PDA

View Full Version : the immovable objects

steelcityrules!!
03-06-2009, 12:09 AM
just to throw this out there, for all of you stiller fans who prefer that we return to our dominant ground game and keep our defensive line built like a brick S-house...

what kind of reaction would we see if the FO decided to go not only beef, but jumbo porterhouse on day 1?

#32- Alex Mack, no need to explain. consensus pick on many boards. a potential anchor up front, webster-esque.

#64- Jarron Gilbert, big upside as a D-end in our system... and doesn't have to play more than situational for a few years.

#96A-Herman Johnson, 6'8" and a whopping 382lbs. imagine seeing this guy barreling down at you, then rashard darts inside and tears up the secondary for 18 yards?

#96B-Terrance Taylor, 6' 319lbs. I've had my eye on this guy to back up hampton for a month or so. With so few real needs, I feel we could take a guy like this and breathe easier if big snack keeps showing up to camp unable to jog.

It sure would be interesting to see this kind of group walk into the training facility for mini-camp.

AkronSteel
03-06-2009, 12:13 AM
:Bow

I would take that draft in a second! That would be a very good first three rounds! I would be very excited if that was our haul in April and those guys were reporting for mini-camp in May!

Djfan
03-06-2009, 12:17 AM
382! He would make Hampton look like Sproules!

RuthlessBurgher
03-06-2009, 10:38 AM
I would like that berry, berry much.

I chose Mack and Gilbert in my own mock, so we are on the same wavelength there. I took Sammie Lee Hill from Stillman as the NT in my mock, but Taylor from Michigan would be acceptable to me as well. The only question I have is about Herman Johnson. I don't see any realistic way he lasts until the 96th pick in the draft. He is a massive human being (he was even a 15+ pound baby, a record for birth weight in Louisiana), and I imagine that someone will take a flyer on him in the second round or early third at the latest. Perhaps he falls if folks are worried about him blowing up to over 400 lbs. (plus the fact that such a big guy only put up 21 reps at the combine...although that is somewhat exusable by the fact that he had the longest arms by a wide margin...36.5", over 4" longer than some other guards at the combine), but I doubt that it happens. The other 3 picks are realistic, though, and I would be dancing in the streets if it went down like this.

AngryAsian
03-06-2009, 10:56 AM
To me Mack and Unger... I'd be stoked and Gilbert appears to be the stud that a lot of people are watching. I feel that our skill positions are very loaded and once we resolve the JH issue this off-season, we'll be set in all the areas except the trenches. If this is the draft we go big and ugly then I will be very happy. A couple of seasons before the ones we draft this year get fully integrated into the lineup. We just need depth in the trenches. Far too long we've neglected the greatest part of fundamental football. Hope we get back to the basics and build a line for the future... on both sides.

Oviedo
03-06-2009, 11:33 AM
I would take that draft. I do think there will be a run on NTs so getting Taylor at 3b may be a challenge.

grotonsteel
03-06-2009, 11:39 AM
Good one. Well with that Draft Steelers will be younger and bigger in the trenches.

Discipline of Steel
03-06-2009, 11:45 AM
just to throw this out there, for all of you stiller fans who prefer that we return to our dominant ground game and keep our defensive line built like a brick S-house...

what kind of reaction would we see if the FO decided to go not only beef, but jumbo porterhouse on day 1?

#32- Alex Mack, no need to explain. consensus pick on many boards. a potential anchor up front, webster-esque.

#64- Jarron Gilbert, big upside as a D-end in our system... and doesn't have to play more than situational for a few years.

#96A-Herman Johnson, 6'8" and a whopping 382lbs. imagine seeing this guy barreling (lumbering?) down at you, then rashard darts inside and tears up the secondary for 18 yards?

#96B-Terrance Taylor, 6' 319lbs. I've had my eye on this guy to back up hampton for a month or so. With so few real needs, I feel we could take a guy like this and breathe easier if big snack keeps showing up to camp unable to jog.

It sure would be interesting to see this kind of group walk into the training facility for mini-camp.

Why isnt this guy a NT?

RuthlessBurgher
03-06-2009, 11:48 AM
[quote="steelcityrules!!":19tf80zg]just to throw this out there, for all of you stiller fans who prefer that we return to our dominant ground game and keep our defensive line built like a brick S-house...

#96A-Herman Johnson, 6'8" and a whopping 382lbs. imagine seeing this guy barreling (lumbering?) down at you, then rashard darts inside and tears up the secondary for 18 yards?

Why isnt this guy a NT?[/quote:19tf80zg]

Well, for one thing, he is 6'8". You would prefer a NT to be in the 6'0"-6'2" range, ideally.

Oviedo
03-06-2009, 11:55 AM
The concern about Herman Johnson is that he may well eat himself out of the league. Carrying that much weight just seems to be the road to early back or knee problems.

I'd really like to see us get Kraig Urbik but that would probably have to happen at 2.64.

Here is a question: Would you take Gilbert at 1.32 if Mack is gone, which he is likely to be? Good chance if he keeps rising that Gilbert does not last til 2.64.

