PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys remember the 'Fall of Woodley'?

Chadman
03-15-2009, 11:49 PM
The year we drafted LaMarr, does anyone remember how his stock fell pre-draft?

Leading up to the combine, Woodley was rated a mid-1st round talent- his college career was outstanding, he had a history to back up his ranking- but then came the Senior Bowl...and the Combine...and soon Woodley was mentioned as a mid-round 2nd pick or even a 3rd because he was shorter, slower & hadn't dominated the Senior Bowl. So- Woodley's 'fall' was AFTER he had finished playing FOOTBALL & due mainly to the 'Horse & Cart' show that is the Combine & Senior Bowl weeks. Fast forward a couple of years & we all now see Woodley is far better than advertised, plenty fast & big enough, and his college career is a far better indicator of his talent than an organised practice- right?

So Chadman was thinking- who's stock has fallen between PLAYING FOOTBALL & the Senior Bowl/Combine meat market?

One name really stood out to Chadman-

http://www.nflfans.com/x/gallery/files/draft/WillMoore.jpg

WILLIAM MOORE FS MISSOURI

This dude was a Top 15 pick 5 months ago- now he runs a 4.5 & he's possibly a 3rd round or lower pick??

Pros: Average size with good bulk..diagnoses the run very well and is a hard hitter..good nose for the ball and knows what to do with it his hands.. plays his zone well in pass coverage..is a fs that could easily make the transition to the strong if a team so desired..positive team first mentality and has been the qb of his teams D the last 2 seasons..
Cons: Is he really going to run 4.5?..seems stiff athletically doesnt have the natural agility of other free safties..has had injury concerns..can miss tackles by going for kill shot as opposed to wrapping up..man to man skills arent the greatest and and can not match up 1 on 1 with wr's..might be better off losing 5-10 pounds if he is going to stay at free saftey.

Safety isn't the biggest 'need' for the Steelers, BUT....Ryan Clark is entering his contract year, Ty Carter is old, Anthony Smith is gone, Ryan Mundy is untested....if William Moore is on the board at #64, would you complain?

Just think of Woodley's 'fall' before you make your decision...

Snatch98
03-16-2009, 12:37 AM
Apparently he's a bit of a head case according to Mayock but I'd definitely take a look at the guy. In that same light however Andre Smith is another that may fall a little bit but he's not going to get anywhere near 32 so the drop off isn't the same.

Oviedo
03-16-2009, 07:49 AM
He fits the mold more of a Strong Safety in the box type of player. He may have the same problem transitioning to Free Safety that Anthony "Knucklehead" Smith had. I'd rather have them look at a legit Free Safety with excellent coverage abilities and speed.

We do have a need for a back up Strong Safety in case Troy is hurt but that needs to be a much later pick than Moore will be available for.

SteelCzar76
03-16-2009, 08:45 AM
The year we drafted LaMarr, does anyone remember how his stock fell pre-draft?

Leading up to the combine, Woodley was rated a mid-1st round talent- his college career was outstanding, he had a history to back up his ranking- but then came the Senior Bowl...and the Combine...and soon Woodley was mentioned as a mid-round 2nd pick or even a 3rd because he was shorter, slower & hadn't dominated the Senior Bowl. So- Woodley's 'fall' was AFTER he had finished playing FOOTBALL & due mainly to the 'Horse & Cart' show that is the Combine & Senior Bowl weeks. Fast forward a couple of years & we all now see Woodley is far better than advertised, plenty fast & big enough, and his college career is a far better indicator of his talent than an organised practice- right?

So Chadman was thinking- who's stock has fallen between PLAYING FOOTBALL & the Senior Bowl/Combine meat market?

One name really stood out to Chadman-

http://www.nflfans.com/x/gallery/files/draft/WillMoore.jpg

WILLIAM MOORE FS MISSOURI

This dude was a Top 15 pick 5 months ago- now he runs a 4.5 & he's possibly a 3rd round or lower pick??

Pros: Average size with good bulk..diagnoses the run very well and is a hard hitter..good nose for the ball and knows what to do with it his hands.. plays his zone well in pass coverage..is a fs that could easily make the transition to the strong if a team so desired..positive team first mentality and has been the qb of his teams D the last 2 seasons..
Cons: Is he really going to run 4.5?..seems stiff athletically doesnt have the natural agility of other free safties..has had injury concerns..can miss tackles by going for kill shot as opposed to wrapping up..man to man skills arent the greatest and and can not match up 1 on 1 with wr's..might be better off losing 5-10 pounds if he is going to stay at free saftey.

Safety isn't the biggest 'need' for the Steelers, BUT....Ryan Clark is entering his contract year, Ty Carter is old, Anthony Smith is gone, Ryan Mundy is untested....if William Moore is on the board at #64, would you complain?

Just think of Woodley's 'fall' before you make your decision...

I remember this (Young He-Man's stock falling) very well Chad. And i feel where your going with this,..meaurables or lack thereof aren't always the end all be all in terms of governing productivity.

But the thing that separates Moore and Woodley to me is the fact that more than anything it was Moore's considerable drop off in production his senior season that has hurt his draft stock.

In essence many pundits were looking for him to make up for as much during the Senior Bowl and Combine. And his failure to do so has given alot of scouts and personnel people pause.

That being said,....i most certainly feel that we could use some more young stud playmakers in the secondary,...as i believe the pressure that Aaron, Wood, Silverback, and Hamp generate up front protects a secondary of overacheivers. (with the exception of Troy)

But is Moore that guy ?,....i just don't know,...