PDA

View Full Version : BMac is a Cardinal

stlrz d
03-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Cardinals sign free-agent CB McFadden

By PFW staff
March 8, 2009

The Cardinals announced Sunday that they have agreed to terms on a two-year contract with free-agent CB Bryant McFadden, formerly of the Steelers.

McFadden, 27, has spent his entire four-year NFL career in Pittsburgh after being selected by the Steelers in the second round of the 2005 draft.

The 6-0, 190-pounder started eight of the 10 games in which he played last season, collecting 54 tackles and one sack. He missed six games with a broken arm but came back to start the last three regular-season games and all three playoff contests.

He has 18 career starts and has collected seven interceptions, 36 passes defensed, four fumble recoveries, one forced fumble, and two sacks.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NF ... 030809.htm (http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/NFC/NFC+West/Arizona/Features/2009/holbrook030809.htm)

calmkiller
03-08-2009, 06:34 PM
sad only 5 million a year. Seems like we could have worked something out.

stlrz d
03-08-2009, 06:36 PM
sad only 5 million a year. Seems like we could have worked something out.

2 year deal. I bet the Steelers wanted a longer one for about the same $ per year and Rosenhaus said no.

SidSmythe
03-08-2009, 06:44 PM
That is a strange deal!!
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3962667
2 years???

He get's a guaranteed $5 million this year and if he plays for the Cards in 2010, he gets the other $5 million.

I actually wish more players would do contracts like this.

NKySteeler
03-08-2009, 07:01 PM
Well... Time to see if Gay can produce on a regular basis.... I think LeBeau likes the kid, and now we'll get to see why.

Would have been nice to keep him, but we didn't have too much cap room to spare even at this price... I don't think it was a suprise to anyone.

Chadman
03-08-2009, 07:11 PM
So, with B-Mac gone, the OL 'intact' from last season, and with Tomlin missing out on Revis in his first year as HC- who wants to bet CB becomes a 1st round selection?

True Fan
03-08-2009, 07:15 PM
So, with B-Mac gone, the OL 'intact' from last season, and with Tomlin missing out on Revis in his first year as HC- who wants to bet CB becomes a 1st round selection?

i would hope not. do you really think this team can afford to ignore the oline and dline another yerar?

WoodleyofTroy
03-08-2009, 07:22 PM

I'll bet that they select the best player regardless of position...

NKySteeler
03-08-2009, 07:25 PM
i would hope not. do you really think this team can afford to ignore the oline and dline another yerar?

...Personally, I think it has been "ignored" for too long as it is... The line on either side of the ball is "developed" over time, and is not easily thrown together (especially the O-line). Just because we've retained most of it (offensively) because they came-on at the end of the season doesn't mean that it doesn't need to be addressed. We've just bought time, that's all... Defensively, they are getting old, and it needs to be looked at as well... Just my opinion.

SteelerNation1
03-08-2009, 07:56 PM
WTF kind of deal is this? He hires Rosenhaus to get him a 2 year, 10 million $ deal? I could've gotten him that deal. I guess I overvalued BMac all year. I seriously thought he'd sign a megadeal this offseason. :oops:

Eddie Spaghetti
03-08-2009, 08:03 PM
i wonder if we were given a chance to match that.

seems like a steal for AZ.

mshifko
03-08-2009, 08:03 PM
disappointing but we'll rebound...

i think we'll draft a corner early now, BPA in the 1st round and that player just may be a corner

MaxAMillion
03-08-2009, 08:06 PM

The Steelers would not necessarily be ignoring the OL and DL if they draft a corner in round 1. The idea is to get the best player with the best value. For example, what if none of the centers get drafted in the first 31 picks. The Steelers could decide to draft a corner in round 1 and then draft a center in round 2. A lot of experts view this draft as having 3-4 centers who can be legitimate starters. Is there much difference between Mack and Wood?

Also, the league is full of interior OL who were drafted in the middle rounds. The Steelers can still get a starting Guard in either the 2nd or third round.

There are only a couple of DL worthy of being drafted in round 1 and I doubt they are there when the Steelers draft. The OL I hope falls to the Steelers is Britton. He can play both Tackle spots. It is likely the Eagles will take him. If Britton does not fall to the Steelers then I think they should draft a corner.

The Steelers are obviously going to take some OL and DL, for depth purposes if nothing else, but they don't have to do it in round 1 if better talent is available at another position.

Mel Blount's G
03-08-2009, 08:15 PM
I will be disappointed if we go CB with #32. And this was my fear if we didn't sign b-mac. But I do believe we'll go BPA - although it will be BPA of DL's, OL's and CB's I believe (and hope). However, If tomlin's emphasis on "skill positions" has any influence, then we won't see a DL or an OL with that first pick. In my ideal world a born and bred NT falls out of the sky to us at #32 and is groomed and ready when hampton's contract expires. OR a super-studly OG/C. This same ideal world has us finding a solid CB in the later rounds :P

BradshawsHairdresser
03-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Again, the Steelers should have negotiated with Bmac several months ago. I have no doubt they could have gotten a deal done--one better than this. The friggin' Raiders skewed the market for all CBs.

Now we'll have to spend a high draft pick on CB, when we could have concentrated on much-needed help on the OL and DL.

buckeyehoppy
03-08-2009, 08:26 PM

Not to jump on ya, Chadman, but how long have some of the people on this board been asking, begging and pleading for some attention to be paid to the OL and/or DL?

If we have any injuries on either line next year, you could see what looks like a really easy schedule get a lot tougher sooner than we thought.

This is the draft the OL and DL need to be addressed. It's almost like the draft two years ago when the Steelers overhauled the LBs. How good an idea was that?

