PDA

View Full Version : Would you draft this guy #1...

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
03-06-2009, 10:42 AM
http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingr ... -Ayers.php (http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/Robert-Ayers.php)

This is my list of possible first rounders who the Steelers will pick with #32...

Probably not there list- T. Jackson LSU DE --R. Meualuga USC LB --V. Davis ILL CB
--J. MaClin MZ WR --

Others who are more probable to be there...J Peria MISS DL --A. Mack CAL C/G
--M. Unger Oregon C/G --S. Smith Utah CB --E. Britton AZ OT --D. Butler CB CONN
P. Harvin FL WR

Anyone else I am missing and would you add Ayers to that list? He is moving up on the draft boards and looks really athletic. I believe he is at Keisals weight right now at about 275.

Oviedo
03-06-2009, 10:56 AM
http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/Robert-Ayers.php

This is my list of possible first rounders who the Steelers will pick with #32...

Probably not there list- T. Jackson LSU DE --R. Meualuga USC LB --V. Davis ILL CB
--J. MaClin MZ WR --

P. Harvin FL WR

Anyone else I am missing and would you add Ayers to that list? He is moving up on the draft boards and looks really athletic. I believe he is at Keisals weight right now at about 275.

My thoughts:

T. Jackson LSU DE --in a milisecond. The best #1 we could get in this draft.
R. Meualuga USC LB--no, LB is not our Round 1 need
V. Davis ILL CB--no, CB is not our Round 1 need.
J. MaClin MZ WR--yes. Hines isn't getting any youger and this guy will be very good
J Peria MISS DL --no. don't think he fits the 3-4
A. Mack CAL C/G--yes
M. Unger Oregon C/G--yes
S. Smith Utah CB--no, he may be one of those guys too big for CB and not good enough coverage for S
E. Britton AZ OT--no. I haven't been sold on him since his name started getting mentioned. IMO one year wonder.
D. Butler CB CONN--Again, no CB in Round 1, possibly but definitely before S. Smith
P. Harvin FL WR--no. The kid is glass. He is a unique talent just not sure he can stay healthy.

Add to the list Ron Brace. I'd definitely consider him at 1.32.

WoodleyofTroy
03-06-2009, 11:18 AM
Looks more like a 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB transition player, almost exactly like a LaMarr Woodley. He would be a good value, and I'll never turn down more LB's especially when they are BPA, but I don't see him as a 3-4 DE at all.

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
03-06-2009, 11:32 AM
Looks more like a 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB transition player, almost exactly like a LaMarr Woodley. He would be a good value, and I'll never turn down more LB's especially when they are BPA, but I don't see him as a 3-4 DE at all.

Why not? I know he may be a little under weight but all he needs is a good 10 pds to be at the 282-285 mark.

RuthlessBurgher
03-06-2009, 11:34 AM

Why not? I know he may be a little under weight but all he needs is a good 10 pds to be at the 282-285 mark.

He's not going to grow the extra 2-3 inches which would make him ideal height for a 3-4 DE, though. I agree that he would be better suited as a 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB instead of a 3-4 DE.

grotonsteel
03-06-2009, 11:36 AM

--J. MaClin MZ WR --

P. Harvin FL WR

T. Jackson -- Yes. I think a top-notch DE.
R Meualuga -- Yes. BPA at 32. Farrior is getting old.
V Davis -- Yes. One can't have enough DBs.
J Maclin -- No.
J Peria -- Not fit for 3-4 D
A Mack -- Yes. Best Center.
M Unger -- No. Jack of all Master of none. I would take him in Rd 2.
S SMith -- No
E Britton -- No
Darius Butler -- Yes
P Harvin -- Hmm..if none of the above are available i would say Yes.

You need to add Duke Robinson...i would say a big YES for him.

WoodleyofTroy
03-06-2009, 11:45 AM

Not talking about his weight. He's 6'3''. I'd rather have a Fili Moala who is less of a talent overall, but a much better fit for the Steelers in the 3-4 end than a guy like Ayers. That's my point.

Northern_Blitz
03-06-2009, 12:16 PM
It's the Lions, so it'll most likely be the highest rated WR.

