PDA

View Full Version : No news good news with McFadden

fordfixer
03-05-2009, 02:46 AM
Wednesday, March 04, 2009
No news good news with McFadden

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

As we get deeper into the free agency period, nothing has happened to date with Steelers cornerback Bryant McFadden.

And in this case, no news is good news.

McFadden was in Arizona early this week, but has not come to a contract agreement with the Cardinals.

The longer he waits, fewer jobs there are available out there.

That said, I still don't expect to see McFadden back in Pittsburgh unless the Steelers are willing to do something drastic, such as release veteran cornerback Deshea Townsend.

But releasing Townsend would be a very unpopular move in the locker room, where he is one of the leaders.

It would also be very non-Steelers-like.

They just don't have a ton of cap space and unless McFadden is willing to accept something less than what he could get elsewhere - as guard Chris Kemoeatu did he won't be back.
Posted by Dale Lolley at 12:41 AM 24 comments Links to this post

Oviedo
03-05-2009, 08:44 AM
I hope that starting next week the Steelers have guys like Leigh Bodden come in for a "visit" to put some pressure on McFadden.

Bmac is not the legend that Rosenhaus has created in his own mind. The guy was essentially a two down player rotating with Gay. Bodden or Patrick Surtain could do the same thing.

frankthetank1
03-05-2009, 08:47 AM
I hope that starting next week the Steelers have guys like Leigh Bodden come in for a "visit" to put some pressure on McFadden.

Bmac is not the legend that Rosenhaus has created in his own mind. The guy was essentially a two down player rotating with Gay. Bodden or Patrick Surtain could do the same thing.

bodden is decent. i would love to see the steelers take a look at bodden. he wouldnt cost all that much. i could care less if they lose bmac. they shouldnt spend a lot of money on him. they need to wrap harrison up and woodley eventually.

Oviedo
03-05-2009, 09:10 AM

bodden is decent. i would love to see the steelers take a look at bodden. he wouldnt cost all that much. i could care less if they lose bmac. they shouldnt spend a lot of money on him. they need to wrap harrison up and woodley eventually.

Free Agency priorities should be, in order: Woodley, Harrison, Miller, Holmes, Bmac. There may be even other players that are a higher priority than BMac.

It may be a shocker but IMO Wodley is going to have a monster season next year and will command much more interest and value than Harrison. The Steelers have all the advantages dealing with Harrison because of his age and the ability to franchise him next year. Not so with Woodley. They need to extend Woodley this summer.

Iron Shiek
03-05-2009, 09:22 AM
Trying to look at it from the player's perspective...

Which situation outweighs the other: The need for a young player to get a long term deal in place right away or waiting it out for an even bigger payday?

In Woodley's case, I'm sure he knows he is a beast and practically unblockable and he is pretty confident, I'd imagine, that he is going to have a monster year. So if he waits it out, he can ask for a huge payday. On the other hand, he risks injury and can secure his future by getting to a long term deal, but sacrificing some cash.

I don't know how agents/players look at this...anyone?

Oviedo
03-05-2009, 10:43 AM

Which situation outweighs the other: The need for a young player to get a long term deal in place right away or waiting it out for an even bigger payday?

In Woodley's case, I'm sure he knows he is a beast and practically unblockable and he is pretty confident, I'd imagine, that he is going to have a monster year. So if he waits it out, he can ask for a huge payday. On the other hand, he risks injury and can secure his future by getting to a long term deal, but sacrificing some cash.

Agents do a typical Risk/Reward analysis. In general current money is always worth more than future money, particularly in a business where you are one injury away from irrelavance. I think if the Steelers offered between $5-6M with a nice guaranteed amount he would sign without question. Something like 5 years/$28-32M with $15M guaranteed. I think it is really now more about the amount of "guaranteed" versus yearly salary or total.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-05-2009, 10:58 AM
That said, I still don't expect to see McFadden back in Pittsburgh unless the Steelers are willing to do something drastic, such as release veteran cornerback Deshea Townsend.

But releasing Townsend would be a very unpopular move in the locker room, where he is one of the leaders.

It may be a difficult decision, but it is probably the right thing to do at this time if we bring back McFadden.