To be honest, the OL and DL will need two drafts to re-tool and build depth and a base for the future. If the Steelers look at it that way, then the urgency isn't as great and you can look at a CB.

Another thought: this year's crop of CBs is pretty average. Unless I can get Jenkins, I'd be OK w/the Steelers waiting a while.

One player the Steelers should look at hard...and it wouldn't take a very high pick to get him...is Underwood from Cincinnati via tOSU. The Buckeyes actually could have used him last year. He's a decent player and may not take much more than a 3rd Round comp to get him.

Vindrow
03-08-2009, 08:43 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... rss&feed=9 (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_615101.html?source=rss&feed=9)

McFadden departs Steelers for Cards
Buzz up!By Scott Brown, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, March 8, 2009
About the writer
Scott Brown is the Steelers beat writer. He can be reached via e-mail or 412-481-5432.

The Steelers have lost the first starter from their Super Bowl-winning team, as cornerback Bryant McFadden has signed a two-year, $10 million contract with the Arizona Cardinals.

McFadden, a second-round draft pick of the Steelers in 2005, came into his own last season after overtaking Deshea Townsend for the starting job opposite Ike Taylor. He had 41 tackles and two interceptions despite missing six games because of injuries.

William Gay is expected to get the first crack at McFadden's starting job.

The Steelers have also lost wide receiver Nate Washington, who signed with the Titans, during free agency.

Crud....please merge with other thread...thanks.

feelthesteel
03-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Money talks$$$

BURGH86STEEL
03-08-2009, 08:54 PM

The Steelers would not necessarily be ignoring the OL and DL if they draft a corner in round 1. The idea is to get the best player with the best value. For example, what if none of the centers get drafted in the first 31 picks. The Steelers could decide to draft a corner in round 1 and then draft a center in round 2. A lot of experts view this draft as having 3-4 centers who can be legitimate starters. Is there much difference between Mack and Wood?

Also, the league is full of interior OL who were drafted in the middle rounds. The Steelers can still get a starting Guard in either the 2nd or third round.

There are only a couple of DL worthy of being drafted in round 1 and I doubt they are there when the Steelers draft. The OL I hope falls to the Steelers is Britton. He can play both Tackle spots. It is likely the Eagles will take him. If Britton does not fall to the Steelers then I think they should draft a corner.

The Steelers are obviously going to take some OL and DL, for depth purposes if nothing else, but they don't have to do it in round 1 if better talent is available at another position.

I agree with most of this assessment.

feltdizz
03-08-2009, 09:07 PM
WTF kind of deal is this? He hires Rosenhaus to get him a 2 year, 10 million $ deal? I could've gotten him that deal. I guess I overvalued BMac all year. I seriously thought he'd sign a megadeal this offseason. :oops:

It's a decent deal for a CB who wasn't missed when he was injured.

why would any team pay top dollar for a CB who has ZERO tape in bump and run coverage?

sorry to sound so mean but the only reason Bmac was thought to get big money was because he has CB next to his name..

he is a #3 CB who moved up to #2 and then got injured and the D never skipped a beat without him.

good luck to him and I think he will now have a chance to show if deserves a big payday in 2 years

BURGH86STEEL
03-08-2009, 09:10 PM

Not to jump on ya, Chadman, but how long have some of the people on this board been asking, begging and pleading for some attention to be paid to the OL and/or DL?

If we have any injuries on either line next year, you could see what looks like a really easy schedule get a lot tougher sooner than we thought.

This is the draft the OL and DL need to be addressed. It's almost like the draft two years ago when the Steelers overhauled the LBs. How good an idea was that?

To be honest, the OL and DL will need two drafts to re-tool and build depth and a base for the future. If the Steelers look at it that way, then the urgency isn't as great and you can look at a CB.

Another thought: this year's crop of CBs is pretty average. Unless I can get Jenkins, I'd be OK w/the Steelers waiting a while.

One player the Steelers should look at hard...and it wouldn't take a very high pick to get him...is Underwood from Cincinnati via tOSU. The Buckeyes actually could have used him last year. He's a decent player and may not take much more than a 3rd Round comp to get him.

They have given some attention to the Oline and Dline. Since 05, they drafted more Olinemen than any other player. They drafted or brought in several Dlinemen. With so many teams running the 3-4, those types of Dlinemen are getting harder to get. People need to take into consideration how many top Oline and Dlinmen the organization had the opportunity to draft. There have not been many, if any at all. When good Olinemen come along, they usually come off the draft boards quickly. We saw that in the 08 draft.

They overhauled the LBs because those players were there. If teams knew Woodley was going to be this good, he would of been a first round pick. They can only draft the players that are available. Should they reach for Olinemen they do not like? That can be said for any player.

If there is a complaint, maybe they missed out on some Olinemen/Dlinemen later in the draft? Overall, I think they've done a pretty good job in the draft. Good enough to win 2 Superbowls in 3 seasons. No team is perfect when it comes to the draft.

If an Olinemen they fell is better than any other player on their board at 32, they will probably take that Olinemen. If they feel the CB is better than the Olinemen, they will go with the CB. If they feel both players are equal on their board, who knows who they will draft. I am sure these types of scenarios play out for every team during the draft.

Wolfhound45
03-08-2009, 09:16 PM
What potential comp picks would we be looking at, if any? How does that system work?

feltdizz
03-08-2009, 09:17 PM

Colbert now has proof that OL and DL do not need to be addressed in early rounds to win a SB...

We will go BPA, CB or DL probably... screw that OL bullsh## ....

seriously though.. why the hell would I go OL when my BPA has been gangster and we have won 2 SB's in 4 years? If I'm Colbert I would tell the fans to STFU and enjoy the ride... LOL!!!

feltdizz
03-08-2009, 09:26 PM

They have given some attention to the Oline and Dline. Since 05, they drafted more Olinemen than any other player. They drafted or brought in several Dlinemen. With so many teams running the 3-4, those types of Dlinemen are getting harder to get. People need to take into consideration how many top Oline and Dlinmen the organization had the opportunity to draft. There have not been many, if any at all. When good Olinemen come along, they usually come off the draft boards quickly. We saw that in the 08 draft.

