PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys release Terrell Owens.

WoodleyofTroy
03-05-2009, 01:11 AM
ESPNews reports that the Cowboys have released Terrell Owens.

And somebody better get him before the Ravens do. With Ray Lewis in that locker room, you know Ozzie Newsome will be drooling over the fact that he can make this work. He tried getting him before, he'll do it again.

And in my opinion, this would make them contenders again.

RuthlessBurgher
03-05-2009, 01:34 AM
Can he play center? (I apologize...it is a reflex at this point) :lol:

WoodleyofTroy
03-05-2009, 01:46 AM
Or I should say any AFC team contender for that matter. I can see the Titans, Chargers, Broncos (Josh McDaniels), and the Jaguars thinking they can do what the Patriots did with Moss, putting each one of those teams over the hump.

Stay in the NFC please.

Or just go to the Raiders.

SidSmythe
03-05-2009, 01:47 AM
Owens would make a perfect Patriot. He and Moss would be fist fighting mid-field by week 3.

Mel Blount's G
03-05-2009, 01:48 AM

And somebody better get him before the Ravens do. With Ray Lewis in that locker room, you know Ozzie Newsome will be drooling over the fact that he can make this work. He tried getting him before, he'll do it again.

Disagree. He won't make them a contender. Matt Birk has a better chance of doing that. TO's a cancer concerned with himself. His ego was too big for the cowgirls. What does THAT tell you? Sophmore HC and and ray lewis won't change that at all. TO will be dissing harbuagh in the media before the season is half done. Probably trash flacco too.

steelafornia
03-05-2009, 02:02 AM
hopefully his agent drew pays attention to T.O. now and brushes off BMAC for a cheap contract for us :lol: :lol:

Mister Pittsburgh
03-05-2009, 02:33 AM
I will be the first.....'why don't we offer him Nates vacancy for 1 million for this season'. Sandwich his locker in between James Harrison & Lamar Woodleys. If he starts running his mouth in an interview, or in general, they can knock him out. :Beer

Jom112
03-05-2009, 03:08 AM
Hmmm. Interesting timing for the release.

I wonder if the Cowboys will be looking to trade for a certain receiver in stripes...

AngryAsian
03-05-2009, 07:45 AM
The details per NFL.COM:

IRVING, Texas -- Terrell Owens' days in Dallas are done, according to multiple reports.

ESPN, The Dallas Morning News and The Ft. Worth Star-Telegram, among others, cited sources Wednesday night in saying that the Cowboys have decided to cut the receiver, ridding them of a big locker-room distraction but also absorbing a big hit on their salary cap.

The team did not immediately have a comment. A spokesman for Owens said he hadn't heard the news, and that Owens was traveling and could not immediately be reached. His agent, Drew Rosenhaus, also did not immediately return a call.

Just a few weeks ago, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones indicated that T.O. was staying when he said, "You and I both know that the one that you're asking about all the time, if I gave you the answer that you want to hear, then you would've already had it. So the fact you don't have it ought to tell you something. It really should."

Jones seemed to enjoy the publicity Owens stirred up as much as the touchdowns he scored. However, there were several in-house issues involving Owens that may have ultimately prompted Jones to decide the receiver wasn't worth the trouble he caused.

In January, NFL Network analyst Michael Lombardi reported the Cowboys were considering cutting Owens. The receiver was slated to carry a 2009 salary-cap number of $8.995 million. By releasing him before June, his 2009 salary-cap charge to Dallas accelerates to $9.675 million.

His absence means one less high-profile player to open the Cowboys' new, $1.1 billion stadium, and fewer No. 81 jerseys to sell.

While Tony Romo also will be without the recipient of most his touchdown passes, he also will no longer have to make sure T.O. has enough passes his way to make him happy. Whether that was perception or reality will no longer matter either.

The Cowboys went 31-17 in Owens' three seasons, but 0-2 in the playoffs.

Jones essentially forced Owens on then-coach Bill Parcells, a relationship underscored by Parcells referring to Owens as "the player." Owens drew attention to himself during training camp by dressing up as a pro cyclist while riding a stationary bike, then had an accidental overdose early that season.

Yet when Parcells turned to unproven Romo midway through that season, Owens sparkled. They kept it up the next season, leading the Cowboys to all sorts of club records on their way to a 13-3 season and a division title. The Cowboys lost their first playoff game, days after Romo and others went on a trip to Mexico, and Owens tearfully defended Romo, saying, "That's my quarterback."

Owens got a new contract last summer, a four-year, $34 million deal that included a $12 million bonus.

Where might he end up next?

He's not likely to return to San Francisco or Philadelphia, the other places he wore out his welcome. Then again, it seemed unlikely he would come to Dallas after having offended Cowboys fans by celebrating on the team's star logo while playing for the 49ers.

