PDA

View Full Version : Agent: Steelers' Harrison to report despite talks

RuthlessBurgher
03-16-2009, 10:01 AM
In the midst of all of this Jay Cutler crybaby antics in which he stated he will not attend the off-season program and is demanding a trade, here is some good news on our front.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3984228

Steelers LB Harrison to attend workouts
By James Walker
ESPN.com
Archive Pittsburgh Steelers outside linebacker James Harrison will be present as the Super Bowl champions open their offseason workout program Monday despite unresolved contractual issues, his agent said.

"Yes, James will be there," agent Bill Parise said of the NFL's 2008 defensive player of the year.

Both sides remain in constant talks, so there was no need for Harrison to miss the session, according to Parise, as it could lead to unwarranted tension.

Though Parise wouldn't elaborate on the negotiations, he recently told ESPN.com that both sides remained hopeful but far apart.

"We're talking and meeting pretty regularly, almost daily, but we're having a difficult time getting to where we need to be," Parise said last month.

Harrison, 30, is coming off a year in which he recorded 101 tackles, 16 sacks and seven forced fumbles for Pittsburgh.

He made a salary of $1.2 million last season, making him one of the league's best bargains.

So far the Steelers have not been active in free agency while focusing mostly on keeping their own players.

Signing Harrison to a long-term deal is one of the team's biggest internal priorities.

James Walker covers the AFC North for ESPN.com.

Oviedo
03-16-2009, 10:14 AM
He's under contract and should be there. Just because others show a lack of integrity and violate their contracts should never allow that to be seen as acceptable.

Ghost
03-16-2009, 10:20 AM
While I agree about him still being under contract and being there; I still find this to be a great sign that he (and his agent) believe the talks being held are productive and will lead to a new contract. It's a stand up move by JH.

Acero
03-16-2009, 10:34 AM
I think both sides have played it very classy until now, and there's no reason why it should be otherwise. I believe there is mutual respect and Harrison and his people know that the Rooneys take care of their franchise LB.

We had the DPOY playing for punter's money! I'm sure the Rooneys will do the right thing and offer him a hefty five year contract.

Oviedo
03-16-2009, 10:45 AM
I think both sides have played it very classy until now, and there's no reason why it should be otherwise. I believe there is mutual respect and Harrison and his people know that the Rooneys take care of their franchise LB.

We had the DPOY playing for punter's money! I'm sure the Rooneys will do the right thing and offer him a hefty five year contract.

I bet he won't get a 5 year contract. I'm sure he wants 5 years but I bet the Steelers are offering 3 or 4 years.

feltdizz
03-16-2009, 12:54 PM

I bet he won't get a 5 year contract. I'm sure he wants 5 years but I bet the Steelers are offering 3 or 4 years.

:Agree He wants to play out here.. I hope we can come up with a 4 +1 based on incentives..

frankthetank1
03-16-2009, 01:38 PM
if farrior got a contract for around 5 years at his age the steelers should have no problem with 5 years for harrison. money is another issue though

True Fan
03-16-2009, 03:05 PM
harrrison would be an idiot to not show up. what's he gonna do? holdout for 2 years and then think he's going to get his 1 big payday. the organization holds the cards in this deal

Jigawatts
03-16-2009, 03:12 PM
harrrison would be an idiot to not show up. what's he gonna do? holdout for 2 years and then think he's going to get his 1 big payday. the organization holds the cards in this deal

With organizations like the Redskins handing out 100 million dollar contracts to players like
Albert "The Head Stomper" Haynesworth I'd have to say that Harrison holds the cards.

And I wouldn't want Harrison holding the cards. He would give you a paper cut like you
wouldn't believe.

RuthlessBurgher
03-16-2009, 03:22 PM

With organizations like the Redskins handing out 100 million dollar contracts to players like
Albert "The Head Stomper" Haynesworth I'd have to say that Harrison holds the cards.

And I wouldn't want Harrison holding the cards. He would give you a paper cut like you
wouldn't believe.

The Rooneys would never sign a head stomper to a $100 million deal. The Chris Kemoeatu contract set the standard for Steeler head stomper deals at one-fifth of that total value. :wink:

Jigawatts
03-16-2009, 03:26 PM

wouldn't believe.

