PDA

View Full Version : Free Agents still remaining. Steelers chances increase.

WoodleyofTroy
03-04-2009, 12:31 AM
The longer they remained unsigned, the chances increase for a team that isn't known to spend.

My Remaining FA Rankings based on Steelers needs.
1.Igor Olshansky, DE
2.Bryant McFadden, CB
3.Khalif Barnes, OT
4.Shaun Cody, DE
5.Leigh Bodden, CB
6.Byron Leftwich, QB
7.Chris McAlister, CB
8.Dewayne Robertson, DT
9.George Foster, OT
10.Mike Furrey, WR
11.Ronald Currey, WR
12.Trai Essex, OT
13.Mike Wright, DE
14.Chris Carr, CB
15.Drew Bennett, WR

I'm actually surprised some these guys are still out there.

Chadman
03-04-2009, 01:16 AM
Chadman has it on pretty good authority that at least one name on that list has discussed contract numbers with the Steelers.

Mister Pittsburgh
03-04-2009, 01:30 AM
McFadden or someone else? If you mean McFadden, you would hope so.

steeler_george
03-04-2009, 05:27 AM
Just looking over that list, what would be the difference in contracts between Mcfadden and Barnes?

LT- STARKS
LG-KEMO
C-HARTWIG
RG-COLON
RT- BARNES

BACK UP G/C-STAPLETON, ROOKIE
BACK UP T- HILLS, ROOKIE

CB- IKE, GAY, TOWN, ROOKIE

Would the money be well spent on a starting RT? Giving us more flexibility in the draft to draft BPA (CB/DL) and the potential to develop depth and future starters on the OL from the mid to lower rounds?

As for the CB- Still looks solid, I don't see any difference except for depth. But the rook could also be a playmaker, something that the CB are lacking.

BURGH86STEEL
03-04-2009, 06:51 AM
The longer they remained unsigned, the chances increase for a team that isn't known to spend.

1.Igor Olshansky, DE
2.Bryant McFadden, CB
3.Khalif Barnes, OT
4.Shaun Cody, DE
5.Leigh Bodden, CB
6.Byron Leftwich, QB
7.Chris McAlister, CB
8.Dewayne Robertson, DT
9.George Foster, OT
10.Mike Furrey, WR
11.Ronald Currey, WR
12.Trai Essex, OT
13.Mike Wright, DE
14.Chris Carr, CB
15.Drew Bennett, WR

Could be that some teams are waiting to see how the draft plays out. Maybe the players over value themselves and are asking to much money?

Iron Shiek
03-04-2009, 08:23 AM

1.Igor Olshansky, DE
2.Bryant McFadden, CB
3.Khalif Barnes, OT
4.Shaun Cody, DE
5.Leigh Bodden, CB
6.Byron Leftwich, QB
7.Chris McAlister, CB
8.Dewayne Robertson, DT
9.George Foster, OT
10.Mike Furrey, WR
11.Ronald Currey, WR
12.Trai Essex, OT
13.Mike Wright, DE
14.Chris Carr, CB
15.Drew Bennett, WR

Could be that some teams are waiting to see how the draft plays out. Maybe the players over value themselves and are asking to much money?

Many teams are actually letting the market settle down. The spending spree that happens in the first week is ridiculous, and teams know if they wait it out, useful free agents can still be had at much more reasonable prices. Smart to me...

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-04-2009, 09:58 AM
Olshansky would be interesting. He is already a 3-4 DE, how often are we able to sign guys like that with NFL experience?

26 years old, replacing Travis K. who is 34. Save 8 years and you use some of the money that we save by releasing Kirschke - $1.15M.

I would also move Essex up the list in terms of the chance he could sign. He is familiar with the organization, wouldn't cost much, and most of all he provides something that Tomlin loves - position flexibility.

RuthlessBurgher
03-04-2009, 10:17 AM
Olshansky would be interesting. He is already a 3-4 DE, how often are we able to sign guys like that with NFL experience?

26 years old, replacing Travis K. who is 34. Save 8 years and you use some of the money that we save by releasing Kirschke - $1.15M.

I would also move Essex up the list in terms of the chance he could sign. He is familiar with the organization, wouldn't cost much, and most of all he provides something that Tomlin loves - position flexibility.

I'm assuming that Olshansky will want to go to one of the 3-4 teams who have a starting spot open for a 3-4 DE, as opposed to coming here to be a backup who rotates in only to give Smith and Keisel the occassional breather. I have to admit, though, that it would be cool to have an "Igor" on the team. If that happened, we would have to convince Ike to start using his given name of "Ivan" as well. :)

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-04-2009, 10:45 AM

I'm assuming that Olshansky will want to go to one of the 3-4 teams who have a starting spot open for a 3-4 DE, as opposed to coming here to be a backup who rotates in only to give Smith and Keisel the occassional breather. I have to admit, though, that it would be cool to have an "Igor" on the team. If that happened, we would have to convince Ike to start using his given name of "Ivan" as well. :)

True about Olshansky, but I think that a lot may depend on Smitty. He will be 33 when the season starts. He is also coming off of a very emotional year with his son's health. I can't believe that this did not become a bigger distraction.

His current deal runs through '11, but it would not surprise me if he retired prior to that to spend time with his family. If the team knew that he is planning on '09 being his last year then you bring in Olshansky with the knowledge that he would play in a 3 man rotation this year, and secure a starting spot in '10. That with the idea that he is playing on a legit contender, which most new 3-4 teams cannot say.

steeler_george
03-04-2009, 11:05 AM
Does anyone know how Smith's son is doing?