Don't expect him in Miami, not as long as Parcells is in charge. And perhaps also count out Kansas City because new coach Todd Haley and Owens hardly got along when Haley was Dallas' offensive coordinator.

The Cowboys should still have a potent passing game, at least if receiver Roy Williams can live up to his big contract and the two draft picks Dallas gave up to get him from Detroit. Romo also still has his favorite target, tight end Jason Witten.

Over three years with the Cowboys, Owens caught 235 passes for 3,587 yards and 38 touchdowns in 47 games. He led the NFL with 13 TDs receiving in 2006, his first season in Dallas.

Over his 13-year career, he's a five-time All-Pro and ranks second in career touchdowns, fifth in career yards receiving and sixth in career receptions. He turned 35 in December, but remains a physical specimen.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Oviedo
03-05-2009, 08:33 AM

I agree. Both Lewis and Reed know they have about one more shot at a championship. They will be begging Newsome to bring TO in because they will convince Newsome that they can control him.

I'll predict now that TO signs with the Ravens. TO knows he also has about one more shot and no other team with a chance to seriously contend will youch him.

I'll also predict that Flacco will be less in 2009 (ala Derek Anderson) than he was in 2008 which will just lead to another TO explosion during the season.

SteelBucks
03-05-2009, 08:36 AM
I will be the first.....'why don't we offer him Nates vacancy for 1 million for this season'. Sandwich his locker in between James Harrison & Lamar Woodleys. If he starts running his mouth in an interview, or in general, they can knock him out. :Beer

You mean "when he starts running his mouth". There is no controlling TO.

proudpittsburgher
03-05-2009, 08:49 AM

Disagree. He won't make them a contender. Matt Birk has a better chance of doing that. TO's a cancer concerned with himself. His ego was too big for the cowgirls. What does THAT tell you? Sophmore HC and and ray lewis won't change that at all. TO will be dissing harbuagh in the media before the season is half done. Probably trash flacco too.

Normally, I would agree with you. There is no doubt TO is a clubhouse cancer, but Ray Ray will do everything he can to shield TO from clubhouse scorn. By the time TO wears on Ray Ray, Lewis will be done anyway. TO always seems to get on even his backers badside over time. The problem is TO will allow guys like Heap and Mason to kill us underneath, even in the twilight of their careers, because of the double-team we will have to put on TO. There are very few teams who will viw for TO's services, and we all know Baltimore will be one of them.

MeetJoeGreene
03-05-2009, 09:02 AM
I fear that TO will go to someone like Pats, Colts, or Ravens.

I would love to see him go to the Chargers and eat Norv alive....

SteelBucks
03-05-2009, 09:20 AM
I fear that TO will go to someone like Pats, Colts, or Ravens.

I would love to see him go to the Chargers and eat Norv alive....

My prediction is Oakland. It's a match made in heaven.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-05-2009, 09:38 AM

I wonder if the Cowboys will be looking to trade for a certain receiver in stripes...

What kind of cap hit would the Bengals take if he is traded? IIRC the amount was around $9M last year and that was a big reason why he remained. How much time is remaining on his deal?

mshifko
03-05-2009, 09:42 AM
this move kind of surprised...the guy can still play, no doubt about it...it's going to be interesting to see where he winds up going...i can see the raiders, but i don't think it's going to happen, i wouldn't rule out a philly return...

SteelBucks
03-05-2009, 10:30 AM
this move kind of surprised...the guy can still play, no doubt about it...it's going to be interesting to see where he winds up going...i can see the raiders, but i don't think it's going to happen, i wouldn't rule out a philly return...

I live in Philly and I guarantee that he will not be with the Eagles next year. The level of hatred from management and the fans towards TO is off the charts.....although I wouldn't mind seeing the TO circus return and destroy the team once again! :twisted:

Ozey74
03-05-2009, 10:37 AM
I bet Lavernous Coles could go back in time 24 hours.

AngryAsian
03-05-2009, 10:41 AM
I bet Lavernous Coles could go back in time 24 hours.

This is so true. Jerry could of definitely used LC and would of paid top dollar for his services. Now he's stuck playing for a team that sees no light at the end of the tunnel. Sorry Jom.

Jom112
03-05-2009, 10:48 AM

What kind of cap hit would the Bengals take if he is traded? IIRC the amount was around $9M last year and that was a big reason why he remained. How much time is remaining on his deal?

$4.865 million cap hit.

Down from the $8 Mil it would have been last season if we traded him. He's not scheduled to be a FA until after the 2011 season, but with TJ making $9 Mil per season and Coles making $7 Mil per season, I don't think Chad will be happy for long with his $6 Mil per season contract...

ikestops85
03-05-2009, 10:53 AM
I don't see him going to the Ravens. There is a high level of hate for TO in that city from when he backed out of the contract that he signed with them. He made Ozzie look like an idiot then so I don't think Ozzie will give him a chance to do it again. At least I hope not. The guy would certainly provide match-up problems when we played the Ravens.

stlrz d
03-05-2009, 10:57 AM
I don't see him going to the Ravens. There is a high level of hate for TO in that city from when he backed out of the contract that he signed with them. He made Ozzie look like an idiot then so I don't think Ozzie will give him a chance to do it again. At least I hope not. The guy would certainly provide match-up problems when we played the Ravens.

