PDA

View Full Version : The Official Draft Alphonso Smith Thread

mshifko
03-12-2009, 01:50 PM
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/alphonso-smith?id=80435

every year around this time, we always have guys we want the steelers to draft...this is my guy...

alphonso smith is going to be a phenomenal corner in this league...in a 3-4 scheme he would fit in perfect because he is a natural playmaker, has good ball skills, and most importantly he can come up in run support...people are down on him because of his 5'9 size, but this guy is just a flat out athlete and player...i think this is a guy we can draft at 32 possibly without even having to trade up and he would be an outright steal...

after watching him in some games this season, i think he can be a return man as well...

check out some highlights against florida state, clemson, ...you mean to tell me that this guy wouldn't be a perfect fit with this defense? he's physical, athletic, has great instincts...he's never out of position
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED9C6JWaoPg

steelz09
03-12-2009, 02:01 PM
Even though I don't think it'll happen, I would be content if we draft only DL and OL rounds 1, 2 and 3.

Lebsteel
03-12-2009, 02:27 PM

every year around this time, we always have guys we want the steelers to draft...this is my guy...

alphonso smith is going to be a phenomenal corner in this league...in a 3-4 scheme he would fit in perfect because he is a natural playmaker, has good ball skills, and most importantly he can come up in run support...people are down on him because of his 5'9 size, but this guy is just a flat out athlete and player...i think this is a guy we can draft at 32 possibly without even having to trade up and he would be an outright steal...

after watching him in some games this season, i think he can be a return man as well...

check out some highlights against florida state, clemson, ...you mean to tell me that this guy wouldn't be a perfect fit with this defense? he's physical, athletic, has great instincts...he's never out of position

I've seen the clips, but I think if I had to go CB in Rd. 1, I'd take Sean Smith instead. He is seven inches taller, more versatile because he could be the replacement for Ryan Clark if Gay proves to be for real, he is just as athletic and has the same speed.

True Fan
03-12-2009, 03:08 PM

can he play center, guard and tackle?

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
03-12-2009, 03:17 PM
The guy sounds great, but how many 5'9 guys can you name that start at CB and were decent players? Not trying to diss the pick, just wondering.

RuthlessBurgher
03-12-2009, 03:29 PM
The guy sounds great, but how many 5'9 guys can you name that start at CB and were decent players? Not trying to diss the pick, just wondering.

The only one that I can think of off the top of my head was Darrell Green, but that dude was a sick athlete.

mshifko
03-12-2009, 03:30 PM
oh i know that is the knock on him...but if you're in great position, regardless of height, how much is it going to matter? ike's 6'1" and he couldn't stop fitz on a jump ball...height as a corner is a tad bit overrated, i mean chad scott was like 6'3"...timing and position is more important and he shows those capibilities game in and game out

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
03-12-2009, 03:46 PM
oh i know that is the knock on him...but if you're in great position, regardless of height, how much is it going to matter? ike's 6'1" and he couldn't stop fitz on a jump ball...height as a corner is a tad bit overrated, i mean chad scott was like 6'3"...timing and position is more important and he shows those capibilities game in and game out

So in other words you can't name to many can ya?

MeetJoeGreene
03-12-2009, 03:49 PM
just don't go all S43 on us a la Lendale White.....

:lol:

RuthlessBurgher
03-12-2009, 03:58 PM

On NFL.com, Ike Taylor is listed as 6'2" 195 lbs., while Chad Scott is listed as 6'1" 205 lbs.

mshifko
03-12-2009, 04:32 PM

what does that matter, honestly? you don't have to be a clone of someone to be successful...i really think height is not that big of a deal concerning cornerbacks in our scheme...

mshifko
03-12-2009, 04:33 PM
On NFL.com, Ike Taylor is listed as 6'2" 195 lbs., while Chad Scott is listed as 6'1" 205 lbs.

off just a little bit...i could have sworn chad scott was taller though...

regardless, alphonso's height is really the only knock that teams can have on him...a knock that could let him slide right into our hands

mshifko
03-12-2009, 04:39 PM
just don't go all S43 on us a la Lendale White.....

:lol:

haha don't worry about that

i'm not too huge on measurables, i look at the guys on film...and i think alphonso smith is the real deal for sure...i'm not going to bash who we pick, i trust our draft team, but i got to give smith props...

Chadman
03-12-2009, 06:30 PM

Antoine Winfield, Ronde Barber (5'10"), Brandon Flowers, Lito Shephard, Nathan Vasher, Pacman Jones, DeAngelo Hall, Darrell Green, Tyrone Poole, Deshea Townsend....all within 0'1" of 5'9"....just off the top of Chadman's head....

SteelCzar76
03-12-2009, 07:14 PM
I really do not think that there is any standout and or elite corners in this entire draft,....meaning imo i think any of them outside of possibly Jenkins would be a reach in the 1st.

I like Macho Harris,.and he can be taken later. Measurables aside,..when this kid is on the field he simply makes plays. Sure he doesn't have elite speed, but we run a great deal of zone and i get a young Rhonde Barber feel about him. Besides,..he could possibly even make the Transition to FS.

BigBen2112
03-12-2009, 10:44 PM

Jason David and Brandon Flowers.

And some of the best CBs in the NFL are only 5'10 (Asante Samuel).

The height isnt an issue...its whether his vertical jump will help him increase his on field "height" and the answer is questionable right now (34 inch vertical isn't really that great).

BigBen2112
03-12-2009, 10:47 PM
I really do not think that there is any standout and or elite corners in this entire draft,....meaning imo i think any of them outside of possibly Jenkins would be a reach in the 1st.

I like Macho Harris,.and he can be taken later. Measurables aside,..when this kid is on the field he simply makes plays. Sure he doesn't have elite speed, but we run a great deal of zone and i get a young Rhonde Barber feel about him. Besides,..he could possibly even make the Transition to FS.

Have you ever seen Vontae Davis or Darius Butler...or Kevin Barnes play?

SteelCzar76
03-13-2009, 11:51 AM

Have you ever seen Vontae Davis or Darius Butler...or Kevin Barnes play?

Why yes i have,...and i give none of them a first round grade. Though Davis has the athleticism to warrant mid 1st consideration,...his technique is very poor and he has considerable character issues in terms of willingness to be coached.

MaxAMillion
03-13-2009, 12:40 PM
I like the idea of a corner in round 1. There is good value there. The Steelers can draft a center and a guard who have starting capabilities in rounds 2 and 3.

mshifko
03-13-2009, 03:23 PM

Jason David and Brandon Flowers.

And some of the best CBs in the NFL are only 5'10 (Asante Samuel).

The height isnt an issue...its whether his vertical jump will help him increase his on field "height" and the answer is questionable right now (34 inch vertical isn't really that great).

thank you :Clap

steelcityrules!!
03-14-2009, 12:09 AM
another DB who has mad skills and is a troll is mr. bobbie sanders.
that dude is short.

if alphonso can pick off the ball on a repeated basis, then he's already better than our corners right now.

sorry.
been asking for a premier corner for 3 years now and I'm a tad salty.

:moon

Oviedo
03-16-2009, 07:58 AM
CB is a need but not our priority. Stay focused on OL or DL early. Good CBs to play in LaBeau's scheme can be had in Round 3 or 4. Remember our defense does not require someone to be a mythical "shutdown CB."

Guys like Macho Harris, Keenan Lewis and other may better fit our defense and could be had in Rounds 2-4.