PDA

View Full Version : Scratch the Possiblity of Bodden

BradshawsHairdresser
03-10-2009, 04:53 PM
Cheaters just got him...one year for only $750,000.

I wonder why the Steelers didn't make a play for him? At that kind of price, seems like
it would have been a no-brainer...

ANPSTEEL
03-10-2009, 05:01 PM
Cheaters just got him...one year for only $750,000.

I wonder why the Steelers didn't make a play for him? At that kind of price, seems like
it would have been a no-brainer...

if those numbers are accurate - wow -

i guess he wanted to play for the Pats***

stlrz d
03-10-2009, 05:02 PM
Do you even look at the free agent signing thread?

Oviedo
03-10-2009, 05:02 PM
I agree. If they don't get someone it means of of two things:

1. They are really impressed with Roy Lewis who they had on the Practice Squad.
2. They see a CB in the draft they are going after early

Then again they may just think Bodden wasn't that good.

steelblood
03-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Wow. That is quite a deal. Bodden went to Duquesne, right? We should have had him in for a visit. Oh Well.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Well, they have Carr (Titans) coming in...maybe they want him in Black and Gold.

RuthlessBurgher
03-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Well, they have Carr (Titans) coming in...maybe they want him in Black and Gold.

In addition to filling a role as a nickle/dime DB, Carr also is an accomplished kick and punt returner. He's not Devin Hester or Dante Hall in their primes or anything in terms big play returns for TD's, but he averaged over 10 yards per punt return and over 28 yards per kick return.

For comparison's sake, on our team last year, Mewelde Moore averaged 3.5 yards per punt return and over 18.5 yards per kick return. Santonio Holmes averaged 6.6 yards per punt return. Gary Russell averaged 23.2 yards per kick return.

Getting an extra 5 yards or so every time we field a kick or punt is a pretty big deal in the grand scheme of things. A signing like that would kill three birds with one stone. Then we can focus on the best available WR when we decide to draft one instead of narrowing our focus to WR's who are also quality return men.

Mister Pittsburgh
03-10-2009, 07:46 PM
Will we actually sign anyone prior to Harrison getting his deal so we know what we have to work with? We still have to extend Heath as well.

NorthCoast
03-10-2009, 07:47 PM

Ding, Ding, Ding.

I watched him plenty on the Stains. He was good about 5 yrs ago. Today?.....not so much. Again, just like Joey G. we do not need to reach for these guys. Wait for camp cuts, you can always pick up players of this caliber at that time.

RuthlessBurgher
03-10-2009, 08:23 PM
Will we actually sign anyone prior to Harrison getting his deal so we know what we have to work with? We still have to extend Heath as well.

I would think that they could make relatively minor deals before Harrison's extension gets worked out. I wouldn't worry too much about Miller right now. They could franchise Heath for a reasonable amount next year.

buckeyehoppy
03-10-2009, 10:37 PM

I would think that they could make relatively minor deals before Harrison's extension gets worked out. I wouldn't worry too much about Miller right now. They could franchise Heath for a reasonable amount next year.

That's how it needs to be, RB. They can't keep tagging Max forever, especially when the tag would make more sense being hung on Heath. James Hate from Kent State needs to be done ASAP. I don't know if the Steelers need to do much more than finding role players in the interim.

Bodden probably isn't good at all. Having said that, I think the Steelers are going to take a long look at Lewis. I think Roy Lewis is going to play in this league and I saw that every time he got a chance to show it last year. I saw it at camp. Roy Lewis making the Steelers final roster next year will mean that Colbert's halo with finding diamonds in the rough (that's his saving grace in his tenure...to plumb the UDFA market successfully) will still be in tact. That wouldn't bother me...or, I suspect, anyone else...a bit.

buckeyehoppy
03-10-2009, 10:49 PM

Ding, Ding, Ding.

I watched him plenty on the Stains. He was good about 5 yrs ago. Today?.....not so much. Again, just like Joey G. we do not need to reach for these guys. Wait for camp cuts, you can always pick up players of this caliber at that time.

Joey G. is probably being looked at for no other reason than depth. If he won't agree to a club-friendly deal, no harm, no foul and no Joey G.

Camp cuts aren't what they used to be. It's typically a roll of the dice to pick one up. At this juncture, I would bank on Colbert getting an UDFA who can successfully get on the final roster before a camp cut gets there.

SteelBucks
03-10-2009, 11:08 PM

Actually they may be able to put the Franchise Tag on both Harrison and Heath next year. There is talk that each team will be given two franchise tags if 2010 remains uncapped.

Mister Pittsburgh
03-10-2009, 11:37 PM
If they could somehow land CB Chris Carr from the Titans and Galloway from TB then I would be pretty stoked. Carr instantly upgrades our return game and acts as a backup CB or even nickel back, and Galloway instantly steps into the 3rd WR spot. Those two small additions could be huge down the road.

We get our return game going and Tomlin made our special teams special again in 2 full seasons as HC. Our kick and punt teams were good this year...beyond the punter...which Tomlin can't help that Sepulveda....the freaking punter.....tore his ACL.

BigBen2112
03-11-2009, 01:59 PM

In addition to filling a role as a nickle/dime DB, Carr also is an accomplished kick and punt returner. He's not Devin Hester or Dante Hall in their primes or anything in terms big play returns for TD's, but he averaged over 10 yards per punt return and over 28 yards per kick return.

For comparison's sake, on our team last year, Mewelde Moore averaged 3.5 yards per punt return and over 18.5 yards per kick return. Santonio Holmes averaged 6.6 yards per punt return. Gary Russell averaged 23.2 yards per kick return.

Getting an extra 5 yards or so every time we field a kick or punt is a pretty big deal in the grand scheme of things. A signing like that would kill three birds with one stone. Then we can focus on the best available WR when we decide to draft one instead of narrowing our focus to WR's who are also quality return men.

His career average at PR is only 7.1 yards...he's never had 1 return TD...but his KR ability is a little better at 24.7.

He's not an upgrade at PR really...but then again while we sucked last year at PR it had to do with us not being able to do what we did with Moore+Santonio in the post season during the regular season. For example, Moore's career PR average is 9.86 with 2 TDs.

He would help with the KR and nickel CB though...

RuthlessBurgher
03-12-2009, 12:13 PM

His career average at PR is only 7.1 yards...he's never had 1 return TD...but his KR ability is a little better at 24.7.

He's not an upgrade at PR really...but then again while we sucked last year at PR it had to do with us not being able to do what we did with Moore+Santonio in the post season during the regular season. For example, Moore's career PR average is 9.86 with 2 TDs.

He would help with the KR and nickel CB though...

Well, when our team was ranked 29th in kick-return average (20.3) and 31st in punt-return average (6.0) last season, bringing in a guy who averaged 28.1 yards per kick return and 10.1 yards per punt return last season is a significant upgrade. And he doesn't just swallow up a roster spot as a returner only like Rossum did, because we would also be a CB in nickel and/or dime defenses. Sounds like the kind of signing that the Steelers would make to me.