PDA

View Full Version : Joey Galloway Visits

calmkiller
03-09-2009, 11:14 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09068/954275-100.stm

Receiver Joey Galloway visiting Steelers
Monday, March 09, 2009
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Former Tampa Bay Buccaneers wide receiver Joey Galloway is visiting with the Steelers today as the team begins its search for replacements for departed free agents.

Galloway, 37, who appeared in only nine games last season because of injuries, was brought in as a possible replacement for No. 3 receiver Nate Washington, who signed last week with the Tennessee Titans.

A No. 1 draft choice of the Seattle Seahawks in 1995, Galloway played five seasons in Tampa Bay, two while Mike Tomlin was the Buccaneers' secondary coach. Galloway has had six 1,000-yard receiving seasons during his 14-year NFL career, including three in a row from 2005 to 2007 with the Buccaneers.

However, he was limited to 13 catches, 138 yards and no touchdowns in nine games last season because of injuries. Galloway was released as part of a salary-cap purge several weeks ago and has also visited with the Buffalo Bills and New England Patriots.
More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

First published on March 9, 2009 at 10:37 am

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-09-2009, 11:22 AM
WR is looking like a position which requires serious depth at this point. An extra vet will come in handy, but we don't need another injury question.

An interesting thought which does help make this a more prefered signing - Galloway was cut by TB, he is not a FA due to an expiring contract. Next year when they figure out compensatory picks, I don't think that this would count against us because I know that it would not entitle the Bucs to any compensation. As of now we have two FAs signed away to decent contracts - BMac, Nate - with possibly a small signing by Marvel to come. If we don't do much else then we could once again be on the plus side of a bonus pick.

phillyesq
03-09-2009, 11:35 AM
If he has anything left, Galloway could be interesting. I'd prefer a possession receiver type who could also return punts and kicks, but Sweed, Galloway, Ward and Holmes does have the potential to be a very effective 4 WR set.

The age and injury issues were Galloway are concerning, but I also like the idea of him serving as a mentor to Sweed.

T.O., great point about Galloway not counting in the comp pick formulation. I'm disappointed that BMac didn't get the $8 million deal his agent thought he would, but I think rate now Nate should bring back a 4th or 5th, with McFadden probably bringing back a 5th or 6th.

stlrz d
03-09-2009, 11:56 AM
This is a very smart move. If they sign him that is. Ward and Holmes have their share of injuries so it would be good to have an insurance policy.

costanza2k1
03-09-2009, 12:01 PM
It's always a good idea to bring in competition for a young guy instead of just handing him the keys...

RuthlessBurgher
03-09-2009, 12:20 PM
This would be a Courtney Hawkins type of signing. With needs along both lines and at CB in the draft, a signing like this could drop WR down to a mid-to-late round consideration (a young WR who could also return kicks) instead of having to use one of our top 4-5 picks on a wideout.

SteelBucks
03-09-2009, 01:25 PM
Although he's older and his best days are behind him, I'll always encourage signing another former Buckeye wideout! :Beer

steelernation77
03-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Remember when we signed Terrence Mathis for a season and he gave us a solid vet presence?

This kind of reminds me of that.

ramblinjim
03-09-2009, 01:53 PM
I was watching NFLN the other day and one of the guys said he saw Joey G running a route last year and that he still had amazing speed. I guess we'll see if he gets an offer from us.

:tt2

costanza2k1
03-09-2009, 02:23 PM
Dale Lolly's thoughts:
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com ... sense.html (http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2009/03/adding-galloway-would-make-sense.html)

Monday, March 09, 2009
Adding Galloway would make sense
When wide receiver Joey Galloway was released a couple of weeks ago by the Tampa Bay Bucs, I have to admit, I didn't see how the Steelers could be interested in a 37-year-old receiver who played in just nine games last season.

But with the Steelers bringing him in for a visit Monday, I began thinking about why they would be interested and it started to make sense.

First, Galloway won't be looking for any kind of long-term deal or big money. Those days are long past him.

The Bellaire, Ohio, native, would also get a chance to come back to his hometown area - it's located just across the Ohio River from Wheeling, W. Va. to finish off what has been a solid career while keeping the Steelers from relying solely on Limas Sweed as their No. 3.

Then there is the facat that as a former Ohio State star, he carries instant credibility with Santonio Holmes and could help further Holmes' maturation into a No. 1 receiver.

