PDA

View Full Version : FWP chat transcript

stlrz d
03-11-2009, 06:45 PM
http://chat.nfl.com/front/index/156?refresh=0

Ask Willie Parker

Moderator 05:00 PM - 06:00 PM ET Willie Parker
Willie Parker of the Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers chatted live on Wednesday, March 11, talking about his Super Bowl experiences and his expectations for next season.

NFL.com
FWP is in the house everyone. He's just getting himself ready.
NFL.com
OK everyone, quick change of plans, which happens often in live internet. Willie was just pulled away, and will be back to start his live chat at 5:20 p.m. ET.

It looks like Steelers fans are representing today, so keep sending in your questions. We'll get to as many as we can, starting soon.
Willie Parker, Pittsburgh Steelers
Hey everyone. I'm back. Let's roll.
samuel e pugh, fairfield, alabama
05:28 PM ET
what made u get #39 and is that special to you?

Actually, it wasn't by choice. I came in as an undrafted free agent, and I didn't have much choice. They gave it to me, and I rolled with it. Now I'm trying to make it famous!
Linda Loritts, Conover, NC
05:29 PM ET
Did you keep this Super Bow ring this time?

Heck yeah! It was an easy decision.
Jason, Pittsburgh
05:29 PM ET
Which of your 2 Superbowl wins means more to you?

The second one. The first one I shared duties with Jerome Bettis. This one, I was in the backfield by myself, making my own decisions. The fact I got to contribute a little more, made it a lot more special.
Austin, inwood
05:31 PM ET
Who is your favorite steeler player of all time?

My favorite Steeler of all-time would be Jerome Bettis. I got to know him so well, and he became off the field. I knew him as a friend. He became like a coach on the field, and he helped my career prosper.
Sigling, Sweden
05:32 PM ET
Hi Willie! First congrats for the Sixth! I've heard something about you training with pitbulls as a kid, to gain speed. Is it true?

It wasn't really as a kid. Really, in my high school years, when I used to just try things to test my speed, I kind of knew I couldn't out-run an animal. But to try and race something on four legs, I thought that might be kind of cool. It was my brother's dog, and I knew he had real control of his dog. He stood on one end, about 100 yards away, and he had the dog run to him ... so I thought I'd race him.

It made my 40 time jump from like a 4.5 to about a 4.3. And I stayed that fast after that.
Jamie, England
05:35 PM ET
Have you ever wanted to race Chris Johnson to see who truly is the fastest?

The thing is, I'm going to wait until he gets a few hits under his belt. When he gets hit a few more times, then I'll race him. Right now, that boy is blazing. LOL.
Dude1981, Idaho
05:36 PM ET
Hey what's up Willie? Who in your opinion is individually the most intimidating guy to face on defense?

The most intimidating guy to face on any defense, is our entire defense -- the Pittsburgh Steelers (Troy Polamalu, for instance, LOL).
daniel, Chesapeake
05:37 PM ET
who is faster, you or polamalu?

I'm faster than Troy. But, the thing about it, is he has game speed. He has something that a lot of people don't have, and that's heart. He doesn't care how fast I am. If I was on offense, and he was on defense, he'll try to take my speed away by taking out my legs.
Mario T, New Kensington, PA
05:38 PM ET
I saw you throw out the first pitch at a Pirate game some time ago. Man, for how ripped your arms are you sure throw out some candy. Whats the deal?

LOL Mario. Now that was hilarious.

I practiced that pitch for about two weeks. Then, when it was time to shine, I got shook. I was scared. Baseball is not what I would do ... I almost threw my arm out on that pitch. I wasn't embarassed, though. I thought it was funny.
Evan Walker, Savannah, GA
05:40 PM ET
Who was the one football player that caused you to get chills down your spine when he got the ball or made a big hit, when you were just a teenage kid watchin the game on a sunday afternoon? -Evan

Hi Evan. Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith. I used to love watching those guys play, week in and week out, because I knew what they were going to bring to the table. They were going to give it their all.
bobbyg , pittsburgh
05:42 PM ET
are there any superstitions that you have before a game.