Yep. He made Ozzie look very bad.

I predict he becomes a Viking.

Djfan
03-05-2009, 11:09 AM
I want him to become a retired veteran. Maybe he will end up where Vick ends up.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-05-2009, 11:10 AM
This will be interesting to see. He is the kind of guy who if he goes to a weak locker room with no internal leadership, he will tear it apart.

He could go to a strong locker room with veteran leadership, but often those teams do not bring in guys like him, that is how they remain strong.

The greatest chance for success for him is NE. They have strong internal leadership and have succeeded with Moss. However, they are pretty set at WR, and I'm not sure how he and Moss would co-exist.

I think an interesting situation would be him going to SD. They always seem to have the talent, but find a way to blow it. I don't think that the team has the strength of leadership to pull them through. TO can turn one small bump into a major mid season catastrophe which dooms their season. It would be fun to watch.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Giants take a run at him. They have seen his talent, he essentially replaces another problem child, and they can easily figure that it was their loss of Plax that turned their very promising season into a one and done playoff. But, they have also had a close up look at what he has done to two dicision rivals and might not want to take part in that.

RuthlessBurgher
03-05-2009, 11:26 AM

T.O. and Brad Childress were not on speaking terms when they were both in Philadelphia.

Jom112
03-05-2009, 11:32 AM

T.O. and Brad Childress were not on speaking terms when they were both in Philadelphia.

That and he would destroy Sage Rosenfields...

stlrz d
03-05-2009, 11:51 AM

Stranger things have happened.

But if you wanna go that route, Harbaugh is a former Eagles coach as well. So no Baltimore for TO because of both Ozzie and Harbaugh objections.

grotonsteel
03-05-2009, 12:26 PM
I just hope he does not end up in AFC for any contender team especially Cheatroits. He normally plays well for a yr or so..

Iron Shiek
03-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Its amazing how many bridges have been burned by this dude. Dumbass.

Anyway, Florio on PFT started the "Anti-TO list" of teams that have expressed zero interest in T.O., but only with documented teams from various news stories that he's linked to.

So far, its Giants, Washington and Cowboys (of course). And the dumb Cowboys are carrying 9.675 million in dead TO money. Wow....

Mister Pittsburgh
03-05-2009, 12:46 PM
I predict he becomes a Patriot for cheap. Moss, T.O., Welker.....

stlrz d
03-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Talking heads keep saying Tennessee or New Orleans.

Iron Shiek
03-05-2009, 01:07 PM
It doesn't seem like a signing that the Titans organization would make.

Plus TO would probably drive Kerry Collins back to the bottle again...then Vince Young wouldnt stand a chance, he'd be reaching for a bottle of milk and a blankie by week 4.

Hmm...maybe they should sign him.

Jooser
03-05-2009, 01:08 PM

http://talk.baltimoresun.com/showthread.php?t=188980

Mixed reactions from the Swab board about signing him. Some say yay, others no way.

Jooser
03-05-2009, 01:14 PM
Word from ESPN's website is that the Broncos are interested in pairing him up with Marshall.....

snarky
03-05-2009, 01:17 PM
I think you can count out a few types of teams

1) Teams that are true top-tier contenders for their conference (Steelers, Patriots, Colts, Titans, Giants, Panthers, Falcons, Cardinals). He isn't worth the risk.

2) Teams that have a young QB that shows promise (Broncos, Chargers?, Ravens and possibly the Redskins)

3) Teams that are in a rebuilding mode and don't see themselves seriously competing this year or next. Hard to say who is in this category, because this would be an internal view.

Then you can rule out the niners and eagles for obvious reasons. And you can probably eliminate Minnesota because of Childress.

My prediction: The Saints. I think Jay Peyton is a little bit insane in the membrane and it just might work.

EDIT: My Saints prediction was independent of what stlrz_d says above (or am I a talking head too)

Iron Shiek
03-05-2009, 01:27 PM
I'd have to agree with the Saints prediction...there seems to be a nice fit there and Brees slings it so the more weapons the better.

The Broncos don't seem to fit...him and Marshall are the same player basically. I guess you can't have too many of that type of WR? I don't know...I'd like to see Cutler have another weapon...5000 yards anyone (and miss the playoffs again...ha)??

Mel Blount's G
03-05-2009, 01:28 PM
It doesn't seem like a signing that the Titans organization would make.

