PDA

View Full Version : Seven round Mack Draft.

WoodleyofTroy
03-12-2009, 10:13 PM
#32 - Alex Mack C California
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/54/546449.jpg

#64 - Jarron Gilbert DE San Jose State
http://www.yardbarker.com/media/5/f/5fd408055d40200e62aafb8724de88d3df79445f/xl/YB_Jarron_Gilbert.jpg

3rd (a) - Mike Mickens CB Cincinnati
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/55/555068.jpg

3rd (b) - Kraig Urbik G Wisconsin
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/47/473165.jpg

4th - Jason Phillips ILB TCU
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/55/551222.jpg

5th - Mitch King DE/OLB Iowa
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/57/572184.jpg

6th - Jorvorskie Lane RB/FB Texas A&M
http://images.usatoday.com/sports/_photos/2006/11/02/texasam.jpg

7th - Morgan Trent CB Michigan
http://www.mikedesimone.com/m05/northwestern/dn22.jpg

7th - Kyle Link T McNeese State
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/combine/headshots/79599.jpg

#1 - You get Alex Mack and Kraig Urbik holding the interior for the next decade to go along with that 100 million dollar contract. The new Jeff Hartings - Alan Faneca package. And it's a big one at 6'4'' (Mack) and 6'5'' (Urbik). These guys are leaders with smarts who know how to play the game, with Pittsburgh Steeler character. Roethlisberger, Miller, Ward, Holmes, Mendenhall, Parker, Sweed...can you imagine what this Offense could be capable of after adding two more names to that list above, with it being on the OL? I'd predict Bruce Arians becoming the next Todd Haley overnight.

#2 - The freakish athletic Jarron Gilbert learning from the get it done football player Aaron Smith. Wow. This won't be fair for opposing Quarterback's when Gilbert and Woodley are one day coming from the same side of the line.

#3 - Jason Phillips and Mitch King. Quality guys. The Mack and Urbik for the D (you starting to see the theme here?) When you add "football" players to an already dominating Defense, Mike Vrabel's start to pop out. Phillips and Timmons would be a force inside, and King has the versatility to play anywhere in any scheme while adding much needed depth.

#4 - Jorvoskie Bettis, I mean Lane. Weighing in at 6'0'' 286 pounds, look at these stats before Mike Sherman took over the Offense making him a Fullback his Senior year.
Freshman - 119 rushes, 595 yards (5.0 ypc), 9 TD
Sophomore - 166 rushes, 725 yards (4.4ypc), 19 TD
Junior year - 169 rushes, 780 yards (4.6 ypc), 16 TD
Senior year - 35 rushes, 93 yards, 5 TD

And it's the way he does it. He's got that stumble forward always moving his feet building up momentum approach that we were use to seeing here. Here's a preview. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaDTBQfngL0

#5 - Mike Mickens is a first round talent who would be right up there with Malcom Jenkins and Vontae Davis as far as big names go, if not for a knee injury dropping his draft status. Reminds me a lot of Mike Jenkins out of South Florida who was drafted by the Cowboys in the first round last year. A steal in the 3rd, with teams opting for the more raw upside sleeper approach in guys like Domonique Johnson. Another steal is Morgan Trent. 4 year starter with plenty of experience, who didn't benefit from sticking around for the coaching change rebuild.

BigBen2112
03-12-2009, 10:29 PM
Its likely that 5 of the players you chose wont be around when you have them slated. Jarron Gilbert, Mike Mickens, Kraig Urbik, Jason Phillips, and Mitch King.

Also, why would you want Mitch King at OLB? Or for that matter at DE? His short arms and short stature puts him in an area of 34 DL that haven't succeeded in the past. Name a short 34 DE that had success.

Chadman
03-12-2009, 10:40 PM
7 round 'Mack' draft?

1. Alex Mack
2. Alex Mack
3. Alex Mack
4. Alex Mack
5. Alex Mack
6. Alex Mack
7. Alex Mack

WoodleyofTroy
03-12-2009, 10:42 PM
Its likely that 5 of the players you chose wont be around when you have them slated. Jarron Gilbert, Mike Mickens, Kraig Urbik, Jason Phillips, and Mitch King.

Also, why would you want Mitch King at OLB? Or for that matter at DE? His short arms and short stature puts him in an area of 34 DL that haven't succeeded in the past. Name a short 34 DE that had success.

