View Full Version : Free agency? Holding your own best move of all

fordfixer
03-03-2009, 10:47 PM
Free agency? Holding your own best move of all
March 3, 2009
By Pete Prisco
CBSSports.com Senior Writer

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11453340/2

The Pittsburgh Steelers won a Super Bowl last month with arguably one of the worst offensive lines in the history of the big game.

At least it appeared that way on paper. They played better than their reputation, and good enough in the three-game postseason run.

It was a five-man group the Steelers brass put together from drafting of players, one free agent, and an injury replacement at left tackle. After playing well in the playoffs, it was a line the Steelers wanted to keep together, a five-man unit they felt is good enough to win a title again.

So when two of the starters from that Super Bowl line were set to become unrestricted free agents, the Steelers did what they do as well as any team in the league.

They kept their own.

That's why they've won two Super Bowls in four years and a considered one of the top teams in the league heading into 2009.

It's really not rocket science to be successful in this league, and the Steelers are proof. The formula: Draft well, make sure you keep your own when you want them, and then have replacements in place when you think it's time to let a player walk.

The Steelers have not signed one player from another team in this year's free-agency market. They've actually lost one in third receiver Nate Washington and might lose corner Bryant McFadden.

But they've kept the guys they want. They re-signed tackle Max Starks and guard Chris Kemoeatu.

"Fortunately, most of our free agents, 90-95 percent of them, they want to stay," Steelers director of player personnel Kevin Colbert said at the scouting combine. "I'm not just talking this year, I'm talking years past. They're going to give us an opportunity. Now, they have to do what they have to do for them from a financial standpoint, we understand that. But if we have a chance to match what they're going to get, that's good. Most of our guys want that opportunity to stay here."

With Washington gone, the Steelers are ready with Limas Sweed and Martin Nance, second-year players ready to step in and play.

At the beginning of free agency in the 1990s, teams sometimes looked past their own players at the chance to land a player from another team. But that wasn't always successful. You had to assimilate players into what you wanted them to do for your team. It was an adjustment. Their families had to move, and that could be a strain on a player.

Not happy at home, not happy at work.

That led to the recent notion that maybe somebody else's trash really wasn't your treasure after all, Maybe your treasure was actually hidden right there on your roster.

"Back then," said one AFC personnel director. "We all thought it was better to sign people just for the sake of signing people. It made us look good. We didn't give our own guys the attention they deserved."

Fast forward to this year. While there has still been an early frenzy of players going from one team to another, the market was thinned greatly due to so many teams using the franchise tag on players. A record 14 players were franchised, limiting their ability to move.

"I think the franchise tags have changed over the course of free agency, and a big part of that of that is, teams are doing a much better job of keeping their own guys so there is a more limited group of free agents that are available," Colbert said.

The Atlanta Falcons were active last year in the first year of general manager Thomas Dimitroff on the job. Coming off a terrible 2007 season, the Falcons had so many holes they had to fill free agency was a strong option. They signed running back Michael Turner and handful of others.

But after an 11-5 season, and a playoff berth, the Falcons have changed their thinking. They haven't signed one free agent, but they have kept defensive end Chauncey Davis, a player they targeted.

"I think free agency in general throws a lot of things off. When you look at it from a business perspective and you look at our cap, ultimately that's not how we want to personally build," Dimitroff said. "We want to stress the draft. To throw double-digit millions in guaranteed money and a high average per year money into a player who is not a part of your system and coming from another situation, that really has me back on my heels a little bit to be honest with you."

I couldn't agree more. So if your team hasn't signed any marquee players, don't fret. In fact, give them props.

Keeping your own now is much more important than bringing in somebody else's castoffs. Teams are finely wising up to that.

Northern_Blitz
03-03-2009, 11:41 PM
Another positive of signing your own is that they don't cost you comp picks.

For example, assume that we let Kemo walk and signed a guy for about $4M/season. The new guy is likely about the same as Kemo (because we don't make huge FA signings), but we'd loose the comp we will get for Nate. So really signing Kemo is like signing Kemo and picking up a 4th or 5th round pick next year.