And finally, he also wouldn't challenge Hines Ward's "leader of the wideouts" role that he has given himself. The leader as he is affectionately called by the media likes to run the show with the receivers. Galloway won't challenge that.

In retrospect, after thinking about all of those things, this is a visit I should have seen coming.

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
03-09-2009, 02:33 PM
I like Galloway, I didn't know he was so old thought : 37 --I thought he was 35. I do love the idea of bringing in a proven WR, I originally mentioned Toomer.

feltdizz
03-09-2009, 02:34 PM
this makes sense... I think Tomlin is tired of watching these young guys do everything but catch the damn ball..

Tomlin is familiar with Gollaway from his Tampa days I think...

Jooser
03-09-2009, 02:42 PM
My thoughts are that we will sign him... :2c

True Fan
03-09-2009, 03:18 PM
this makes sense... I think Tomlin is tired of watching these young guys do everything but catch the damn ball..

just like mahan?
there has got to be a better FA wr choice than this washed up clown.

feltdizz
03-09-2009, 03:30 PM

just like mahan?

please name them.. and be reasonable... we are not spending money on a FA #3/4 WR..

RuthlessBurgher
03-09-2009, 03:40 PM

just like mahan?

There are numerous WR's you can refer to as a "clown" (the prime example just signed a $6.5 million deal in Buffalo) but I can't recall Galloway displaying a prima donna attitude that would deserve a "clown" label.

And as for being washed up, Galloway is certainly old, but he has amazingly not lost his speed (very Darrell Green like in this respect). He could still be the type of deep threat that Nate was if we sign him to a reasonable one or two (max) year deal. Prior to his injury plagued 2008 season, the previous 3 seasons were:

2007 57 catches for 1,014 yards (17.8 yards per catch) and 6 TD's

2006 62 catches for 1,057 yards (17.0 yards per catch) and 7 TD's

2005 83 catches for 1,287 yards (15.5 yards per catch) and 10 TD's

We aren't asking him to be a #1 WR. As a #3, he could give Sweed another year to develop before he is needed in that role, he could mentor fellow Buckeye Holmes in the intricacies of being an effective NFL deep threat, and eliminates the need to take a WR early in the draft, freeing the team up to take linemen on both sides of the ball and a CB early.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-09-2009, 03:42 PM
If the Steelers are going to go this route...I would rather have Porter or Colbert as a vet. I don't know how much Galloway really has left. Porter or Colbert could be the emergency #3 just in case Sweed isn't ready. If they would sign for max 1.5 maybe a 2 year deal...I wouldn't mind. Signing a skill position player in his late 30's to play in Pittsburgh in December kinda scares me!!!

SteelBucks
03-09-2009, 03:47 PM

just like mahan?

Ummmm. Check the FA list and tell me who's better.....it's slim pickings out there. We're not looking for a #1 or #2 wideout. We're looking for a #3/#4 to take the pressure off of Sweed.

And comparing him to Mahan?????????

MeetJoeGreene
03-09-2009, 03:51 PM
I am not opposed to this, per se, but I really hope our team doctors do a good job of due diligence regarding health check.

If he can last a whole year, playing a 3 or 4 role and still has speed, he could be a very valuable addition.

RuthlessBurgher
03-09-2009, 03:55 PM
If the Steelers are going to go this route...I would rather have Porter or Colbert as a vet. I don't know how much Galloway really has left. Porter or Colbert could be the emergency #3 just in case Sweed isn't ready. If they would sign for max 1.5 maybe a 2 year deal...I wouldn't mind. Signing a skill position player in his late 30's to play in Pittsburgh in December kinda scares me!!!

Jerry Porter was a head case in Oakland (and didn't do anything in Jacksonville this past season). If you are considering former Raider WR's, I prefer Ron Curry to Porter.

Keary Colbert just plain sucks. After being let go by the Panthers, he played for the Broncos, Seahawks, and Lions last season. You would think that if he was any good, he would not have been on 3 teams in one season. I realize that since he finished in Detoit, he is always a consideration for the other Colbert (Kevin) to consider, but we want to look at former Lion WR's, I think Shaun McDonald and Mike Furrey are better options than Colbert.

feltdizz
03-09-2009, 03:55 PM

just like mahan?

There are numerous WR's you can refer to as a "clown" (the prime example just signed a $6.5 million deal in Buffalo) but I can't recall Galloway displaying a prima donna attitude that would deserve a "clown" label.