Plus TO would probably drive Kerry Collins back to the bottle again...then Vince Young wouldnt stand a chance, he'd be reaching for a bottle of milk and a blankie by week 4.

Hmm...maybe they should sign him.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
So funny yet a certain ring of truth...

TO is like the black widow for sensitive qb's :lol:

I don't care where he goes. I think his talent, which isn't getting any better as he ages, is far outweighed by his ridiculous ego paired with what seems like a small and maybe damaged intellect. Can anybody name even one past situation where he didn't cause team dissension and/or distraction? Him signing with a rival does not scare me at all. And some mention match-up problems; I can't remember him doing much at all in the 2-3 times he has played us. A few years ago, when he was with philly, Troy pretty much eliminated his impact and presence. Last year against the girls, not much either...Can't remember previous games if there were any..?

MaxAMillion
03-05-2009, 01:31 PM
I predict that he goes to the Ravens. They wanted him before he ultimately went to the Eagles. Ray Ran and the boys could probably keep him in line for a year or two. Plus you don't have to pay Owens big dollars.

stlrz d
03-05-2009, 02:01 PM
I predict that he goes to the Ravens. They wanted him before he ultimately went to the Eagles. Ray Ran and the boys could probably keep him in line for a year or two. Plus you don't have to pay Owens big dollars.

Mort has reported the Ravens, Titans, Skins and Giants have all said they have no interest in TO. Among other teams already giving him a no.

Only the Raiders have given him a yes.

Edited to add: My prediction will more than likely be wrong too. The Vikings also told Mort they have no interest.

Iron Shiek
03-05-2009, 02:23 PM
What's funnier than all the bridges that TO has burned?

The fact that a few hours after news breaks of his release, teams are reaching out to the media (instead of vice versa) and telling them their team will not have any interest in him. Almost as if not to infuriate the fan base when rumors of what teams he will join start circulating...they can just avoid that whole mess.

NorCal-Steeler
03-05-2009, 02:29 PM
I'd predict he ends up in Tampa , they have the cash. Place him out there with K2 and Ward all three of them have something to prove. Along with a new young black coach Tampa will try to make a statement.

RuthlessBurgher
03-05-2009, 03:29 PM

When did David Byrne starting analyzing football? :wink:

http://locallygrownnorthfield.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/davidbyrne.jpg

feltdizz
03-05-2009, 04:37 PM

Normally, I would agree with you. There is no doubt TO is a clubhouse cancer, but Ray Ray will do everything he can to shield TO from clubhouse scorn. By the time TO wears on Ray Ray, Lewis will be done anyway. TO always seems to get on even his backers badside over time. The problem is TO will allow guys like Heap and Mason to kill us underneath, even in the twilight of their careers, because of the double-team we will have to put on TO. There are very few teams who will viw for TO's services, and we all know Baltimore will be one of them.

TO has never been a threat to us... as long as we have our LB's we are good.
The problem is TO and the seeding he will get them in the playoffs. That could be a problem... The whole TO is a cancer is an excuse by Dallas to address the real problem. Romo.

What has TO done or said in Dallas that wasn't true?

He said Romo and Witten draw up plays without him...we witnessed it firsthand and benefited from it. Imagine Ben taking Nate on a trip to Mexico during a bye week in the playoffs? but TO is the distraction?

He said the OC is predictable.. again, we witnessed it firsthand.

He says he is always open...every good wide receiver says that and believes it.

ESPN was always trying to make TO into the old Philly/SF Owens we all remember strictly for ratings... now TO isn't innocent but we all watched Dallas the last 2 years.. TO is not the problem. That owner is the problem.. and why release him after half the WR's in FA have been snatched up? Just a stupid move by Dallas.

proudpittsburgher
03-05-2009, 05:07 PM

TO has never been a threat to us... as long as we have our LB's we are good.
The problem is TO and the seeding he will get them in the playoffs. That could be a problem... The whole TO is a cancer is an excuse by Dallas to address the real problem. Romo.

What has TO done or said in Dallas that wasn't true?

He said Romo and Witten draw up plays without him...we witnessed it firsthand and benefited from it. Imagine Ben taking Nate on a trip to Mexico during a bye week in the playoffs? but TO is the distraction?

He said the OC is predictable.. again, we witnessed it firsthand.

He says he is always open...every good wide receiver says that and believes it.

ESPN was always trying to make TO into the old Philly/SF Owens we all remember strictly for ratings... now TO isn't innocent but we all watched Dallas the last 2 years.. TO is not the problem. That owner is the problem.. and why release him after half the WR's in FA have been snatched up? Just a stupid move by Dallas.

