PDA

View Full Version : Alabama OT Andre Smith posts disappointing Pro Day numbers

RuthlessBurgher
03-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Bad news for him. This is why you don't skip workouts at the combine. If you put all of your eggs in the Pro Day basket, and have a sub-par day, then you are screwed.

I say we bring him in for an extensive interview and a personal workout on the South Side about a month from now. If he shows improvement then (evidence that he is still working out and is intent on improving), he could be a consideration. If not, he could be a guy who looked like a top 5 pick that could drop out of the first round altogether.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/11/early-signs-for-alabamas-smith-not-promising/

Alabama’s Smith does not post stellar numbers
Posted: Pro Days | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Alabama, Andre Smith

Andre Smith, one of the top offensive tackle prospects in this year’s draft, said he was relying on Alabama’s pro day to make up for the disappearing act he put on at the combine. Well, his times were not overly impressive, but he did at least work out.

Smith measured in at 6-foot-4 ¼, 325 pounds and ran the 40-yard dash in 5.28 and 5.33 seconds. He had a 25-inch vertical, a 7-foot, 10-inch broad jump, a 7.88-second three-cone drill and 19 bench press reps at 225 pounds. His short shuttle time is still to come as are the times from his Alabama teammates.

To put Smith’s workout in perspective, he did not post a single number that would have placed him in the top performers at his position at the combine and many of his numbers were not even close to the top 10 at his position at the combine.

Chachi
03-11-2009, 04:35 PM
[youtube:1wi6bvex]o8L9WSJi4hc[/youtube:1wi6bvex]

I wish youtube would get rid of labeling their videos......it takes the surprise out of viewing them.

steelernation77
03-11-2009, 04:41 PM
If Andre Smith falls even close to the Steelers pick, I think we have to get him. He's too talented to pass up.

Oviedo
03-11-2009, 05:06 PM
If Andre Smith falls even close to the Steelers pick, I think we have to get him. He's too talented to pass up.

He's "sandbagging" so he gets picked by a play off caliber team.

He'll get millions no matter what so why be miserable and play for someone like Detroit or Oakland?

I'm actually surprised more guys don't do this and then have great private workouts for teams.

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
03-11-2009, 06:29 PM
I wouldn't touch him, even at #32. He seems very feminine (gay). Don't think that would mesh well with the Steelers players (or me).

steelernation77
03-11-2009, 07:15 PM
I wouldn't touch him, even at #32. He seems very feminine (gay). Don't think that would mesh well with the Steelers players (or me). :HeadBanger

Discipline of Steel
03-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Count me as a no too. If 32 teams pass on him, I wouldnt reject the sum total of the NFL's ability to judge talent and potential. Especially when my sole source of information is predraft rankings of sports writers.

stlrz d
03-11-2009, 07:51 PM
He won't make it past the top 15.

Mick'sTeam
03-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Count me as a no too. If 32 teams pass on him, I wouldnt reject the sum total of the NFL's ability to judge talent and potential. Especially when my sole source of information is predraft rankings of sports writers.

So if the 31 teams in front of us pass on him you would too based on that fact alone? No offense but that seems like a weird stance to take. Why would we even pick in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th etc rounds? Those guys would have already been past by every other team not only once, but twice, three times...you get the picture.

Discipline of Steel
03-11-2009, 11:01 PM
[quote="Discipline of Steel":1y4tj27n]Count me as a no too. If 32 teams pass on him, I wouldnt reject the sum total of the NFL's ability to judge talent and potential. Especially when my sole source of information is predraft rankings of sports writers.

So if the 31 teams in front of us pass on him you would too based on that fact alone? No offense but that seems like a weird stance to take. Why would we even pick in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th etc rounds? Those guys would have already been past by every other team not only once, but twice, three times...you get the picture.[/quote:1y4tj27n]

More like I wouldnt be disappointed if the Steelers passed on him and picked someone without the red flags for our first round pick. Not likely to happen anyway...but who knows

Jom112
03-11-2009, 11:10 PM
Andre Smith over the past couple of months has just went from being the top OT prospect in the draft to the top Guard prospect in the draft.

As a Guard he won't be a top 10 pick, but he should still be a top 20 pick...

steelernation77
03-11-2009, 11:38 PM
Andre Smith: 6'4", 325, 5.28, 19 reps (36" arms)
Eugene Monroe: 6'5", 309, 5.16, 23 reps (33" arms)
Michael Oher: 6'4", 309, 5.32, 21 reps (33" arms)

Not that big a difference between him and these two top tackle prospects and Smith dominated the SEC. He will not get close enough for the Steelers to draft but if he did they'd be crazy not to take him.

