PDA

View Full Version : The Legend of Jack Lambert

Discipline of Steel
03-14-2009, 09:04 PM
" I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"-Jack Lambert

Theres one for Goodell to chew on...

Today we have Ward, Clark, Farrior, Harrison, and now Sweeeeed personifying this paradigm.

Anyone else have a fav quote or story from or about his Greatness?

grotonsteel
03-14-2009, 09:39 PM
" I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"-Jack Lambert

:tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

birtikidis
03-14-2009, 09:46 PM
"I was so fortunate to have played on some of the greatest teams of all time and arguably the greatest defense ever assembled. And finally, how fortunate I was to play for the Pittsburgh fans... a proud and hard-working people who love their football and their players. If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler!

grotonsteel
03-14-2009, 09:50 PM
Few Jack Lambert quotes i have read from different Steelers forums... i got these from Steelers Fever website:

"The Steelers drafted guys who were bigger, stronger and faster than I, but they never found one who could take my job away from me."

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler."

"I am very aggressive and very physical. On the field I guess I am just plain mean."

Does anyone remember a famous statement he made as a rookie?

NKySteeler
03-14-2009, 09:51 PM
"What are you doing with that turkey in your hands, son?"

.... When my buddy got caught poaching in Lambert's territory after he retired and became a game warden in SWPa.

Discipline of Steel
03-14-2009, 09:59 PM
"What are you doing with that turkey in your hands, son?"

.... When my buddy got caught poaching in Lambert's territory after he retired and became a game warden in SWPa.

Great one! I would have sh!!t my pants!

Heres a good one by Elway I just found:

"He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." Denver rookie QB John Elway, after Lambert knocked Elway out of his first game as a pro (1983).

birtikidis
03-14-2009, 10:00 PM
My names Jack Lambert and I'm from MFing Grambling.

grotonsteel
03-14-2009, 10:14 PM
My names Jack Lambert and I'm from MFing Grambling.

Aha...Thats the one...Thx...

NKySteeler
03-14-2009, 10:16 PM

Perhaps because of the players' strike, which gave the rookies early run of training camp,or perhaps due to individual temperament, the clas of '74 was not like others. Case in point: One hot-tempered young fellow named Lambert.

It's a time-honored tradition that rookies are hazed in training camp. Although at one time things got a bit thick, nowadays it's as tame as singingyour school fight song before the assembly in the cafeteria. When one foolhardy fellow prodded Jack Lambert, the emerging number 58 would have none of it.

Lambert: "I don't #%^%ing sing." he snarled and strode out.

There was some grumbling among the players as they decided how to handle this heresy.

"Hey Joe," one player said to Greene, "what about it?"

Greene, who had taken a liking to the long, lean rookie's intensity, focus, and style, just smiled. "I guess Lambert doesn't sing," he said -- and left it at that.

The Pittsburgh Steelers: The Official Team History
by Abby Mendelson

Discipline of Steel
03-14-2009, 10:22 PM
Lambert: "I don't #%^%ing sing." he snarled and strode out.

I knew I dont like to sing for a reason! Check this one...

The week before the Super Bowl in Pasadena in 1980 was a downer. Winter rains had turned the practive field heavy and soggy, deadening the legs. The team had an air of defeat about it. One day after practice Lambert and a couple of teammates were having a beer in the Main Brace, the bar in their hotel in Newport Beach. A bunch of teeny-boppers spotted them.

"There's Jack Lambert," on of them said. "Hey, Jack, do you believe in astrology?"

No answer.

"What's your sign, Jack? You know, astrology."

"Feces," he said.

NKySteeler
03-14-2009, 10:55 PM
"Feces," he said.

That doesn't suprise me a bit... :lol:

Here's another from "Tales from behind the steel curtain" by Jim Wexell... A VERY good read if you haven't done so yet...

Chuck Noll had reminded reporters to keep an eye on Tom Beasley, but Jack Lambert didn't need reminding. He had his eye on Beasley the moment the back-up defensive tackle and his friend, a competitive rattlesnake hunter, showed up at training camp with a rattlesnake in a cage.

"Hey, Beas," Lambert called as the rest of the Steelers milled past the cage after practice. "Whatever you do, keep that snake away from me. I don't want to have anything to do with that snake."

