PDA

View Full Version : Trai Essex to Tennessee?

NKySteeler
03-14-2009, 01:55 PM
My apologies if this has already been posted...
-----------------------------------------------------------

March 13, 2009
Steelers lineman pays visit to Titans
Associated Press

Offensive lineman Trai Essex of the Pittsburgh Steelers has visited with the Tennessee Titans as the team looks for depth.

The Titans said Essex visited the team's headquarters Friday. Essex, a five-year veteran, has also played on special teams for the Steelers since being drafted by them in the third round.

Titans' reserve lineman Daniel Loper has signed a one-year contract with Detroit.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090 ... 13074/1027 (http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090313/SPORTS01/90313074/1027)

Flasteel
03-14-2009, 03:02 PM
Essex is a very versatile backup and I hope we don't lose him. If we are targeting young interior linemen and a tackle high in this draft then it wouldn't be too bad of a blow, but those things are hard to predict.

Discipline of Steel
03-14-2009, 07:57 PM
NFL is a copycat league. Tenn is trying to emulate Pittsburgh West by signing our second line guys.

Now that Essex has gone there, I dont want him back. Not like he was the solution anyway.

BTW, anyone notice Pendergast in KC? KC is trying to emulate Pittsburgh West too. Amazing what a difference a SB appearance can make for an organizations reputation.

NKySteeler
03-14-2009, 08:19 PM
Now that Essex has gone there, I dont want him back. Not like he was the solution anyway.

He's testing the waters, and I can't blame him for doing so... But it is a "sideways" move from backup to backup, when he stated that he wants to start somewhere... This means that it's all about money, and we all know that we're very close to the cap with the draft (and signing those players) yet to come.

I agree with Fla in the fact that he was a quality backup... Our O-line is awfully thin in quality and depth regardless of how they played down the stretch last season, and personally I think he is worth keeping... But hey, that's just me... :wink:

Discipline of Steel
03-14-2009, 08:55 PM

He's testing the waters, and I can't blame him for doing so... But it is a "sideways" move from backup to backup, when he stated that he wants to start somewhere... This means that it's all about money, and we all know that we're very close to the cap with the draft (and signing those players) yet to come.

I agree with Fla in the fact that he was a quality backup... Our O-line is awfully thin in quality and depth regardless of how they played down the stretch last season, and personally I think he is worth keeping... But hey, that's just me... :wink:

I hear you and I know you are right...however these words ring in my ears every time I hear about some guy leaving our team to chase $$$

"If I could do it all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

In light of that, I have lived my life as a Steeler purest. Are you listening James Harrison???

Oviedo
03-15-2009, 08:47 AM

Add my vote to that. Essex may be more valuable than we appreciate. I'd love to have him back.

NorthCoast
03-15-2009, 09:09 AM
Essex isn't going anywhere. His agent is doing his job by shopping his guy. We may have to pay a little more to keep him but he is a backup regardless of where he signs.

steeler_george
03-15-2009, 10:09 AM
I posted this before on post "NFL Free Agents" but I think got lost on bottom of page 2. Sorry for reposting it again, but I want to add to this subject and hear responses to my thoughts.
__________________________________________________ ___________________________

My apologies if this has already been posted...
-----------------------------------------------------------

March 13, 2009
Steelers lineman pays visit to Titans
Associated Press

Offensive lineman Trai Essex of the Pittsburgh Steelers has visited with the Tennessee Titans as the team looks for depth.

The Titans said Essex visited the team's headquarters Friday. Essex, a five-year veteran, has also played on special teams for the Steelers since being drafted by them in the third round.

Titans' reserve lineman Daniel Loper has signed a one-year contract with Detroit.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090 ... 13074/1027 (http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090313/SPORTS01/90313074/1027)

This is pretty interesting. I thought for sure we would sign him back on the squad, since we have no depth what so ever. He is a great reserve to have a proven veteran with some starting experience.

Could mean several things:

1) He over priced his value and we don't play that.
2) He is expendable meaning. Hills and Capri are more than capable in the eyes of the Staff.
3) We are going to sign another OL in FA. (BARNES?)
4) We are going OL early and often in the draft.

Did Barnes sign with the Raiders or else where? Could his price of fallen now? Although some say he was horrid last year, I don't think his sub-par play is all his fault. That team lost both starting guards. Maybe a change of scenery would help.

Slid him in as a RT or RG, Colon to RTor RG or to Essex's role as a reserve G/T, Stapleton back to reserve C & G.

Not to get ahead of myself, but that would make this OL to a very solid, deep, player flexible OL. Barnes would be a good piece of the puzzle along with Kemo to start building the 2010 OL when Starks, Colon, Hartwig are all FA again. And of course that is with out this years draft.

Help me out here the figures might be wrong. I am doing this from memory, but just over all picture.

With Colon, Kemo, and Starks signed, we spent a total of what? $15 M this year for 3 players. Add in the lump sum of Hatwig and Stapleton for a total budget on our OL equals $20M. Is there room in that budget to sign a better than average FA C/G/T?

buckeyehoppy
03-15-2009, 02:09 PM
This is pretty interesting. I thought for sure we would sign Essex back on the squad, since we have no depth what so ever. He is a great reserve to have a proven veteran with some starting experience.

And that's all Essex is. If he believes himself to be a starting caliber player at this stage of his career, he is begging. Teams aren't going to sign him thinking that he can start. Or, if they do sign him as a starter, it won't be a long-term deal. I can't see Essex getting a long-term deal as a starter from anyone. His best bet would be to stay with the Steelers. We are more likely to give him more of what he wants than anyone.