You had the same responses last year lol. I had Erin Henderson in the 3rd and you said he wouldn't be there. Guy doesn't even get drafted :Blah . When are people going to learn that you don't use the terms "no way", "won't", and "not going to happen", while making a response to a mock draft? You just set yourself up for failure every year when the actual show comes on.

As for King. He reminds me of Chris Hoke/Mike Vrabel. Guy to keep around for versatility no matter what kind of Defense is out there on the field. I can see him as an OLB, just like many other draft enthuiasts do.

WoodleyofTroy
03-12-2009, 10:46 PM
7 round 'Mack' draft?

1. Alex Mack
2. Alex Mack
3. Alex Mack
4. Alex Mack
5. Alex Mack
6. Alex Mack
7. Alex Mack

We would have to trade up in those later rounds.

I was going to put "Steeler Mack", but then the title would of just been misleading or not clear.

BigBen2112
03-12-2009, 10:49 PM

You had the same responses last year lol. I had Erin Henderson in the 3rd and you said he wouldn't be there. Guy doesn't even get drafted :Blah . When are people going to learn that you don't use the terms "no way", "won't", and "not going to happen", while making a response to a mock draft? You just set yourself up for failure every year when the actual show comes on.

As for King. He reminds me of Chris Hoke/Mike Vrabel. Guy to keep around for versatility no matter what kind of Defense is out there on the field. I can see him as an OLB, just like many other draft enthuiasts do.

You must have me confused with someone else b/c I did not like Erin Henderson at all and I had him in the 6th.

And I hardly set myself up for failure.

You also must have missed the fact that I said its possible that they wont be there. I never said they wouldn't be. But you also have to put them in a more realistic area.

Kraig Urbik might be the best pure OG in this draft...him falling to the comp. 3rd would be really impressive.

WoodleyofTroy
03-12-2009, 10:49 PM
Roy Schuening also wouldn't be there in the 2nd. Ends up in the fifth.

WoodleyofTroy
03-12-2009, 10:53 PM

You must have me confused with someone else b/c I did not like Erin Henderson at all and I had him in the 6th.

lol no you didn't.....and I can swear that on my unborn child. I forget nothing. Just like your claims of Ty Conklin being better for us than MAF.

BigBen2112
03-12-2009, 11:02 PM

lol no you didn't.....and I can swear that on my unborn child. I forget nothing. Just like your claims of Ty Conklin being better for us than MAF.

:lol: :lol:

And yes I did say that about Henderson. My track record on the draft in impeccable.

2008:
Donnie Avery
Kendall Langford
Cliff Avril
Tyvon Branch
Anthony Collins
Orlando Scandrick

And I am hardly simply a draft enthusiast.

Anyways, about the Conklin vs. MAF thing...I started watching hockey when my wife and I met as she's a huge hockey enthusiast...my level of knowledge about hockey is average at best...and its not like Conklin sucks like many claimed...and he's certainly better than any backup we've had.

About King as Hoke...well I think if he could add another 20-25 lbs then he could be considered someone like that, but overall he seems to be more of a 43 run-stopping, penetrating DT (based on size and overall play history). Hey, I like King's effort, motor, heart, and understanding of the game as much as anyone. I just dont think he specifically fits our scheme.

BigBen2112
03-12-2009, 11:06 PM
Furthermore, when you do draft analysis you analyze the players ability and likelihood to succeed in different systems (and I am a production-theorist...unlike some guys who are more physical attribute guys) and then where their talent and ability are likely to land them and where they are good values.

If you ever read most of my stuff...I talk about whether players are values at specific picks.

Like Duane Brown in the first was in no way a value pick. His value at that slot did not equal his production and overall ability.

That's how I rate players. I am sometimes wrong...Mendenhall and Sweed not being available for example. (I had Mendenhall before Stewart b/c I actually thought teams would worry more about Stewart's injury than they obviously did...and I had Sweed at a first round grade and no WRs were taken in the first...made him a good value in the 2nd for the Steelers).

WoodleyofTroy
03-12-2009, 11:14 PM
Furthermore, when you do draft analysis you analyze the players ability and likelihood to succeed in different systems (and I am a production-theorist...unlike some guys who are more physical attribute guys) and then where their talent and ability are likely to land them and where they are good values.

If you ever read most of my stuff...I talk about whether players are values at specific picks.

Like Duane Brown in the first was in no way a value pick. His value at that slot did not equal his production and overall ability.

That's how I rate players.

Duane Brown is a good example of why I don't look at rankings other than just to learn about the players being drafted. Another reason I do mocks. Not to get it right. Just to familiarize myself. Mendenhall and Sweed were definitely nowhere near their predicted selections. And who would of thought while watching the draft that Quentin Groves was almost there for us in the 2nd, when we were talking about him for the 1st?

