PDA

View Full Version : Unger vs Mack

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
03-16-2009, 12:26 PM
I see Unger more valuable to us at 32. He can play C/G/T along with his toughness, leadership and durablity makes him the perfect fit.

Other thoughts? Why are so many people on this board wanting Mack? He seems more of a middle of the 2nd rnd pick to me.

calmkiller
03-16-2009, 12:29 PM
I see that Unger can play 3 different positions and that turns me off. I want someone that is Elite at one position. Not a Jack of all trades Master of none. Just my personal opinion though.

pfelix73
03-16-2009, 12:52 PM
I've been waiting for someone to start a thread like this:

I believe Unger may be the better player. He reminds me of a Sam Baker type that has huge athletic ability. It's a huge plus that he can play 3 positions.

At this point, I'd take Unger over Mack, but I'd still take Ron Brace over Unger or Mack.

RuthlessBurgher
03-16-2009, 12:57 PM
I see that Unger can play 3 different positions and that turns me off. I want someone that is Elite at one position. Not a Jack of all trades Master of none. Just my personal opinion though.

:Agree

Unger may be able to play center on this level. He may be able to play guard on this level. He may be able to play tackle on this level. He would be great to have as a sort of "6th man" as an uber-backup at all positions, which would help a coach when determining who should be inactive each week. I think of him as kind of a better version of Trai Essex. But will he ever be a dominant starter at one specific position in this league? I'm not sure. That's not what you want out of your first round pick. I would rather a guy who is considered to be the best at his position than a flexible utilityman.

Mack appears to be the best center prospect to come out in several years. He has every bit of the talent that Nick Mangold had when he came out a few years ago, and many Steeler fans perferred Mangold in that draft to his Buckeye teammate Santonio Holmes. Plus, Mack has a mean streak in him that you like to see in an interior lineman and appears to be a natural leader. He is also extremely smart, having graduated from Berkeley with a major in legal studies, earning the Draddy Award (which is considered to be the academic Heisman). He just seems like a Steeler in so many ways. It would be great to be able to get a guy like this to take over the center position long-term like Mansfield, Webster, Dawson, and Hartings did before these last few seasons of uncertainty in the middle of our o-line.

WoodleyofTroy
03-16-2009, 01:25 PM
I see Unger more valuable to us at 32. He can play C/G/T along with his toughness, leadership and durablity makes him the perfect fit.

Other thoughts? Why are so many people on this board wanting Mack? He seems more of a middle of the 2nd rnd pick to me.

There is no better value at #32 than Alex Mack. He's a first round lock and it's not even close, and the only way I'd trade back is if he's off the board.

As for Unger vs Mack. This is a good problem to have. I don't see why people have to pick one or the other, compare the two, and make it a competition. The Steelers would be blessed to land either one. Eric Wood as well.

Lebsteel
03-16-2009, 01:26 PM

:Agree

Unger may be able to play center on this level. He may be able to play guard on this level. He may be able to play tackle on this level. He would be great to have as a sort of "6th man" as an uber-backup at all positions, which would help a coach when determining who should be inactive each week. I think of him as kind of a better version of Trai Essex. But will he ever be a dominant starter at one specific position in this league? I'm not sure. That's not what you want out of your first round pick. I would rather a guy who is considered to be the best at his position than a flexible utilityman.

Mack appears to be the best center prospect to come out in several years. He has every bit of the talent that Nick Mangold had when he came out a few years ago, and many Steeler fans perferred Mangold in that draft to his Buckeye teammate Santonio Holmes. Plus, Mack has a mean streak in him that you like to see in an interior lineman and appears to be a natural leader. He is also extremely smart, having graduated from Berkeley with a major in legal studies, earning the Draddy Award (which is considered to be the academic Heisman). He just seems like a Steeler in so many ways. It would be great to be able to get a guy like this to take over the center position long-term like Mansfield, Webster, Dawson, and Hartings did before these last few seasons of uncertainty in the middle of our o-line.

Thanks Ruthless, you said it for me!! If he is there, Mack will be the BPA at 32. Not only is he considered better than Mangold, but I've read where many consider him to be the best center prospect coming out of college since Bruce Matthews in 1983.

SteelCzar76
03-16-2009, 01:30 PM
From what i've seen of Unger he is most certainly a "Jack of all trades, master of none" cat whom is an average run blocker that struggles against speed and allows defenders to "get too close inside". He's decent but i most certainly believe that a team could find his type of "solid backup all around" type talent later than the first,..quite possibly second day.

