PDA

View Full Version : Holes in the roster

Discipline of Steel
03-04-2009, 07:32 AM
OK guys (and gals!), lets get organized. Ill do my best to go through each position here and see where we stand, with my guess as to how the brain trust intends to address perceived openings this off season. Based on memory so please correct me if Im wrong..

QB - We have two QB under contract and need to ID the backup. I suspect Lefty will get a decent offer to go compete for #1 elsewhere, leaving us to resign Batch as emergency QB/asst coach. Dixon #2

RB - Only hole may be Carey which I expect a late FB to be drafted for competition.

WR - We have 3 so far, if you dont count Nance. Mid round rookie/Nance prob cant be counted on to be too productive this year, so we sign a moderate FA. Baker? no, his time is up

TE - No real holes with 3 in the fold

OL - Starting 5 is set so no real need for a flashy FA. No real depth so 2 early in the draft

DL - Starting 3 set but no depth so 2 in the draft

LB - Our cup runneth over

CB - McFadden hits the road, Roy Lewis steps up to 4/5, draft one early to compete for 4/5

S - 3 in place right now, with one being a Tyrone Carter. Mundy ascends but possibly a lower tier FA/late draft pick/Roy Lewis for competition

Draft summary: (in no particular order)
Round 1-3 CB, OL, DT
Round 3-5 OL, DE, WR
Round 6-7/7 S, FB, OL

FA Summary: (not much action)
#3/4 WR
Young DL to replace one of our older backups possible
Cheap S to replace Carter possible (but not likely)
Cheap FB possible (i dream of Leonard Weaver but not likely)

Iron Shiek
03-04-2009, 08:20 AM
Per an article in another thread, Arians claims Nance is in the mix. Whether he will be productive is another thing, but it appears they will give him a shot. Early on I was saying we have to draft a WR, and for now I still think we do, but Arians threw me off. Maybe that's his intention with that news....plus he never mentioned Baker...???

Discipline of Steel
03-04-2009, 09:03 AM
I saw that article and thats why I included him instead of Baker. I just dont think he and/or a rook will be enough behind Sweed. Should anything happen, thats a lot of young blood to count on for a SB repeat contender.

Oviedo
03-04-2009, 09:50 AM
I think DL needs serious attention particularly at the Nose Tackle position. Hampton and Hoke are on their last legs and NT is becoming the premium DL pick with more and more teams playing the 3-4.

Developmental DEs we can get in Rounds 4-6.

I also think we have a greater need at WR than many believe. The injury bug is biting Hines every year now and you have to expect that his body will begin to show wear given his playing style. While Santonio is solid we still have to see Sweed prove himself because the #3 has to be able to step in as #2 when injuries hit.

I'd like to see us look at WR in Rounds 3-6 and target guys like Austin Collie, Mike Thomas, Deon Butler, Patrick Turner, Ramses Barden, Quan Cosby or Jordan Norwood.

If Derrick Williams is available at 2.64, should we take him? Thoughts?

Discipline of Steel
03-04-2009, 10:04 AM
I think DL needs serious attention particularly at the Nose Tackle position. Hampton and Hoke are on their last legs and NT is becoming the premium DL pick with more and more teams playing the 3-4.

I also think we have a greater need at WR than many believe. The injury bug is biting Hines every year now and you have to expect that his body will begin to show wear given his playing style. While Santonio is solid we still have to see Sweed prove himself because the #3 has to be able to step in as #2 when injuries hit.

I'd like to see us look at WR in Rounds 3-6 and target guys like Austin Collie, Mike Thomas, Deon Butler, Patrick Turner, Ramses Barden, Quan Cosby or Jordan Norwood.

OK Oveido, I was liking Sammie Hill at #4, but switched DT with DE based on your analysis. I trust you know what your talking about with good DE available in rounds 4-6 because I havent a clue.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-04-2009, 10:37 AM
[quote]WR - We have 3 so far, if you dont count Nance. Mid round rookie/Nance prob cant be counted on to be too productive this year, so we sign a moderate FA. Baker? no, his time is up

I think that WR must be addressed. Hines is in the last year of his contract and has a cap number of $7.8M for this year. He is 33 next week and his style of play does not usually add up to long career - it is kind of surprising that he has played for this long. We need to address the fact that his role will diminish then disappear within the next year or so.