They overhauled the LBs because those players were there. If teams knew Woodley was going to be this good, he would of been a first round pick. They can only draft the players that are available. Should they reach for Olinemen they do not like? That can be said for any player.

If there is a complaint, maybe they missed out on some Olinemen/Dlinemen later in the draft? Overall, I think they've done a pretty good job in the draft. Good enough to win 2 Superbowls in 3 seasons. No team is perfect when it comes to the draft.

If an Olinemen they fell is better than any other player on their board at 32, they will probably take that Olinemen. If they feel the CB is better than the Olinemen, they will go with the CB. If they feel both players are equal on their board, who knows who they will draft. I am sure these types of scenarios play out for every team during the draft.

we have never been in a position to get the glam OL pick most covet.. and I have yet to see any of these great top 15 OL lead a team to a SB victory...

NKySteeler
03-08-2009, 09:26 PM
Good enough to win 2 Superbowls in 3 seasons.

...Actually, I think it would be 2 in 4, not 3....

Glad you're happy with the draft, and our stellar job of producing a top-notch group of linemen so as to protect our qb and reduce the number of sacks... Guess that makes everything "ok" in your book.... :roll:

SteelBucks
03-08-2009, 10:06 PM

I'll bet that they select the best player regardless of position...

BPA as long as it's not QB or TE.

NorthCoast
03-08-2009, 10:09 PM
This is not the loss some are making it out to be. BMac was solid but not special. Rewatch the 2nd half of the Superbowl. There were plays made against him. For LeBeau, it is all about scheme, so while BMac may have allowed one type of scheme, I would bet that LeBeau has a scheme to fit Gay's strong points. We will draft a corner, but I don't see one before the 3rd round. Plus, you never know what the rosters will look like after the draft where we might be able to pick up a release CB as BMac's replacement on the cheap. Wish him the best, but not shedding any tears at the moment.

MBposter
03-08-2009, 10:14 PM

Colbert now has proof that OL and DL do not need to be addressed in early rounds to win a SB...

We will go BPA, CB or DL probably... screw that OL bullsh## ....

seriously though.. why the hell would I go OL when my BPA has been gangster and we have won 2 SB's in 4 years? If I'm Colbert I would tell the fans to STFU and enjoy the ride... LOL!!!

Enjoy the Ride until the Quarterback's career ends before he turns 30.
That's when the ride ends. Ask 49ers, Broncos, etc.

SteelBucks
03-08-2009, 10:24 PM
I guess he thinks his value will increase 2 years from now..........

The Pittsburgh Steelers offered more years but Bryant McFadden agreed to a two-year, $10 million contract with the Arizona Cardinals this afternoon. John Clayton of ESPN reports the entire salary is guaranteed in 2009. A source tells Inside Pittsburgh Sports, the Steelers offered a 5 year deal with close to $10 million guaranteed over the course of the contract. McFadden went with a shorter deal with the opportunity to cash in two seasons from now.

Pittsburgh and Arizona were the only teams to make offers. McFadden was hopeful to return to Florida and sign with the Miami Dolphins but the Dolphins never scheduled a visit or make a offer to McFadden who went into free agency seeking $16 million in guarantees.

Lebsteel
03-08-2009, 10:29 PM
This is not the loss some are making it out to be. BMac was solid but not special. Rewatch the 2nd half of the Superbowl. There were plays made against him. For LeBeau, it is all about scheme, so while BMac may have allowed one type of scheme, I would bet that LeBeau has a scheme to fit Gay's strong points. We will draft a corner, but I don't see one before the 3rd round. Plus, you never know what the rosters will look like after the draft where we might be able to pick up a release CB as BMac's replacement on the cheap. Wish him the best, but not shedding any tears at the moment.

Totally agree with you North. BMac is not a big loss at all. I think they really like Gay and feel they can pick up a mid-round corner (just like Gay) to groom to take Townsend's place in 2010. I really don't think there is a corner out there that has value at 32 other than Jenkins and Davis and they will be gone. After those two there are a group of late first day, early second day CBs. The best BPAs will be OL like Mack, Unger, Britton and some DL like Hood, maybe Brace (you are making a point Oviedo), or Jackson.
And to some of the other comments about our OL, we won the SB despite a very average OL certainly not because of them. We need a drastic improvement on our OL and now is the time to do it since we have only one starter, Kemo, signed for 2010. The same could be said about our DL with only Smith signed after next year.

buckeyehoppy
03-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Losing BMac, considering what he got for a deal, won't cause me to lose sleep any time soon.

We didn't miss him when he was hurt and he couldn't crack the starting lineup unless someone couldn't answer the opening bell. Let the Cards overpay for him.

We're about to find out what Willie Gay's game is all about.

MBposter
03-08-2009, 10:41 PM

we won the SB despite a very average OL certainly not because of them. .

That's the polite way of putting it. If you can't discuss how the Steelers should
improve the offensive line, then you might as well not have any offseason discussions.

costanza2k1
03-08-2009, 11:08 PM
Well now that he's gone hopefully he dominates there so we can get a comp pick for him. 2nd round pick who took forever to beat DT and then had to rotate with our 5th round pick before he regained his gig. Not to mention he could've come back earlier but his butt nugget agent told him not to risk it as he would risk breaking the bank in the offseason if he reinjured. So much for that theory, great advice that was. I wish him the best...time to move on.