As far as Mack, aside from bad balance,..he deserves the recognition as best Center of the Draft. But even with that being said,...dude,...he's still,...a Center. And i just cannot begin to rationalize how any team could or would Draft a Center,....in the first Round.

Especially when the said Team returns every Starter along a line that they just won a World Championship with ?!!

Perhaps a new line Coach may be in order, along with a bit more continuity and a little second day depth. But a CENTER in the 1st is ridiculous IMO,.....

WoodleyofTroy
03-16-2009, 01:32 PM
From what i've seen of Unger he is most certainly a "Jack of all trades, master of none" cat whom is an average run blocker that struggles against speed and allows defenders to "get too close inside". He's decent but i most certainly believe that a team could find his type of "solid backup all around" type talent later than the first,..quite possibly second day.

As far as Mack, aside from bad balance,..he deserves the recognition as best Center of the Draft. But even with that being said,...dude,...he's still,...a Center. And i just cannot begin to rationalize how any team could or would Draft a Center,....in the first Round.

Especially when the said Team returns every Starter along a line that they just won a World Championship with ?!!

Perhaps a new line Coach may be in order, along with a bit more continuity and a little second day depth. But a CENTER in the 1st is ridiculous IMO,.....

So the Jets made a mistake in getting Nick Mangold in the first? :lol:

SteelCzar76
03-16-2009, 01:37 PM

And just how much impact has he provided ? Sure he's a contributor and performs well but i still believe that type of production can be found later than the first when concerning lineman.

RuthlessBurgher
03-16-2009, 01:44 PM

The last two quality Steeler centers were Jeff Hartings, taken 23rd overall by Detroit in 1996 (where he played guard until he came to Pittsburgh) and Dermontti Dawson, taken 44th overall by Pittsburgh in 1988 (where he played guard until Mike Webster left for Kansas City). This year we are picking 32nd overall...right in the middle of those picks. I see no problem taking a center there (who can play guard until Hartwig's contract expires after this season).

Did you have a problem when they took Faneca as a guard in the late first? When they took Hampton as a nose tackle in the late first? When they took Miller as a tight end in the late first? If you can get the consensus best player at his position in the draft at a position of need, that is a worthwhile first round pick with the last pick in the round, particularly when this draft has one of best center crops in recent memory and we might be able to draft the best of the best, solidifying a part of our line that has always been rock solid up until they past couple of years.

WoodleyofTroy
03-16-2009, 01:45 PM

And just how much impact has he provided?.

Hint: Jets fans think of him around the opposite of what you think of our Quarterback. Visit a Jets board.

SteelCzar76
03-16-2009, 01:57 PM
The last two quality Steeler centers were Jeff Hartings, taken 23rd overall by Detroit in 1996 (where he played guard until he came to Pittsburgh) and Dermontti Dawson, taken 44th overall by Pittsburgh in 1988 (where he played guard until Mike Webster left for Kansas City). This year we are picking 32nd overall...right in the middle of those picks. I see no problem taking a center there (who can play guard until Hartwig's contract expires after this season).

Did you have a problem when they took Faneca as a guard in the late first? When they took Hampton as a nose tackle in the late first? When they took Miller as a tight end in the late first? If you can get the consensus best player at his position in the draft at a position of need, that is a worthwhile first round pick with the last pick in the round, particularly when this draft has one of best center crops in recent memory and we might be able to draft the best of the best, solidifying a part of our line that has always been rock solid up until they past couple of years.
[/quote]

I didn't say D-lineman or TE's,....i was speaking of O-lineman, CENTERS in particular. Yes, i would prefer a center like Dirt, Iron Mike, or Hartings,.but the truth is i do not feel as though these Centers are on their level. No matter what the popular consensus.

Couple that with the facts that as i mentioned before we are returning our starters, still have cats like Capizzi and Hills waiting in the wings, and could possibly find a successor to Hartwig via the second day of the Draft or small school developmental player,....and no i do not think that Colbert should go "Ape sh@t" this year drafting O-lineman just to simply please a specific demographic of the Steeler Fanbase.

And i'm good with that as i believe,..."If you are thinking like everyone (sheep) else,....you are not thinking."