TO is a lazy route runner who is the first target for most of Romos plays. He is among the most thrown-to wideouts in the league, yet he complains that he doesn't get it enough. He never fights for balls, often leading to easy INTs that could have been broken up. Is it possible that Romo and Whitten work together so well because, well, maybe Romo and Whitten respect each other, something TO obviously has for no one other than himself. TO IS a cancer to the team, and he has proven that over and over again. If ever there was a player who would be the subject of collusion, it would be him, and I don't think anyone but him would care.

feltdizz
03-05-2009, 05:52 PM
TO is a lazy route runner who is the first target for most of Romos plays. He is among the most thrown-to wideouts in the league, yet he complains that he doesn't get it enough. He never fights for balls, often leading to easy INTs that could have been broken up. Is it possible that Romo and Whitten work together so well because, well, maybe Romo and Whitten respect each other, something TO obviously has for no one other than himself. TO IS a cancer to the team, and he has proven that over and over again. If ever there was a player who would be the subject of collusion, it would be him, and I don't think anyone but him would care.

I agree on the lazy route running...

but a cancer in Dallas? No way.. that is an ESPN story they have been forcing on us since Romo hasn't delivered. Sure Witten and Romo have "respect" but what did that respect do for them when Romo was throwing to Witten when his back was turned on the last series against us?

In Philly and SF TO acted a fool.. but the media really tried hard to make the TO saga continue in Dallas and I don't buy it. Romo is not who they say he is and the Witten Romo connection will be hurt unless they get a legit WR who can stretch the field.

I'm not saying TO is innocent but we have seen TO in action... this was TO non alcoholic O'Douls on a Tuesday afternoon. Saying TO killed that team is a joke... their D gave up 2 70 yard runs and the Philly game was a total collapse... you can't blame TO for that.

and look at Boldin in AZ... he blows up on the sideline and every media outlet tried to make it into attempted murder...

Dallas will be 6-10 next year.

WoodleyofTroy
03-05-2009, 06:08 PM
I agree on the lazy route running...

but a cancer in Dallas? No way.. that is an ESPN story they have been forcing on us since Romo hasn't delivered. Sure Witten and Romo have "respect" but what did that respect do for them when Romo was throwing to Witten when his back was turned on the last series against us?

In Philly and SF TO acted a fool.. but the media really tried hard to make the TO saga continue in Dallas and I don't buy it. Romo is not who they say he is and the Witten Romo connection will be hurt unless they get a legit WR who can stretch the field.

I'm not saying TO is innocent but we have seen TO in action... this was TO non alcoholic O'Douls on a Tuesday afternoon. Saying TO killed that team is a joke... their D gave up 2 70 yard runs and the Philly game was a total collapse... you can't blame TO for that.

and look at Boldin in AZ... he blows up on the sideline and every media outlet tried to make it into attempted murder...

Dallas will be 6-10 next year.

I agree 100%. The only mistake T.O. made in Dallas was signing with that team. He should of laid low with that personality of his and played for someone else. Instead everything got blown out of proportion because of the Dallas hype. For example, put Tony Romo in Detroit, and you'd never hear about him like you do.

feltdizz
03-05-2009, 06:40 PM
I agree 100%. The only mistake T.O. made in Dallas was signing with that team. He should of laid low with that personality of his and played for someone else. Instead everything got blown out of proportion because of the Dallas hype. For example, put Tony Romo in Detroit, and you'd never hear about him like you do.

The whole TO cancer thing in Dallas is because Romo failed to deliver...

proudpittsburgher
03-05-2009, 08:27 PM
I totally agree that TO was not the only problem in Dallas. I'm sorry if what i said came off as that, because I don't believe that. That being said. TO is a cancer on whatever team he plays for.

feltdizz
03-05-2009, 08:58 PM
I totally agree that TO was not the only problem in Dallas. I'm sorry if what i said came off as that, because I don't believe that. That being said. TO is a cancer on whatever team he plays for.

the same thing was said about Randy Moss though... and he is a gem in NE*
as crazy as it sounds the 49ers would be perfect for TO...
Singletary would put him in place, he is begging for a father figure...

as much as TO is said to be a cancer.. what did he do last year that was cancerous?
You have to remember.... a lot of the information released was from private meetings and in the locker room. I think Romo or Garrett were snitching on TO.

ESPN kept trying to find that TO story.. but TO never went all out TO with his antics. He knows his chances are slim and seemed to tone it down a lot.. compared to the TO we knew.

Who will Dallas blame this year though?

MBposter
03-06-2009, 12:14 AM

Romo is in tough spot. He has one receiver (owens) who doesn't get separation like
he used too, but still wants 200 balls thrown his way or he takes fits. The other receiver
(rogers) doesn't get separation at all, and expects the pass to be thrown.

WoodleyofTroy
03-06-2009, 02:17 AM
15 teams have publicly stated that they are not interested in Terrell Owens. The Steelers are not on that list.

AngryAsian
03-06-2009, 04:27 AM
15 teams have publicly stated that they are not interested in Terrell Owens. The Steelers are not on that list.

