigrew of Oklahoma State will be the first tight end whose name is called on draft day, South Carolinaís Jared Cook is hoping to cement himself as No. 2.

According to Omar Kelly of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, Cook has already had private workouts with the Dolphins, Rams, and Saints. On Tuesday, Cook will work out for the Browns. On Wednesday, itíll be the Jags.

Next week, he travels to Atlanta.

During his Pro Day workout, Cook was worked out by tight end coaches from the Eagles, Bengals, and Steelers.

Cook raised eyebrows at the Scouting Combine, running the 40-yard dash in 4.5 seconds and jumping 41 inches vertically, 123 inches broadly.

Then again, Vernon Davis raised eyebrows, too.

Somewhere, deep inside, the power-running football fans of Pittsburgh died a little at the news of interest in another TE...still, he IS kinda intriguing....

Chadman
03-31-2009, 09:09 AM
DD.com contributor Josh Buchanan reports ex-Wheaton College cornerback Pete Ittersagen had a visit with the Pittsburgh Steelers and will visit the Jacksonville Jaguars in the coming weeks.

That's ANOTHER late round CB linked with the Steelers...

RuthlessBurgher
03-31-2009, 09:29 AM
DD.com contributor Josh Buchanan reports ex-Wheaton College cornerback Pete Ittersagen had a visit with the Pittsburgh Steelers and will visit the Jacksonville Jaguars in the coming weeks.

That's ANOTHER late round CB linked with the Steelers...

Ranked 66th CB by nfldraftscout.com

Also a return specialist.

http://athletics.wheaton.edu/images/football/2007/5/16/FB-ittersagen2.jpg

12/23/08 - 2008 AFCA DIVISION III COACHESí ALL-AMERICA TEAM: DB Pete Ittersagen 5-10 190 Sr. Wheaton, has been selected AFCA Division III All-American for the 2008 college football season as voted on by the American Football Coaches Association. Ittersagen is the second returnee on this yearís All-America team and was a first team All-CCIW selection at defensive back and return specialist. - American Football Coaches Association

12/19/08 - AP LITTLE ALL-AMERICA FIRST TEAM: Peter Ittersagen, senior, 5-10, 190, Wheaton, has been selected AP Little All-American First Team for the 2008 college football season as voted on by the Associated Press. The Little All-America Team is comprised of the top players in Division II, III and NAIA. Earlier this month Ittersagen was named as the North Region ďDefensive Player of the YearĒ by D3football.com and was a First Team All-Region selection as both a cornerback and return specialist and he is a four-time All-CCIW honoree at cornerback. At cornerback, Ittersagen has recorded 65 total tackles this season, with 49 solo stops. He has three interceptions this season, with 12 passes broken-up. With 61 career passes defended, Ittersagen is among the all-time Division III leaders in the category. Ittersagen has been a dominating force in the return game this season with 992 total return yards and three kicks/punts for touchdowns. He has returned 25 punts for 464 yards, averaging 18.6 yards per return, with two touchdowns. He is currently second in Division III in yards per punt return. He has also racked up 528 yards on 20 kick returns for an average of 26.4 yards per return with one touchdown. Ittersagen has returned a punt for a touchdown five times in his career, to hold Wheatonís career record for punts returned into the end zone. He has eight career returns for a touchdown in his career, with five punts, three interceptions returned for a touchdown and a kickoff returned for a TD. - Wheaton football

Oviedo
03-31-2009, 02:06 PM
Mike Thomas from Arizona was the first official prospect to visit the Steelers today. I like him as a middle round WR candidate along with Austin Collie and Deon Butler.

Draft prospect visits Steelers
Tuesday, March 31, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Mike Thomas, a 5-foot-8 1/2 wide receiver from University of Arizona, became the first college prospect from outside the area to visit the Steelers today.

Thomas earned all-Pac 10 honors last season as a receiver and punt returner. He set the conference record with 259 career receptions and was timed at 4.30 in the 40-yard sprint at the NFL combine in Indianapolis.

The Steelers, who lost No. 3 receiver Nate Washington in free agency, would like to draft a receiver with good speed who also could return punts and/or kickoffs for them.

Thomas is the first of 30 prospects the Steelers are permitted to entertain at their facility before the draft.

First published on March 31, 2009 at 12:28 pm

RuthlessBurgher
03-31-2009, 02:13 PM
Mike Thomas from Arizona was the first official prospect to visit the Steelers today. I like him as a middle round WR candidate along with Austin Collie and Deon Butler.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Mike Thomas, a 5-foot-8 1/2 wide receiver from University of Arizona, became the first college prospect from outside the area to visit the Steelers today.

Thomas earned all-Pac 10 honors last season as a receiver and punt returner. He set the conference record with 259 career receptions and was timed at 4.30 in the 40-yard sprint at the NFL combine in Indianapolis.

The Steelers, who lost No. 3 receiver Nate Washington in free agency, would like to draft a receiver with good speed who also could return punts and/or kickoffs for them.

Thomas is the first of 30 prospects the Steelers are permitted to entertain at their facility before the draft.

Kid's got speed, productivity, and return ability. The only think holding him back is his height.

Oviedo
03-31-2009, 02:18 PM

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Kid's got speed, productivity, and return ability. The only think holding him back is his height.

Could be great in the slot and underneath. Seems to get YAC.

steeler_george
04-01-2009, 07:04 AM
With the articles today, stating that Mike Thomas, Arizona, WR is our first official visit. If that is the case is Mack/Burnett a rumored visit?