Unfortunately we're going to see more players leave with the money handed out to our core players...not everyone can get the scratch...we'll just have to cope.

Ben, Troy, Harrison, Farrior, Hines > Bmac and the like...

feltdizz
03-08-2009, 11:21 PM

Glad you're happy with the draft, and our stellar job of producing a top-notch group of linemen so as to protect our qb and reduce the number of sacks... Guess that makes everything "ok" in your book.... :roll:

I know where you are going with this but you lose on it..
the goal is winning SB's and we have won 2 in four years after a 25 year drought.

what is the point of having a great OL like Dallas or the Pats* or Minnesota?

I don't get it.. How is it doom and gloom with a SB winning OL because they didn't win all the other important awards?

Ben was sacked 31 time in 13 games with a great OL in 2004..

I think we just like to complain...

buckeyehoppy
03-08-2009, 11:23 PM

Totally agree with you North. BMac is not a big loss at all. I think they really like Gay and feel they can pick up a mid-round corner (just like Gay) to groom to take Townsend's place in 2010. I really don't think there is a corner out there that has value at 32 other than Jenkins and Davis and they will be gone. After those two there are a group of late first day, early second day CBs. The best BPAs will be OL like Mack, Unger, Britton and some DL like Hood, maybe Brace (you are making a point Oviedo), or Jackson.
And to some of the other comments about our OL, we won the SB despite a very average OL certainly not because of them. We need a drastic improvement on our OL and now is the time to do it since we have only one starter, Kemo, signed for 2010. The same could be said about our DL with only Smith signed after next year.

Is it time yet for the lesson on how good football teams stay that way?

What did we do the year after SBXL? I don't know about you, but I don't feel like explaining a hangover. The great line play the year after SBXL?...never materialized. And let's be honest, the need was there...in the 2006 Draft.

The Steelers have drafted 13 OL players in Colbert's 9 drafts. For an outfit that takes up 20% of the starting slots on any team, that is at least statistically deficient.

The Steelers have drafted 4 of 13 OL players in Rounds 1, 2 and 3. The players? Marvel, Hampton, Starks and Essex. All have started, at one point or another...but are you impressed with any of them? Right now, the only one of those who is going to be on the team for sure at this point for next season is Starks. Hampton is gone, Marvel is probably done, Essex is strictly a backup.

Of the other 9, only Hills, Colon and Kemo are still here. Again, who's impressed with those guys? Over a 9 year period, Kevin Colbert has drafted only five players who have been able to stick with the team to this point. Only Starks and Kemo are starters.

Let's face it...Colbert has been successful with 7 out of 13 OL picks. 6 have been busts. Of the 7 who have succeeded, only 4 are still under contract, 2 are gone or (probably) done and 1 may do well off the bench.

Teams who want to stay successful year after year build from the inside out. Ben is still under contract for another 5 years and he doesn't have one line man guaranteed to be here beyond next season. That doesn't sound like unit cohesion in the making. That sounds like a potential rebuild. How are the players going to come here unless the team pays market rate for rubbish?

Unless Max grows up and can prove he can play LT consistently
...unless Kemo can prove that he can open up for the run (something we had a problem with this season even with a SB win)
...unless Colon can find a position he can stay in AND play well enough to stay in
...unless Hills can prove that he belongs here and can contribute long term
...we can safely assume that it is a better than good idea that Kevin Colbert finally pay enough attention to his OL line to protect his US$102M QB so that he is still worth something at the end of the deal.

feltdizz
03-08-2009, 11:27 PM

:Agree

Boldin beat Bmac on that 45 yard pass play.. it happens to the best CB's but people are talking about Bmac like he was covering the #1's and Ike was demoted..

dude was decent but being hurt showed us that we could get the same productoin for less with Gay...

feltdizz
03-08-2009, 11:30 PM

What did we do the year after SBXL? I don't know about you, but I don't feel like explaining a hangover. The great line play the year after SBXL?...never materialized. And let's be honest, the need was there...in the 2006 Draft.

The Steelers have drafted 13 OL players in Colbert's 9 drafts. For an outfit that takes up 20% of the starting slots on any team, that is at least statistically deficient.

The Steelers have drafted 4 of 13 OL players in Rounds 1, 2 and 3. The players? Marvel, Hampton, Starks and Essex. All have started, at one point or another...but are you impressed with any of them? Right now, the only one of those who is going to be on the team for sure at this point for next season is Starks. Hampton is gone, Marvel is probably done, Essex is strictly a backup.

Of the other 9, only Hills, Colon and Kemo are still here. Again, who's impressed with those guys? Over a 9 year period, Kevin Colbert has drafted only five players who have been able to stick with the team to this point. Only Starks and Kemo are starters.

Let's face it...Colbert has been successful with 7 out of 13 OL picks. 6 have been busts. Of the 7 who have succeeded, only 4 are still under contract, 2 are gone or (probably) done and 1 may do well off the bench.

Teams who want to stay successful year after year build from the inside out. Ben is still under contract for another 5 years and he doesn't has one line man guaranteed to be here beyond next season. That doesn't sound like unit cohesion in the making.

Unless Max grows up and can prove he can play LT consistently...unless Kemo can prove that he can open up for the run (something we had a problem with this season even with a SB win)...unless Colon can find a position he can stay in AND play well enough to stay in...unless Hills can prove that he belongs here and can contribute long term...we can safely assume that it is a better than good idea that Kevin Colbert finally pay enough attention to his OL line to protect his US$102M QB so that he is still worth something at the end of the deal.

umm.. I hate to bust your bubble but Ben hit his face on a car in 2006 and then had surgery..

and we won a SB 3 years later.. I don't get your point? Especially with a new coach and a single back formation... makes no sense at all to use 2006 as proof of anything other then Cowher mailing it in..

and how can you talk about teams being successful when we have had
15 wins
11 wins and a SB
8 wins and a damaged QB and a lazy coach
10 wins with a new coach
12 wins and ANOTHER SB victory....