OL - Starting 5 is set so no real need for a flashy FA. No real depth so 2 early in the draft

One guard position may be open for competition as I can't see Stapleton as a lock. Also, Hartings is in the last year of his deal. I think they grab either Mack or Unger if the opportunity comes up.

Agreed, I think that we try to grab Smith's and/or Hampton's replacement

Not so fast here. Foote is in the last year of his contract and Farrior's age may see him with a reduced role by '10. We also have the unsure contract situation of a 30+ Harrison. IMO Woodley and Timmons are your only sure starters in '10. Factor in Farrior and Harrison as question marks, Davis as the unknown, and guys like Frazier, Fox as the depth/ST guys. I would not be shocked if they look to help secure the future uncertainty with a mid round LB.[/quote:1jhs05eb]

Oviedo
03-04-2009, 10:37 AM

OK Oveido, I was liking Sammie Hill at #4, but switched DT with DE based on your analysis. I trust you know what your talking about with good DE available in rounds 4-6 because I havent a clue.

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night :wink:

The following all fit the developmental DE (ala Smith and Kiesel) mold:

Dorell Scott, Clemson
Zack Potter, Nebraska
Will Johnson, Michigan
Khalif Mitchell, East Carolina
Rulon Davis, California
Ra'Shon Harris, Oregon
Pannel Egboh, Stanford
Jeremy Navarre, Maryland
Jeff Scweiger, San Jode State

All have or are near the desired height (6'4" or above) and are about 10-20lbs from the desired bulk of 295-305lbs.

Discipline of Steel
03-04-2009, 10:42 AM
I think that WR must be addressed. Hines is in the last year of his contract and has a cap number of $7.8M for this year. He is 33 next week and his style of play does not usually add up to long career - it is kind of surprising that he has played for this long. We need to address the fact that his role will diminish then disappear within the next year or so.

That is why I have both a FA and mid round draft pick...mild emergency?!?

Lebsteel
03-04-2009, 10:46 AM

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night :wink:

The following all fit the developmental DE (ala Smith and Kiesel) mold:

Dorell Scott, Clemson
Zack Potter, Nebraska
Will Johnson, Michigan
Khalif Mitchell, East Carolina
Rulon Davis, California
Ra'Shon Harris, Oregon
Pannel Egboh, Stanford
Jeremy Navarre, Maryland
Jeff Scweiger, San Jode State

All have or are near the desired height (6'4" or above) and are about 10-20lbs from the desired bulk of 295-305lbs.

I'm thinking Scott might be a good developmental NT:

Dorell Scott, Clemson
Height: 6-3. Weight: 312.
Projected 40 Time: 5.04.
Combine 40 Time: 4.92.
Benchx225: 29. Vertical: .
Projected Round (2009): 3.
1/10/09: Dorrell Scott finished the season with just one sack, but had six TFL and five quarterback hurries.

5/9/08: A monstrous defensive tackle who can get to the quarterback on occasion. Dorell Scott had 50 tackles and three sacks in 2007.

2007: A starter as a sophomore, Dorell Scott is one of the hardest-working players in this class. He'll put up some good numbers on the bench press come Combine time.

papillon
03-04-2009, 10:51 AM
Remember, you have to evaluate what you hear as information coming from the FO and coaching staffs right now as potentially high on the BS meter. The Steelers don't want to tip off their hand as to how they are going to handle the draft. Maybe Nance is in the fold or maybe he isn't, but, I'd take anything I hear concerning personnel moves with a grain of salt.

The only truthful things we hear are probably the signings.

Pappy

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-04-2009, 10:54 AM
[quote="steeler_fan_in_t.o.":2ht5x65d]

That is why I have both a FA and mid round draft pick...mild emergency?!?[/quote:2ht5x65d]

FA and mid round pick might be a good place to find a #3 WR, but we will be needing a solid starter soon. If we are looking FA, we will probably be looking at one of next year's top guys, if we went WR this year we would need a Housh or better. If we are looking at the draft, then we should be looking higher than a mid rounder. By next year this guy could be battling Sweed for a starting position.

steeler_george
03-04-2009, 11:18 AM
OK guys (and gals!), lets get organized. Ill do my best to go through each position here and see where we stand, with my guess as to how the brain trust intends to address perceived openings this off season. Based on memory so please correct me if Im wrong..