I have to get a good night's rest before the game, and go over the playbook, and read some Bible scriptures. That's pretty much it. That's my routine.
Denny Wranich Jr., Houston, Texas
05:43 PM ET
Can you ever see yourself playing for another team other then the Steelers? Or does it mean more to you playing for them because they are the team that gave you a chance.

It means so much to me that they're the team that gave me my chance. First and foremost, I want to be a Steeler for life because of that. When I was in college, UNC did me so wrong, but just the fact that it was my team growing up, I stuck it out and didn't want to play anywhere else. And that's how I feel about the Steelers. I don't want to play anywhere else.
Browns Backer, Brooklyn
05:45 PM ET
You have made the transition from a college unknown to an NFL star. Was the journey hard?

The thing about it, I wouldn't say it was hard, because I never gave up, and I always believed in myself. It was more easy than hard, because when I came to the Steelers, the players, the team chemistry, they were willing to teach me to become a professional. They made it easier.
Brendan, Ontario, Canada
05:47 PM ET
Hey Willie, Whats the highlight of your NFL career so far?

The highlight of my career was playing my first NFL game. I came out of the tunnel, and just seeing the lights and all those people. I just felt like I had arrived. That was def the hightlight of my career.
Bradley Ulisky, San Diego, Calif
05:48 PM ET
What is the biggest difference from Coach Cowher and Coach Tomlin?

Coach Cowher is more smash-mouth, beat a team down type coach. Coach Tomlin is more in favor of doing whatever is working at the time in order to win a game.
bryant, pennsylvania
05:50 PM ET
Hey Willie! I gotta say, I love watching you play. Even though I'm not that big of a Steelers fan. I just want to know what your goals or expectations are for yourself next year?

My goals next year, well, my main goal is to stay healthy. Everything after that, I know I can accomplish all my goals next season if I'm healthy. I have personal goals, but I like to keep those to myself. I def have to bounce back from this season, though.
Maeder, Seattle
05:53 PM ET
What was the atmosphere like in the huddle on the last drive of the Super Bowl? What was it like after they confirmed the TD?

The atmosphere was crazy. Not knowing what to expect, or who was going to make a play. And then, for Santonio to make that great catch, it was crazy. All we said, because we've been in that situation during the year, was just that "we believe." It was pretty intense.
Craig Hindes, Austin, TX
05:55 PM ET
Hey Willie, great job by you guys this season. Having already been a part of two Super Bowl champions, leading the league in rushing in '07 before going down against St Loius, and 3 extremely productive seasons before some injury trouble this year, yet people still seem to question your ability at times. Do you sense that, and if so how do you handle it, and does it drive you?

The thing about it is, the way I came in as an undrafted free agent, people will keep doubting me until I retire. I use that as my motivation, and to keep the fuel on my fire. That's what drives me to this day. People dont' think I'm one of the top running backs year in and year out. And that's what I'm trying to prove.
Rosa Lomeli, SO CAL
05:57 PM ET
Person you would want most next to you in a dark alley?

The person I would want next to me in a dark alley is Joey Porter. I know that if anything goes down, he has my back, no matter what. That was a crazy question Rosa!
Sergei, Israel
05:59 PM ET
Hi, Congratulations on the Superbowl thing! Lucky 7 next year? I would like to know, how are your injuries effecting your preparation for next season?

My body is almost fully healed right now. I'm taking some time off. But I'm going to get back at it in a couple months. I'm going to go really hard, so it's not going to affect anything.

Hey Steelers Nation, thanks for all the love and support, and for all the FWP fans out there, thank you for your support as well. I'll be back at it next season, FWP will be back in action and back healthy, so watch out!

FWP

Plenty of fluff but I liked the answer to the differences between Cowher and Tomlin, and the part about him being almost fully healed.

mshifko
03-11-2009, 07:55 PM
thanks for posting man...i'm a pretty big FWP supporter, i think he and mendy will compliment each other very well next year and i can see those two becoming the new two back system everyone talks about in the NFL