PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye A. Smith

Flasteel
03-06-2009, 09:11 PM
Anthony that is. According to PFT:

ANTHONY SMITH SIGNS WITH PACKERS
Posted by Josh Alper on March 6, 2009, 7:42 p.m.
The next time Anthony Smith fails to back up one of his guarantees, it will be the Green Bay Packers who pay the price. The Packers signed the former Steelers safety, according to the Green Bay Press-Gazette. There are no details on the contractís length or financial terms.

Smith had 69 tackles and two interceptions while starting 10 games for the Steelers in 2007. Heís best known for guaranteeing a Steelers win against the then-unbeaten Patriots in Week 14 of that season, however, and playing poorly in a 34-13 Patriots victory. Smithís playing time dropped dramatically in 2008 with Ryan Clarkís return to the lineup. He made just nine tackles in 14 games and didnít see action in any of the teamís postseason games.

Smith played for Green Bayís new secondary coach Darren Perry when both were with the Steelers in 2006. The Packers started last season with Atari Bigby and Nick Collins as their starting safeties, but Bigby struggled with injuries for most of the season. He started just six games, forcing the Packers to fill in with Charlie Peprah, Aaron Rouse and Charles Woodson, who switched from cornerback.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-06-2009, 10:05 PM
Do we get any additional cap room when this sort of thing happens?

ikestops85
03-06-2009, 11:03 PM
I wish the kid all the best. Hopefully he has learned from his experiences with the steelers and makes a better impression in GB. If he gets his head on straight he could be a star in this league.

Wolfhound45
03-06-2009, 11:52 PM

Absolutely. His contract belongs to the Packers now.

Flasteel
03-06-2009, 11:56 PM

Absolutely. His contract belongs to the Packers now.

He was a free agent brother. Smith wasn't on the books for 2009 so he wouldn't have counted against our existing cap.

stlrz d
03-07-2009, 12:52 AM
I wonder if he'll take Atari Bigby's place as starter at SS?

Steel Life
03-07-2009, 01:08 AM
God - can you imagine the angst here if they play him at SS & he blossoms into the player we all thought he could be?

Mister Pittsburgh
03-07-2009, 01:48 AM
We would eat him alive if he played here. He would be so geeked up to make a big hit we would burn him deep at least 2 times.

ANPSTEEL
03-07-2009, 02:24 AM
NFC pro bowl strong safety in 2 years

stlrz d
03-07-2009, 10:54 AM
For all those who think AS is going to explode into super stardom, what exactly has he done to show that to be true?

Don't over estimate a guy just because he once wore your team's uniform.

Jooser
03-07-2009, 11:43 AM
Dude's so slow he seemed like he was running on Heinz Field all the time. :shock:

ANPSTEEL
03-07-2009, 11:47 AM

that right there, is crap.

:lol:

i was drunk when i wrote this- :nono

AS has a bunch of physical skills- i guess we'll see if he can get his head at the same level.

pittpete
03-07-2009, 12:26 PM
God - can you imagine the angst here if they play him at SS & he blossoms into the player we all thought he could be?

We allready have a SS, so God bless him :stirpot

RuthlessBurgher
03-07-2009, 01:04 PM

AS has a bunch of physical skills- i guess we'll see if he can get his head at the same level.

Rule #1: Don't drink and drive.

Rule #2: Don't drink and post on PlanetSteelers about Anthony Smith making the Pro Bowl.

:Beer

ANPSTEEL
03-07-2009, 01:54 PM

Rule #1: Don't drink and drive.

Rule #2: Don't drink and post on PlanetSteelers about Anthony Smith making the Pro Bowl.

:Beer

i've done worse, and made comments that were more stupid...

lesson #3- reserve posting from computer. posting from iphone while drunk only leads to ridicule.

:Cheers

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-07-2009, 05:45 PM

No, because he was not tendered an offer as a RFA. The only possible compensation will come next year when they award compensatory picks for FAs signed and lost this year.

Didn't realize that Perry was there. That is good for Smith who is likely being brought in as a pet project of the guy who can determine whether or not he starts.