Chadman
03-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Well now that he's gone hopefully he dominates there so we can get a comp pick for him. 2nd round pick who took forever to beat DT and then had to rotate with our 5th round pick before he regained his gig. Not to mention he could've come back earlier but his butt nugget agent told him not to risk it as he would risk breaking the bank in the offseason if he reinjured. So much for that theory, great advice that was. I wish him the best...time to move on.

Unfortunately we're going to see more players leave with the money handed out to our core players...not everyone can get the scratch...we'll just have to cope.

Ben, Troy, Harrison, Farrior, Hines > Bmac and the like...

Don't fear over plyer turnover Costanza.

Manchester United's great manager, Sir Alex Ferguson, has always said (and Chadman agrees), that to have continued success, a team must have a certain amount of player turnover EVERY YEAR in order to remain fresh, develop younger players, and evolve as a team- the same way that other teams evolve.

Keeping the same players, year after year, will keep you competitive for a while- but sooner rather than later- that team will hit the wall & it is MUCH harder to return to the top if you need to replace a whole bunch of guys in one hit.

The Steelers turnover is about right- rarely losing too many players that they are reaching to fill gaps.

steelsun7
03-08-2009, 11:43 PM

the goal is winning SB's and we have won 2 in four years after a 25 year drought.

I don't get it.. How is it doom and gloom with a SB winning OL because they didn't win all the other important awards?

because Ben was almost killed this season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HELLO!!!!
how many hits can this guy take

MBposter
03-08-2009, 11:47 PM

Can't use Rookie QB sack stats to justify anything. Ben's sack rate in his
first year as a starter wasn't any worse than Brady's during his first year.
Check Ben's sack rate in 2005 and compare that to 2007 % 2008.

MBposter
03-08-2009, 11:58 PM

Teams who want to stay successful year after year build from the inside out. Ben is still under contract for another 5 years and he doesn't has one line man guaranteed to be here beyond next season. That doesn't sound like unit cohesion in the making.

Unless Max grows up and can prove he can play LT consistently...unless Kemo can prove that he can open up for the run (something we had a problem with this season even with a SB win)...unless Colon can find a position he can stay in AND play well enough to stay in...unless Hills can prove that he belongs here and can contribute long term...we can safely assume that it is a better than good idea that Kevin Colbert finally pay enough attention to his OL line to protect his US$102M QB so that he is still worth something at the end of the deal.

umm.. I hate to bust your bubble but Ben hit his face on a car in 2006 and then had surgery..

and we won a SB 3 years later.. I don't get your point? Especially with a new coach and a single back formation... makes no sense at all to use 2006 as proof of anything other then Cowher mailing it in..

15 wins
11 wins and a SB
10 wins with a new coach

The problem comes when you can't pick up 3rd and 1 on the ground,
and then you see Fans blaming the coordinator. If you think the line is
fine, then don't complain when the offense doesn't work right.

buckeyehoppy
03-09-2009, 12:00 AM

15 wins
11 wins and a SB
10 wins with a new coach

I can talk because 2006 tells me I can...the Steelers didn't make it to the playoffs a year after the SB win in XL.

Good thing the AFC North's weakness and a light (on paper) schedule allows us to talk about playoffs next season.

We'll see how the Steelers do. However, do you know who's going to play LT beyond next year? And do we even know if Max will show up like he did the last half of this season or will we see the Max we saw the first 4 1/2 years and couldn't crack the starting lineup unless an injury happened? Lots of questions for a guy we are paying US$8+M next season...who has been paid US$15+M last season and this coming.

The Steelers need a OL who can give Ben time to pick apart a D consistently...not just when they feel like it.

I'll say this now...let's see what the Steelers have for an encore next season. The OL will have to do what they did last season next season...but they will have to better since the target is on the back.

This is the Steelers OL based on who is signed right now:

LT- Starks, Hills, Capizzi
LG- Kemo, Parquet
C- Hartwig, Legursky
RG- Stapleton
RT- Colon

That's it. Are you still sure the Steelers can repeat what they did this past season with the line as presently constituted, assuming no injuries and no drop off in performance?

I agree with you...let's keep it this way...we're the Clubhouse Leaders...why f--- with it?

MBposter
03-09-2009, 12:06 AM

15 wins
11 wins and a SB
10 wins with a new coach

I can talk because 2006 tells me I can...the Steelers didn't make it to the playoffs a year after the SB win in XL.

The Steelers need a OL who can give Ben time to pick apart a D consistently...not just when they feel like it.

?

Or how about a Running game? Imagine that?

Chadman
03-09-2009, 12:13 AM

Good point- but surely that is more to do with the INTERIOR of the OL, not the OT's?

That being the case- who do you draft to step in immediately and help?

Only Alex Mack & Duke Robinson fit as 1st round picks to fill this spot- and if Mack plays center only- he's unlikely to replace Hartwig, so no improvement will be seen.

Rookie OG's have filled in around the league- not all 1st round picks. It is feasable that the Steelers could grab interior OL guys in rounds 2 & 3 & have just as much success with them next season as they would if they drafted one in Round 1.

Then you can use your 1st round pick on a CB or DL...

MBposter
03-09-2009, 12:19 AM

umm.. I hate to bust your bubble ....

I hate to Bust your bubble as well.

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&author=feltdizz&start=750 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&author=feltdizz&start=750)

you said,

How can you blame FWP for 3rd and longs when our OL is to blame

Feltdizz, is the offensive line to blame or not? At least make up your mind so
we can have a discussion.

buckeyehoppy
03-09-2009, 12:21 AM

Or how about a Running game? Imagine that?