Could mean several things:
1) He over priced his value and we don't play that.
2) He is expendable meaning. Hills and Capri are more than capable in the eyes of the Staff.
3) We are going to sign another OL in FA. (BARNES?)
4) We are going OL early and often in the draft.

#1: If he has, he is screwing himself. He has never been able to prove that he is anything more than a stop gap starter. If he was a starting caliber OL, he would have proved that already.

#2: All backups are expendable. If his contract demands are over the top then he can go f--- himself.

#3: Barnes is a thought, and I don't think he has been signed yet. But the SC is a concern for the Steelers at this point.

#4: I'm on record as saying that the Steelers need to haul at least three OL players out of this draft total. And I'll go one step further and say that 2 of the first 4 picks are going to be OL out of contractual and salary cap necessity. After next season, Colon, Kemo and Starks are ALL UFA. If anyone thinks that's not a major concern, those people are begging.

Did Barnes sign with the Raiders or else where? Could his price of fallen now? Although some say he was horrid last year, I don't think his sub-par play is all his fault. That team lost both starting guards. Maybe a change of scenery would help.

Slid him in as a RT or RG, Colon to RTor RG or to Essex's role as a reserve G/T, Stapleton back to reserve C & G.

Not to get ahead of myself, but that would make this OL to a very solid, deep, player flexible OL. Barnes would be a good piece of the puzzle along with Kemo to start building the 2010 OL when Starks, Colon, Hartwig are all FA again. And of course that is with out this years draft.

As stated before, I don't think Barnes has signed. And the concerns over his play might have something to do with the interior injuries on the Jags OL. But, if you are going to bring him in long-term...something I am sure he is going to want...he's going to need to beat out Starks and be able to take on his job. I am concerned that he may not be all that and a bag of chips. If he isn't, why would the Steelers pay this guy mad jack if he can't take over Max's role?

With Colon, Kemo, and Starks signed, we spent a total of what? $15 M this year for 3 players. Add in the lump sum of Hatwig and Stapleton for a total budget on our OL equals $20M. Is there room in that budget to sign a better than average FA C/G/T?

That's the other concern. Unless Barnes can beat out Max RIGHT NOW, would he even be worth the trouble to sign? He's going to want a long term deal and probably wants a handsome payday. Under the Steelers salary cap circumstances, I can't see that happening unless the FO feels pretty strongly that Barnes can take the LT job ASAP.

RuthlessBurgher
03-15-2009, 02:16 PM
#3: Barnes is a thought, and I don't think he has been signed yet. But the SC is a concern for the Steelers at this point.

#4: I'm on record as saying that the Steelers need to haul at least three OL players out of this draft total. And I'll go one step further and say that 2 of the first 4 picks are going to be OL out of contractual and salary cap necessity. After next season, Colon, Kemo and Starks are ALL UFA. If anyone thinks that's not a major concern, those people are begging.

Barnes signed a 1 year deal with the Raiders. He's been terrible recently anyway. After a promising start to his career, he's been pretty awful lately.

I agree with the 2 out of first 4 picks on the o-line and possibly 3 o-lineman overall thought, however it is Starks, Colon, and Hartwig at will UFA after next season. Kemo has been locked up for 5 years.

buckeyehoppy
03-15-2009, 10:24 PM

Barnes signed a 1 year deal with the Raiders. He's been terrible recently anyway. After a promising start to his career, he's been pretty awful lately.

I agree with the 2 out of first 4 picks on the o-line and possibly 3 o-lineman overall thought, however it is Starks, Colon, and Hartwig at will UFA after next season. Kemo has been locked up for 5 years.

Thanks for the updates and corrections.

Barnes was someone that I was really interested in early on. But the more I looked at him, the less I was interested. FWIW, the only FA OT that would have been worth the trouble was Gross, and we all saw how his situation developed.

BTW, Cherepinsky's Mock Draft on Walter Football BLOWS!!! The Steelers must have p!ssed in this guys Wheaties, because there is no f---ing way Smith goes that high in the draft. Sean Smith = Scott Shields.

Northern_Blitz
03-16-2009, 09:00 AM
If it came down to Essex or signing a UFA from another team, I'd rather keep our own.

He already knows the system and the coaches know what he can do.

Another angle I've been thinking about lately is that signing him wouldn't make us loose one of the comps we're set to get from BMac or Washington. Signing an outside UFA would be like trading Essex for another back-up and a 4th or 5th round pick. If the money isn't that much different, I'd rather keep the extra pick.

Blaming a player for testing FA is kind of rediculous to me. If you tell yourself that you wouldn't do the same thing, you're lying to yourself. It's a business for the players as well as the teams. Not looking out for yourself is selling out your family for the team (even if it's only your grand kids, or your great grand kids). I would try to make as much money as I could in that situation, especially if I'd already won 2 SBs.

Oviedo
03-16-2009, 09:37 AM
Essex is an experienced veteran who knows the offense and can play multiple positions. He is an asset. I'd be OK slightly overpaying for a known versus get a "bargain" unknown.

Discipline of Steel
03-16-2009, 12:25 PM
Blaming a player for testing FA is kind of rediculous to me. If you tell yourself that you wouldn't do the same thing, you're lying to yourself. It's a business for the players as well as the teams. Not looking out for yourself is selling out your family for the team (even if it's only your grand kids, or your great grand kids). I would try to make as much money as I could in that situation, especially if I'd already won 2 SBs.

I know, I just like to be idealistic! :tt1