BigBen2112
03-12-2009, 11:24 PM

That's how I rate players.

Duane Brown is a good example of why I don't look at rankings other than just to learn about the players being drafted. Another reason I do mocks. Not to get it right. Just to familiarize myself. Mendenhall and Sweed were definitely nowhere near their predicted selections. And who would of thought while watching the draft that Quentin Groves was almost there for us in the 2nd, when we were talking about him for the 1st?

Lots of weird things happen in the draft...that's why I am NOT saying you're wrong and that the players are impossible to be there.

I think that some of the players you mentioned are actually trending upwards (Jarron Gilbert) and that I have other players values at different rounds.

I dont look at "rankings" really either b/c a ranking has no significance without qualification...its just a number.

If your mock could happen we'd be getting:
1. Late first/early 2nd round value
2. Late first/early 2nd round value
3. Late 2nd/early 3rd round value
3. Late 2nd/early-to-mid 3rd round (at latest) value
4. mid-third round value

Those are the values I have assigned to players...doesn't mean they go there though, as you and I have discussed.

What that would mean is that in your draft that the Steelers would be getting VERY VERY good value with all of their picks.

But i think another thing that should be brought up in this discussion is that players move up and down in the draft and its not always b/c they shouldn't be taken earlier...but b/c of the fact that some teams dont draft well.

The thing that I work the hardest on in my analysis is being able to give "values" to players in a certain range that can help gauge their future production in the NFL based on past production and likely scheme...in that way some teams dont draft well b/c they dont get great value for their picks...Duane Brown is the perfect example of that...and he certainly did not play like a 1st round pick last season.

I do agree with you man, anything is possible in the draft...never know what Dan Snyder, Jerry Jones, Cincinnati, and the one and only Al Davis will come up with. Watch Al Davis take Jeremy Maclin.

WoodleyofTroy
03-12-2009, 11:34 PM
Just saying those values can change a week before the draft (i.e. our outlook on players). How high did everyone value a Jerod Mayo around this time last year? It wasn't until a couple weeks out, when he was jumping up the boards.

So take Mickens and Urbik as a prediction to a prediction of how we'll be rating them right before the draft lol.

BigBen2112
03-12-2009, 11:36 PM
Just saying those values can change a week before the draft (i.e. our outlook on players). How high did everyone value a Jerod Mayo around this time last year? It wasn't until a couple weeks out, when he was jumping up the boards.

So take Mickens and Urbik as a prediction to a prediction of how we'll be rating them right before the draft lol.

:lol: :lol:

Alright. :D

I had Jerod Mayo as a 1st round pick...but NOT that high LOL...he definitely played like a 1st round pick though.

MeetJoeGreene
03-12-2009, 11:44 PM
that is an excellent mock draft

Oviedo
03-13-2009, 08:26 AM

You also must have missed the fact that I said its possible that they wont be there. I never said they wouldn't be. But you also have to put them in a more realistic area.

Kraig Urbik might be the best pure OG in this draft...him falling to the comp. 3rd would be really impressive.

Totally agree about Urbik. If we don't get him at 2.64 we are not going to get him. IMO he will be the best Guard in this draft.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-13-2009, 10:10 AM
This is mine...

RKSteel
03-13-2009, 10:43 AM
WoT, excellent mock, I have Mack going higher, though. :D

Oviedo
03-13-2009, 10:46 AM
This is mine...

Names please

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-13-2009, 12:03 PM
This is mine...

Names please

The names are in my sig....

...."Here's you sign"! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-13-2009, 12:16 PM
#32 - Alex Mack C California
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/54/546449.jpg

#64 - Jarron Gilbert DE San Jose State
http://www.yardbarker.com/media/5/f/5fd408055d40200e62aafb8724de88d3df79445f/xl/YB_Jarron_Gilbert.jpg

3rd (a) - Mike Mickens CB Cincinnati
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/55/555068.jpg

3rd (b) - Kraig Urbik G Wisconsin
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/47/473165.jpg

4th - Jason Phillips ILB TCU
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/55/551222.jpg

5th - Mitch King DE/OLB Iowa
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/57/572184.jpg

6th - Jorvorskie Lane RB/FB Texas A&M
http://images.usatoday.com/sports/_photos/2006/11/02/texasam.jpg

7th - Morgan Trent CB Michigan
http://www.mikedesimone.com/m05/northwestern/dn22.jpg