Is this list of players accurate?

I maybe wrong, but isn't it 30 prospects (non local) who are suppose to "visit" us. Not us going to them on their pro days? Maybe there should be a separate category of who who we met with at their pro days.

I don't mean to criticize the post (it is a great idea and extremely important topic leading up to the draft) let's keep it going!!!

Oviedo
04-01-2009, 07:50 AM
With the articles today, stating that Mike Thomas, Arizona, WR is our first official visit. If that is the case is Mack/Burnett a rumored visit?

I maybe wrong, but isn't it 30 prospects (non local) who are suppose to "visit" us. Not us going to them on their pro days? Maybe there should be a separate category of who who we met with at their pro days.

I don't mean to criticize the post (it is a great idea and extremely important topic leading up to the draft) let's keep it going!!!

Burnett should be there today (april 1) plus the Steelers were reportedly here in Orlando in the last couple of weeks personally working out Burnett.

BigBen2112
04-01-2009, 08:44 AM

Burnett should be there today (april 1) plus the Steelers were reportedly here in Orlando in the last couple of weeks personally working out Burnett.

Indeed...it doesn't count as a visit unless they actually come to the facilities...the Steelers have gone to have private workouts with some of the players.

Oviedo
04-01-2009, 01:14 PM

Indeed...it doesn't count as a visit unless they actually come to the facilities...the Steelers have gone to have private workouts with some of the players.

I really pulling that we grab Burnett but I think as late as we pick in Round 4 he will be gone.

calmkiller
04-01-2009, 02:32 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 18757.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_618757.html)

Steelers host draft prospects Loadholt, Burnett
Buzz up!

By Scott Brown, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, April 1, 2009
Additional Stories
The Steelers are hosting a pair of draft prospects today. Oklahoma offensive tackle Phil Loadholt and University of Central Florida cornerback/return specialist Joe Burnett are meeting with the coaches at the team's South Side facility.

The 6-8, 345-pound Loadholt anchored the Sooners' offensive line last season. He played left tackle at Oklahoma but could be a right tackle in the NFL.

The 5-11, 192-pound Burnett started four seasons for UCF and excelled as a defensive back and return man.

calmkiller
04-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Official
CB Joe Burnett (round 5)
C Alex Mack (round 1)

Rumor
CB Greg Toler (FA)

Non 30 Visit
C C.J. Davis (round 5-6)
C A.Q. Shipley (round 4)

Chadman
04-02-2009, 12:21 AM
Former Nevada-Las Vegas running back/fullback Frank Summers will be visiting the Pittsburgh Steelers on April 3rd. Pittsburgh's running backs coach already put him through a detailed workout at his March 5th Pro Day . Summers, a potential day two selection, also has a visit scheduled with the San Diego Chargers on April 8th, 2009.

Chadman
04-02-2009, 12:21 AM
Sigmund Bloom of Draftguys.com tells us Texas Tech guard Louis Vasquez has a private workout scheduled tomorrow with the Philadelphia Eagles. He will visit Pittsburgh on April 7th.

Oviedo
04-02-2009, 07:43 AM
Official
CB Joe Burnett (round 5)
C Alex Mack (round 1)

Rumor
CB Greg Toler (FA)

Non 30 Visit
C C.J. Davis (round 5-6)
C A.Q. Shipley (round 4)

We will have to get Burnett at the end of Round 4. He will not not last until the end of Round 5. He is getting lots of buzz here locally. The Patriots have been here and they got the last UCF CB--Asante Samuel. That worked out pretty good and I think that Burnett is better at this point.

I like Loadholdt at 2.64.

RuthlessBurgher
04-02-2009, 09:15 AM
Official
CB Joe Burnett (round 5)
C Alex Mack (round 1)

Rumor
CB Greg Toler (FA)

Non 30 Visit
C C.J. Davis (round 5-6)
C A.Q. Shipley (round 4)

We will have to get Burnett at the end of Round 4. He will not not last until the end of Round 5. He is getting lots of buzz here locally. The Patriots have been here and they got the last UCF CB--Asante Samuel. That worked out pretty good and I think that Burnett is better at this point.

I agree, and I would not have a problem using our 4th round pick on Burnett (I just included those round projections because someone asked for them, and it would be easier to just copy what a respected draft site like walterfootball.com had projected for each of those guys than to come up with projections for all of them myself. Walter listed him as a possible 5th round pick...which means if we wanted him, we would likely have to use our pick at the end of round 4 because he likely won't last until round 5)

Oviedo
04-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Thank goodness they are looking at DL

Oregon defensive tackle visiting Steelers
Thursday, April 02, 2009
Oregon defensive tackle Ra'Shon Harris is visiting the Steelers today as they continue to inspect college draft prospects.

Harris, who is 6-feet-4, 300 pounds, started one season at Oregon and is considered a mid- to late-round draft choice. He is the fourth prospect to visit the Steelers in the past three days. They plan to have 30 prospects visit them at their South Side training complex, the maximum under NFL rules.