And as for being washed up, Galloway is certainly old, but he has amazingly not lost his speed (very Darrell Green like in this respect). He could still be the type of deep threat that Nate was if we sign him to a reasonable one or two (max) year deal. Prior to his injury plagued 2008 season, the previous 3 seasons were:

2007 57 catches for 1,014 yards (17.8 yards per catch) and 6 TD's

2006 62 catches for 1,057 yards (17.0 yards per catch) and 7 TD's

2005 83 catches for 1,287 yards (15.5 yards per catch) and 10 TD's

We aren't asking him to be a #1 WR. As a #3, he could give Sweed another year to develop before he is needed in that role, he could mentor fellow Buckeye Holmes in the intricacies of being an effective NFL deep threat, and eliminates the need to take a WR early in the draft, freeing the team up to take linemen on both sides of the ball and a CB early.

clown? what has he done to be a clown? LOL!!!! I have no problem with Galloway.. I'm tired of hearing "I hope Sweed can catch this year" get a vet to give us some sure hands on 3rd and 5 until Sweed proves he can do it consistently.

I know Sweed has all the tools but those drops were the kind of drops that make you second guess a WR in the offseason.

WoodleyofTroy
03-09-2009, 04:17 PM
At the least, Galloway would definitely be quite the decoy out there on the field.

mshifko
03-09-2009, 04:26 PM
he pretty much didn't play a whole lot last year, i have heard that he said he's a fresh as ever (for a 37 year old at least) so that's a good sign...i'm not opposed to this deal at all though because galloway is a smart veteran WR who can still get separation IMO...

Snatch98
03-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Sign me up. Savvy veteran that isn't going to cost us a lot to sign. Hopefully Tomlin has enough pull to bring him in over the pass heavy Patriots. As others have said we don't need him to be a 1 or a 2 we just need him to be a capable number 3 and I have zero doubt he can do just that....he still has his wheels, runs good routes and has the veteran leadership at the position we could use along side Hines. Sign him up. We could use the extra freedom in the draft as well.

Flasteel
03-09-2009, 04:51 PM

C'mon Nasty. Porter? Colbert??

Galloway may have a gray beard, but the guy was running the 40 in UNDER 4.3 seconds just two years ago. He fell into Gruden's dog house only due to injury (as does any player who gets injured on Gruden's roster). He has solid character and blazing speed...I'll take him.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-09-2009, 05:36 PM

C'mon Nasty. Porter? Colbert??

Galloway may have a gray beard, but the guy was running the 40 in UNDER 4.3 seconds just two years ago. He fell into Gruden's dog house only due to injury (as does any player who gets injured on Gruden's roster). He has solid character and blazing speed...I'll take him.

In 3 wide I'm moving Ward inside. I'm not looking for anyone under 6' to be the possible #3. On top of that, I'm looking for a big target. Come December at Heinz field, a 37 year old who runs a 4.3 will not be a factor. If it wasn't for his health last year I might be more in favor of it. When you hit the age drop off at a skill position...It hits fast! Not to mention the injuries start to pile up. I would welcome Galloway but he wouldn't be my 1st choice. As far as Porter...Randy Moss's career was almost over playing for the Raiders. He didn't put on a cape to to make his comeback! He got a QB and a no-nonsense coach. The Jags offense was in shambles in 2008 so I'm not putting too much weight in Porter's year last year. Colbert had a strong rookie year and hit the wall. Can't catch on anywhere since. I think both of them could use a new start. Galloway is 7-11 years older than both of them and I just don't like the fact he couldn't stay on the field last year. Now, the biggest driving force...I think both come at vet min. If Galloway wants to play for that...He would be considered. After loosing Washington...My first choice would have been Williams before his arrest. There is no chance now for him.

steeler_george
03-09-2009, 06:05 PM
We need depth and competition for the 3rd WR. Think about it is only one player away from starting. Regardless, if we sign him we still will have to draft a WR, but what round?

If we sign him to a friendly contract, no problem.

Is it possible to sign him, and if he doesn't pan out cut him with out a big Cap hit? Or depends on his contract?

ghettoscott
03-09-2009, 06:11 PM
what about Marvin Harrison? is he asking for too much $$?

ANPSTEEL
03-09-2009, 06:36 PM

Jerry Porter was a head case in Oakland (and didn't do anything in Jacksonville this past season). If you are considering former Raider WR's, I prefer Ron Curry to Porter.