7th - Kyle Link T McNeese State
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/combine/headshots/79599.jpg

#1 - You get Alex Mack and Kraig Urbik holding the interior for the next decade to go along with that 100 million dollar contract. The new Jeff Hartings - Alan Faneca package. And it's a big one at 6'4'' (Mack) and 6'5'' (Urbik). These guys are leaders with smarts who know how to play the game, with Pittsburgh Steeler character. Roethlisberger, Miller, Ward, Holmes, Mendenhall, Parker, Sweed...can you imagine what this Offense could be capable of after adding two more names to that list above, with it being on the OL? I'd predict Bruce Arians becoming the next Todd Haley overnight.

#2 - The freakish athletic Jarron Gilbert learning from the get it done football player Aaron Smith. Wow. This won't be fair for opposing Quarterback's when Gilbert and Woodley are one day coming from the same side of the line.

#3 - Jason Phillips and Mitch King. Quality guys. The Mack and Urbik for the D (you starting to see the theme here?) When you add "football" players to an already dominating Defense, Mike Vrabel's start to pop out. Phillips and Timmons would be a force inside, and King has the versatility to play anywhere in any scheme while adding much needed depth.

#4 - Jorvoskie Bettis, I mean Lane. Weighing in at 6'0'' 286 pounds, look at these stats before Mike Sherman took over the Offense making him a Fullback his Senior year.
Freshman - 119 rushes, 595 yards (5.0 ypc), 9 TD
Sophomore - 166 rushes, 725 yards (4.4ypc), 19 TD
Junior year - 169 rushes, 780 yards (4.6 ypc), 16 TD
Senior year - 35 rushes, 93 yards, 5 TD

And it's the way he does it. He's got that stumble forward always moving his feet building up momentum approach that we were use to seeing here. Here's a preview. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaDTBQfngL0

#5 - Mike Mickens is a first round talent who would be right up there with Malcom Jenkins and Vontae Davis as far as big names go, if not for a knee injury dropping his draft status. Reminds me a lot of Mike Jenkins out of South Florida who was drafted by the Cowboys in the first round last year. A steal in the 3rd, with teams opting for the more raw upside sleeper approach in guys like Domonique Johnson. Another steal is Morgan Trent. 4 year starter with plenty of experience, who didn't benefit from sticking around for the coaching change rebuild.

I would be very happy with that draft. It would be nice if Urbik was around at a #3 but I don't know if he falls that far. If JL shows commitment to developing his upper body strength...He could be a steal in this draft. He will need it at this level. He is what we are looking for as the "Big Back" but at whose expense on the roster? "Cough"..."Cough"...Carey Davis? I would love to give him his shot. It would be SaaaWEET to have him miked up for the first time he runs Ray Ray over. As he stands up and looks down at Ray Ray....We could here JL say...."Ticket Please!!!"

SteelerOfDeVille
03-13-2009, 12:59 PM
that is an excellent mock draft
agreed... and love mickens.... i think he'll be the mid-round steal...

Oviedo
03-13-2009, 01:28 PM
Could Mitch King play ILB. He looks to have Levon Kirkland size and seems to be a playmaker.

BigBen2112
03-13-2009, 02:27 PM
Could Mitch King play ILB. He looks to have Levon Kirkland size and seems to be a playmaker.

Ya see this is the problem with a guy like King. People love him because of his intangibles (and I completely agree) but he simply seems to have a very difficult NFL projection. At ILB he'd be like the biggest of all time (weight wise). Kirkland played at around 270...and he was massive...and I simply do not know if there would be a place for Levon Kirkland in the current NFL. Think about it...he was slow(er) and with the speed of the receivers, TEs, and backs I dont believe Kirkland could handle the "new" NFL. I see the same thing from Mitch King. But I dont like King at OLB really either. His "best" position might be to be Chris Hoke on 3rd downs...

WoodleyofTroy
03-13-2009, 02:39 PM

Ya see this is the problem with a guy like King. People love him because of his intangibles (and I completely agree) but he simply seems to have a very difficult NFL projection. At ILB he'd be like the biggest of all time (weight wise). Kirkland played at around 270...and he was massive...and I simply do not know if there would be a place for Levon Kirkland in the current NFL. Think about it...he was slow(er) and with the speed of the receivers, TEs, and backs I dont believe Kirkland could handle the "new" NFL. I see the same thing from Mitch King. But I dont like King at OLB really either. His "best" position might be to be Chris Hoke on 3rd downs...

