PDA

View Full Version : a little help from my non-pittsburgh living steeler fans

proudpittsburgher
03-09-2009, 08:28 PM
I just broke the strings to directv, dropping sunday ticket for the first time in six years. High price to pay, but I got a heck of a deal on Verizon that I couldn't pass up. anyway, does anyone know of any other way for those not livign in the area to watch the games, outside of going to a bar? I've heard that there are live streams which aren't necessarily reliable on a weekly basis, and I only did this knowing that we are going to be a nationally-televised game because of our super bowl winning status, but I wanted to plan ahead. So any help would be appreciated.

steelsun7
03-09-2009, 08:32 PM
I just broke the strings to directv, dropping sunday ticket for the first time in six years. High price to pay, but I got a heck of a deal on Verizon that I couldn't pass up. anyway, does anyone know of any other way for those not livign in the area to watch the games, outside of going to a bar? I've heard that there are live streams which aren't necessarily reliable on a weekly basis, and I only did this knowing that we are going to be a nationally-televised game because of our super bowl winning status, but I wanted to plan ahead. So any help would be appreciated.

watched quite a few on justintv last year

Chavezz
03-09-2009, 08:38 PM
I was going to say Justin.tv too, it's not the greatest at times but it's usually how I watch the Penguin games when I have time.

Or if the Steeler game is over or not on and there's another game that's better that the National game I'll use it.

fordfixer
03-09-2009, 08:42 PM
i got rid of direct t.v. sunday ticket also last year. I will be getting it back this year

costanza2k1
03-09-2009, 10:54 PM
You can always buy the NFL Rewind per game for $5 or for the whole season for $20. I bought it for $20 and absolutely love it. It's keeping me sane right now as I can watch all the games whenever I want. It's also HD quality. They usually have the game up a few hours after the game is over or the next day at the latest.

http://www.nfl.com/gamerewind

Funny that it's sponsored by Verizon which is what you switched to.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content//public/image/game-rewind/swf-placeholder-verizon.jpg

Acero
03-10-2009, 01:54 AM
Move to Mexico City.

The ONLY game (out of the 19) that I missed last season was the opener vs. the Texans. Every other single game was on basic cable or Mexican broadcast networks.

Crazy. We Mexicans loves us some Steelers.

proudpittsburgher
03-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Yea, I'm kinda ticked that I didn't do this last year, because all but four Steelers games were the local game in Indiana. I'm really banking on getting at least half of that next season with the Super Bowl win, although the games don't look as nationally appealing as they did last season. I could always hang out at any number of Steeler bars in this area, but I really liked watching frmo my couch (call me an introvert that way). I knew about Justin.tv, but only used it for the preseason game against the Bills.

Ozey74
03-10-2009, 09:47 AM
JustinTV.com came in really handy last year. The game that was on before the Steelers/Ravens late season game ran over. JustinTv.oom allowed me to not miss the start of the game..

Oviedo
03-10-2009, 10:02 AM
Sorry I can't help you. I use to be a Sunday bar rat watching every game. Then got DirectTV. Now I think I would give up food before DirectTV.

RuthlessBurgher
03-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Sorry I can't help you. I use to be a Sunday bar rat watching every game. Then got DirectTV. Now I think I would give up food before DirectTV.

Food is overrated. You absolutely cannot miss a Steeler game!

Ozey74
03-10-2009, 11:02 AM

I had DirectTV once. Unfortunately for me, every time the wind blew more than 10 MPH, I would $hitty recetption. One time the wind blew the satallite off track & DirectTV was going to charge me $100 to come realign their product. That was the end of DirectTV for me.

I wish my local cable provider would pick up the NFL package. That would save me lots of cash over the course of a season!!

phillyesq
03-10-2009, 11:18 AM
Last year in Philadelphia, we got every single game. Not only was it great for me, it annoyed my friends who were eagles fans.

What is justintv, for those of us that don't know?

SteelBucks
03-10-2009, 11:30 AM

I agree. There's nothing like sitting down on Sunday and having every game at your disposal. I've had the Ticket since '98 and I don't know if I could survive without it!

calmkiller
03-10-2009, 11:35 AM

I had DirectTV once. Unfortunately for me, every time the wind blew more than 10 MPH, I would $hitty recetption. One time the wind blew the satallite off track & DirectTV was going to charge me $100 to come realign their product. That was the end of DirectTV for me.

I wish my local cable provider would pick up the NFL package. That would save me lots of cash over the course of a season!!

Did you install it yourself? Do you not know how to tighten a bolt? Had direct TV for 14 years and never had a complaint. We have had 60 mile per hour winds here and not lost signal.

Ozey74
03-10-2009, 12:05 PM

Did you install it yourself? Do you not know how to tighten a bolt? Had direct TV for 14 years and never had a complaint. We have had 60 mile per hour winds here and not lost signal.

They did it.

RuthlessBurgher
03-10-2009, 12:12 PM

Same thing happened to me. If the weather was anything less than perfect, the HD quality turned worse than I could get on an old TV with rabbit ears. Must have had a half dozen of their technicians to the house at different to try to fix it. Each time it would work okay for about a week after they left before crapping out again, so I cancelled DirecTV as well. Luckily, where I live in NEPA, all Steeler games are carried by our local stations, so the NFL package was not a major issue (plus, since I am in Pittsburgh whenever we have a home game, I wouldn't be home using the Sunday Ticket to watch the other games later that day half the time, so it wasn't really worth it to me anyway).

