PDA

View Full Version : CB dept. ~ ~

kelly
03-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Home > The Way We Hear It

~ ~ Pittsburgh
Feb. 26, 2009 - By Mike Wilkening

Market for McFadden likely will determine whether he returns to Steelers

From all indications, the market for unrestricted free-agent CB Bryant McFadden likely will tell the tale on whether he will return to the Steelers. “He is a priority, but we know we can’t keep this whole team together,” Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert said at the NFL Scouting Combine. “We understand that.” McFadden, 27, is regarded as one of the top players available at his position in free agency. McFadden, who has 18 career starts and seven interceptions in four NFL seasons, could hold appeal to teams favoring zone coverages. Should McFadden depart, third-year CB William Gay is likely to step into the starting lineup, with dependable veteran Deshea Townsend as insurance. Gay started four games last season, all when McFadden was out of the lineup with a broken arm. In 16 regular-season games he notched 41 tackles, defended seven passes and made his first career interception.

> http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Th ... e=afcnorth (http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/default.htm?mode=afcnorth)

fordfixer
03-07-2009, 11:04 PM
Welcome to the planet

Oviedo
03-08-2009, 10:42 AM
The longer Bmac waits the worse the market becomes for him. There are other guys like Patrick Surtain and Leigh Bodden that should be looked at as options.

I'd like to get Bmac back but only on the Steelers terms. Not because I think he is a great player, he is only good, but because it would mean we could ignore DB in the draft until Round 4 or later.

feltdizz
03-08-2009, 11:10 AM
The longer Bmac waits the worse the market becomes for him. There are other guys like Patrick Surtain and Leigh Bodden that should be looked at as options.

I'd like to get Bmac back but only on the Steelers terms. Not because I think he is a great player, he is only good, but because it would mean we could ignore DB in the draft until Round 4 or later.

I agree.. I like continuity...

other then Ike Taylor.. all our CB's are zone coverage CB's and I think most teams want to see CB's jamming WR's and locking them down. Not saying Bmac can't do it.. but we ask our CB's to cover area's not WR's

ANPSTEEL
03-08-2009, 12:19 PM
other then Ike Taylor.. all our CB's are zone coverage CB's and I think most teams want to see CB's jamming WR's and locking them down. Not saying Bmac can't do it.. but we ask our CB's to cover area's not WR's

this kind of assessment is very difficult to make if viewing only the networks game footage.
(obviously, the corners are off screen 75% of the time.)

having said that, i think Gay can play man coverage; or at least better than McFadden.
Which is likely why the team doesn't seem very pressed to sign him.

feltdizz
03-08-2009, 12:26 PM

this kind of assessment is very difficult to make if viewing only the networks game footage.
(obviously, the corners are off screen 75% of the time.)

having said that, i think Gay can play man coverage; or at least better than McFadden.
Which is likely why the team doesn't seem very pressed to sign him.

we pressed WR's once last year.. and paid for it.

We play our CB's 10 yards off the ball..

ANPSTEEL
03-08-2009, 01:05 PM

this is not true- you just happened to notice it against Fitz more than any other team, due to his individual ability.

lebeau had the corners up a lot more last year than in previous seasons.

feltdizz
03-08-2009, 08:35 PM

this is not true- you just happened to notice it against Fitz more than any other team, due to his individual ability.

lebeau had the corners up a lot more last year than in previous seasons.

going from 10 yards to 7 yards does not count. We did not press WR's last year.. even on 3rd and 2.. we screamed about it all season. We scream about it every season.