Keary Colbert just plain sucks. After being let go by the Panthers, he played for the Broncos, Seahawks, and Lions last season. You would think that if he was any good, he would not have been on 3 teams in one season. I realize that since he finished in Detoit, he is always a consideration for the other Colbert (Kevin) to consider, but we want to look at former Lion WR's, I think Shaun McDonald and Mike Furrey are better options than Colbert.

plus, neither Porter or Colbert have ever had even close to the ability and speed of Galloway.

IMO, he is absolutely worth an incentivized vet. minimum contract.

If he can stay healthy, he is head and shoulders above either of those rejects.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-09-2009, 07:25 PM

plus, neither Porter or Colbert have ever had even close to the ability and speed of Galloway.

I don't think I was discounting what Galloway did in the past. Never said either of them had more speed or abilty than Galloway at some point in their careers. You said it best...If he can stay healthy. He couldn't stay healthy last year. I'll take a 30 year old Galloway over both in their prime! But when I'm looking for a vet WR to handle a #3 or #4....I'm not looking for a 37 year old "might not be" to come to a cold climate when he saw more time in the whirlpool than he did on the practice field. Yes he had a 1000 yards 2 years ago...But at 37...That's a LONG time ago. If he wants to sign for vet min...bring him to camp. But I think the upside to a vet signing is higher with a guy like Porter or Colbert because it is more likely for these two to make 16 games. If we sign the guy I hope he plays 16 games and gives us 50 catches. I just don't think he makes it 8 games. Just my opinion...

RuthlessBurgher
03-09-2009, 08:04 PM

My guess is he either retires or returns to his hometown of Philly, where he could be one of Donovan McNabb's desired "weapons"...and will be available to use some of his own "weapons" to shoot people more often at Chuckie's Garage.

How does Plaxico stupidly shooting himself with his own gun get more play in the media than someone else being shot by a gun owned by Marvin Harrison right outside of a business owned by Marvin Harrison? Double standard?

Chavezz
03-09-2009, 08:22 PM

My guess is he either retires or returns to his hometown of Philly, where he could be one of Donovan McNabb's desired "weapons"...and will be available to use some of his own "weapons" to shoot people more often at Chuckie's Garage.

How does Plaxico stupidly shooting himself with his own gun get more play in the media than someone else being shot by a gun owned by Marvin Harrison right outside of a business owned by Marvin Harrison? Double standard?

Typical media racial profiling. Are you suprised?

RuthlessBurgher
03-09-2009, 08:27 PM

Typical media racial profiling. Are you suprised?

Wait...did Marvin Harrison pull a Michael Jackson and turn white when I wasn't paying attention? :lol:

Chavezz
03-09-2009, 08:30 PM
:wink:

NorCal-Steeler
03-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Tampa has had a flood of qb's over the last cpl years and he has still managed to put up 1,000 yrds per season and not one of those qb's were as good as Ben.
Tampa doesnt get the media coverage that good market teams get but whenever i saw Tampa highlights if they wernt Barber they were Galloway. I'd sign him in a heart beat but then again i was very upset to see Nate go, so what do i know about talent... :lol:

ANPSTEEL
03-09-2009, 10:29 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":1ypw9qyy]If the Steelers are going to go this route...I would rather have Porter or Colbert as a vet. I don't know how much Galloway really has left. Porter or Colbert could be the emergency #3 just in case Sweed isn't ready. If they would sign for max 1.5 maybe a 2 year deal...I wouldn't mind. Signing a skill position player in his late 30's to play in Pittsburgh in December kinda scares me!!!

I don't think I was discounting what Galloway did in the past. Never said either of them had more speed or abilty than Galloway at some point in their careers. You said it best...If he can stay healthy. He couldn't stay healthy last year. I'll take a 30 year old Galloway over both in their prime! But when I'm looking for a vet WR to handle a #3 or #4....I'm not looking for a 37 year old "might not be" to come to a cold climate when he saw more time in the whirlpool than he did on the practice field. Yes he had a 1000 yards 2 years ago...But at 37...That's a LONG time ago. If he wants to sign for vet min...bring him to camp. But I think the upside to a vet signing is higher with a guy like Porter or Colbert because it is more likely for these two to make 16 games. If we sign the guy I hope he plays 16 games and gives us 50 catches. I just don't think he makes it 8 games. Just my opinion...[/quote:1ypw9qyy]

you make some good points...