SteelBucks
03-12-2009, 07:23 AM
I wouldn't touch him, even at #32. He seems very feminine (gay). Don't think that would mesh well with the Steelers players (or me). :HeadBanger

Don't believe the hype.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-12-2009, 08:57 AM
Watch the guy on film...He is a Top 10 pick! The workouts don't make or break the player as much as what he does on the field. If he makes it to #32, I would be surprised if the pick takes more than 2 minutes. The guy can play. You have to take him. I sure hope there ar 31 teams that pass on him...I'm one of the guys who will be holding the net!!!

RuthlessBurgher
03-12-2009, 10:04 AM
Oviedo thinks he's sandbagging. :?

SMF thinks he's teabagging. :shock:

I think these bags are to blame:

http://www.perezfox.com/images/mcd_bag.jpg http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_QiUw8NmmJVs/SQoXjANHmSI/AAAAAAAAFDE/eAywoRcZdpA/s400/kk+bag.jpg

WoodleyofTroy
03-12-2009, 10:38 AM
All these predictions about Offensive Linemen falling with the "can he play left tackle approach breakdown analysis", but at the end of the day when the actual draft takes place, they'll all be gone quick. This happens every year, every draft at this position.

With that said, more I hear about Smith, I don't want him. You know those guys you see in past drafts that were former first round picks that the team ended up releasing, and you want to take a chance on (Jimmy Kennedy, Michael Haynes, William Joseph, etc.)? Yeah, I see Andre Smith as one of those. Not exactly out of the league busts, but not what you want from your first round pick, essentially making it a bust.

ikestops85
03-12-2009, 11:03 AM
I have the feeling this guy is just lazy so I don't think I'd want him on the team. On second thought, we have a guy like that and he hasn't turned out so bad. Can you say 'Big Snack'?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-12-2009, 02:22 PM
Oviedo thinks he's sandbagging. :?

SMF thinks he's teabagging. :shock:

I think these bags are to blame:

http://www.perezfox.com/images/mcd_bag.jpg http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_QiUw8NmmJVs/SQoXjANHmSI/AAAAAAAAFDE/eAywoRcZdpA/s400/kk+bag.jpg

:lol: :lol: :Clap

Hillarious

Discipline of Steel
03-12-2009, 06:39 PM
I think hes douchebagging. Draft me a hard-azz motha flucker

SteelCzar76
03-12-2009, 07:05 PM
I'm in agreement with most here that this kid's work ethic (or lack there of) is suspect to say the least. But even with that said,....there's no way he's going to fall to the late first. There will be some team that forgoes logic and selects him because of his meaurables.(size)

WoodleyofTroy
03-12-2009, 07:12 PM
I'm in agreement with most here that this kid's work ethic (or lack there of) is suspect to say the least. But even with that said,....there's no way he's going to fall to the late first. There will be some team that forgoes logic and selects him because of his meaurables.(size)

Fortunately for Smith, those teams hold the 6th and 7th spot (Bengals, Raiders). :lol:

SteelCzar76
03-12-2009, 07:16 PM

Fortunately for Smith, those teams hold the 6th and 7th spot (Bengals, Raiders). :lol:

:lol:

NorthCoast
03-15-2009, 09:03 AM

uhh, that NFL talent judging waited for six rounds to draft some guy named Tom Brady. They also completely wiffed on some guy named James Harrison. Drafting is not a science and a good part is just plain luck whether the NFL wants you to believe it or not. And knowing where to put talent is probably even more important. The Steelers have been very decent at finding the right spot for the "tweeners".

Discipline of Steel
03-15-2009, 09:48 AM

uhh, that NFL talent judging waited for six rounds to draft some guy named Tom Brady. They also completely wiffed on some guy named James Harrison. Drafting is not a science and a good part is just plain luck whether the NFL wants you to believe it or not. And knowing where to put talent is probably even more important. The Steelers have been very decent at finding the right spot for the "tweeners".

On the other hand, you see evidence of the lack of prognostication abilities of the sports writers every draft when their top ten athletes 'plummet down the boards'. Im saying the NFL evaluators have the most information and the sports writers are just guessers.

It would be interesting to see a case where a player was predicted to be a top talent and the NFL didnt treat him as such...and then the player turns out to be a top talent. Perhaps Brady Quinn will vindicate the writers someday and the Browns will win the Super Bowl.

I know my opinion is controversial but its fun to play devils advocate for the sake of discussion. There is merit to both sides of the fence. That said, I would still take Mack over Smith with our 1st round pick.