QB - We have two QB under contract and need to ID the backup. I suspect Lefty will get a decent offer to go compete for #1 elsewhere, leaving us to resign Batch as emergency QB/asst coach. Dixon #2 We are fine here

RB - Only hole may be Carey which I expect a late FB to be drafted for competition.
I would love to see another FB/Power bakc in camp to compete with Davis/Russel

WR - We have 3 so far, if you dont count Nance. Mid round rookie/Nance prob cant be counted on to be too productive this year, so we sign a moderate FA. Baker? no, his time is up We need a quality 3rd and 4th definetly

TE - No real holes with 3 in the fold
Would be great to see a "blocking TE" join the crew...or is that Hughs.

OL - Starting 5 is set so no real need for a flashy FA. No real depth so 2 early in the draft. We ignored it, now sort of creeping on us, no depth, no real projects.

See OL
Just fine

CB - McFadden hits the road, Roy Lewis steps up to 4/5, draft one early to compete for 4/5 Forgot about R. Lewis, remeber played well on ST and preseason. Can he compete?

S - 3 in place right now, with one being a Tyrone Carter. Mundy ascends but possibly a lower tier FA/late draft pick/Roy Lewis for competition. Need a better 3rd S Is Mundy, Lewis in the mix? Maybe draft FS that can play 4th CB and back up S.

Draft summary: (in no particular order)
Round 1-3 CB, OL, DT
Round 3-5 OL, DE, WR
Round 6-7/7 S, FB, OL
Draft for BPA but need to address areas of OL, DL, DB, WR and a returner on ST. For depth, and future starters...hopefully will contribute ASAP unlike other years.
FA Summary: (not much action)
#3/4 WR
Young DL to replace one of our older backups possible
Cheap S to replace Carter possible (but not likely)
Cheap FB possible (i dream of Leonard Weaver but not likely)

ADD in depth/compete for OL and to keep the staters on toes.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-04-2009, 12:39 PM

I wouldn't rule out Colbert and Co. going for a good ILB in the draft. Foote has one year left and Farrior is getting older.

I agree that OL and DL are areas of need, and that we will need to pick up another WR for depth. I'm not sure that we will target a CB, at least early in the draft...if we can't sign McFadden, I think we'll make a play for Carr from the Titans. Not only has he been effective in nickel and dime packages, he has been a pretty good kick returner.

Oviedo
03-04-2009, 12:47 PM

I wouldn't rule out Colbert and Co. going for a good ILB in the draft. Foote has one year left and Farrior is getting older.

I agree that OL and DL are areas of need, and that we will need to pick up another WR for depth. I'm not sure that we will target a CB, at least early in the draft...if we can't sign McFadden, I think we'll make a play for Carr from the Titans. Not only has he been effective in nickel and dime packages, he has been a pretty good kick returner.

If they can't resign Harrison you may be right. It they view him leaving as inevitable they have the flexibility to move Timmons to ROLB and either keep Foote of draft a ILB.

Obviously we can franchise Harrison for at least one year and maybe two if the CBA expires. Not sure they would do that when the have Timmons waiting to play.

If they do draft an ILB in the Top 3 rounds I think that is an indicator that Harison will not be a Steeler long term.

RuthlessBurgher
03-04-2009, 01:26 PM

Dorell Scott, Clemson
1/10/09: Dorrell Scott finished the season with just one sack, but had six TFL and five quarterback hurries.

5/9/08: A monstrous defensive tackle who can get to the quarterback on occasion. Dorell Scott had 50 tackles and three sacks in 2007.

2007: A starter as a sophomore, Dorell Scott is one of the hardest-working players in this class. He'll put up some good numbers on the bench press come Combine time.

After running a sub-five 40-time, I would think that a 4-3 team would jump on him earlier due to his atheticism than a 3-4 team would that wants him to be an anchor at NT.

Lebsteel
03-04-2009, 04:27 PM

Dorell Scott, Clemson

After running a sub-five 40-time, I would think that a 4-3 team would jump on him earlier due to his atheticism than a 3-4 team would that wants him to be an anchor at NT.

True, but if he is still there he could add a new dimension by actually being able to provide penetration even though his primarily role will be to stuff the middle.