Oviedo
04-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Official
CB Joe Burnett (round 5)
C Alex Mack (round 1)

Rumor
CB Greg Toler (FA)

Non 30 Visit
C C.J. Davis (round 5-6)
C A.Q. Shipley (round 4)

I agree, and I would not have a problem using our 4th round pick on Burnett (I just included those round projections because someone asked for them, and it would be easier to just copy what a respected draft site like walterfootball.com had projected for each of those guys than to come up with projections for all of them myself. Walter listed him as a possible 5th round pick...which means if we wanted him, we would likely have to use our pick at the end of round 4 because he likely won't last until round 5)

SteelCityInsider is projecting Burnett as a Round 3 pick. He would be value there because of his return abilities which would give hoim more playing time than the typical back up rookie DB.

I'd take him in Round 3.

calmkiller
04-02-2009, 03:11 PM
12:30 p.m.: Visiting today is Oregon defensive tackle Ra'Shon Harrris (6-3, 298), a potential seventh-round draft pick. According to scouts, the one-year starter is stout enough to draw double teams, but often plays too high and has poor hand usage. He ran the 40 in the 4.9 to 5.1 range and repped 28 times at the Combine, but posted poor numbers in the vertical jump (25-5), broad jump (8-10), short shuttle (4.87) and 3-cone (8.13).

9:30 a.m.: One of the mid to late-round cornerbacks the Steelers interviewed at the Combine, Don Carey of Norfolk State, has scheduled an April 8 visit to the Steelers' South Side facility, according to Scout.com's Ed Thompson.

calmkiller
04-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Official
C Alex Mack (round 1)

Rumor
CB Greg Toler (FA)

Non 30 Visit
C C.J. Davis (round 5-6)
C A.Q. Shipley (round 4)

Chadman
04-02-2009, 07:18 PM

Thursday, April 02, 2009
Oregon defensive tackle Ra'Shon Harris is visiting the Steelers today as they continue to inspect college draft prospects.

Harris, who is 6-feet-4, 300 pounds, started one season at Oregon and is considered a mid- to late-round draft choice. He is the fourth prospect to visit the Steelers in the past three days. They plan to have 30 prospects visit them at their South Side training complex, the maximum under NFL rules.

For those that don't know- Ra'Shon is a Pittsburgh native. He also holds the school record for bench press & was known at Oregon as a team leader. His stats might not be super-impressive, but he might be worth a late flyer.

steelz09
04-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Looks like the Steelers at least have the positions right. They're looking heavy at:

C
OT
G
DT
DE
CB

All positions of heavy need, especially. Colbert HAS to hit on some of these mid rounds this year or this team could be in trouble in the future. Colbert has been terrible at hitting these mid round prospects.

RuthlessBurgher
04-02-2009, 09:02 PM

Thursday, April 02, 2009

For those that don't know- Ra'Shon is a Pittsburgh native. He also holds the school record for bench press & was known at Oregon as a team leader. His stats might not be super-impressive, but he might be worth a late flyer.

Does that mean that he doesn't count against the official 30 (like the two Pitt guys and Shipley from Moon Township)?

Chadman
04-02-2009, 11:08 PM

Thursday, April 02, 2009

Does that mean that he doesn't count against the official 30 (like the two Pitt guys and Shipley from Moon Township)?

Well...he did PLAY for Oregon.....

Chadman
04-04-2009, 08:51 AM
Ed Thompson of scout.com reports ex-Cal-Berkeley center Alex Mack has a visit scheduled with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

And somewhere out there, Steelers fans smile...

RuthlessBurgher
04-04-2009, 09:44 AM
Ed Thompson of scout.com reports ex-Cal-Berkeley center Alex Mack has a visit scheduled with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

http://www.colinheatherly.com/images/Smile.jpg

steelz09
04-04-2009, 10:32 AM

The more I think about it, the more I want Alex Mack at 1.32. If things play out as expected, and a top LT talent doesn't fall then Mack is the clear choice. Britton and/or Beatty aren't BPA compared to Mack. And I really don't think a DT/DE will be BPA compared to Mack. Mack will probably be BPA and a position of need at the same time. An ideal situation.

clock401
04-04-2009, 03:20 PM

Pittsburg, California.

Clock

Chadman
04-04-2009, 07:09 PM

Pittsburg, California.

Clock

Damn Chadman's US knowledge to Hell!

stlrz d
04-04-2009, 09:43 PM

Pittsburg, California.

Clock

There is also a Pittsburg, KS...so don't get confused! :P

RuthlessBurgher
04-05-2009, 12:42 AM

Pittsburg, California.

Clock

That's okay. Most of the folks on here probably didn't get the "Austria...Beautiful! Let's put another shrimp on the barbie!" joke from Dumb and Dumber.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2131/2348317160_e2c3da8345.jpg

Chadman
04-05-2009, 08:23 AM

Pittsburg, California.

Clock

That's okay. Most of the folks on here probably didn't get the "Austria...Beautiful! Let's put another shrimp on the barbie!" joke from Dumb and Dumber.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2131/2348317160_e2c3da8345.jpg

Chadman has been to Austria- those wacky Austrian's could not stop with their 'there are no Kangaroos in Austria' crap to Chadman. Chadman was like- 'dude, Chadman gets it...now stop with the wacky Arnie jokes & move on'. Why? Why are they compelled to sprout that joke on actual Aussies?

stlrz d
04-05-2009, 10:03 AM
Old Man: The male kangaroo doesn't have a pouch only the female has it. The male has pouch envy.

ELAINE: (Chuckles)

Old GUY; at least give me a pocket...I've got things to carry?