Point!

MBposter
03-09-2009, 12:25 AM

Good point- but surely that is more to do with the INTERIOR of the OL, not the OT's?

Only Alex Mack & Duke Robinson fit as 1st round picks to fill this spot- and if Mack plays center only- he's unlikely to replace Hartwig, so no improvement will be seen.

Rookie OG's have filled in around the league- not all 1st round picks. It is feasable that the Steelers could grab interior OL guys in rounds 2 & 3 & have just as much success with them next season as they would if they drafted one in Round 1.

Imo , you draft the center if available. Hartwig hasn't been able to stay healthy
tow years in a row. I could see him getting hurt, and Mack never giving him
his job back.

buckeyehoppy
03-09-2009, 12:42 AM

Imo , you draft the center if available. Hartwig hasn't been able to stay healthy
tow years in a row. I could see him getting hurt, and Mack never giving him
his job back.

If Alex Mack is there, you have to pounce. The need is there at T, but it will also be there at C after next season. It would be nice to get a future OL starter into the fold prior to our need for him.

feltdizz
03-09-2009, 12:54 AM

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&author=feltdizz&start=750 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&author=feltdizz&start=750)

you said,

I hate to bust your bubble...

but that argument was centered on FWP vs. Mendenhall running up the middle. Mahan was a bad pick up in 2007 anyway..

at least keep it in context and don't cherry pick from other discussions...

I don't get why you would use that.. but anyway... I'm jjust sayin... when you win 2 SB's in 5 years you are the example of one of the successful teams YOU spoke of....

feltdizz
03-09-2009, 12:57 AM

because Ben was almost killed this season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HELLO!!!!
how many hits can this guy take

Ben is almost killed every season... it's the way he plays the game...

did he really need to wait til the last second to throw a 4 yard pass in a meaningless Stains game? No...

Ben will ALWAYS take hits.. it's his game... I thought we would see the obvious by now.

feltdizz
03-09-2009, 01:06 AM

:wft we just won our 6th SB and half the board is still complaining..

how about if we don't win a SB next year you get to complain?

this is why I'm jabbing you guys.. you are talking about everything that is wrong with a SB winning team.. sure I want to get better as well.. but I don't think the OL is as bad as you do...

look at our schedule last year.. and our schedule this year.. I think our OL will look much better... those other teams have professionals to you know..

BURGH86STEEL
03-09-2009, 07:51 AM

My bad, 2 in 4 is still good enough to make most fans happy. Except the few that do not seem to appreciate that accomplishment or take it for granted.

I am happy with the way they draft. No team is going to get it perfect. It produced 2 SB wins in 4 seasons.

I suppose this is the problems with most fans. They want a "perfect" team from top to bottom. Show me a perfect team from top to bottom around the league? Every team has weaknesses or positions they can or need to get better. Again, when have they been in a position to draft some of the top Olinemen? When the were unable to get the top players they want at one position, they try to make other positions stronger to compensate. This appears to be the Steelers philosophy in recent years.

Again, the way they drafted produced several winning seasons and 2 SB wins. I have no clue what some of you want out of this organization? Maybe some of you want a few losing seasons so they can draft some of the top Olinemen? Even then, nothing is guaranteed. The losing seasons would give people a valid reason to complain. If they loss games on purpose to build up the Oline and Dline would that make some fans happy?

I think this goes back to unrealistic expectations from some fans.

Oviedo
03-09-2009, 08:08 AM

Colbert won't "reach" in Round 1 for a CB just because Bmac left. I'm still predicting OL or DL (yes I still want Brace or Mack). I think we can get a good CB in Round 2 or 3, possibly a guy like "Macho" Harris form VT or later in Round 4 or 5 with a guy like Joe Burnett from UCF. The only way this hurts is that we may now burn a Round 2 pick on a CB versus getting OL or DL depending on what we grab in Round 1.

I also think that there is a better chance now we see a guy like Leigh Bodden or Patrick Surtain coming in to be part of the rotation with Gay.

Reference Bmac's contract. He is an idiot and should fire Rosenhaus. He has not exactly established himself as an elite player and to turn down more years and more guaranteed money is really stupid.

Jooser
03-09-2009, 09:13 AM
I hate to burst the Cardinals fans bubble, but screw BMac. He shoulda stayed put instead of wasting away in the desert. Super Bowl losers have a way of falling off the radar the year after they lose (i.e. Seahags). He is now a loser IMHO....

:loser

ramblinjim
03-09-2009, 09:46 AM
Again, I'm going to trust our FO on this one. I never would have dreamed that we would have let Bmac go for a two year 10mil deal. The FO, Tomlin and Lebeau obviously saw flaws in Bmac's game that many of us didn't see.

We won 2 SuperBowls in 4 years and have intact a pretty darn good football team. There are a lot of teams out there that would love to have our problems.

As far as the draft, I would guess and hope that we beef up our line big time in this draft. But then again if someone like Vontae Davis would happen to fall to 32 (I can't imagine that but I couldn't imagine Mendenhall last year either) then we would go for it.

aggiebones
03-09-2009, 09:52 AM
That wasn't much considering such a short deal.
That's a risky play by BMac. Not much interest in him frankly if all he could garner was a look from an old coach. 2 yrs would have been useless to us however. Go with Gay and draft someone else in around the 3rd/4th and train em up before Lebeau leaves.

Oviedo
03-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Again, I'm going to trust our FO on this one. I never would have dreamed that we would have let Bmac go for a two year 10mil deal. The FO, Tomlin and Lebeau obviously saw flaws in Bmac's game that many of us didn't see.

We won 2 SuperBowls in 4 years and have intact a pretty darn good football team. There are a lot of teams out there that would love to have our problems.