Snatch98
03-06-2009, 01:54 PM

--J. MaClin MZ WR --

P. Harvin FL WR

My thoughts:

J. MaClin MZ WR--yes. Hines isn't getting any youger and this guy will be very good
A. Mack CAL C/G--yes
M. Unger Oregon C/G--yes
S. Smith Utah CB--no, he may be one of those guys too big for CB and not good enough coverage for S
E. Britton AZ OT--no. I haven't been sold on him since his name started getting mentioned. IMO one year wonder.
D. Butler CB CONN--Again, no CB in Round 1, possibly but definitely before S. Smith
P. Harvin FL WR--no. The kid is glass. He is a unique talent just not sure he can stay healthy.

How can you say that CB isn't a potential round 1 need? If the talent is there it's most definitely a option if we lose McFadden and I think we're going to, if we don't well then I agree with your assessment.

stlrz d
03-06-2009, 01:56 PM
It's the Lions, so it'll most likely be the highest rated WR.

This joke was only funny when Matt Millen was there. ;)

Oviedo
03-06-2009, 02:02 PM

--J. MaClin MZ WR --

P. Harvin FL WR

My thoughts:

A. Mack CAL C/G--yes
M. Unger Oregon C/G--yes

How can you say that CB isn't a potential round 1 need? If the talent is there it's most definitely a option if we lose McFadden and I think we're going to, if we don't well then I agree with your assessment.

PRIORITY! Why do you think you need to spent a first round pick to replace player who was a second round pick and was not even a full time starter? Plus you already have a player on the roster who played very well in the departing players absence due to injury and even when the departing player was healthy played 50% of the snaps.

CB IS NOT a higher priority in Round 1 than OL or DL and just to :stirpot I'd say possibly WR with Nate leaving and Hines getting older and more susceptible to injury.

We have a more proven solution at CB with Gay and Townsend than we may at WR with Sweed.

Snatch98
03-06-2009, 04:08 PM
They will draft BPA and if Corner is BPA that's the route they'll go. Townsend is a savvy veteran but he's getting up there which leaves us with Ike and Gay. The Steelers typically draft and let the player learn the system before throwing them on the field anyway. Timmons is a prime example of this and Woodley didn't see extended time until this season. If a top corner falls you can bet your ass he'll be heavily considered especially after we missed out on Revis. There are a lot of o-line d-line prospects that can be had in the 2nd and 3rd round. I can't say that I want a corner but you can't say the Steelers won't draft one in round one either.

johnstownsteel
03-06-2009, 07:22 PM
i know lb isn't our BIGGEST need right now but i really don't understand how many are so quick to dismiss the possibility of going there early. look...we are always competitive because our front office builds for the future...not just the upcoming season. big picture is always in mind. how long is farrior gonna be around and if he is how productive will he be? foote? he's another question mark. where's he gonna be playing after next year? harrison? contract aside, he ain't exactly a spring chicken and will he and his agent take saving the bank for our steelers?

there's 3 spots right there that are question marks. not good for a defense predicated on strong linebacker play. i won't be surprised if we go there early. and if r. maulaga is in reach, no doubt it would be tempting not to try and get him.

steeler_george
03-07-2009, 06:31 AM
What we actually need from this draft for this year is depth, especially the OL, DL, DB, and WR. In addition to for depth we need projected future starters with big potential, and key reserves.

OL - question.. who is back up C/G/T....?

DL- Key is A.Smith to stay healthy...reserves were ok by the old dudes, but no potential there as a projected starter, key reserve.

DB- IKE, Gay, Townsend...Need a play maker there and if one is out who steps up and plays the nickle? Towsend older not superman. S no real depth...Carter?

WR- Ward, Holmes, Sweed....need competiton for 3rd WR and a 4th

As you see all are priorities going in the draft.

steelblood
03-07-2009, 03:56 PM
Unger is weak and has a poor upper body. He was exposed at the Senior Bowl practices, I thought. He was physically outmatched by the two DTs from Boston College. Ngata would destroy him. I much prefer Mack and would not draft Unger until the third round.

Britton would be very good. I'd trade up for him. He could play RT right away and is a very good run blocker. I'd trade up to pick 25 or so for him, if he is still there.

Butler is a high on my list as well. He'd fit in from day one and play on all special teams units while he learned the D early in the season.

Percy Harvin would be a risky pick, but he could develop into a great receiver and replacement for Hines. He'd instantly be a great gadget play guy, 4th receiver, and return man.