MaxAMillion
03-06-2009, 02:11 PM
The concern about Herman Johnson is that he may well eat himself out of the league. Carrying that much weight just seems to be the road to early back or knee problems.

I'd really like to see us get Kraig Urbik but that would probably have to happen at 2.64.

Here is a question: Would you take Gilbert at 1.32 if Mack is gone, which he is likely to be? Good chance if he keeps rising that Gilbert does not last til 2.64.

Johnson also did not do that well when he went to bench press. A guy that size should be stronger than he showed at the combine.

I would prefer to see the Steelers take a corner in round 1. I think the Ravens and Dolphins are out of the Center market for the first two rounds. The Steelers could draft a corner in round 1 and still get a legitimate center in round 2. The difference between Mack and Wood or Luigs is not that great. Centers normally get passed over in round 1 because you can find guys to play those positions in later rounds.

There is more value in taking a corner, or even a guy like Smith from utah (CB/S) in round 1 and then following up with a Center in round 2.

Oviedo
03-06-2009, 02:21 PM
Recent text from another on line source. No real surprises.

TEAM NEEDS

1. Offensive linemen: While they kept Starks, Kemoeatu and tendered Colon, they have little depth and no one to push their starters. Resigning UFA Trai Essex, who can play tackle and guard, would help.

2. Defensive linemen: They have good players, better than most, but they're also getting old. Five of their top six defensive linemen are over 30.

3. Wide receivers: Losing UFA Nate Washington to the Titans means they have two experienced players at the position, Santonio Holmes and Hines Ward, who turns 33 in March. Limas Sweed, who played little as a rookie, moves up to No. 3.

Note the comment about WR being a position of need. I agree. You need 4. If someone like Derrick Williams is still around at 2.64 I would not be surprised to see us grab him.

RuthlessBurgher
03-06-2009, 02:29 PM

Johnson also did not do that well when he went to bench press. A guy that size should be stronger than he showed at the combine.

I would prefer to see the Steelers take a corner in round 1. I think the Ravens and Dolphins are out of the Center market for the first two rounds. The Steelers could draft a corner in round 1 and still get a legitimate center in round 2. The difference between Mack and Wood or Luigs is not that great. Centers normally get passed over in round 1 because you can find guys to play those positions in later rounds.

There is more value in taking a corner, or even a guy like Smith from utah (CB/S) in round 1 and then following up with a Center in round 2.

A.Q. Shipley had the shortest arms of all of the o-linemen at the combine (29 3/4") and he did an impressive 33 bench press reps.

Herman Johnson had the longest arms of all of the o-linemen at the combine (36 1/2") and he did a disappointing 21 bench press reps.

Keep in mind, however:

When doing the bench press, short arms are a benefit, and long arms are a detriment.

When trying to block a d-lineman, long arms are a benefit, and short arms are a detriment.

Don't put too much stock into raw numbers at the combine. Watch the game tape. When the season ended and all we had was tape of actual football games and no combine numbers, Duke Robinson was touted as a potential first round guard, Herman Johnson was touted as a potential second round guard, and all other guards were likely day two material.

ramblinjim
03-06-2009, 05:16 PM
[quote="steelcityrules!!":1ab4mcrh]just to throw this out there, for all of you stiller fans who prefer that we return to our dominant ground game and keep our defensive line built like a brick S-house...

Why isnt this guy a NT?

Well, for one thing, he is 6'8". You would prefer a NT to be in the 6'0"-6'2" range, ideally.[/quote:1ab4mcrh]

the fact that a 6'8" 380 pound dude can even get in a three point stance is amazing. Good Lord what a big dude.

steelblood
03-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Yes Herman Johnson is 382. But, he is also 6'8" and does not have the fluidity of movement to play tackle. He is too tall for a guard. If you've watched him play, he comes out of his stance high and just leans on his man. He is not good at getting leverage and big, stout NTs and DTs will push him back. He is a freak of nature, but I don't think he'll be a great NFL player.

steelcityrules!!
03-06-2009, 09:02 PM
while sitting at work today, reflecting on this 1200 + lbs of day one mock draft, I came back down to reality.

The steelers could realistically take one or two of those guys, but I think a guy like johnson will #1, go before #96... and could be a boom/bust selection.

as one of you noted, CB is a concern. We could move up in the first.

I think a day one even similar to this would raise some serious eyebrows around the league, putting so much big, powerful, young talent on our lines might just make the rest of the AFC norris division crap their pants.

thanks for all the comments

Steel Life
03-07-2009, 01:44 AM
Considering your suggested draft...

#32- Alex Mack - Agreed, this is the guy to build our line around for the next decade.

#64- Jarron Gilbert - Agreed here too, could this guy be the force our line needs?

#96A-Herman Johnson - No, I'd rather have Fenuki Tupou (OT, Oregon)

#96B-Terrance Taylor - This guy to me is a DND, give me Dorell Scott (DT, Clemson) instead.