RuthlessBurgher
03-16-2009, 02:14 PM
I didn't say D-lineman or TE's,....i was speaking of O-lineman, CENTERS in particular. Yes, i would prefer a center like Dirt, Iron Mike, or Hartings,.but the truth is i do not feel as though these Centers are on their level. No matter what the popular consensus.

Couple that with the facts that as i mentioned before we are returning our starters, still have cats like Capizzi and Hills waiting in the wings, and could possibly find a successor to Hartwig via the second day of the Draft or small school developmental player,....and no i do not think that Colbert should go "Ape sh@t" this year drafting O-lineman just to simply please a specific demographic of the Steeler Fanbase.

And i'm good with that as i believe,..."If you are thinking like everyone (sheep) else,....you are not thinking."

If Colbert does draft o-linemen early and often, it won't be because it has been the weakest position group on the team for the past several seasons that now has no depth to speak of...it will be entirely because he is trying to please the wool-bearing demographic of the Steeler fanbase.

When he saw a need a linebacker a few seasons ago, he didn't flinch at drafting Timmons first and then coming back and drafting Woodley second as well. He very well could do the same thing in this draft (simply to please me and my other mutton-brethren, of course).

If you are satisfied with a line that is perhaps one injury away from Jason Capizzi starting, then you must really hate Ben to wish that level of bodily harm upon him. In which case, your non-sheepish plan to waste a 2nd round pick on an undersized athletic QB might pay off, because neglecting the trenches could land our current QB on the I.R. when unblocked defenders take him on helmet-to-helmet like dall sheep.

SteelCzar76
03-16-2009, 02:28 PM
If Colbert does draft o-linemen early and often, it won't be because it has been the weakest position group on the team for the past several seasons that now has no depth to speak of...it will be entirely because he is trying to please the wool-bearing demographic of the Steeler fanbase.

When he saw a need a linebacker a few seasons ago, he didn't flinch at drafting Timmons first and then coming back and drafting Woodley second as well. He very well could do the same thing in this draft (simply to please me and my other mutton-brethren, of course).

If you are satisfied with a line that is perhaps one injury away from Jason Capizzi starting, then you must really hate Ben to wish that level of bodily harm upon him. In which case, your non-sheepish plan to waste a 2nd round pick on an undersized athletic QB might pay off, because neglecting the trenches could land our current QB on the I.R. when unblocked defenders take him on helmet-to-helmet like dall sheep.

I know, i know Ruthless, my inner cliche 80's Police Captain voice should be saying to me, "Your reckless kid,.......a loose cannon. You got the Mayor and Commissioner so far up my azz that i'm gonna need an exorcism !" lol

But i didn't say that we shouldn't draft for depth later, nor do i wish to see Roethlisberger injured. But it's just my opinion the O-line will be stronger this year having had an opportunity to gain cohesion,..and Ben can cut down upon half of the sacks that he takes by studying film and refining his game.

And for the record,...don't take the "sheep" thing too personally,...i actually like your style as a "poster",....

Oviedo
03-16-2009, 02:39 PM
As pointed out either presents a good problem.

Either Mack or Unger could probably start this season ahead of Stapleton at RG.

Mack will probably be the better Center long term but Unger could also possibly step in at RT and move Colon to Guard which is something that Mack does not offer the team.

Getting either at 1.32 would be good for the team.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-16-2009, 02:39 PM
Mack is better on film. At the Sr Bowl practices, Mack stoned BJ time in and time out. What I think seperates Mack as a C, and a special C at that, is very vissible in the Sr Bowl game. One very important job of a C is to "set the point" of the pocket in pass protection. This basicly means to not allow the NT/DT to push you back into the QBs feet and collapse the pocket. When a C can do this it allows the QB to set off his last plant step of his drop and buy time, if needed, and elude the outside rush by stepping back into the pocket. A QBs drop has alot to do with the pass protection and he can help the OL if his footwork is sound. During the game, you can see Mack at the same depth at line of scrimmage where he snapped the ball. He was able to maintain the "point" of the pocket because of his stature and not open himself up to getting off balance while he maintained it. It is a delicate balance of being stout and not allowing penetration while maintaining light feet and sliding horizontally. Unger struggles sometimes and allows the DL to get some push. Unger is good, but as a C or interior lineman, Mack has him beat. I have never seen Mack on the outside so I could not judge him as a OT. Mack could play 2 positions. Unger played all spots but I think he only has a shot at RT, if at all, at the next level in an emergency. So...If we are looking for the next great Steeler C...I want the best on the board...Which in my opinion is Mack!