I guess my point to you was- Galloway may not be the answer, but I can not fathom Porter or Colbert being that answer either.

If the Steelers are specifically trying to replace Washington, then they need a deep threat. Porter and Colbert are not that player.

In fairness, I actually like Keary Colbert, and think he could be a decent possession receiver on the right team. He's just not the guy to replace Nate.

Mister Pittsburgh
03-09-2009, 11:11 PM
I like this if they sign him for the minimum. He can make any catch Nate made. I don't recall Nate making a terrific catches. He just caught, most the time, what Ben put right on his numbers. He didn't ever get physical to catch the ball. His blocking was suspect at best and if you watch a lot of highlights of big plays you typically see Nate running along side the play, watching it, but not blocking anyone.

frankthetank1
03-10-2009, 08:17 AM
i would rather see the steelers take a look at mike furrey than galloway. they do need some depth at wr though and if nothing else sweed needs the competition. who knows if he can be the #3 wr next season

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-10-2009, 08:43 AM
This would be a Courtney Hawkins type of signing. With needs along both lines and at CB in the draft, a signing like this could drop WR down to a mid-to-late round consideration (a young WR who could also return kicks) instead of having to use one of our top 4-5 picks on a wideout.

This wouldn't be a Courtney Hawkins type signing. It would be more like any team who signed Rod Woodson after Pittsburgh. More like "He is old, and I don't know what he's got left in the tank, but if he is able to play then we got ourselves a helluva player."

If he is fully recovered from last season's injury, and if age has not crept up on him in the meantime, he is a better receiving option than: Nate, Porter (Jerry or Joey), Furrey, Sweed, draft pick, Courtney Hawkins, Mathis, Marvin Harrison, and any other name that has come up in this discussion. I wouldn't take him for more than one year, or pay him much money guaranteed, but he has been a great receiver in this league as recently as two years ago when he was last healthy.

Oviedo
03-10-2009, 08:53 AM
Bottomline is that if they sign Galloway they probably aren't looking for anything more than about 25 catches out of him. Hines and Santonio will get about the same as last year and you have to assume that Sweed is expected to get about 25.

Galloway would not be brought in to be the #3, that's planned to be Sweed, he is a veteran back up to step in if there are injuries and mentor younger WRs like Sweed.

proudpittsburgher
03-10-2009, 08:59 AM

Livign in Indiana, I get to see more stories on Harrison. He is just a strange bird. I never expected this stuff out of him, he usually keeps to himself and doesn't talk to the media alot, so I assumed he was a good guy. After reading more about him, it appears he isn't. His production dropped a lot this season, and he just doesn;t look like he cares about playing the game, so if he just walks away, I wouldn't be suprised. I don't want a guy like that on my team. I would rather have Galloway if he really wants to win a championship. He has less talent than Harrison, but I would rather take a little less talent and a little more heart anyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

feltdizz
03-10-2009, 10:12 AM
I read the ESPN story about the "other" Marvin Harrison..
it was disturbing..
but as a former resident of center city in Philly I can tell you I'm not surprised.. north philly cats are different.

I mean really different.. like, hey lets play basketball... 2 days later run up in your spot and rob you different.

RuthlessBurgher
03-10-2009, 10:17 AM

This wouldn't be a Courtney Hawkins type signing. It would be more like any team who signed Rod Woodson after Pittsburgh. More like "He is old, and I don't know what he's got left in the tank, but if he is able to play then we got ourselves a helluva player."

If he is fully recovered from last season's injury, and if age has not crept up on him in the meantime, he is a better receiving option than: Nate, Porter (Jerry or Joey), Furrey, Sweed, draft pick, Courtney Hawkins, Mathis, Marvin Harrison, and any other name that has come up in this discussion. I wouldn't take him for more than one year, or pay him much money guaranteed, but he has been a great receiver in this league as recently as two years ago when he was last healthy.

I don't know...Joey Porter might make a heck of a WR! :lol:

mshifko
03-10-2009, 11:15 AM
Bottomline is that if they sign Galloway they probably aren't looking for anything more than about 25 catches out of him. Hines and Santonio will get about the same as last year and you have to assume that Sweed is expected to get about 25.

Galloway would not be brought in to be the #3, that's planned to be Sweed, he is a veteran back up to step in if there are injuries and mentor younger WRs like Sweed.
yeah that's all i would expect from him...he could have some games where he could pretty much step up when others aren't, but a veteran like galloway could do wonders for this WR corps.