Oviedo
03-10-2009, 12:51 PM

I agree. I'm in the lightning capital of the entire world in Central Florida and even during hurricanes I have probably only lost my signal a dozen times in 3 years.

proudpittsburgher
03-10-2009, 01:40 PM

I agree. I'm in the lightning capital of the entire world in Central Florida and even during hurricanes I have probably only lost my signal a dozen times in 3 years.

Yea, as the guy who started this thread saying I'm cancelling, I have hardly ever had problems with my service, and never understand how some lose their signal during windy times. Never lost my signal unless it was a heck of a storm. Rain and wind, and even heavy snow, have never done it for me.

Jigawatts
03-10-2009, 01:47 PM
proudpittsburgher, did you ever look into getting a slingbox?

http://www.slingmedia.com/

pfelix73
03-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Knock on wood here, but I've had Directv since the early days and I have no problems with the dish- only time was a severe lightning storm in summer or a real heavy wet snowflake from a snow storm. Mine is tightened enough so that the wind isn't an issue.

I couldn't do without it. Cable suks.

proudpittsburgher
03-11-2009, 06:55 AM

OK Jiga, I'm a bit slow sometimes, especially in the morning, but I don't see how this helps me, unless I find someone who has sunday ticket to work with me and take his/her signal for my house, correct?

frankthetank1
03-11-2009, 08:04 AM

im the same way use to go to a bar every sunday and got the ticket 3 seasons ago. i would go without food and maybe sex before the ticket. of course last season had so many national televised games but that is kind of rare

RuthlessBurgher
03-11-2009, 09:33 AM

im the same way use to go to a bar every sunday and got the ticket 3 seasons ago. i would go without food and maybe sex before the ticket. of course last season had so many national televised games but that is kind of rare

Combine all 3...sex, food, and TV, for the ultimate experience like Costanza (George, not 2k1)

frankthetank1
03-11-2009, 10:19 AM

Combine all 3...sex, food, and TV, for the ultimate experience like Costanza (George, not 2k1)

i find pastrami the most sensual of all the cured meats :lol:

Jigawatts
03-11-2009, 12:21 PM

OK Jiga, I'm a bit slow sometimes, especially in the morning, but I don't see how this helps me, unless I find someone who has sunday ticket to work with me and take his/her signal for my house, correct?

Yep, if you have friends or family in Pittsburgh that would be willing to hook it up to their
cable or satellite box (no Sunday Ticket required), this could be a solution.

proudpittsburgher
03-11-2009, 03:25 PM

Yep, if you have friends or family in Pittsburgh that would be willing to hook it up to their
cable or satellite box (no Sunday Ticket required), this could be a solution.

See, I really am pretty dense in the morning. :) Not a bad solution. OK, so where do you live? :0 Just kidding, Mom doesn't watch football, but I bet I could talk her into putting the game on on Sunday. Thanks a bunch!

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
03-11-2009, 05:52 PM

Amen, eleven years and counting I willnever go back. DirectTV just renegotiated exclusive rights to the games again so there really is no other option other than hoping the game is streamed or going to a bar. Watching a rewind of the game is out of the question IMO. It's what 300 bones now + 100 for HD broadcasts. THink about how much money you will save on well drinks if you make em at home, that alone justifies the cost for me....

:tt1

stlrz d
03-11-2009, 06:14 PM

I would have suggested doing what I do since you already have the dish installed. Find someone else who has DTV and split it with them. They get a receiver for their "rec room" (that's code for your living room) and you hook it up to your set at your house...just don't plug it into a phone line. DTV has no idea where that box is. Then you pay your buddy half. If you can find someone who gets Sunday Ticket every year (or talk them into it) then you split that too.

My share of the DTV bill is only $45/month and we have every HBO and Showtime channel, along with some other movie channels. Of course it's higher for 3 months when Sunday Ticket is on there, but for the rest of the year $45/month for all those channels is a deal, imo.

Jigawatts
03-12-2009, 01:23 PM

I would have suggested doing what I do since you already have the dish installed. Find someone else who has DTV and split it with them. They get a receiver for their "rec room" (that's code for your living room) and you hook it up to your set at your house...just don't plug it into a phone line. DTV has no idea where that box is. Then you pay your buddy half. If you can find someone who gets Sunday Ticket every year (or talk them into it) then you split that too.

My share of the DTV bill is only $45/month and we have every HBO and Showtime channel, along with some other movie channels. Of course it's higher for 3 months when Sunday Ticket is on there, but for the rest of the year $45/month for all those channels is a deal, imo.

Or another option could be to cancel your Direct TV, have your mom in Pittsburgh
order Direct TV with locals, have it installed in order to set up to receivers, then
have her send you the receivers and use them with your existing rooftop dish.

The receiver will be set up for Pittsburgh locals and you can watch the games on
KDKA and WPHG and not worry about the Sunday Ticket.

stlrz d
03-12-2009, 07:42 PM

Or another option could be to cancel your Direct TV, have your mom in Pittsburgh
order Direct TV with locals, have it installed in order to set up to receivers, then
have her send you the receivers and use them with your existing rooftop dish.

The receiver will be set up for Pittsburgh locals and you can watch the games on
KDKA and WPHG and not worry about the Sunday Ticket.

Good idea!

Anyone interested in doing that for a fan in WI? :D :D :D