ELAINE: (laughs)

Noel turns to Elaine. Jerry raises his eyes to heaven

NOEL: That laugh. That's the laugh. That's it. You're the one.

ELAINE: No, no. It was an accident. It really wasn't my fault. It was Jerry.

Jerry put a Pez dispenser on my leg.

NOEL: You put a Pez dispenser on her leg during my recital?.

JERRY: I didn't know she would laugh.

NOEL: You lied to me George, you lied to me.

GEORGE: No, I, uh, um, wa, wa, What did I do? ... Where are you going?

NOEL: I ... am breaking up ... with you!

GEORGE: You can't break up with me. I've got hand.

NOEL: And you're going to need it.

calmkiller
04-06-2009, 09:37 AM
Scout.com

10 a.m.: In many of the stories circulating about Alex Mack's pending visit with the Steelers, the player's being hailed as "the consensus top-ranked center." However, I have him as the No. 3 center, and I looked at the only other set of rankings I care about, and, yep, Mike Mayock has him No. 3 behind Max Unger and Eric Wood. I looked through my notes for some Mayock comments and found these:

-- "We've got some coach's cut-up tapes on some of these guys. We've got a great one on Eric Wood. He's just killing people."

-- "I've never seen a center snap out of the shotgun and pull and get to the next level like Max Unger."

But the item I'm going the long way around the barn to get at, though, is this exchange I found in these old notes between Mayock and Rich Eisen during one of the NFL Network's combine shows:

Mayock: "Herman Johnson lost 19 pounds between the Senior Bowl and the Combine."

Eisen: "That's what his mom lost about 24 years ago one day."

It's a bit of an exaggeration, but not by much. Johnson, who's scheduled to visit the Steelers with Mack on Monday, was the biggest baby born in the history of Louisiana at 15 pounds, 14 ounces.

"We did a C-section," Dr. Ralph Armstrong told The Advocate of Baton Rouge last Christmas Eve. "By the time I got out of the surgery, word had traveled. There was someone from the local paper waiting to take a picture."

Armstrong whispered "LSU" into baby Herman's ear, and -- voila -- the doc became a prophet.

Johnson measured 6-foot-7, 382 pounds as the LSU left guard, and at the Senior Bowl he played right tackle. He got down to 364 a month later and still ranked as the heaviest of all players at the Combine, where he also had the biggest hands (11.3 inches) of all players and tied Phil Loadholt for the longest arms (36 1/2") among the offensive linemen. Johnson also ran the 40 in 5.53 seconds, a slow time for a team such as the Steelers who are looking to upgrade the mobility of their line. Johnson figures to be a late third-round pick.

* In another prospect note, reporter Bill Huber of The Packer Report shot us a note that the Steelers are showing much interest in former Penn State castoff Chris Baker, who played defensive tackle at Hampton. Here's Huber's outstanding feature on Baker.

* And finally, Scout.com's Ed Thompson reports that the Steelers are showing interest in Wisconsin LB DeAndre Levy.

Also visiting today is defensive tackle Fili Moala

Official
C Alex Mack (round 1)

Rumor
CB Greg Toler (FA)

Non 30 Visit
C C.J. Davis (round 5-6)
C A.Q. Shipley (round 4)

Oviedo
04-06-2009, 03:51 PM
Herman Johnson seems like he could be one of those players who eats himself out of the league in a couple of years and would make Hampton look like a triathelete.

All that weight would have to increase the probability of injuries.

RuthlessBurgher
04-06-2009, 04:17 PM
The doctor whispering "LSU" to the huge baby was kind of funny...especially since it came true (and he is still the largest human in the draft class).

calmkiller
04-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Scout.com

8 a.m.: We figured it was only a matter of time before the Steelers brought in one of the five defensive ends they consider to be first-day prospects, and yesterday was the day for USC's Fili Moala, who was my second-round pick in the Scout.com publisher's mock draft last month.

Moala visited the South Side yesterday along with offensive linemen Alex Mack and Herman Johnson. As has been reported a couple of times previously in this blog, the 6-4, 305-pound Moala is considered by the Steelers to be a first-day DE prospect along with B.J. Raji, Tyson Jackson, Ron Brace and Jarron Gilbert.

As we reported on March 29, Gilbert will visit the Steelers on April 16. Expect visits from Jackson and Brace in the coming days as well.

* A source with Scout.com yesterday tipped me off that the Steelers have already hosted one of my favorite sleeper cornerbacks -- WVU's Ellis Lankster. The 5-9, 191-pounder is a bit on the small side, but he'll hit and he can return punts. He was WVU's full-time PRer (8.6) and part-time KRer (24.4) last season.

Lankster came out of Mobile, Ala., as did teammate Pat White, but came to Morgantown via the junior college route. He sat out his first season at WVU after being arrrested for receiving stolen property (laptop computer) and returned last season to start 13 games. He's considered a late-round prospect, but is receiving plenty of interest after playing well in the Senior Bowl.

* Just a reminder, massive Texas Tech guard Louis Vasquez is scheduled to visit the Steelers today, and Norfolk State cornerback Don Carey will visit tomorrow. Expect guards Tyronne Green and Andy Levitre to visit any day as well.