The Rooneys would never sign a head stomper to a $100 million deal. The Chris Kemoeatu contract set the standard for Steeler head stomper deals at one-fifth of that total value. :wink:

You can't compare college head stomping to professional head stomping. It's just not fair.

RuthlessBurgher
03-16-2009, 03:49 PM

wouldn't believe.

You can't compare college head stomping to professional head stomping. It's just not fair.

College head stomping is like Mario jumping on a Goomba or Koopa.

Pro head stomping is like Edward Norton in American History X.

Oviedo
03-16-2009, 03:58 PM

wouldn't believe.

Players never hold the cards against the Rooneys because of the way they run the business. They take a long term view where no single cog in the machine is so critical the machine stops working if it is gone. They prepare for the cogs to be gone. The Steelers don't believe in rebuilding they believe in reloading. That is how they structure their draft strategies and their free agent activities.

Remember the gloom and doom predictions when Porter left? Harrison turned out to be better. If Harrsion leaves Woodley and someone else will step it up and do just fine. Why do you think Davis was drafted last year? He was draft for two years in the future not last season.

Jigawatts
03-16-2009, 04:12 PM

wouldn't believe.

Players never hold the cards against the Rooneys because of the way they run the business. They take a long term view where no single cog in the machine is so critical the machine stops working if it is gone. They prepare for the cogs to be gone. The Steelers don't believe in rebuilding they believe in reloading. That is how they structure their draft strategies and their free agent activities.

Remember the gloom and doom predictions when Porter left? Harrison turned out to be better. If Harrsion leaves Woodley and someone else will step it up and do just fine. Why do you think Davis was drafted last year? He was draft for two years in the future not last season.

You're absolutely correct about the way the Rooneys do business and I'm glad that's
how things are handled in Pittsburgh. But, in the whole scheme of things, Harrison
does hold the cards. He can walk and get paid elsewhere. But we will reload. :wink:

RuthlessBurgher
03-16-2009, 04:21 PM

wouldn't believe.

You're absolutely correct about the way the Rooneys do business and I'm glad that's
how things are handled in Pittsburgh. But, in the whole scheme of things, Harrison
does hold the cards. He can walk and get paid elsewhere. But we will reload. :wink:

He has to realize, however, that if he doesn't sign a big extension now, that he would be stuck playing for a back-up salary again in 2009 at the age of 31. Then, if he still doesn't sign an extension at that point, he could be franchised for the 2010 season at the age of 32. Would he risk playing 2 years, hoping not to get seriously injured, in the hopes of a free agent payday prior to the start of the 2011 season, when he will be 33 years old? We are trying to do right by him by paying the man now since he has been so underpaid the past 2 seasons (we don't have to, but it is the right thing to do, and the Rooneys typically are willing to shell out the dollars to their core players, in spite of popular opinion otherwise). But we do hold the cards and can keep him until he is old enough that no one will sign him to that huge deal he is after. I think Harrison and his agent will come to the conclusion that they might as well get this done now.

Jigawatts
03-16-2009, 04:36 PM

wouldn't believe.

He has to realize, however, that if he doesn't sign a big extension now, that he would be stuck playing for a back-up salary again in 2009 at the age of 31. Then, if he still doesn't sign an extension at that point, he could be franchised for the 2010 season at the age of 32. Would he risk playing 2 years, hoping not to get seriously injured, in the hopes of a free agent payday prior to the start of the 2011 season, when he will be 33 years old? We are trying to do right by him by paying the man now since he has been so underpaid the past 2 seasons (we don't have to, but it is the right thing to do, and the Rooneys typically are willing to shell out the dollars to their core players, in spite of popular opinion otherwise). But we do hold the cards and can keep him until he is old enough that no one will sign him to that huge deal he is after. I think Harrison and his agent will come to the conclusion that they might as well get this done now.

While that's what I'd like to see happen, I always think of the worse possible scenario.
He could still hold out. He could become an unmanageable head case to the point where
they'd have no choice but to release him after his final year, and some goofball Jerry Jones
or Al Davis owner would still sign him for huge money at the age of 32 or 33.