PDA

View Full Version : off season 2009

fordfixer
03-08-2009, 12:27 AM
sucks!!!! How long till september? :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

AngryAsian
03-08-2009, 12:55 AM
I hear you on that, brother. Unlike a lot of our board brethren, I'm not a draftologist. I watch college ball and familiar with players, but to break down senarios by position is just too much for my brain to handle. I just want camp to get here.

fordfixer
03-08-2009, 12:58 AM
I hear you on that, brother. Unlike a lot of our board brethren, I'm not a draftologist. I watch college ball and familiar with players, but to break down senarios by position is just too much for my brain to handle. I just want camp to get here.
:Agree

Ozey74
03-08-2009, 09:55 AM
Yes, the offseason blows. On the plus side, fans of all other teams (besides Arizona) have an offseason that is at least 2 weeks longer than us Steeler fans!!

Jooser
03-08-2009, 10:05 AM
:Agree

I also am.... http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/losersmiley.gif

Mister Pittsburgh
03-08-2009, 11:51 AM
For me, I find it easier to get through the offseason by following the free agency, doing the mock draft thing, following the combine, pro days, draft, mini camps, then finally training camp. I am no coffer of knowledge regarding college football or college players, but looking at draft sites ranking of players helps get familiar with a lot of the players that are going to be available in the draft. I find this also helps my fimiliarity the other players on the other NFL teams because I might have seen or heard about them while glancing over these rankings and reading their scouting reports. I also look at other peoples mock drafts to see where they have guys going and you can somewhat get a feel for what round(ish) someone is likely to get drafted.

Following free agency 'loosely' also helps you see what holes other teams have. I pay attention more to the AFC and AFC North specifically. This helps you see what areas of need teams have as far as the draft and free agency goes. Who they might take. So in the first you know that in each round they pick in front of you....which this year everyone picks in front of us!!! This also can help your enjoyment of watching the draft if you do that as you see someone picking 3 picks in front of you and know they need a good player at a certain position as they cut theres or you want a guy at a position and know they are stacked at that position.

Once you draft and start looking at the roster you see where future competitions will occur in camp. From there you come to mini camp and start seeing what news leaks out about the guys you drafted. At this point I also like to hear how second year players look. Are they more advanced than the year before. Like this year I am eager to hear how the following players look:

CB Roy Lewis
CB William Gay
WR Limas Sweed
WR Martin Nance
OG Doug Legursky
OT Tony Hills
OT Jason Capizzi
RB Rashard Mendenhall
OLB Bruce Davis
S Kid from WVU...can't recall

....probably someone missed in there...but it is good to see who will be in camp.

So then you hit camp and see the battles and at this point are pretty fimiliar with everyone on the roster....Oh, I also want to see how that little CFL KR/PR/RB look.

I will tell you what though...it also helps to follow other sports and luckily Pitt is looking really good, might finally crack the Final Four. The Penguins are making a push and are 7-1 under the new head coach and just beat the Panthers to move into a 6th place tie. And I hate to admit it but I also follow the lowly Pirates and their lackluster season.

This year the offseason for us is A LOT shorter than a team that didn't make the playoffs or lost in the first round. We
got 4 months till training camp guys....hang in there!!!!

:tt2 :Beer :tt1

RuthlessBurgher
03-08-2009, 12:10 PM
You were thinking of Ryan Mundy.

Regarding the Pens, Carolina just blew out two teams on back to back nights on Friday and Saturday while the Pens were idle, pushing us back to 9th seed (tied with the Rangers, but the Rangers are considered to be 8th right now since they have played one fewer game). We are now one point ahead of Buffalo (10th), tied with NYR (8th), one point behind Carolina (7th) and Montreal (6th), and two points behind Florida (5th). This should go down to the wire. This afternoon's game with the Caps should be awesome.

Ozey74
03-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Although the offseason can be long. It's necessary because it keeps fans hungry for more. Unlike other sports, the NFL doesn't whore itself by having unnecessary long seasons and multiple games on a daily basis.

Mister Pittsburgh
03-08-2009, 12:34 PM
You were thinking of Ryan Mundy.

Regarding the Pens, Carolina just blew out two teams on back to back nights on Friday and Saturday while the Pens were idle, pushing us back to 9th seed (tied with the Rangers, but the Rangers are considered to be 8th right now since they have played one fewer game). We are now one point ahead of Buffalo (10th), tied with NYR (8th), one point behind Carolina (7th) and Montreal (6th), and two points behind Florida (5th). This should go down to the wire. This afternoon's game with the Caps should be awesome.

Damnit Carolina! Did not realize that!