PDA

View Full Version : Why Bryant McFadden Needs To Return to the Pittsburgh Steele

fordfixer
03-06-2009, 11:45 PM
Why Bryant McFadden Needs To Return to the Pittsburgh Steelers
by Nick Signorelli

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1350 ... e-steelers (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/135072-why-bryant-mcfadden-needs-to-return-to-the-steelers)

Free agency is now "officially" a week old. All of the "Big Money" that was going to be spent is now gone. From this point out, only good money is going to be given.

The Pittsburgh Steelers are never going to be big players in free agency, as they have shown by only signing one player in the first week of free agency. And that player, Chris Kemoeatu, was rescued from signing with the NY Jets.

Pittsburgh had the No. 1 rated defense last year. We were No. 1 against the pass. Part of that is due to McFadden.

B-Mac has made the rounds this last week, visiting teams like the Lions and the Cardinals. But has not left any of them with a contract. It is not because he is not talented, it is because some teams view McFadden as a "system" player, that is good because of the system he is in.
Author Poll

Many people say that the reason Pittsburgh won the Super Bowl has nothing to do with Big Ben or Hines Ward or Santonio Holmes. It is all because of the D.

Although I find that statement ridiculous, if McFadden is to be re-signed, then our defense will return 100 percent in tact.

The argument against this is that William Gay did a good job replacing McFadden while he was hurt. My comment to that is, so what?

Let's be honest. I love Deshea Townsend. I think the world of him. But he is getting old and slowing down. How many years do you think he has left?

With Ike Taylor on one side, B-Mac on the other, Gay as the Nickle and Townsend as the Dime, we are looking at another year as the No. 1 team against the pass.

We'll let the LB's take care of the run.

McFadden could be a piece of the puzzle that would hurt to lose. If he is a system player, we know he fits our system perfectly.

steelz09
03-06-2009, 11:53 PM
I agree - I think it's important that we sign bmac

We are really in trouble regarding our offensive and defensive lines. Aaron Smith, Brett Keisel, Hampton, and Eason are all over 30. < --- Not good especially because we have ZERO young depth.

Hampton and Keisel will be UFA's next year. With no depth, that is a major problem.

Our o-line is still a major concern for me. I feel we have "average at best" talent at the o-line. It has been a problem for 3 years now and we've done nothing to improve it. Add to that, Starks, Colon, AND Hartwig will be UFA's next year.

Based on Starks' interview, he doesn't sound confident that he'll resign next year. Colon could also leave. That's our starting tackles GONE. Add to that, our starting center will probably not be resigned.

Our FO needs to do something or we could be in trouble. We have the skill positions locked up but if we don't get some quality depth in the trenches than we could be in serious trouble especially after next year. To many games are one and lost in the trenches for the Steelers FO to neglect those positions for all these years.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Signing BMac takes CB off of our possible "top 3 rounds" list. We will have 3 starting grade CBs under contract aged 29, 27, and 24. It will put the focus squarely on a bunch of big, fat, ugly men with each early pick.

RuthlessBurgher
03-07-2009, 06:08 PM
Signing BMac takes CB off of our possible "top 3 rounds" list. We will have 3 starting grade CBs under contract aged 29, 27, and 24. It will put the focus squarely on a bunch of big, fat, ugly men with each early pick.

I like the idea of big, fat ugly men. Wait...that didn't come out right. :P

fordfixer
03-07-2009, 10:58 PM

I like the idea of big, fat ugly men. Wait...that didn't come out right. :P

Is there something you are trying to tell us Ruth....I mean Ruthless :lol:

steeler_george
03-08-2009, 08:27 AM
I would have no problem resigning McFadden, but I don't see it as a priority. We all saw that McFadden is solid CB, but he is not a play maker !!! That is something that has been lacking from our CBs for years. We have the exact carbon copy of him in Gay.

I would rather spend the cash available under the cap on a G or T to add more depth and maybe a starter to a line that has none and an open position at RG (Stapleton).

Then spend a draft pick on CB that is a play maker not just solid. Imagine another play maker back there with Troy !!! More interceptions, more coverage sacks, more D TDs?

Oviedo
03-08-2009, 09:29 AM
I would have no problem resigning McFadden, but I don't see it as a priority. We all saw that McFadden is solid CB, but he is not a play maker !!! That is something that has been lacking from our CBs for years. We have the exact carbon copy of him in Gay.

I would rather spend the cash available under the cap on a G or T to add more depth and maybe a starter to a line that has none and an open position at RG (Stapleton).

Then spend a draft pick on CB that is a play maker not just solid. Imagine another play maker back there with Troy !!! More interceptions, more coverage sacks, more D TDs?

More important to our defense who we will have to sign in the next year or two are in order: Woodley, Harrison and Ryan Clark. All are more importnat than Bmac. Add to that the need to resign Heath Miller and I'm totally OK letting Bmac walk. There are a few serviceable CBs still out there like Bodden and Surtain and since Bmac was an every other down player I'm confidenton of them could be too.

I'm not so sure about spending a Round 1 pick on a CB given the defensive scheme we play. Our CBs are not asked to be shutdown CBs. They play off the WR and react.