* A reporter from a publication in New England called me for a mock draft yesterday and, after giving me a quick rundown of who was available, I spit out CB Darius Butler. He asked me for an explanation, and I said "even though he's not that big and physical, and even though he's not a legitimate return man ... " and then I changed my mind. I went with my old standby Eric Wood over Max Unger. I just can't shake the interior linemen, which I feel is a huge need for the Steelers. Then I watched the Senior Bowl again and watched Wood have his way with Raji (although Matt King gave him a bit of trouble). I just think there'll be a less precipitous fall-off to small cornerback than to mobile interior lineman later in the draft, and the Steelers need a No. 1 right guard more than they need a No. 4 cornerback. The dark horse remains Gilbert, the athletic DE who has too much bust potential in my mind. I'm worried about his play against the run, which is imperative in the Steelers' scheme.

* A great story by Nolan Nawrrocki in Pro Football Weekly today eased my mind a bit about having so much interest in Wood and Unger. Those two players, along with Levitre, Brace and my favorite sleeper, A.Q. Shipley, scored well in this statistical attempt to rank hip flexibility by subtracting 20-yard shuttle times from 40-yard dash times. It might just be mumbo jumbo, but if it fits the players I like, then mumbo-jumbo away.

Do WVU Players count as local visits? I will count it as local until told otherwise.

Official
C Alex Mack (round 1)

Rumor
CB Greg Toler (FA)

Non 30 Visit
C C.J. Davis (round 5-6)
C A.Q. Shipley (round 4)

grotonsteel
04-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Steelers are bringing D-line and CB prospects. Fili could be a great pick at 64.

Any news if they are bringing in Duke Robinson for a visit?

grotonsteel
04-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Steelers are bringing D-line and CB prospects. Fili could be a great pick at 64.

Any news if they are bringing in Duke Robinson for a visit?

RuthlessBurgher
04-07-2009, 11:58 AM
Mack, Moala, and Johnson all at the facility at the same time? That's a lot of beef right there (nearly half a ton, actually). Me likey big uglies!!!

calmkiller
04-07-2009, 02:51 PM
PFT

Brace Making NFL Rounds
Posted by Aaron Wilson on April 7, 2009, 1:15 p.m.

Boston College nose guard Ron Brace has visited the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the New Orleans Saints, according to a league source.

The 6?3, 330-pound defensive lineman has also had a private workout on the Boston College campus with the Denver Broncos.

At the NFL Scouting Combine, Brace conducted 14 official interviews with NFL teams, including the Pittsburgh Steelers, Arizona Cardinals, Indianapolis Colts and the Green Bay Packers.

Brace ran the 40-yard dash in 5.48 seconds at the combine, but bench pressed 225 pounds 32 times and registered a 28-inch vertical leap and an 8-3 broad jump. Braceís fastest recorded time in the 40-yard dash is 5.27 seconds.

Over the past two seasons, Brace has recorded a total of 54 tackles, 18 1/2 tackles for losses and 5 1/2 sacks.

Official
C Alex Mack (round 1)

Rumor
DT Ron Brace (round 2)
CB Greg Toler (FA)

Non 30 Visit
C A.Q. Shipley (round 4)
C C.J. Davis (round 5-6)

calmkiller
04-08-2009, 11:46 AM
9 a.m.: Scout.com senior analyst Ed Thompson advised me that two more players have set dates for visits with the Steelers: CB Mike Mickens and OG Andy Levitre will visit the South Side on April 16-17.

Mickens is a 5-11.4, 184-pounder out of Cincinati who has started the last four years and intercepted 14 passes. He missed three games with a knee injury last season and had to leave the Senior Bowl practices early because of inflammation and did not work out at the Combine. He's considered more of a zone corner who needs to add weight and become more physical. He's considered a 3rd-4th round prospect.

Levitre is a 6-2.5, 305-pounder out of Oregon State. He started all but two games the last three seasons, including one at left guard, 20 at right tackle, and 17 at left tackle. He was the team captain and left tackle last season who projects as a 2nd-3rd round guard, with the possibility of playing center.

Added CB Mike Mickens

Official
C Alex Mack (round 1)

Rumor
DT Ron Brace (round 2)
CB Greg Toler (FA)

Non 30 Visit
C A.Q. Shipley (round 4)
C C.J. Davis (round 5-6)

calmkiller
04-08-2009, 02:30 PM
All i have to say is WTF

North Carolina tight end visits Steelers
Wednesday, April 08, 2009
Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Richard Quinn, A 6-4, 260-pound tight end from North Carolina, is visiting the Steelers today. He is one of 30 college prospects expected to visit the team's headquarters on the South Side

RuthlessBurgher
04-08-2009, 03:25 PM
All i have to say is WTF

Richard Quinn, A 6-4, 260-pound tight end from North Carolina, is visiting the Steelers today. He is one of 30 college prospects expected to visit the team's headquarters on the South Side

nfldraftscout has him ranked as their #8 TE, projecting him to be a 4th rounder.