As far as the draft, I would guess and hope that we beef up our line big time in this draft. But then again if someone like Vontae Davis would happen to fall to 32 (I can't imagine that but I couldn't imagine Mendenhall last year either) then we would go for it.

Once again with emphasis: "it is the symbol on the right side of the helmet not the name on the back of the jersey."

I'm not sure that the FO "let Bmac go" but I think Bmac and his agent found out his value in the market place was much less than they thought and they wanted a shorter contract whereas I bet the Steelers were insisting on a longer contract. Huge risk on Bmac's part because he could go back into a completely different market in two years if he isn't a star performer or the new CBA changes the landscape of free agency.

RuthlessBurgher
03-09-2009, 10:08 AM

Casey Hampton is gone too? I guess NT is an immediate need now too!!!

Just kidding, man...it just confused me for a second when Kendall Simmons suddenly changed his name to Casey Hampton in this post. :P

ikestops85
03-09-2009, 11:20 AM
We have won 2 SBs in 4 years and that is terrific. That being said I don't think that means the team doesn't have areas it could improve upon. To think that doesn't mean your aren't a 'fan' or you hope for a losing season to prove your point. We are all fans of the same team but it wouldn't be much of a discussion board if we all agreed.

Now, based on what I saw last year from the SB champs is we got stuffed on a lot of 3rd and 1s and 4th and 1s. I also thought our pass protection was spotty at best. To me that means we need to improve the offensive line. The defensive line, while it played fantastic last year, is getting up there in age so I think it would be wise start bringing in new blood. So, in my opinion, we draft big uglies with a sprinkling of CB and WR/KR. I don't think we need to draft any LBs but re-sign Fox, who, besides being a standout special teams player, can be a starter on our team.

Granted, I am not an NFL GM but I did spend last night in a ... well, you know the rest. :D

costanza2k1
03-09-2009, 12:10 PM

you said,

Welcome back smartmonies...you are more than welcome to stick around this time just don't blow the rules. Coming back with multiple aliases is kind of lame when you knock posters on this site on other boards. Masking your IP each time you sign on gets old after a while too and is easily traceable. So welcome back and follow the rules this time. Thank you come again.

feltdizz
03-09-2009, 12:12 PM
We have won 2 SBs in 4 years and that is terrific. That being said I don't think that means the team doesn't have areas it could improve upon. To think that doesn't mean your aren't a 'fan' or you hope for a losing season to prove your point. We are all fans of the same team but it wouldn't be much of a discussion board if we all agreed.

Now, based on what I saw last year from the SB champs is we got stuffed on a lot of 3rd and 1s and 4th and 1s. I also thought our pass protection was spotty at best. To me that means we need to improve the offensive line. The defensive line, while it played fantastic last year, is getting up there in age so I think it would be wise start bringing in new blood. So, in my opinion, we draft big uglies with a sprinkling of CB and WR/KR. I don't think we need to draft any LBs but re-sign Fox, who, besides being a standout special teams player, can be a starter on our team.

Granted, I am not an NFL GM but I did spend last night in a ... well, you know the rest. :D

you are correct. However I think the way we have been operating regarding OL drafts and bringing in uglies has been successful... and when I say successful I mean the last team standing with the trophie 2 of the last 4 years..

I understand fans want the best OL in football.. but if you look at the best/better OL's in football you will see those teams have much bigger problems..

every team that has won a SB has had a weakness... our GM has picked his poison and it has paid of well...

Also.. "we have won 2 SB's in 4 years and that is great but..." is hilarious.. what fans get to say that so nonchalantly?

stlrz d
03-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Welcome back smartmonies...you are more than welcome to stick around this time just don't blow the rules. Coming back with multiple aliases is kind of lame when you knock posters on this site on other boards. Masking your IP each time you sign on gets old after a while too and is easily traceable. So welcome back and follow the rules this time. Thank you come again.

Oh snap! Busted!!! :P

RuthlessBurgher
03-09-2009, 12:16 PM

I just thought it was funny that our resident Sikh gave him the "Thank you come again" treatment. :lol:

costanza2k1
03-09-2009, 12:19 PM

I just thought it was funny that our resident Sikh gave him the "Thank you come again" treatment. :lol:

I'm glad you caught that... LOL

steelblood
03-09-2009, 12:56 PM
How did we not match that deal?

feltdizz
03-09-2009, 01:08 PM

I think BMac wants a chance to show his worth..
it's hard to prove your worth when our LB's make so many plays on the QB.

now Bmac gets a chance to improve a D

and Gay killed Bmac's worth to our team. Well, Bmacs injury gave Gay a chance....

ramblinjim
03-09-2009, 01:49 PM

and Gay killed Bmac's worth to our team. Well, Bmacs injury gave Gay a chance....

This is exactly what I was thinking. If we didn't match 2 years at $10m then the FO and the coaching staff must have either felt that a) William Gay was a more than adequate replacement or b) that BMac wasn't as well thought of as we thought.

feltdizz
03-09-2009, 02:13 PM

This is exactly what I was thinking. If we didn't match 2 years at $10m then the FO and the coaching staff must have either felt that a) William Gay was a more than adequate replacement or b) that BMac wasn't as well thought of as we thought.

I think we would like to have kept him but BMac wanted a shorter deal so he could get another pay day.. smart move by him IMO...

He was never going to be a Rod Woodsen here as long as Ike is on the other side....
Our D is too good for a #2-#3CB to show he is a lock down corner..

if our CB's bumped and pressed in man to man Bmac would have got 30 to 40 mill...

steelz09
03-09-2009, 02:41 PM
I'm disappointed with our FO not matching that deal. I mean, give him that 2 year deal, if he outplays it, let him go get his payday in 2 years somewhere else. In the meantime, develop some youth at the position and give us the flexibility of drafting DL and OL.