The same reason I mentioned is why I think that maybe Stapleton might be a back-up a C at this level. I think he will not be able to recover off his snap and maintain the line of scrimmage well with a DL who has a good bull rush. He can still play G because a G has a little forgiveness to their outer shoulder if they lose the battle. It still "thins" the pocket but a good QB could slide and avoid it as long as the C is shallow and the other G is not in the same situation.

steelblood
03-16-2009, 02:44 PM
No matter what he lifts, Unger on the field is more of a finesse player.

Mack is more of a mauler, more physical. With all the massive NTs we face, I want Mack.

Even though I think Mack would be a decent pick at 32, I'm not sure where some of you get your information. In another thread, someone claimed Mack was a top ten pick. Now, he is as good as Mangold. I really think this is pure hyperbole. Mack is a decent athlete with good strength, leg drive, competitiveness, and character. I've seen him play and been impressed. But, this is not a guy who belongs in the top ten of the draft, looks like he'll dominate against pro DTs, or has the makings of a perrennial all pro. He may even struggle quite a bit to adjust to the athleticism and size he'll face.

RuthlessBurgher
03-16-2009, 03:40 PM

I know, i know Ruthless, my inner cliche 80's Police Captain voice should be saying to me, "Your reckless kid,.......a loose cannon. You got the Mayor and Commissioner so far up my azz that i'm gonna need an exorcism !" lol

But i didn't say that we shouldn't draft for depth later, nor do i wish to see Roethlisberger injured. But it's just my opinion the O-line will be stronger this year having had an opportunity to gain cohesion,..and Ben can cut down upon half of the sacks that he takes by studying film and refining his game.

And for the record,...don't take the "sheep" thing too personally,...i actually like your style as a "poster",....

No problem at all, man. I don't mind folks with dissenting opinions, as long as we are all civil toward each other. Sometimes my views are in line with the rest of the flock, while other times, I might be more of a black sheep (or, to use your other analogy, I might be Starsky and/or Hutch in Captain Dobey's office :wink: ).

I wouldn't be devastated if they decided to take a d-lineman or even a top-notch CB with our first pick instead of an o-lineman (I've learned to trust the front office even if it is not what I would have done in that situation...for instance, I hated the Hampton and Timmons picks in the first round at the time, but they have shown that Colbert probably knows more about this scouting business than I do).

I still don't want Pat White, though, even if Tomlin likes the kid. :stirpot :lol:

SteelCzar76
03-16-2009, 04:19 PM
No problem at all, man. I don't mind folks with dissenting opinions, as long as we are all civil toward each other. Sometimes my views are in line with the rest of the flock, while other times, I might be more of a black sheep (or, to use your other analogy, I might be Starsky and/or Hutch in Captain Dobey's office :wink: ).

I wouldn't be devastated if they decided to take a d-lineman or even a top-notch CB with our first pick instead of an o-lineman (I've learned to trust the front office even if it is not what I would have done in that situation...for instance, I hated the Hampton and Timmons picks in the first round at the time, but they have shown that Colbert probably knows more about this scouting business than I do).

I still don't want Pat White, though, even if Tomlin likes the kid. :stirpot :lol:

Aw C'mon son of Jor El,..at some point you must kneel before Zod (White) :lol:
But all jokes aside,...like you I wouldn't mind going D-line in the first either Ruthless.(Though i wouldn't want to reach)

But as far as Corners,..Macho is my guy though i wouldn't take him that high. Perhaps Sean Smith of Utah if it comes to that ? (Like the kids "ceiling")

But i digress as this is a "Fat Boy" (Mack/Unger) thread. :lol: :stirpot

RuthlessBurgher
03-16-2009, 04:25 PM

But all jokes aside,...like you I wouldn't mind going D-line in the first either Ruthless.(Though i wouldn't want to reach)

But as far as Corners,..Macho is my guy though i wouldn't take him that high. Perhaps Sean Smith of Utah if it comes to that ? (Like the kids "ceiling")

But i digress as this is a "Fat Boy" thread. :lol: :stirpot

To use a Nintendo Hockey analogy, this draft should be populated with more meatballs (right) than string beans (middle).