04/08/09 - The Steelers are hosting University of North Carolina tight end Richard Quinn today as they prepare for the NFL draft. The 6-4, 260-pound Quinn played sparingly at North Carolina and caught just 12 passes for 124 yards and a pair of touchdowns during his career. - The Pittsburgh The Tribune-Review

03/17/09 - North Carolina Pro day: One player who has flown under the radar that has done a lot over the past month to help his pro stock is tight end Richard Quinn, according to Coach Davis. "Richard Quinn, I think, has certainly helped himself," said Davis. "I think he had a very impressive Combine. One of his goals today was to run a better 40 time than what he ran at the Combine. I think he was in the mid 4.8's, high 4.8's at the Combine, and he ran a 4.75, 4.78 today, which is a significant help." The pro scouts came to Chapel Hill wanting to see more out of Quinn in terms of his pass-catching abilities, but he has impressed many teams with his blocking skills. "They want to see him (Quinn) catch the football and run routes," said Davis. "He's already built up a great reputation as a really good 'on the line' blocker. There's so many tight ends in college football that are quasi-more receivers than they are blockers. When you get to the National Football League, they really want some guys that can pound and block good defensive ends, and Richard can do that, and because of that he's really gotten a lot of attention in the last couple of months." - Adam Powell, CarolinaBlue

draftcountdown.com ranked him as their #12 rated TE, saying he was a mid-round prospect. Judging by their analysis, he looks solely like a blocking TE.

Richard Quinn
Tight End | Senior | North Carolina
Height: 6-37/8 | Weight: 264 | 40-Time: 4.85

Strengths:
Terrific size and bulk...Strong and powerful...Outstanding blocker...Is stout at the point of attack...Gets a good push in the run game...Able to fit in space...Understands leverage, positioning and angles...Adequate hands...Uses his frame well as a receiver...Real tough...A hard worker.

Weaknesses:
Lacks great timed speed...Doesn't get much separation...Not a vertical threat who will stretch the field...Isn't very elusive...Won't do much after the catch...Is raw as a route runner...Extreme lack of production.

Notes:
Worked as a backup and special teamer as a true freshman...Missed the entire 2006 season with a broken shoulder blade...Took over a starting job in 2007 and 2008...Was hampered by a broken knuckle as a senior but played through it...Had another year of college eligibility available but he had already graduated and opted to go pro...Was not utilized much in the passing game, although the Tar Heels had three future pros at wideout...Profiles as a prototypical #2 tight end and a blocking specialist at the next level but should really excel in that role.

Career Statistics
Year GP Rec Yds YPC TD
2005 9 0 0 0.0 0
2006 0 0 0 0.0 0
2007 12 4 27 6.8 1
2008 13 8 97 12.1 1
Totals 34 12 124 10.3 2

walterfootball.com has him ranked as their #28 TE, projecting him as an undrafted free agent.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0aG77Zo0NVer5/610x.jpg

calmkiller
04-08-2009, 08:21 PM
Vontae Davis In Demand
Posted by Aaron Wilson on April 8, 2009, 4:36 p.m.

Illinois cornerback Vontae Davis, a projected first-round draft pick, is drawing plenty of NFL interest, according to Albert Breer of SportingNews.com.

The younger brother of San Francisco 49ers tight end Vernon Davis has upcoming visits with the Minnesota Vikings and the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Davis previously visited the New England Patrots, Philadelphia Eagles, New York Jets and the Buffalo Bills. He has had private workouts with the Denver Broncos, Cleveland Browns and the Miami Dolphins.

Davisí representatives promptly denied a report last week that the defensive back had allegedly tested positive for marijuana at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Official
C Alex Mack (round 1)

Rumor
DT Ron Brace (round 2)
CB Greg Toler (FA)

Non 30 Visit
C A.Q. Shipley (round 4)
C C.J. Davis (round 5-6)

SteelBucks
04-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Three cornerbacks and one outside linebacker are visiting the Steelers today as they continue to inspect college draft prospects.

The cornerbacks are Donald Washington of Ohio State, Don Carey of Norfolk State and Sherrod Martin of Troy. Lawrence Sidbury, an outside linebacker from Richmond, joined them at the Steelers UPMC training facility.

calmkiller
04-09-2009, 07:19 PM
Three cornerbacks and one outside linebacker are visiting the Steelers today as they continue to inspect college draft prospects.

The cornerbacks are Donald Washington of Ohio State, Don Carey of Norfolk State and Sherrod Martin of Troy. Lawrence Sidbury, an outside linebacker from Richmond, joined them at the Steelers UPMC training facility.

Indeed,

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 19944.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_619944.html)

Official
C Alex Mack (round 1)

Rumor
DT Ron Brace (round 2)
CB Greg Toler (FA)

Non 30 Visit
C A.Q. Shipley (round 4)
C C.J. Davis (round 5-6)

Oviedo
04-10-2009, 10:30 AM
All i have to say is WTF

Insurance if they can't extend Heath Miller. This is why the Steelers are so successful--they think 2+ years out on roster decisions when other teams are totally focused on who will help them next season. Bruce Davis and Tony Hills weren't drafted in Round 3 and 4 last year to help in 2008, they were drafted to help in 2010.

steeler_george
04-10-2009, 03:09 PM

Indeed,

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 19944.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_619944.html)

Official
C Alex Mack (round 1)

Rumor
DT Ron Brace (round 2)
CB Greg Toler (FA)

Non 30 Visit
C A.Q. Shipley (round 4)
C C.J. Davis (round 5-6)

From this list it appears to be heavy in 2-3 rounders...is that fortelling we will probably try to trade back out of first and in the 2nd? Or trade up in the 2-3 rounds.

To tell you the truth all these 2-3 round players are pretty intriguing. I wouldn't be upset to have a handful of them on draft day. ( miola, loadholt, brace, gilbert, wood, etc..)

steelernation77
04-10-2009, 06:17 PM

Don Carey and Sherrod Martin are both pretty intriguing.