I would **** out an eggroll if TO were to get signed here.... literally.

Oviedo
03-06-2009, 09:06 AM

Completely agree. I think TO is an idiot for his behavior and antics when he has so much God given talent, but Romo was and is the problem in Dallas not TO. He is the second most over-hyped QB in this league behind Carson Palmer. For what ever reason dallas seems to coddle him and a strong personality like TO seems to be too tough for him to overcome and deal with.

Dallas is going to miss TO's production in a huge way but I guess that means that Jason Witten will catch 150 passes this season.

RuthlessBurgher
03-06-2009, 11:23 AM

Romo is in tough spot. He has one receiver (owens) who doesn't get separation like
he used too, but still wants 200 balls thrown his way or he takes fits. The other receiver
(rogers) doesn't get separation at all, and expects the pass to be thrown.

Who is Rogers? Dallas' other WR's are Williams, Crayton, Austin, Stanback, plus Witten and Bennett at TE.

RuthlessBurgher
03-06-2009, 11:26 AM

They are not on that list likely because no one bothered to ask them about it, since it is pretty much understood by everyone who knows anything about the Steelers that Pittsburgh would want no part of Terrell Owens. I think the Pirates would bring back Barry Bonds before the Steelers even gave T.O. a second thought.

WoodleyofTroy
03-06-2009, 11:29 AM
I wonder if Colbert is sitting there saying, "If I could sign one player to put us back over that edge, who would it be".....?

Imagine Roethlisberger to Owens for a year. Remember Brady not getting any credit because he didn't put up fantasy stats like Peyton? All of a sudden throw Randy Moss in the mix, and Brady starts breaking records.

WoodleyofTroy
03-06-2009, 11:32 AM
I think the Pirates would bring back Barry Bonds

lol I actually thought about this as a likely scenario..to put fans in the seats..

ikestops85
03-06-2009, 11:39 AM

and if he signed here ... I would eat it. :shock:

Oviedo
03-06-2009, 11:58 AM

That is just totally disgusting :?

Iron Shiek
03-06-2009, 12:03 PM
I wonder if Colbert is sitting there saying, "If I could sign one player to put us back over that edge, who would it be".....?

Imagine Roethlisberger to Owens for a year. Remember Brady not getting any credit because he didn't put up fantasy stats like Peyton? All of a sudden throw Randy Moss in the mix, and Brady starts breaking records.

And that got them a championship....oh wait....

WoodleyofTroy
03-06-2009, 12:04 PM

And that got them a championship....oh wait....

:roll: They lost one f*cking game.

Iron Shiek
03-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Ha sorry...should've included a :stirpot or :D as I was just being a Cheater hater...

WoodleyofTroy
03-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Ha sorry...should've included a :stirpot or :D as I was just being a Cheater hater...

lol

stlrz d
03-06-2009, 12:55 PM
WOT - TO will never wear the black and gold. Count on it.

And for the record, if he did then I would lose a lot of respect for the organization.

Bringing in a guy with a history and rep like TO has simply isn't the Steelers way.

RuthlessBurgher
03-06-2009, 01:00 PM

People probably didn't think peanut butter and jelly would be a good combination until they tried it.

You will never know what cabbage and feces might taste like until you try it...hey, Mikey, he likes it! :shock: :lol:

grotonsteel
03-06-2009, 01:18 PM

TO is selfish but he has not run into trouble with the law.

With a coach like Tomlin, chance to win a Super Bowl and his age 35 he should be at his best behavior.Hines and Harrison should be able to control him for a year. :stirpot

TO was not the reason Cowgirls sucked last season. I believe he was at his best behavior as a Cowgirl that itself is not saying much. Romo is highly overrated and is better off dating Jessica. I think Cowgirls might make a run for Ocho Cinco.

Jerry Jones need to fire himself instead of looking for scapegoats.

feltdizz
03-06-2009, 01:47 PM
I think the Pirates would bring back Barry Bonds

lol I actually thought about this as a likely scenario..to put fans in the seats..

I would fart a rainbow if I saw a black outfielder who could hit homeruns in a Pirate uni.. LOL!

stlrz d
03-06-2009, 01:52 PM

People probably didn't think peanut butter and jelly would be a good combination until they tried it.

You will never know what cabbage and feces might taste like until you try it...hey, Mikey, he likes it! :shock: :lol:

We can guess what it smells like though (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimchi). :D

TO is selfish but he has not run into trouble with the law.

With a coach like Tomlin, chance to win a Super Bowl and his age 35 he should be at his best behavior.Hines and Harrison should be able to control him for a year. :stirpot

TO was not the reason Cowgirls sucked last season. I believe he was at his best behavior as a Cowgirl that itself is not saying much. Romo is highly overrated and is better off dating Jessica. I think Cowgirls might make a run for Ocho Cinco.