He is your classic "lacks a position in the NFL" type of player, who gets by with football instincts, passion, and feel for the game. This is the kind of guy that makes the roster because you find it hard to let a contributor like this go. What's not to like about that from your 5th round pick?

WoodleyofTroy
03-13-2009, 02:42 PM
He was recruited out of high school as a Linebacker by the way.

Iowa DT Mitch King on accountability
6:29 AM Thu, Mar 12, 2009

Mitch King was a four-year starter at defensive tackle for the University of Iowa. Recruited as a linebacker, the Hawkeyes moved him to the defensive line in the spring of his redshirt season. He proved to be a quick learner, earning All-Big Ten honors in each of his final two seasons and Big Ten Defensive Lineman of the Year honors in 2008.

King collected 228 career tackles, including 55 that produced losses. Included in that were 17 1/2 sacks. King was a self-made player.

"The first thing I learned at Iowa is you have to watch film -- not only of your opponents, but of yourself," King said. "You have to correct your mistakes every day. I watch more film on myself than my opponents. You have to watch yourself every day, every play and ask yourself, `Could I have gone harder...Could I have done something different on that play?' You have to find a way to get better every play."

It's a work ethic and an accountability that will carry him far in the NFL.

BigBen2112
03-13-2009, 02:48 PM

He is your classic "lacks a position in the NFL" type of player, who gets by with football instincts, passion, and feel for the game. This is the kind of guy that makes the roster because you find it hard to let a contributor like this go. What's not to like about that from your 5th round pick?

Well from a 5th round pick I dont really mind that at all...if we can get him on the field...special teams maybe...but I just have a feeling that some team that runs a 43 isn't going to be stupid and let the type of player you're talking about get away earlier than the 5th...that's not to say he wont be there in the 5th at all...I just think his immediate projection is best at 43 and a team might be willing to take a chance on his intangibles earlier. But in the 5th? What the heck...its not like our other 5th round picks do much...we get more production from our UDFAs. :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
03-13-2009, 03:27 PM
WoT, I love your picks in the first 4 rounds (of course, I have Mack, Gilbert, and Urbik in my first mock too, so it makes sense that I would approve of yours!). If that came to pass, it would be absolutely tremendous. After that, though, I have to agree with the other that Mitch King, while he is a solid player overall, would have a hard time finding a true role in LeBeau's 3-4 defense. And Jorvorskie Lane never did anything for me. He did not even show up for the Texas A&M Pro Day recently. They said it was because he was focusing on school (don't all draft-eligible players stop taking course that Spring to concentrate on their job interviews for the NFL?) but I imagine that if you read between the lines, they are saying he is too fat to work out right now. Dude is only 10 pounds lighter (at the same height) than Michigan's Terrance Taylor, who many on this board were promoting as a possible replacement for Casey Hampton! I would prefer a true FB (if Arians promised to actually use one) in the late rounds like Quinn Johnson, Brandon Southerland, or Tony Fiammetta.

WoodleyofTroy
03-13-2009, 03:38 PM
WoT, I love your picks in the first 4 rounds (of course, I have Mack, Gilbert, and Urbik in my first mock too, so it makes sense that I would approve of yours!). If that came to pass, it would be absolutely tremendous. After that, though, I have to agree with the other that Mitch King, while he is a solid player overall, would have a hard time finding a true role in LeBeau's 3-4 defense. And Jorvorskie Lane never did anything for me. He did not even show up for the Texas A&M Pro Day recently. They said it was because he was focusing on school (don't all draft-eligible players stop taking course that Spring to concentrate on their job interviews for the NFL?) but I imagine that if you read between the lines, they are saying he is too fat to work out right now. Dude is only 10 pounds lighter (at the same height) than Michigan's Terrance Taylor, who many on this board were promoting as a possible replacement for Casey Hampton! I would prefer a true FB (if Arians promised to actually use one) in the late rounds like Quinn Johnson, Brandon Southerland, or Tony Fiammetta.

I was taking Lane as a Running back. With the playcalling as it is (can't see it changing), we need to put a player out there that fits the call, to bail out the coaches, oppose to the coaching bailing themselves out with the right play call that fits our personel. Lane would be that guy on 3rd and shorts and in Goal line situations.

Oviedo
03-13-2009, 03:48 PM

Lane is a UDFA pick up. Don't waste a pick on him. The guy will eat himself out of the league in a couple of years. He only had 35 carries for 97 yards last year. Appears his body may already have broken down carrying that weight.