We know that Ike is our #1 CB. Bringing back BMac gives him the inside track at #2. That leaves Gay and Deshea battling it out for the nickel slot. Gay's salary is $460K this year. DT's is $1.8M. That is way too much for a guy who will potentially be our #4 CB. If he does beat out Gay, that stalls Gay's growth and potential for another year. If the team thinks that WG can advance to a starter's role within a few years, then he should be no lower than the nickel corner this season.

Ideally, Deshea retires and comes in as assistant to the assistant DB coach.

Oviedo
03-05-2009, 11:02 AM

It may be a difficult decision, but it is probably the right thing to do at this time if we bring back McFadden.

We know that Ike is our #1 CB. Bringing back BMac gives him the inside track at #2. That leaves Gay and Deshea battling it out for the nickel slot. Gay's salary is $460K this year. DT's is $1.8M. That is way too much for a guy who will potentially be our #4 CB. If he does beat out Gay, that stalls Gay's growth and potential for another year. If the team thinks that WG can advance to a starter's role within a few years, then he should be no lower than the nickel corner this season.

I think you keep DT because he could also double as a back up free safety while guys like Roy Lewis and Ryan Mundy get their feet under them. Positional flexibility is key and we saw how things are when Ryan Clark is out of the line up. Tyrone Carter and Anthony "one brain cell" Smith are both out IMO.

DT's knowledge of the defense would be invaluable breaking in young DBs particularly if we draft one this year.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-05-2009, 11:21 AM

I think you keep DT because he could also double as a back up free safety while guys like Roy Lewis and Ryan Mundy get their feet under them. Positional flexibility is key and we saw how things are when Ryan Clark is out of the line up. Tyrone Carter and Anthony "one brain cell" Smith are both out IMO.

DT's knowledge of the defense would be invaluable breaking in young DBs particularly if we draft one this year.

Don't get me wrong, I like DT and would take him back, but I also think that he could be that "one man too many" in a crowded backfield. There are others who we need to see get on the field to prepare for the future. If we re-sign McFadden or pick a CB in the first two rounds of the draft then DT would be keeping someone too far away from the field. Otherwise I'm happy with him staying.

As far as the idea of moving him to FS goes, has he ever played there? I don't recall him ever playing safety, and to me it sounds too much like the whole "Colon is our future RG" thing. The fans keep talking about it and assuming that it will happen, but there is nothing from the organization to indicate that it is even a thought. I don't like the idea of him playing safety. FS is often manned up with either a TE or a speedy third receiver. Both not great matchups. In zone he would be a centerfielder laying the crunching hit to the guy crossing the middle. Also what I would consider a great matchup. To me 34 years old, 5' 10", 190 is not your ideal FS. I would rather see what Lewis can show us as the hybrid CB/FS. Lewis is the same size, but younger and more athletic.

RuthlessBurgher
03-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Free Agency priorities should be, in order: Woodley, Harrison, Miller, Holmes, Bmac. There may be even other players that are a higher priority than BMac.

It may be a shocker but IMO Wodley is going to have a monster season next year and will command much more interest and value than Harrison. The Steelers have all the advantages dealing with Harrison because of his age and the ability to franchise him next year. Not so with Woodley. They need to extend Woodley this summer.

Woodley signed a 4 year rookie deal worth $3,600,000 and a signing bonus of $1,865,000 in '07. He's played 2 years and has 2 years to go. The Steelers have never signed anyone but a QB to an extension with more than one year to go on their current contract, and I wouldn't expect them to start now. Other teams like the Eagles have made a practices of locking up promising players to long term deals while they still have multiple years left on their rookie contract, but when we are already in a pinch financially at the moment, why would you voluntarily choose to exponentially boost the salary of player with a base salary of $460,000 in '09 and $550,000 in '10 (plus the pro-rated portion of his signing bonus counted against the cap, which is $466,250 per year)? You might as well take advantage of these years where you have him under contract at a bargain price. Plus, in 2011, he would only be a restricted free agent, and we can just give him the highest tender that would require 1st and 3rd round compensation if we chose not to match a long-term deal from another team (this year, that tender was $2,792,000). And, if we are not able to sign him to a long term deal by then, you could always franchise him when he finally becomes a UFA in 2012 (this year, the franchise tag for LB's was $8,304,000). Why are you worried so much about extending Woodley now, when it seems like we should be able to hold onto him for another 4 seasons without much of an issue?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-05-2009, 02:39 PM

Agents do a typical Risk/Reward analysis. In general current money is always worth more than future money, particularly in a business where you are one injury away from irrelavance. I think if the Steelers offered between $5-6M with a nice guaranteed amount he would sign without question. Something like 5 years/$28-32M with $15M guaranteed. I think it is really now more about the amount of "guaranteed" versus yearly salary or total.