Jerry Jones need to fire himself instead of looking for scapegoats.

That is the biggest line of BS and fans of nearly every team say that. Or said it before their team signed TO.

Do a search of team message boards and you'll see for yourself. There are people saying it on the Rats board. "Ray and Ed Reed would be able to control him...blah blah blah".

Nobody can control TO and that's the problem.

Imo, the only time he should ever set foot in Hines field is as the opponent. Period.

feltdizz
03-06-2009, 02:06 PM
That is the biggest line of BS and fans of nearly every team say that. Or said it before their team signed TO.

Do a search of team message boards and you'll see for yourself. There are people saying it on the Rats board. "Ray and Ed Reed would be able to control him...blah blah blah".

Imo, the only time he should ever set foot in Hines field is as the opponent. Period.

while I agree he can't be controlled he didn't go crazy in Dallas.

PacMAn was fighting his own body guard for goodness sakes..
Barber was called out by Jerry Jones...

TO was the scapegoat for an a$$ backwards team last year.

grotonsteel
03-06-2009, 02:21 PM

:Agree

stlrz d
03-06-2009, 02:40 PM

He was a divisive force in the locker room.

Seriously, do you really want some douche here saying, "Ben and Santonio are drawing up plays that don't include me". :roll:

He's a tremendous talent. He's also a selfish, ego driven jerk.

No thanks.

feltdizz
03-06-2009, 02:57 PM
[quote="stlrz d":1uw3ibw6]

Seriously, do you really want some douche here saying, "Ben and Santonio are drawing up plays that don't include me". :roll:

No thanks.[/quote:1uw3ibw6]

Is it not true?

Umm.. Romo and Witten were photographed in Mexico DURING THEIR BYE WEEK drawing plays up in the sand 2 years ago!

Why do you think we won the Dallas game last year? Romo threw the ball to Witten 5 to 6 times on the last 2 drives.. everyone in the stadium knew where Romo was going...

I don't remember TO saying this to ESPN either.. I remember leaks from Dallas were telling ESPN all types of bull... I'm almost led to believe Romo or Jerry Jones were leaking things to ESPN.

We have seen TO in action... last year was lame in terms of TO drama.
All I'm saying is if we are going to jump on TO lets at least give him credit.. we all know what TO is capable of to tear a team up..

can you honestly say TO was a cancer last year? I don't think any NFL fan can call what TO did last year cancer.. it was more like a light cough from second hand smoke.

stlrz d
03-06-2009, 03:00 PM
I don't care if what Romo and Whitten did is true. TO's job is to STFU and play football. He can't seem to do it. They pay him a lot of money to do that and he's just not capable.

I want NO part of him in the black and gold.

feltdizz
03-06-2009, 03:13 PM
I don't care if what Romo and Whitten did is true. TO's job is to STFU and play football. He can't seem to do it. They pay him a lot of money to do that and he's just not capable.

I don't want him nor do we need him..

I'm just talking about the whole "cancer" angle people are talking about. Every locker room has talk... I think the bigger problem is the leak.

Here is my thing... when TO shuts up and plays ball, we would still get the ESPN spin "TO silent.. what it means"

I know TO has been an a$$ most his career... but the whole cancer thing is a joke.

If a team can sign PacMan after all that idiot has done... get him a body guard...and still accept him back on the team AFTER fighting with the body guard....

there is no way TO accusing Romo of collusion is just too much to deal with. I don't buy it.

stlrz d
03-06-2009, 03:17 PM

I don't want him nor do we need him..

I'm just talking about the whole "cancer" angle people are talking about. Every locker room has talk... I think the bigger problem is the leak.

Here is my thing... when TO shuts up and plays ball, we would still get the ESPN spin "TO silent.. what it means"

I know TO has been an a$$ most his career... but the whole cancer thing is a joke.

If a team can sign PacMan after all that idiot has done... get him a body guard...and still accept him back on the team AFTER fighting with the body guard....

there is no way TO accusing Romo of collusion is just too much to deal with. I don't buy it.

So what else do you think it is then? The Cowboys are paying over $9 million just to have TO off their team.

Over $9 million to get rid of the guy. They wanted him off the team something fierce to take that hit!

feltdizz
03-06-2009, 03:39 PM
So what else do you think it is then? The Cowboys are paying over $9 million just to have TO off their team.

Over $9 million to get rid of the guy. They wanted him off the team something fierce to take that hit!

Great question... but reading ESPN's comments half the Dallas fans don't get it either...
I really have no idea.. the timing of it is crazy as well... but they also cut Roy Williams (DB)
does Dallas pay TO if he is picked up by another team? If not then I'm led to believe JJ knows where TO is going...

