PDA

View Full Version : Davis signs Steeler tender

fordfixer
03-09-2009, 09:42 PM
Davis signs Steeler tender
March 7, 9:26 PM
Matt Pawlikowski
Pittsburgh Sports Examiner

http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsbur ... y2009m3d7- (http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m3d7-)
Breaking-News-Davis-signs-Steeler-tender

PITTSBURGH - Sources have informed the Examiner that Carey Davis, has signed his one year tender to remain the with the Steelers.

Davis originally signed with the Pittsburgh Steelers on January 3, 2007, and beat out incumbent Dan Kreider for the starting spot on opening day. Last year, he had 12 rushes for 35 yards and caught five passes for 27 yards.

It is reported that Davis signed a one year exclusive rights free agent contract valued at $460,000.00. Davis

RuthlessBurgher
03-09-2009, 09:44 PM
HOORAY!!!

Now that Carey Davis is officially back for another season, Super Bowl XLIV is in the bag for sure!!! :lol:

fordfixer
03-09-2009, 09:57 PM
HOORAY!!!

Now that Carey Davis is officially back for another season, Super Bowl XLIV is in the bag for sure!!! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

MBposter
03-09-2009, 10:57 PM
Good signing. After all, we won a Superbowl with Carey Davis.

costanza2k1
03-09-2009, 11:04 PM

Would've been better if you'd have logged in as CareyDavis this time to make that comment...

Thank you, come again.

Discipline of Steel
03-10-2009, 12:10 AM
Doesnt guarantee he makes the final roster. Verron Haynes anyone?

plainnasty
03-10-2009, 12:24 AM
Yeah but we also won the SuperBowl with Mitch Berger.

SteelTorch
03-10-2009, 01:16 AM
We won an SB with our current waterboy staff, too. Doesn't mean they had anything to do with it...

frankthetank1
03-10-2009, 08:15 AM
i just dont understand some of the moves the fo office makes some times. kinda hard to complain a whole lot with the success they have but still. colon and now davis?

RuthlessBurgher
03-10-2009, 10:07 AM
We won an SB with our current waterboy staff, too. Doesn't mean they had anything to do with it...

The Steelers are undefeated when I attend the Super Bowl, winning Super Bowl XL and XLIII with me in the stands. That's one more Super Bowl than Carey Davis. Since the theme is "continuity," I'm going to hire Drew Rosenhaus as my agent to make sure that the team brings me along to every Super Bowl they play in from now on. I think I might hold out for field access passes, though. :wink:

Jooser
03-10-2009, 10:15 AM
Frack!

http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj418/Jedi_Ivory/Star%20Wars%20Gifs/Obiwan-Anakin-Yoda/hangerbattle.gif

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-10-2009, 12:31 PM
i just dont understand some of the moves the fo office makes some times. kinda hard to complain a whole lot with the success they have but still. colon and now davis?

Don't get too worked up about this move, it is very non-commital. The tender is for $460K. That is nothing in terms of salary cap space. It just gets him invited to camp, it in no way means that he will make the team without earning it. He can be easily cut.

MeetJoeGreene
03-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Is the 460K guaranteed like a franchise tag that has been signed? Or does he actually have to be on the roster at the start of the regular seaon?

Hopefully the latter...

feltdizz
03-10-2009, 01:25 PM

Don't get too worked up about this move, it is very non-commital. The tender is for $460K. That is nothing in terms of salary cap space. It just gets him invited to camp, it in no way means that he will make the team without earning it. He can be easily cut.

I don't mind the signing.. McHugh is our blocking FB now and Carey Davis was good on special teams. I remember him making some solid tackles when I had the "oh shi## ST butterflies..."

pfelix73
03-10-2009, 02:53 PM
You actually mean he beat out someone with these stats?

"he had 12 rushes for 35 yards and caught five passes for 27 yards."

Ouch!

:tt1

ramblinjim
03-10-2009, 03:03 PM
he played well on ST through right? This could have been one of those things where they sign him just in case Fox doesn't come back.

Ruthless: Do we all need to take up a fund for your SB XLIV tickets now in case the Steelers go so that we know we'll win?

RuthlessBurgher
03-10-2009, 03:35 PM
he played well on ST through right? This could have been one of those things where they sign him just in case Fox doesn't come back.

Ruthless: Do we all need to take up a fund for your SB XLIV tickets now in case the Steelers go so that we know we'll win?

Well, during the '05 and '08 seasons, I won the season ticket holder Super Bowl ticket lottery, which allowed me to purchase tickets for face value from the team ($600 for XL and $800 for XLIII, which incidentally was more than I paid for a full season...8 regular season and 2 preseason games...at Heinz). If it happens that way again, I should be able to pull it off (even in this sucky economy and in spite of my wife's protests). If I don't win the season ticket holder Super Bowl ticket lottery and have to go looking on eBay or StubHub or whatever...then things might get a bit hairy.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Is the 460K guaranteed like a franchise tag that has been signed? Or does he actually have to be on the roster at the start of the regular seaon?

Hopefully the latter...

$460K does not mean that it has to go against the cap whether he gets paid the money or not. When it comes to the salary cap, only the top 52 (I believe) numbers are counted towards the cap. So, even if he does not make it then not all of his money counts against us. I believe that even worst case scenario is he is replaced by some rookie 7th rounder whose salary is around $350K. In that case, Davis would only count an extra $110K against the cap - the difference between the two numbers.

I'm not sure 100%, but I think this is how it would work.