ANPSTEEL
03-10-2009, 12:04 PM

yeah that's all i would expect from him...he could have some games where he could pretty much step up when others aren't, but a veteran like galloway could do wonders for this WR corps.

If Galloway is healthy, and his speed hasn't eroded too much, it wouldn't surprise me if he beats out Sweed for the #3. This of course is based upon the Sweed we all watched last season.

Here is the real "threat" in respect to signing Joey Galloway.

He is visiting New England today. He'll likely get a lot more balls thrown his way with the asterisks than us.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-10-2009, 12:28 PM

I don't know...Joey Porter might make a heck of a WR! :lol:

Yes, but I only have him second on my list behind Galloway. :lol:

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-10-2009, 01:03 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":f4yar5lv]If the Steelers are going to go this route...I would rather have Porter or Colbert as a vet. I don't know how much Galloway really has left. Porter or Colbert could be the emergency #3 just in case Sweed isn't ready. If they would sign for max 1.5 maybe a 2 year deal...I wouldn't mind. Signing a skill position player in his late 30's to play in Pittsburgh in December kinda scares me!!!

I don't think I was discounting what Galloway did in the past. Never said either of them had more speed or abilty than Galloway at some point in their careers. You said it best...If he can stay healthy. He couldn't stay healthy last year. I'll take a 30 year old Galloway over both in their prime! But when I'm looking for a vet WR to handle a #3 or #4....I'm not looking for a 37 year old "might not be" to come to a cold climate when he saw more time in the whirlpool than he did on the practice field. Yes he had a 1000 yards 2 years ago...But at 37...That's a LONG time ago. If he wants to sign for vet min...bring him to camp. But I think the upside to a vet signing is higher with a guy like Porter or Colbert because it is more likely for these two to make 16 games. If we sign the guy I hope he plays 16 games and gives us 50 catches. I just don't think he makes it 8 games. Just my opinion...

you make some good points...

I guess my point to you was- Galloway may not be the answer, but I can not fathom Porter or Colbert being that answer either.

If the Steelers are specifically trying to replace Washington, then they need a deep threat. Porter and Colbert are not that player.

In fairness, I actually like Keary Colbert, and think he could be a decent possession receiver on the right team. He's just not the guy to replace Nate.[/quote:f4yar5lv]

I agree...Neither will be Nate. Although I really don't think there is a guy in FA right now that could measure up to Nate. I think Nates replacement is already on the roster in Sweed...We just have to hope he is ready to step in this year. Lack of FA talent is siding me with a guy who could give you 40 catches and be around all season. Galloway's age and health last year worries me that he might not be able to last the full year. I just hope the Steelers don't rush into anything and wait until after the draft. There may be someone who fits the mold available after the draft.

feltdizz
03-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Sweed is Nate IMO.. and once he catches those passes we will be happy we have him..
but we don't have time to gamble on him right now..

I see Galloway as our Mewelde Moore...of WR's..

i just hope he is reasonable $ wise..

Snatch98
03-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Let's just sign the dude already! :)

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-10-2009, 03:34 PM
When evaluating our WRs we should also remember that Holmes did not have a very good year in '08 prior to the playoffs. I expect his '09 season to be much improved over last regular season. That will hopefully take some of the pressure off of the new #3, whether that is Sweed, or any other WR who might find his way there.

RuthlessBurgher
03-10-2009, 03:39 PM
When evaluating our WRs we should also remember that Holmes did not have a very good year in '08 prior to the playoffs. I expect his '09 season to be much improved over last regular season. That will hopefully take some of the pressure off of the new #3, whether that is Sweed, or any other WR who might find his way there.

Yeah, people forget that he had better stats in 13 games in '07 (52 catches for 942 yards with a 18.1 yard per catch average and 8 TD's) than he did in 15 games in '08 (55 catches for 821 yards with a 14.9 yard per catch average and 5 TD's). He redeemed himself with a TD in each of our playoff games, and hopefully will be able to ride that momentum into stardom during the '09 season.

Oviedo
03-10-2009, 04:12 PM
Let's just sign the dude already! :)

Not the Steelers way. They will look at all options and be thorough in their assessements. I'd be surprised if they signed a WR in FA by this time next week.

grotonsteel
03-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Any news on Joey ??? I heard he has recovered from injury. He will be a great pick as 3rd Receiver.

flippy
03-10-2009, 05:45 PM

This is a good point about Holmes. How good is he really?