Maybe Dallas is hoping Romo will play better with less expectations and without the TO/ESPN lense on them.

stlrz d
03-06-2009, 04:00 PM

Great question... but reading ESPN's comments half the Dallas fans don't get it either...
I really have no idea.. the timing of it is crazy as well... but they also cut Roy Williams (DB)
does Dallas pay TO if he is picked up by another team? If not then I'm led to believe JJ knows where TO is going...

Maybe Dallas is hoping Romo will play better with less expectations and without the TO/ESPN lense on them.

There's something going on there for sure...they wanted him off the team. It's my understanding that the Cowboys have $9 million in dead cap space regardless of what happens with Owens.

RuthlessBurgher
03-06-2009, 04:03 PM
does Dallas pay TO if he is picked up by another team?

No. His new team pays him (assuming that there is another team out there that wants him *cough* Al Davis *cough*). The $9 million cap hit is the acceleration of the remainder of his signing bonus onto this year's cap. If they kept him throughout the length of his contract, that signing bonus (which is already in T.O.'s bank account) would have been spread out evenly over all of the years for cap purposes. But since all of those future years have now been eliminated, the entire signing bonus amount goes on their cap right now.

MBposter
03-06-2009, 06:38 PM
[quote="stlrz d":1oplstaa]

No thanks.

I don't remember TO saying this to ESPN either.. .[/quote:1oplstaa]

I think its fair to give the Cowboys the benefit of the doubt here.
Do you really need proof of TO being a divisive force in the locker room?

feltdizz
03-06-2009, 06:57 PM

No. His new team pays him (assuming that there is another team out there that wants him *cough* Al Davis *cough*). The $9 million cap hit is the acceleration of the remainder of his signing bonus onto this year's cap. If they kept him throughout the length of his contract, that signing bonus (which is already in T.O.'s bank account) would have been spread out evenly over all of the years for cap purposes. But since all of those future years have now been eliminated, the entire signing bonus amount goes on their cap right now.

does the new team spread the 9 mill or his remaining contract?

feltdizz
03-06-2009, 07:16 PM
[quote="stlrz d":2jin7lwx]

No thanks.

I don't remember TO saying this to ESPN either.. .

I think its fair to give the Cowboys the benefit of the doubt here.
Do you really need proof of TO being a divisive force in the locker room?[/quote:2jin7lwx]

Jerry Jones hired a bodyguard for PacMan and he still ended up fighting the bodyguard but he is still on the team as far as I know..

Jerry Jones publicly called out Barber for not playing in the Steeler game...

the Dallas D let McClain and McGahee bust back to back 70+ yard runs...

the next week they had 6 or 7 turnovers in a blowout loss to Philly at home...

add to this Romo has thrown an INT in like 24 of his last 25 games....

now tell me how TO, and we have all watched TO put on team cancer shows..
it responsible for Dallas' woe's?

I'm not a TO fan but I will defend him all day on this one...

Dallas sucks, Romo sucks..

stlrz d
03-07-2009, 12:47 AM
Pacman's gone dude. He was released awhile ago.

RuthlessBurgher
03-07-2009, 05:51 PM

does the new team spread the 9 mill or his remaining contract?

No. A new team can sign him for whatever they want. It could be the veteran minimum or it could be a Dan Snyder blockbuster special...who knows. Owens already has that signing bonus money in his bank account when he signed his contract. Dallas was just able to spread the cap hit for that signing bonus over the entirity of that contract, though (not the actually money...just how that money is accounted for on their salary cap). But now, since there are no more years on Owens' contract, the amount of that signing bonus that was supposed to be spread out over many years now has to be accounted for on this year's cap all at once. Hence, the $9 million cap hit.

I'll give you another example using our team. We signed Kendall Simmons to a 4 year extension in September of 2007. He was given a $7.85 million signing bonus. Since still had one year left on his previous contract, we could spread the $7.85 million signing bonus out evenly over the course of 5 seasons ($1.57 million per season). Well, he played in '07 and he played in '08, and now he is cut with 3 years remaining on his contract. The last three years worth of that signing bonus all must be accounted for on this year's cap. So there is $4.71 million worth of dead money on this year's cap for Kendall Simmons (3 seasons left at $1.57 per season). Note: cutting Simmons actually cost us money against the cap (not much, though). If he played this year, his cap hit would have been $4.67 million ($3.1 million in salary plus the $1.57 signing bonus pro-ration). Why would we pay more (even if it is only $40,000 more) for a guy not to play than to play, when we could use depth on the o-line? Because if we kept him this year for $4.67 million and then cut him after this season, then we would still owe $3.14 million of dead money next year (2 seasons left at $1.57 per season). Better to take the $4.71 million cap hit now and get it over with if you don't think the guy will ever return to his prior form after experiencing an ACL tear, diabetes, frostbite on his heel, and an Achilles tear during his career in Pittsburgh than having him count for $7.81 million against the cap over the next two seasons. Make sense?

feltdizz
03-08-2009, 10:59 AM
yep... thanks