Sherrod Martin
Height: 6-1 | Weight: 198 | 40-Time: 4.52

Official Bio

Strengths:
Terrific athlete...Good height...Great speed and acceleration...Smooth with fluid hips...Very physical...An excellent tackler...Will deliver the big hit...Active and aggressive...Very good range...Nice hands and ball skills...Very productive...Tough and will play through pain...Offers some versatility... Solid intangibles ...Is still improving and has upside.

Weaknesses:
Has some health and durability concerns...A little older than the average prospect...Could stand to add weight and bulk up...Might be asked to make a position change ... Didn't always face top competition.

Notes:
Hails from the same college program that produced Osi Umenyiora, DeMarcus Ware and Leodis McKelvin...Played free safety in college but will likely be tried at cornerback in the pros...Will be a 25-year old rookie in 2009...Sat out the 2003 season as a greyshirt...Redshirted in 2006 after undergoing surgery to repair torn labrums in both of his shoulders...Missed a couple of games after breaking three bones in his hand in 2007...Has displayed a lot of perseverance over the years...Had a great senior campaign and really improved his draft stock...Underrated pro prospect with an intriguing set of measurables

Don Carey
Height: 5-111/4 | Weight: 192 | 40-Time: 4.54

Official Bio
Strengths:
Very athletic...Ideal height and decent bulk...Good speed with a burst to recover...Above average strength...Reliable tackler...Physical and tough at the line...Fluid and flips his hips well...Terrific hands and ball skills..Excellent instincts and awareness...Versatile...Extremely smart.

Weaknesses:
Played against a lower level of competition...Still raw when it comes to technique and footwork...Not a great leaper...Short arms...Can be too aggressive at times...Has some trouble getting off blocks...A ' tweener?

Notes:
Was a four-year starter for the Spartans...Played free safety as a true freshman in 2005...Saw action at both cornerback and free safety in 2006...Played cornerback exclusively in 2007 and 2008 and was named 2nd Team All-MEAC both years...A three-time member of the MEAC Commissionerís All-Academic team...Reportedly turned down a chance to attend Yale due to financial considerations...Small school sleeper with solid physical tools and an impressive well-rounded game.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-14-2009, 11:40 AM
From this list it appears to be heavy in 2-3 rounders...is that fortelling we will probably try to trade back out of first and in the 2nd? Or trade up in the 2-3 rounds.

To tell you the truth all these 2-3 round players are pretty intriguing. I wouldn't be upset to have a handful of them on draft day. ( miola, loadholt, brace, gilbert, wood, etc..)
You're right... sorta.

If Mack is there, he's a no-brainer... it's the contention plan in case what they want is gone.

I've done a couple of mocks (to pass time) and I ended up doing trading down.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-14-2009, 11:44 AM
by the way - it bugs me a little that they compain about the o-line in pass pro... and most of the ones visiting are slow afoot. Why Herman Johnson and Phil Loadholt? tyronne Green... I'd take him.

I like Mickens a lot - he's on my short list of CBs. Ballhawk with good hands. Would love to see Trevor Canfield show up on the list at some point, too.

calmkiller
04-14-2009, 02:27 PM
Five more college prospects visit the Steelers
Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Five more college prospects are scheduled to visit the Steelers today as they continue to prepare for the April 25-26 NFL draft.

The five are center Max Unger of Oregon, cornerback Vontae Davis of Illinois, defensive tackles Dorell Scott of Clemson and Sammie Lee Hill of Stillman, and guard Louis Vasquez of Texas Tech.
More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
First published on April 14, 2009 at 11:30 am

Official
C Alex Mack (round 1)
C Max Unger (round 1-2)

Rumor
DT Ron Brace (round 2)
CB Greg Toler (FA)

Non 30 Visit
C A.Q. Shipley (round 4)
C C.J. Davis (round 5-6)

Oviedo
04-15-2009, 01:33 PM
Five more college prospects visit Steelers
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
Five more college prospects are visiting the Steelers today: cornerback Alphonso Smith of Wake Forest, safety Louis Delmas of Western Michigan, defensive lineman Jarron Gilbert of San Jose State, wide reciever Jason Chery of Louisiana-Lafayette, and defensive end Brandon Long of Michigan State.

The Steelers will have entertained up to 30 college prospects at their facility when they end the visits this week

RuthlessBurgher
04-15-2009, 01:50 PM
The Steelers will have entertained up to 30 college prospects at their facility when they end the visits this week

Well, that is good, since the draft is now 10 days away. If they finish the visits this week, they can spend all next week finalizing their draft boards and calling up some potential trade partners to work out the rudimentary parameters of doing business just in case a guy that they really like is within striking distance for a potential trade-up, or in case all of their top tier guys are off the board for a possible trade-down, since teams have less time on the clock to make such deal than they used to after the changes were made for last year's draft, with 10 minutes to make their choice in the first round (used to be 15), 7 minutes in the second round (used to be 10) and 5 minutes in Rounds 3-7 (as always).

calmkiller
04-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Official
C Alex Mack (round 1)
C Max Unger (round 1-2)
S Louis Delmas (round 2)
DE Brandon Long

Rumor
DT Ron Brace (round 2)
CB Greg Toler (FA)

Non 30 Visit
C A.Q. Shipley (round 4)
C C.J. Davis (round 5-6)

Oviedo
04-16-2009, 11:40 AM
So more confirmed for the list:

Four more college players are visiting the Steelers today in the runup to next week's draft: wide receiver Travis Shelton of Temple, linebacker Spence Adkins of Miami, Fla., quarterback Nate Davis of Ball State and guard Andy Levitre of Oregon State.