Plus, Woodley is two years away from FA, not one. Getting his payday this soon would be a huge incentive.

Oviedo
03-05-2009, 03:10 PM

Woodley signed a 4 year rookie deal worth $3,600,000 and a signing bonus of $1,865,000 in '07. He's played 2 years and has 2 years to go. The Steelers have never signed anyone but a QB to an extension with more than one year to go on their current contract, and I wouldn't expect them to start now. Other teams like the Eagles have made a practices of locking up promising players to long term deals while they still have multiple years left on their rookie contract, but when we are already in a pinch financially at the moment, why would you voluntarily choose to exponentially boost the salary of player with a base salary of $460,000 in '09 and $550,000 in '10 (plus the pro-rated portion of his signing bonus counted against the cap, which is $466,250 per year)? You might as well take advantage of these years where you have him under contract at a bargain price. Plus, in 2011, he would only be a restricted free agent, and we can just give him the highest tender that would require 1st and 3rd round compensation if we chose not to match a long-term deal from another team (this year, that tender was $2,792,000). And, if we are not able to sign him to a long term deal by then, you could always franchise him when he finally becomes a UFA in 2012 (this year, the franchise tag for LB's was $8,304,000). Why are you worried so much about extending Woodley now, when it seems like we should be able to hold onto him for another 4 seasons without much of an issue?

I advocate now because I think he is going to be a star player and if there is a new CBA we have no idea what will be in it. We know what the battlefield is now but we don't know what the new CBA terms will be. In a potential uncapped era I'd like to lock up youngtalent potentially on the cheap long term. We could be entering an era in the NFL similar to MLB where you have to lock up young stars earlier to keep them longer.

RuthlessBurgher
03-05-2009, 03:20 PM

I advocate now because I think he is going to be a star player and if there is a new CBA we have no idea what will be in it. We know what the battlefield is now but we don't know what the new CBA terms will be. In a potential uncapped era I'd like to lock up youngtalent potentially on the cheap long term. We could be entering an era in the NFL similar to MLB where you have to lock up young stars earlier to keep them longer.

I believe if no CBA deal is reached, and we go into uncapped years, young guys like Woodley have to wait even longer to become unrestricted free agents (something like at least six accrued seasons would be needed instead of the usual four).

calmkiller
03-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Woodley won't be able to become a free agent after his current contract is up because he won't have the needed years as a pro to become on, he will be a RFA, unless they redo the CBA.

ikestops85
03-05-2009, 03:25 PM
[quote="Iron Shiek":zmvmnd6h]Trying to look at it from the player's perspective...

Plus, Woodley is two years away from FA, not one. Getting his payday this soon would be a huge incentive.[/quote:zmvmnd6h]

Also, I think the rules change in 2010 that you have to be a 6 year vet before you are eligible for free agency. I'm not sure how that would affect Woodley since he is under contract throught the 2010 season. Just another angle to look at.

Damn, it took me too long to type this. Sorry for the repeat info.

WoodleyofTroy
03-05-2009, 06:17 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to keep franchising James Harrison the next 2 seasons like the Ravens continue to do with Suggs. Then after that, with his age, he won't expect too big of a deal.

Only problem is, how can you pay him what's he expected to make this year? Can the Steelers throw some money at him under the table or something lol? No way should he play for that. Just a slap in the face in my opinion.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-05-2009, 06:25 PM
Arizona is now talking contract with McFadden's agent, per KFFL.

aggiebones
03-05-2009, 06:30 PM
We can keep him longer with a franchise tag. We have other problems to address now. Woodley can wait.
We keep Bmac at the right price only. DT stays with Ike. Gay can replace BMac's worth. If BMac comes back, then we transition DT out as the season progresses or slide him FS way. If BMac goes, Gay moves up and we use another 4th rounder type pick to replace that lower slot on the CB ladder.