PDA

View Full Version : Sign Marvel to be our RT?

toddjammin
03-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Would you guys sign Marvel Smith to a 2 year deal to be our RT if he is healthy? This would be an upgrade over Colon and would give us time to groom the young guys and draft picks?

WoodleyofTroy
03-08-2009, 04:00 PM
Yes I would. Even if he were to be a backup, saving him for the late stretch..

Mick'sTeam
03-08-2009, 04:25 PM
No I would not. I think Marvel's days of health are behind him. Even if he was signed to be a back up I'm not confident he would be healthy and available should we need him.

pittpete
03-08-2009, 04:26 PM
He will always have back troubles till the day he dies.
I say no from experience.
No,no,no way.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-08-2009, 08:18 PM
If Marvel had anything left, someone would have signed him by now.

Stick a fork in him.

Mel Blount's G
03-08-2009, 08:25 PM
Would you guys sign Marvel Smith to a 2 year deal to be our RT if he is healthy? This would be an upgrade over Colon and would give us time to groom the young guys and draft picks?
Therein lies the question. And my belief (as well as others apparently) is that he WILL NOT be healthy for any stretch of time

Chadman
03-08-2009, 11:41 PM
With so little interest in him, it might be worth offering a cheap, one year deal, where he can be a back-up. If he holds up, injury wise, then you re-sign him next season & see where it goes from there.

As it stands right now, Chadman suspects there is only 1 position on the OL that is open to a challenge- RG. Darnell Stapleton will be asked to compete with a rookie, Chadman suspects.

buckeyehoppy
03-09-2009, 12:28 AM
You simply can't trust the last two years of Marvel's career to a contract of ANY decent value.

The man has had the type of injuries you don't just come back from. Unless a miracle happens, Marvel will never play at the level he has if he is even that lucky. From the level of interest he has drawn thus far, Marvel will be lucky getting a deal ever again.

MBposter
03-09-2009, 12:31 AM
Competition would be nice. If I were a backup player and knew that Colon had
the postion I wanted, I'd be licking my chops to compete for that job.
If nothing else, we need guys to help push this offensive line.

Oviedo
03-09-2009, 08:14 AM
I'm supportive of any move that has Colon moving inside to Guard but I'm just not sure that Smith has anything left. If he does he would be a solid addition. Unfortunately I suspect the Steelers know so much about his medical history that if he could play they would be making a move. Hopefully they are just waiting for the market to dry up and will get him at a low price because I think he is a solid citizen.

steeler_george
03-09-2009, 06:14 PM
He is done being a starter.

As a back up maybe.

Chavezz
03-09-2009, 08:30 PM
With so little interest in him, it might be worth offering a cheap, one year deal, where he can be a back-up. If he holds up, injury wise, then you re-sign him next season & see where it goes from there.

As it stands right now, Chadman suspects there is only 1 position on the OL that is open to a challenge- RG. Darnell Stapleton will be asked to compete with a rookie, Chadman suspects.

Say it with me...

Kemo to RG

Stapleton/Alex Mack at LG

ANYONE ON THE RT SIDE BESIDE COLON.

I think Kemo is a natural at RG, he just doesn't seem to be able to handle the responsibilities of a LG. Stapleton being a little quicker may benefit from being able to pull a little quicker.

Alex Mack either wins the LG spot or gets used to NFL dlineman strength and game speed before taking over at C the next year.