View Full Version : R. Brace Awed by Steelers Great

NorthCoast
03-10-2009, 08:51 PM
Clipped only a piece of the article:

7 Points: Not Easily Intimidated

By Ed Thompson
Scout.com Senior NFL Analyst
Posted Mar 6, 2009

Defensive tackle Ron Brace didn't think it was possible for him to be awed by anyone he met at the NFL Scouting Combine. The Boston College defensive tackle had mentally prepared himself for the fact that he was going to be sitting face-to-face with NFL head coaches. And he was ready to project his confidence and football knowledge to them as they showed him film and grilled him with questions.

But during his formal interview with the Pittsburgh Steelers, one of 14 clubs he sat down with in Indianapolis, Brace was introduced to one person who threw him off balance for a moment—Hall-of-Fame defensive tackle Joe Green.

" I think that's probably the first time in my life I've ever gotten star-struck," Brace said during a recent phone interview. " My voice kind of cracked a little bit when I said 'hi' to him. I was just in awe. I was like, ' this is Mean Joe Greene's hand I'm shaking'. If it hadn't been a formal interview, I would've been dying to ask him for a picture. But that's kind of unprofessional."

Brace, who finished sixth in the bench press with 32 reps, plans to run the 20-yard shuttle and the 40-yard dash in addition to participating in position drills at his Pro Day on March 12. As he reflected on his Combine performance, he was particularly pleased with his performance during position drills.

"The one thing that I wanted to go down there and show them was that I’m not just a big slug," the 6-foot-3, 330-pound lineman said. " I have good feet. I think they could see that in our position drills because I’m

Link to full article: http://profootball.scout.com/2/844509.html

Oviedo
03-11-2009, 06:36 AM
I'll take Ron Brace at 1.32. NTs are becoming harder to get. Just seems like a Steeler to me.

frankthetank1
03-11-2009, 07:25 AM
im a bc fan so of course i love ron brace, but i think he would still be available in the 2nd round but who knows. he is very agile for his size and a great athelete. i think he would be a great 3-4 nt. it definetly helped brace lining up next to bj raji every game but it also helped raji out tremendously. i actually think brace is a little more athletic given his size

pfelix73
03-11-2009, 10:13 AM
That's just it. No body knows where he'd end up in the 2nd round, so I would consider him at 1.32.

The only other possibility would be to make a trade with their 2nd pick and move farther up into the 2nd round hoping he is still there.

I would be very happy with a new NT and a new CB in the first 2 rounds. Maybe Shipley would be there in round 3 for our C/G.

Oviedo
03-11-2009, 11:25 AM
That's just it. No body knows where he'd end up in the 2nd round, so I would consider him at 1.32.

The only other possibility would be to make a trade with their 2nd pick and move farther up into the 2nd round hoping he is still there.

I would be very happy with a new NT and a new CB in the first 2 rounds. Maybe Shipley would be there in round 3 for our C/G.

I totally agree with your 1.32 assessement. He will be gone in the top 10 picks of Round 2 because of the number of teams now using the 3-4 defense.

I'd actually like to get:

Rd1: Ron Brace, DT
Rd2: Kraig Urbik, OL
Rd3a: CB
Rd3b: WR or OL

pfelix73
03-11-2009, 11:32 AM
Not a bad idea. The more I think about the CB's, the more I think that maybe we can wait til the 3rd or 4th rounds to get one, considering they are saying it's a deep class for them this year.

Of course, it will depend on FA too. Maybe they sign Carr, filling 2 needs. I do like Butler out of Uconn, however. Getting Butler and Brace would be an A grade for the first 2 picks, IMO.

A replacement for Big Snack in the coming years (contract is up next year) is going to be a requirement at some point. And investing in a 1st round pick for such an important position is crucial. IMO.

Lebsteel
03-11-2009, 03:53 PM

I totally agree with your 1.32 assessement. He will be gone in the top 10 picks of Round 2 because of the number of teams now using the 3-4 defense.

I'd actually like to get:

Rd1: Ron Brace, DT
Rd2: Kraig Urbik, OL
Rd3a: CB
Rd3b: WR or OL

I'm warming to your thought of Brace, but I don't like the fact you have no center. What are your thoughts there? I also have read more about Urbik and he seems to have a lot of knee issues. I'd much rather see us take Eric Wood C/G or Antoine Caldwell C/G in that round. But here is what I am hoping for:

1. Mack, C/G
2. Gilbert DE
3. Sammie Hill, NT/DE
3a. Cornelius Lewis OT or Gerald Cadogan OT