PDA

View Full Version : AFC North Signings - Birk, Lewis and Coles

phillyesq
03-04-2009, 05:31 PM
Reports on PFT are that the Ravens have signed Matt Birk and expect to re-sign Ray Lewis. The Bengals have signed Laveranues Coles. The deal for Coles is 4 years, $28 million. No terms confirmed yet for Lewis or Birk.

I think that Birk is a great signing for the Ravens if he has anything left in the tank (which, even though he's getting up in years, he seems to). This eases the Ravens loss of Brown, and stems some of the flow of talent out of their organization.

The rest of the signings -- meh. No strong feelings either way. Ray Lewis was pretty much expected, and I think that the Bengals overpayed for Coles, who doesn't really scare me.

stlrz d
03-04-2009, 05:41 PM
See the FA thread on Birk. It hasn't been confirmed.

Jom112
03-04-2009, 05:44 PM
We overpaid for Coles, but at least we did something. Hopefully the deal doesn't have a lot of money upfront or guaranteed.

Also now that we signed Coles, a certain receiver might be on the trading block...

Oviedo
03-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Does anyone else sense that the Ravens have about one good season left before their defense falls apart due to old age?

Coles is a poor replacement for Whoseyourmama. If the Bumgals trade Ocho they will be battling the Stains for last place...again.

Jom112
03-04-2009, 06:23 PM
Does anyone else sense that the Ravens have about one good season left before their defense falls apart due to old age?

Coles is a poor replacement for Whoseyourmama. If the Bumgals trade Ocho they will be battling the Stains for last place...again.

I think stains locked down last place in the division by hiring Mangini...

phillyesq
03-04-2009, 06:30 PM
We overpaid for Coles, but at least we did something. Hopefully the deal doesn't have a lot of money upfront or guaranteed.

Also now that we signed Coles, a certain receiver might be on the trading block...

Jom, I can see where you're coming from. He is at least a capable starter that you trot out there while waiting for Simpson to develop or finding other alternatives.

Snatch98
03-04-2009, 06:55 PM
Cole is a solid WR that has battled a few injuries the last two years. If he can build any kind of chemistry with Palmer he's going to be dangerous. He has great speed and good hands but seems to act "bitchy" when things aren't going his way with the QB. If he and Palmer can get on the same page it's a good pick up in my opinion.

MeetJoeGreene
03-04-2009, 07:11 PM
Best case and semi-likely: Birk, Lewis both out of gas and don't hold up for the season. Coles -- decent, but best days behind him. He and Ocho just don't get along.

Worst Case - they are all pro-bowlers. But I don't think that is gonna happen.
Well .. Ray Ray may be just because of his reputation.

Jom112
03-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Cole is a solid WR that has battled a few injuries the last two years. If he can build any kind of chemistry with Palmer he's going to be dangerous. He has great speed and good hands but seems to act "bitchy" when things aren't going his way with the QB. If he and Palmer can get on the same page it's a good pick up in my opinion.

I think the Palmer/Coles relationship will work out pretty well. Palmer is actually the one who recruited him. He called the coaching staff to look at signing Coles, and he called Coles to convince him to sign the Bengals.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7544

After making a pitch to his head coach for wide receiver Laveraneus Coles over the weekend, Palmer then made his own throw to the long-time Jet to fill the void left by T.J. Houshmandzadeh's departure with another big-time wide receiver. Palmer got his man for the next four years in a deal that was announced Wednesday.

"I told him to just give us a chance," Palmer said. "There's so much negativity about (the Bengals) out there. We may not have a private plane or an indoor facility, but there is no other place you'd rather be when you're winning, and when guys do come visit here they're always surprised.

Glad to see someone trying to sell this team to FA's... :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
03-04-2009, 09:24 PM

I think the Palmer/Coles relationship will work out pretty well. Palmer is actually the one who recruited him. He called the coaching staff to look at signing Coles, and he called Coles to convince him to sign the Bengals.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7544

After making a pitch to his head coach for wide receiver Laveraneus Coles over the weekend, Palmer then made his own throw to the long-time Jet to fill the void left by T.J. Houshmandzadeh's departure with another big-time wide receiver. Palmer got his man for the next four years in a deal that was announced Wednesday.

"I told him to just give us a chance," Palmer said. "There's so much negativity about (the Bengals) out there. We may not have a private plane or an indoor facility, but there is no other place you'd rather be when you're winning, and when guys do come visit here they're always surprised.

Glad to see someone trying to sell this team to FA's... :lol:

The Bengals don't have an indoor facility? :shock: Seriously??? :wft Don't most division III college teams have indoor facilities? :lol:

:bungalssuck

Jom112
03-04-2009, 10:31 PM
The Bengals don't have an indoor facility? :shock: Seriously??? :wft Don't most division III college teams have indoor facilities? :lol:

Yeah unfortunately. It's pretty sad. The two biggest knocks on Mike Brown's "thriftiness" are:

1. No indoor practice facility - Which I think we're the only team this far north without one. Bears, Lions, Steelers, Browns, Jets, NE, Buffalo, Vikes, I believe everyone one of them have one.

2. Half as many scouts as most teams.

The sad part of the indoor practice facility is that the University of Cincinnati was willing to pitch in on one, probably even pay the brunt of it. That was either last offseason or the one before that. Either way we still don't have one...

RuthlessBurgher
03-04-2009, 10:48 PM

Yeah unfortunately. It's pretty sad. The two biggest knocks on Mike Brown's "thriftiness" are:

1. No indoor practice facility - Which I think we're the only team this far north without one. Bears, Lions, Steelers, Browns, Jets, NE, Buffalo, Vikes, I believe everyone one of them have one.

2. Half as many scouts as most teams.

The sad part of the indoor practice facility is that the University of Cincinnati was willing to pitch in on one, probably even pay the brunt of it. That was either last offseason or the one before that. Either way we still don't have one...

That could be a reason why Aliki Smith flamed out in Cincy. He was used to the state-of-the-art high-ech training facilities at Oregon (have you seen that place? It is amazing.). To go from that to the Bengals' facilities, which were probably closer to his high school facilities than what he had at Oregon, could have been the first step toward a major letdown.

http://buildllc.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/uoamc_01.jpg

anger 82&95
03-04-2009, 10:51 PM
Lewis resigned with the Ravens.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3952887