Dumb move by our FO. That deal was very reasonable.

feltdizz
03-09-2009, 03:27 PM
I'm disappointed with our FO not matching that deal. I mean, give him that 2 year deal, if he outplays it, let him go get his payday in 2 years somewhere else. In the meantime, develop some youth at the position and give us the flexibility of drafting DL and OL.

iI think the Steelers are right..

Bmac isn't worth 5 mill a year... we don't run the type of D where our 2nd and 3rd CB's are franchised or lock down.. just smart and disciplined.

ANPSTEEL
03-09-2009, 03:37 PM
it wasn't a bad deal for either side.

it is, in effect, a 1 year deal for $5 mm-

the $5 million guaranteed means-

- if Bmac grossly under performs, the cardinals cut him with no hit
- if he significantly outperforms the contract, the cardinals extend him prior to becoming a free agent.

- the only real risk to mcfadden is if he gets injured and is unable to showcase his abilities to other teams. Of course, this is a risk to every player, as nfl contracts are not guaranteed.

steelz09
03-09-2009, 04:16 PM

iI think the Steelers are right..

Bmac isn't worth 5 mill a year... we don't run the type of D where our 2nd and 3rd CB's are franchised or lock down.. just smart and disciplined.

I disagree - I think he is worth 5mil/year but the FO must think differently. Without a good 2nd and 3rd CB's, we probably don't beat the Cardinals in the Super Bowl or any team that has speedy weapons (i.e. The Colts, Patriots, and Arizona). Bmac closes well on come-back and curl routes and also has the speed to matchup downfield. He is also a solid tackler.

Also, give our pass rush credit too. You'd appreciate bmac a lot more if we didn't have the successful pash rush that we have. bmac is the second most athletically gifted CB on this team behind Ike. Also, why spend a 2nd round pick on guys like that if you just let them walk....

This is just a poor FO move.

ikestops85
03-09-2009, 05:11 PM

you are correct. However I think the way we have been operating regarding OL drafts and bringing in uglies has been successful... and when I say successful I mean the last team standing with the trophie 2 of the last 4 years..

I understand fans want the best OL in football.. but if you look at the best/better OL's in football you will see those teams have much bigger problems..

every team that has won a SB has had a weakness... our GM has picked his poison and it has paid of well...

Also.. "we have won 2 SB's in 4 years and that is great but..." is hilarious.. what fans get to say that so nonchalantly?

Okay then, we have no weaknesses. In fact we don't even need to draft. When it's our turn on the clock we can just let the time expire. We are good to go for next year. After all, we don't need any new players. We have won 2 of the last 4 Super Bowls. :roll:

So what do you want to talk about? Did you see "Watchmen" over the weekend? :wink:

SteelerOfDeVille
03-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Looks like CB moves up on our priorty list... I'm thinking 3rd round, AT THE LATEST, now.

steeler_george
03-09-2009, 05:40 PM
My thoughts on BMac his time here.

1. At best a solid #2 CB. Was he a product of a fierce pass rush? Great safety help?

2. Injure prone, has he ever finished a season with out an injury or missed games?

3. Gay played just as well, younger and cheaper.

4. Biggest play in his career was that knock down versus Indy. That was his rookie year, and only took him 4 years to win the starting job from Townsend. He never lived up to his perceived potential.

5. That 5 Million can be used on actually get us something more valuable in FA. A starting RG, a 3rd WR to compete with Sweed, a back up CB, DL, OL, or S.

RuthlessBurgher
03-09-2009, 07:46 PM
My thoughts on BMac his time here.

1. At best a solid #2 CB. Was he a product of a fierce pass rush? Great safety help?

2. Injure prone, has he ever finished a season with out an injury or missed games?

3. Gay played just as well, younger and cheaper.

4. Biggest play in his career was that knock down versus Indy. That was his rookie year, and only took him 4 years to win the starting job from Townsend. He never lived up to his perceived potential.

5. That 5 Million can be used on actually get us something more valuable in FA. A starting RG, a 3rd WR to compete with Sweed, a back up CB, DL, OL, or S.

They could use some the money they considered paying BMac, and use it to put together a reasonable offer to retain Leftwich as a backup, since it appears that none of the teams that plan to have open QB competitions in camp are beating down his door in free agency (surprisingly). That, and maybe a veteran WR to compete with Sweed for the #3 WR role.

feltdizz
03-10-2009, 10:03 AM

Okay then, we have no weaknesses. In fact we don't even need to draft. When it's our turn on the clock we can just let the time expire. We are good to go for next year. After all, we don't need any new players. We have won 2 of the last 4 Super Bowls. :roll:

So what do you want to talk about? Did you see "Watchmen" over the weekend? :wink:

no problem discussing options... but when people say Colbert "dropped the ball..."
or say..."other teams who are successful" I find it funny.

and no I haven't seen Watchmen yet.. I live in NYC and tickets are 12.50..
so why not spend an extra 4 bucks to see it in IMAX? I'll try this weekend.. :wink:

RuthlessBurgher
03-10-2009, 10:09 AM
Ooh...IMAX. I have yet to see a major motion picture in IMAX. I enjoy the nature documentaries at science museums, though.

feltdizz
03-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Ooh...IMAX. I have yet to see a major motion picture in IMAX. I enjoy the nature documentaries at science museums, though.

It's not like the science museum IMAX screens though...but the screen is huge.
they had an Under the Ocean preview that was ridiculous.. looked like an LCD HD aquarium.

The Star Trek preview was off the hook..
and I saw the Watchmen Preview and said I will never see a movie on a regular screen unless it's some indie art film..

yeah I watch those too...

wish I could see the Dark Night in IMAX but the wait was too long. That movie was off the hook.