"OK," said Beasley, who was aware snakes were Lambert's one great fear. The players left the field, showered, ate and hit the bars that night. Lambert went too, and was one of the stragglers as he returned to his room at St. Bonaventure Hall just before the 11 o'clock curfew.

Once in his room, Lambert saw the rattlesnake cage with the gate swung open, but no rattlesnake.

"I heard this screaming down the hall," said Gary Dunn. "It was Jack and he was yelling, 'Beasley, that's attempted murder! Attempted murder, damnit!' And then he started yelling for Chuck. 'Chuck, get out here! Attempted murder! Beasley's trying to kill me! He put a rattlesnake in my room!'"

The rest of the players popped out of thier rooms in varying stages of undress. Chuck Noll poked his head out of his room.

"Jack, what's your problem?"

"Coach," Lambert said. "Beasley's trying to kill me. He put a rattlesnake in my room."

The players who were in on the prank went downstairs, had a good laugh and told Lambert the snake's owner had set up the gag and taken the snake home. A fuming Lambert stepped outside to smoke a cigarette.

"Meanwhile," Dunn said, "Beas puts a rubber snake under his pillow. So after all this commotion, Jack finally goes to bed, gets into bed, pulls down the covers, reaches his hand under the pillow and hits this rubber snake. He went through the roof!"

Discipline of Steel
03-15-2009, 08:32 AM
"Tales from behind the steel curtain" by Jim Wexell... where did you get this NKyS? I would be very interested in reading it. Seems like a worthy bit of history to pursue in the absence of any real Steeler news lately.

Check out this video tribute I found on YouTube, its particularly good and includes the famous 'Incident at Super Bowl X' with Cliff Harris. I think this one 'non-play' set the tone for Steeler football for decades to come more than any other action he took on the field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hae6fMCoBrs

He is just plastering dudes with attitude, awesome...

It seemed appropriate to give this thread a rename since we have delved into a lot of the history behind the legend.

stlrz d
03-15-2009, 09:51 AM
NKy - That story is hilarious!!!

NKySteeler
03-15-2009, 12:54 PM
"Tales from behind the steel curtain" by Jim Wexell... where did you get this NKyS? I would be very interested in reading it. Seems like a worthy bit of history to pursue in the absence of any real Steeler news lately.

You can order it here...

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bookse ... el+curtain (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?WRD=tales+from+behind+the+steel+curtai n)

I think I got it at the Steelers store, but it isn't listed there anymore... His latest book, "Steeler Nation" is also a great read... It can be found at this site below, and I'd also suggest it for some great stories...

http://pittsburghsportspublishing.com/

NKySteeler
03-15-2009, 01:08 PM
NKy - That story is hilarious!!!

I tell 'ya, man... Wexell has written some great stuff IMO...

...Another good read, and I think a must read for Steeler fans is Dan Rooney's book...

http://news.steelers.com/catalog/product/79407/

It gave me some great insight into our history.

... At any point, the NKy book club review is over for the day... :lol:

Ozey74
03-15-2009, 04:50 PM

Is this what your referring to:

When he first approached fellow rookie and first round pick, Lynn Swann, in Latrobe at Training Camp he said, "Hey Swann, I should of been #1."

:tt2

eniparadoxgma
03-15-2009, 07:20 PM
All quarterbacks should wear dresses.

eniparadoxgma
03-15-2009, 07:51 PM
I can't find the exact quote about how quarterbacks should just be put in dresses, but I found a couple quotes from other people about him:

"He's so mean he hates himself."
-- J.T. Thomas --

"I don't care for the man. He makes more money than I do, and he don't have no teeth. He's Dracula."
-- Dallas LB Thomas "Hollywood" Henderson --

"Lambert may have had the image of a wild man. But he killed you with his precision."
-- Andy Russell --

johnstownsteel
03-17-2009, 06:20 PM
missed this thread earlier...

back during camp..in 81..maybe 82...my brothers and i were sitting on the hillside waiting for the team to come down to the practice field. back then, there weren't any ropes to separate the fans from the players. they just walked right down through the fans. anyway, when lambert (our favorite player) came strolling along my lil bro yells "hey lambert". jack just turn his head and scowls "HEY WHAT?" dude about made my lil bro piss himself while everyone around got the biggest kick out of it. i'll never forget it...