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_mzqoOqGWgAA/RdoLzHBh15I/AAAAAAAAACU/DExywILySxE/s400/ice+hockey+team.jpg

SteelCzar76
03-16-2009, 04:35 PM

But i digress as this is a "Fat Boy" thread. :lol: :stirpot

To use a Nintendo Hockey analogy, this draft should be populated with more meatballs (right) than string beans (middle).

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_mzqoOqGWgAA/RdoLzHBh15I/AAAAAAAAACU/DExywILySxE/s400/ice+hockey+team.jpg

Touche Ruthless,....touche,.... :lol:

WoodleyofTroy
03-16-2009, 06:04 PM
32. Pittsburgh Steelers - Alex Mack, C, California
The Steelers franchised Max Starks and resigned guard Chris Kemoeatu. The Steelers could draft OT William Beatty or the all everything offensive lineman Max Unger. But instead, the Steelers draft the best center in the draft in Mack. The Steelers have a history of not passing on talent. Mack would instantly be an upgrade over Justin Hartwig, but also be the starting center for the next 10 years. He is that good, and my safest player in the draft. He could play guard as well, but expect him to play center on day 1. Great teams don't pass on great players. Also, fellow TFE writer, Gregory Cox, told me he would shave his head if the Steelers passed on Mack. If the scenario does indeed happen, we promise to post his new headshot on the site.

This is the kind of stuff that was being said about the Steelers and Heath Miller when he was a draft prospect.

But I'm sure the ones that can't see this about Mack, couldn't see it about Miller as well. And Roethlisberger for that matter (ain't that right Shawn Andrews fans?).

stlrz d
03-16-2009, 06:08 PM

I believe Unger may be the better player. He reminds me of a Sam Baker type that has huge athletic ability. It's a huge plus that he can play 3 positions.

At this point, I'd take Unger over Mack, but I'd still take Ron Brace over Unger or Mack.

Waiting???

You posted in this one! :lol: :P

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5596&hilit=unger (http://planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5596&hilit=unger)

WoodleyofTroy
03-16-2009, 06:47 PM

Waiting???

You posted in this one! :lol: :P

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5596&hilit=unger (http://planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5596&hilit=unger)

But your thread was labeled Mack vs Unger. This one is Unger vs Mack. Compeletely different. :)

RuthlessBurgher
03-16-2009, 07:08 PM
32. Pittsburgh Steelers - Alex Mack, C, California
The Steelers franchised Max Starks and resigned guard Chris Kemoeatu. The Steelers could draft OT William Beatty or the all everything offensive lineman Max Unger. But instead, the Steelers draft the best center in the draft in Mack. The Steelers have a history of not passing on talent. Mack would instantly be an upgrade over Justin Hartwig, but also be the starting center for the next 10 years. He is that good, and my safest player in the draft. He could play guard as well, but expect him to play center on day 1. Great teams don't pass on great players. Also, fellow TFE writer, Gregory Cox, told me he would shave his head if the Steelers passed on Mack. If the scenario does indeed happen, we promise to post his new headshot on the site.

This is the kind of stuff that was being said about the Steelers and Heath Miller when he was a draft prospect.

But I'm sure the ones that can't see this about Mack, couldn't see it about Miller as well. And Roethlisberger for that matter (ain't that right Shawn Andrews fans?).

Here's to Gregory Cox (whoever he is) having a full head of hair when we take Mack. :Cheers

Mel Blount's G
03-16-2009, 08:40 PM
I've read where many consider him to be the best center prospect coming out of college since Bruce Matthews in 1983.
Many consider? I would question your source on this one. Those are large words indeed. Bruce Matthews has been considered one of the, if not THEE, best offensive lineman to ever play the game.

After reading all this praise, can't see how this guy makes it to #32...

RuthlessBurgher
03-16-2009, 09:16 PM
I've read where many consider him to be the best center prospect coming out of college since Bruce Matthews in 1983.
Many consider? I would question your source on this one. Those are large words indeed. Bruce Matthews has been considered one of the, if not THEE, best offensive lineman to ever play the game.