On the flipside, maybe Ben was the one that really stepped up in the playoffs.

or the Oline.

feltdizz
03-10-2009, 05:56 PM

or the Oline.

I think Holmes was going through something last year.. he seemed to drop a lot of easy passes and he was always so sure handed.

I hope we sign Galloway.. his injury could actually help us low ball him.

RuthlessBurgher
03-10-2009, 06:54 PM

or the Oline.

I think Holmes was going through something last year.. he seemed to drop a lot of easy passes and he was always so sure handed.

I hope we sign Galloway.. his injury could actually help us low ball him.

I'm sure he is used to it by now, with all those sucky Tampa QB's throwing low balls to him all the time.

NorthCoast
03-10-2009, 07:34 PM
Just say no to Joey G.

You guys remember his play from days past. He has nothing left. We would be better off with Baker from the PS. I hate signing players only to have them unavailable due to injury, which at his age is likely. This is something we expect the Browns or Detroit to do. This is an act of desperation and we do not need to make this move.

Discipline of Steel
03-10-2009, 07:35 PM
I agree...Neither will be Nate. Although I really don't think there is a guy in FA right now that could measure up to Nate. I think Nates replacement is already on the roster in Sweed...We just have to hope he is ready to step in this year. Lack of FA talent is siding me with a guy who could give you 40 catches and be around all season. Galloway's age and health last year worries me that he might not be able to last the full year. I just hope the Steelers don't rush into anything and wait until after the draft. There may be someone who fits the mold available after the draft.

Galloway would not be the new Nate. He would just be the good vet receiver we need in case of the unthinkable happening to Hines or Stonio. Sweed can still fill the role of speed guy stretching the field.

Im not so sure its important to designate one of our guys as #3 right now. That stuff becomes apparent as the season wears on.

stlrz d
03-10-2009, 07:41 PM
Just say no to Joey G.

You guys remember his play from days past. He has nothing left. We would be better off with Baker from the PS. I hate signing players only to have them unavailable due to injury, which at his age is likely. This is something we expect the Browns or Detroit to do. This is an act of desperation and we do not need to make this move.

I don't think the Steelers would be looking for him to be an every down player.

NorthCoast
03-10-2009, 08:20 PM
Just say no to Joey G.

Perhaps not, but if Sweed does not pan out, he could be called on more than expected. Just not a big fan of signing ANY NFL player over age 36. If they get hurt, they are typically done for the season since their bodies just do not heal as fast.

Discipline of Steel
03-10-2009, 08:29 PM
Just say no to Joey G.

Perhaps not, but if Sweed does not pan out, he could be called on more than expected. Just not a big fan of signing ANY NFL player over age 36. If they get hurt, they are typically done for the season since their bodies just do not heal as fast.

I disagree. Not that Im proud of it or anything...but Im 42 and get injured all the time. Never get knocked out for the season. Age is only one factor but I think it also involves genes, overall conditioning, and a persons flexibility workout regimen. Someone like Big Snack would be a much different story.

feltdizz
03-10-2009, 09:13 PM
I have no problem with Galloway's age or injury from last year...

it's not like we are signing him as the #2 or to a long term.. just a vet who caould give short term if Sweed struggles in camp.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-11-2009, 08:17 AM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":zlm8lwlc]I agree...Neither will be Nate. Although I really don't think there is a guy in FA right now that could measure up to Nate. I think Nates replacement is already on the roster in Sweed...We just have to hope he is ready to step in this year. Lack of FA talent is siding me with a guy who could give you 40 catches and be around all season. Galloway's age and health last year worries me that he might not be able to last the full year. I just hope the Steelers don't rush into anything and wait until after the draft. There may be someone who fits the mold available after the draft.

Galloway would not be the new Nate. He would just be the good vet receiver we need in case of the unthinkable happening to Hines or Stonio. Sweed can still fill the role of speed guy stretching the field.

Im not so sure its important to designate one of our guys as #3 right now. That stuff becomes apparent as the season wears on.[/quote:zlm8lwlc]
So...I guess you are agreeing with me! :wink:

frankthetank1
03-11-2009, 10:23 AM
it would be just like terrance mathis the one year he was a steeler. cost nothing and he was very good for the wr corps that year