Can't figure Nate Davis since he will be a Round 3 or 4 pick. I'd rather they take Pat White if they really want a back up QB.

RuthlessBurgher
04-16-2009, 12:11 PM
So more confirmed for the list:

Four more college players are visiting the Steelers today in the runup to next week's draft: wide receiver Travis Shelton of Temple, linebacker Spence Adkins of Miami, Fla., quarterback Nate Davis of Ball State and guard Andy Levitre of Oregon State.

Can't figure Nate Davis since he will be a Round 3 or 4 pick. I'd rather they take Pat White if they really want a back up QB.

According to this in-depth ESPN.com article, Davis' stock is tumbling because of a learning disability. Only one team (the Colts) sent anybody to his Pro Day work out (and that was because they were close by). One quote that was interesting was by Brady Hoke, former Ball State head coach (now at San Diego State): "Now I realize Ball State isn't the NFL but I haven't been around a quarterback with better pocket presence than Nate. And I recruited Tom Brady to Michigan when I was there." With the amount of heat that Ben gets (and gets away from), pocket presence is important for a backup QB if Ben gets hurt. If his stock is indeed plummeting and he can be had with one of our 7th round picks or as an UDFA, he would be an interesting guy to bring in to compete with Dixon and Batch.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=chadiha_jeffri&id=4047057

calmkiller
04-16-2009, 06:45 PM
Official
C Alex Mack (round 1)
C Max Unger (round 1-2)
S Louis Delmas (round 2)
QB Nate Davis (Round 5)
WR Travis Shelton
DE Brandon Long

Rumor
DT Ron Brace (round 2)
CB Greg Toler (FA)

Non 30 Visit
C A.Q. Shipley (round 4)
C C.J. Davis (round 5-6)

Oviedo
04-17-2009, 01:50 PM
Hey CK--Here are the last three prospects to visit for the list

Last three prospects visit Steelers
Friday, April 17, 2009
The Steelers are entertaining their final three college prospects today before next weekend's draft. They are cornerback Ellis Lankster of West Virginia, cornerback Mike Mickens of Cincinnati and wide receiver Louis Murphy of Florida.

A group of 30 college players have visited the Steelers' at their UPMC training facility since March 31, the limit allowed by the NFL.

My rough count by position is:

OL-7 prospects
DL-5 prospects
DB-8 prospects
WR/TE-5 prospects
LB-2 prospects
QB-1 prospect
RB-1 Prospect

RuthlessBurgher
04-17-2009, 02:12 PM

Friday, April 17, 2009
The Steelers are entertaining their final three college prospects today before next weekend's draft. They are cornerback Ellis Lankster of West Virginia, cornerback Mike Mickens of Cincinnati and wide receiver Louis Murphy of Florida.

A group of 30 college players have visited the Steelers' at their UPMC training facility since March 31, the limit allowed by the NFL.

OL-7 prospects
DL-5 prospects
DB-8 prospects
WR/TE-5 prospects
LB-2 prospects
QB-1 prospect
RB-1 Prospect

At least they are getting the positions right so far. This tells me that there will be multiple o-line picks, multiple d-line picks, at least one CB and probably a safety as well, a CB, and a couple of wildcard picks at the other positions. Works for me.

Oviedo
04-17-2009, 02:22 PM

Friday, April 17, 2009

OL-7 prospects
DL-5 prospects
DB-8 prospects
WR/TE-5 prospects
LB-2 prospects
QB-1 prospect
RB-1 Prospect

At least they are getting the positions right so far. This tells me that there will be multiple o-line picks, multiple d-line picks, at least one CB and probably a safety as well, a CB, and a couple of wildcard picks at the other positions. Works for me.

If we drafted 2 OL, 2 DL, 2 DB, 1 WR, 1 LB and 1 RB I think they will have gotten it right. The visits line up to support that.

calmkiller
04-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Official
C Alex Mack (round 1)
C Max Unger (round 1-2)
S Louis Delmas (round 2)
WR Louis Murphy (round 3)
QB Nate Davis (Round 5)
WR Travis Shelton (FA)
DE Brandon Long (FA)

Rumor/Never Happened?
DT Ron Brace (round 2)
CB Greg Toler (FA)

Non 30 Visit
C A.Q. Shipley (round 4)
C C.J. Davis (round 5-6)

RuthlessBurgher
04-17-2009, 02:24 PM
There's your list of 30, folks!

I guess those six rumored guys never visited our facility on the South Side. Perhaps the reports were of the Steelers showing interest by interviewing them at the combine or visiting them at their Pro Days rather than us inviting them to our place as an official 30 visit.

calmkiller
04-27-2009, 11:06 AM
Of our draft picks 4 did visit. A 5th was reported to have a visit lined up but wasn't official in CB Lewis.

RuthlessBurgher
04-27-2009, 12:05 PM
Of our draft picks 4 did visit. A 5th was reported to have a visit lined up but wasn't official in CB Lewis.

Yeah, it seems as if the official visit list was a pretty good barometer of guys they were truly interested in in the late rounds (4 of our last 5 picks, Burnett, Summers, Harris, and Shipley visited). You wonder about the fact that they did not bring in any of their top 4 guys in the first 3 rounds...did it just not fall how they expected for them, or was there some smoke-screening involved there?