When someone says "many consider him to be the best center prospect coming out of college since Bruce Matthews in 1983" that means those folks believe that he could be a better prospect than everyone after Matthews, not better than Matthews himself. Just to clarify. Speaking of which...can Bruce's nephew also play center...or only linebacker? :wink:

Lebsteel
03-16-2009, 09:29 PM

Mel, from Walterfootball.com:
Centers
Alex Mack, California
Could go down as the best center prospect since Bruce Matthews in the 1983 Draft.
http://walterfootball.com/mattfiveoffense.php

WoodleyofTroy
03-16-2009, 09:34 PM

Bruce Matthews as a prospect.

papillon
03-16-2009, 09:39 PM
I can't see a player of Mack's talent (based on what I've read) being available at 1.32. There have to be other teams that could use a center for the next 10 years not just the Steelers.

Pappy

buckeyehoppy
03-16-2009, 10:50 PM
I can't see a player of Mack's talent (based on what I've read) being available at 1.32. There have to be other teams that could use a center for the next 10 years not just the Steelers.

Pappy

That's a real possibility, Pappy. I think a lot of us would be bummed if that became the case.

But I feel as though one of the following players will be available at 1.32 if Mack is no longer on the board and any of them would be worth the pick at that point: Robinson, Beatty, Britton. If Mack has been picked off, one of these guys will have surely been passed over in favor of him.

buckeyehoppy
03-16-2009, 10:53 PM

The Steelers won't get the chance at him anyway, so what's the diff?

I say he goes in the middle of the second to some team who fancies him the next ARE. FWIW, ARE was a Round 2 pick as well.

RuthlessBurgher
03-16-2009, 11:45 PM

Pappy

With Miami signing Grove and Baltimore signing Birk, there aren't many candidates. The newly Birk-less Vikings might jump on Mack, but pick #22 is earlier than center, even the best in several years, would typically go. Since Minnesota has other needs, I could see them going in another direction in round 1, then hoping for Unger or Wood in round 2, Luigs or Caldwell in round 3, or Shipley in round 4. My main worry is that Cincy (with Jom's best buddy Eric Ghiaciuc being the most recent embarrassment at center for the Bengals) would trade up ahead of us to take Mack.

RuthlessBurgher
03-16-2009, 11:51 PM

The Steelers won't get the chance at him anyway, so what's the diff?

I say he goes in the middle of the second to some team who fancies him the next ARE. FWIW, ARE was a Round 2 pick as well.

I was just jabbing at the czar with that one...it wasn't relevant to the discussion on this particular thread.

And Randle El showed the ability to play WR during the early portion of his senior year (before they realized they could not win with his replacement at QB, so they had no choice to move ARE back under center), plus working as a wideout at the Senior Bowlm the combine, his Pro Day, etc. But I digress.

To get us back on topic...DRAFT ALEX MACK!!! :lol:

Chadman
03-17-2009, 12:01 AM

Pappy

With Miami signing Grove and Baltimore signing Birk, there aren't many candidates. The newly Birk-less Vikings might jump on Mack, but pick #22 is earlier than center, even the best in several years, would typically go. Since Minnesota has other needs, I could see them going in another direction in round 1, then hoping for Unger or Wood in round 2, Luigs or Caldwell in round 3, or Shipley in round 4. My main worry is that Cincy (with Jom's best buddy Eric Ghiaciuc being the most recent embarrassment at center for the Bengals) would trade up ahead of us to take Mack.

Sometimes, people are looking so far ahead at potential 'dangers' that they forget to look directly in front of them- at their most immenent danger.

Name the Cardinals Center....

Who's the OL coach there?

Then yes, the Vikings are also a show.

Don't write off the Chargers- who will need an INTERIOR OL, be it C or OG.

And lastly- if reports are right that the Eagles are moving Stacy Andrews to OT, there's an opening at OG there too...

WoodleyofTroy
03-17-2009, 12:21 AM
True, as soon as Whisenhunt hears the Steelers are interested in Alex Mack we are doomed.

Bandito
03-17-2009, 03:19 AM
I thought of the Cards too but I do know they really need a RB.

If they did go Center first, at least the probability of having one of the top 3 available at #32 is pretty high. I heard Unger has the fastest snap quickness to the defender's chest much like Dirt though not the anchor strength like Mack or Wood.

After his Pro Day, I heard that Tyson Jackson is more likely to be available with the 32nd pick. If he was available, would you choose him and get either Jonathan Luigs with the 2nd round pick or Andre Caldwell with the 3rd round pick? AQ Shipley?

Oviedo
03-17-2009, 07:58 AM

Pappy

I agree. I see Mack being gone in the 5-7 picks in front of us.