WoodleyofTroy
03-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Khalif Barnes is visiting the Raiders, and 3-4 DE Mike Wright from the Patriots is visiting with the Cardinals.

MeetJoeGreene
03-04-2009, 05:02 PM

Then we could call him Ivan the Terrible Hands

WoodleyofTroy
03-04-2009, 05:06 PM

Or Ivan Dropo (Drago).

MeetJoeGreene
03-04-2009, 07:12 PM

Or Ivan Dropo (Drago).
:D :D

steelcityrules!!
03-04-2009, 11:08 PM
maybe it was the concussion, 450 sacks, or just the visual of ben being carted off the field on a stretcher... but my list has lefty quite a few notches higher on the "re-sign" list.

like #1.

I'd sign in the following order:

leftwich
bmac
igor
kalif
trai

rest i don't bother with, look to the draft.

WoodleyofTroy
03-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Cross my #1 guy off the list.

Cowboys | Olshansky signed
Fri, 06 Mar 2009 15:40:01 -0800

The Dallas Cowboys have announced they have signed unrestricted free-agent DE Igor Olshansky (Chargers) to a four-year deal. Financial terms were not disclosed.

Khalif Barnes is being reported as close to signing with the Raiders as well.

Top FA Updated:
In - Roy Williams S
Out - 1.Igor Olshansky DE, 3.Khalif Barnes T

1. Bryant McFadden, CB
2. Shaun Cody, DE
3. Leigh Bodden, CB
4. Byron Leftwich, QB
5. Chris McAlister, CB
6. Trai Essex, OL
7. Roy Williams, S
8.Dewayne Robertson, DT
9.George Foster, OT
10.Mike Furrey, WR
11.Ronald Currey, WR
12.Mike Wright, DE
13.Chris Carr, CB
14.Drew Bennett, WR

Steel Life
03-07-2009, 08:26 AM
I'll take a shot at this using a more pragmatic approach...

1. Byron Leftwich, QB
2. Shaun Cody, DE
3. Ronald Currey, WR
4. Trai Essex, OT
5. Justin Miller, KR/CB
6. Leonard Weaver, FB
7. William Joseph, DT
8. Scott Young, OG
9. Will Heller, TE
10. Charles Spencer, DT project

WoodleyofTroy
03-11-2009, 12:20 AM
1. Shaun Cody, DE
2. Khalif Barnes, T
3. Byron Leftwich, QB
4. Trai Essex, OL
5. Torry Holt, WR
6. Chris McAlister, CB
7. Roy Williams, S
8. Dewayne Robertson, DT
9. George Foster, OT
10.Mike Furrey, WR
11.Joey Galloway, WR
12.Justin Miller, CB
13.Ronald Currey, WR
14.Mike Wright, DE
15.Chris Carr, CB

frankthetank1
03-11-2009, 07:29 AM
is anyone else suprised that leftwich is still a fa? im kinda shocked. i figured he had a starting job locked up some where in the nfl. hopefully he will come back as a back up for one more year

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-11-2009, 08:38 AM
I'm also surprised about Leftwich still being out there. I seems that he would be such a great choice for a team like Detroit. A vet who won't get rattled while everything around him is collapsing.

IMO the Lions would be stupid to draft a QB with their pick, the guy will end up as the next David Carr. He will be so worried about survival and mired in losing that he won't have the chance to develop.

Grab a vet QB, build a strong line and a solid D then put your QB in place and let him learn the game in comfort.

Oviedo
03-11-2009, 09:35 AM
is anyone else suprised that leftwich is still a fa? im kinda shocked. i figured he had a starting job locked up some where in the nfl. hopefully he will come back as a back up for one more year

He was on Mike and MIke this morning and he told them that he is really confused about why there is no interest. He said a couple of folks contacted him but nothing serious. He also said he would be receptive to returning to the Steelers because working with Tomlin and being part of the organization was his most enjoyable year ever in the NFL.

I think he is running into the "young QB" fad in the NFL. Teams seem to want young guys and a QB who washed out elsewhere is not of much value anymore.

RuthlessBurgher
03-11-2009, 09:38 AM

He was on Mike and MIke this morning and he told them that he is really confused about why there is no interest. He said a couple of folks contacted him but nothing serious. He also said he would be receptive to returning to the Steelers because working with Tomlin and being part of the organization was his most enjoyable year ever in the NFL.

I think he is running into the "young QB" fad in the NFL. Teams seem to want young guys and a QB who washed out elsewhere is not of much value anymore.

That works for me! We need a reliable veteran backup. Leftwich enjoyed his time here more than any other year in the NFL. No one else is offering him a chance at a starting gig. Make it happen!

Oviedo
03-11-2009, 10:04 AM

That works for me! We need a reliable veteran backup. Leftwich enjoyed his time here more than any other year in the NFL. No one else is offering him a chance at a starting gig. Make it happen!

I agree. With Ben's propensity to get nailed Leftwich could be one of those players who could save a season. Batch and Dixon won't.

frankthetank1
03-11-2009, 10:16 AM

I agree. With Ben's propensity to get nailed Leftwich could be one of those players who could save a season. Batch and Dixon won't.

this is great news!! if leftwich stays in pitt for at least another year i will be very happy. i dont have much confidence in batch any more and zero confidence in dixon. the young qb fad thing is strange to me. i could definetly see teams like the jets or the bucs being interested in lefty. they are ok teams that have some age so they do want to win immediately but neither team has a qb. why take a chance with a rookie?