If we can't get the best Center in the draft at 1.32, I'm still pulling for the second best NT in the draft--Ron Brace.

papillon
03-17-2009, 08:08 AM
Does anyone think that the reason Stapleton played guard this year (beside the obvious reason of Simmons getting hurt) was to get him experience playing and then move him to center (his natural position) similar to Dawson and Hartings? Then any good interior OL becomes viable at 1.32 including Robinson, Mack, Unger, etc.

While not getting Mack would be a negative for sure, getting a solid interior lineman for the next 10 years wouldn't be a bad thing.

Pappy

WoodleyofTroy
03-17-2009, 10:37 AM

If they did go Center first, at least the probability of having one of the top 3 available at #32 is pretty high. I heard Unger has the fastest snap quickness to the defender's chest much like Dirt though not the anchor strength like Mack or Wood.

After his Pro Day, I heard that Tyson Jackson is more likely to be available with the 32nd pick. If he was available, would you choose him and get either Jonathan Luigs with the 2nd round pick or Andre Caldwell with the 3rd round pick? AQ Shipley?

I hate saying this, because you can say it about any position, but it especially applies to RB's. You can get Running backs pretty much in every round. They got Tim Hightower in the 5th round last year.

I want Mack because of his talent value. Not because he is a Center. So guys like Luigs and Caldwell aren't necessary when you got better available players at #64, at different positions. Most likely Kraig Urbik, Jarron Gilbert/Fili Moala (yes i would still select one if we got Tyson Jackson), or a Victor Harris/Mike Mickens.

Oviedo
03-17-2009, 12:03 PM

If Tyson Jackson was available at 1.32 I'd run from Orlando to New York in the allowable time and give the commish the card myself. I don't see how we could pass on Jackson.

calmkiller
03-17-2009, 12:13 PM

If Tyson Jackson was available at 1.32 I'd run from Orlando to New York in the allowable time and give the commish the card myself. I don't see how we could pass on Jackson.

with the 32nd selection in the 2009 NFL Draft the Steelers select Patrick White WVU. That is how.....

ok ok im just joking. If he is there and Mack is off the board DO IT!!!! Take Jackson in a heartbeat.

RuthlessBurgher
03-17-2009, 01:44 PM
If we are worried about the Cardinals taking Mack from their spot right in front of us, it would not cost much to leapfrog them. According to the trade value chart, our pick at #32 is worth 590 points, while Tennessee's pick at #30 is worth 620 points. Our 5th round pick is worth 27.4 points. The Titans don't have a 5th round pick because they traded it to Dallas. Might they be interested in re-couping a late 5th round pick to move back two spots?

WoodleyofTroy
03-17-2009, 02:51 PM
If we are worried about the Cardinals taking Mack from their spot right in front of us, it would not cost much to leapfrog them. According to the trade value chart, our pick at #32 is worth 590 points, while Tennessee's pick at #30 is worth 620 points. Our 5th round pick is worth 27.4 points. The Titans don't have a 5th round pick because they traded it to Dallas. Might they be interested in re-couping a late 5th round pick to move back two spots?

Some good CSI work there. I would definitely give up a 5th round pick to jump right in front of the Cardinals, because you know they'll take the player reported to go to the Steelers. Also, the Titans could trade with anyone in the top of the 2nd, with that team jumping both the Cards and Steelers, to land Mack. Like the Bengals.

RuthlessBurgher
03-17-2009, 03:08 PM

Some good CSI work there. I would definitely give up a 5th round pick to jump right in front of the Cardinals, because you know they'll take the player reported to go to the Steelers. Also, the Titans could trade with anyone in the top of the 2nd, with that team jumping both the Cards and Steelers, to land Mack. Like the Bengals.

The Bengals would have to offer more to the Titans to move up (it is a 100 point difference from the Bengals' pick at 2.38 to the Titans' pick at 1.30). Tennessee could get an early 4th round pick from Cincy (4.102 = 92 points) vs. a late 5th round pick from Pittsburgh (5.160 = 27.4 points). However, if the Titans have a specific player in mind, and they can be reasonably sure that guy would not be a top target of Pittsburgh or Arizona, they could bounce back a couple of spots and still get their guy and an 5th round pick to boot. Trading back with Cincy is more risky, even though they would get a better pick from the Bengals, because they would all of the sudden be behind Arizona, Pittsburgh, Detroit, New England, St. Louis, Cleveland, and Seattle by moving back those 8 spots. That's risky.