RuthlessBurgher
03-04-2009, 12:14 AM
I'm surprised an article like this found the light of day and was actually published by a major news service. Typically, the media fawns over guys like Dan Snyder who make the "splash" signing (or two, or three, or four, or more) that pundits think might put his team over the top (they never do). He is just digging the hole deeper for himself. The last time he had a spending spree, he had to cut other players without big names like, Ryan Clark, for instance. Whoops. Meanwhile, the "cheap" owners are actually building a winning (but boring) football team instead of assembling a fantasy roster that the media can get excited about. Remember what happened to last season's anointed "off-season champions?"

Oviedo
03-04-2009, 09:44 AM
I've said a million times on this board. Free Agency is for crap teams who are desperate to keep their fan base happy. It typically results in boom and bust cycles of winning and losing because you eventually have to blow up your roster to create cap space.

The Steelers do it right:

1. Keep your own players at a reasonable price after they prove their value
2. Only use free agency to get mid range pick ups for value to fill short term gaps (notable exception James Farrior)
3. Build through the draft and make players prove they deserve to wear the uniform before you reward them.

Using a paraphrase I used yeaterday: "The symbol on the right side of the helmet is more important than the name on the back of the jersey"

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-04-2009, 10:21 AM
The proper use of FA is to find complimentary players to help put you over the top, or to find the young foundation player who will give you a base to work around in several years.

The first type is the Keyaron Fox, Mewelde Moore type signing. Almost insignificant, but used to upgrade areas of our game. A good way to put a good team over the top.

If you are going to sign a Haynesworth, then you approach it differently. He is still young enough for you to build around. He is your cornerstone and you build your D around him over the next two years or so. IMO you cannot just drop him into place and believe that the D continues to run smoothly plus an upgrade at his position.

RuthlessBurgher
03-04-2009, 10:26 AM
I've said a million times on this board. Free Agency is for crap teams who are desperate to keep their fan base happy. It typically results in boom and bust cycles of winning and losing because you eventually have to blow up your roster to create cap space.

The Steelers do it right:

1. Keep your own players at a reasonable price after they prove their value
2. Only use free agency to get mid range pick ups for value to fill short term gaps (notable exception James Farrior)
3. Build through the draft and make players prove they deserve to wear the uniform before you reward them.

Using a paraphrase I used yeaterday: "The symbol on the right side of the helmet is more important than the name on the back of the jersey"

We've gotten other starters besides James Farrior that were more than just short term gap fillers (like Ryan Clark, Jeff Hartings, Wayne Gandy, Kevin Greene, Will Wolford, etc.). The common thread, though, is that they always were part of the "second wave" of free agency after all of the piranhas stopped circling and offering ridiculous money in the first few days of the free agent period.

feltdizz
03-04-2009, 11:07 AM
I'm surprised an article like this found the light of day and was actually published by a major news service. Typically, the media fawns over guys like Dan Snyder who make the "splash" signing (or two, or three, or four, or more) that pundits think might put his team over the top (they never do). He is just digging the hole deeper for himself. The last time he had a spending spree, he had to cut other players without big names like, Ryan Clark, for instance. Whoops. Meanwhile, the "cheap" owners are actually building a winning (but boring) football team instead of assembling a fantasy roster that the media can get excited about. Remember what happened to last season's anointed "off-season champions?"

Snyder goes hard in free agency to sell more season tickets...

every year it's "look at me, I'm trying to make us better with a FA star" but like you said..

every time he signs a big time FA he has to let 2 or 3 guys go.. and those 2 or 3 guys cost them 2 games the next year and they end up missing the playoffs and do the FA thing all over again.

RuthlessBurgher
03-04-2009, 11:12 AM

Snyder goes hard in free agency to sell more season tickets...

every year it's "look at me, I'm trying to make us better with a FA star" but like you said..

every time he signs a big time FA he has to let 2 or 3 guys go.. and those 2 or 3 guys cost them 2 games the next year and they end up missing the playoffs and do the FA thing all over again.

The thing is, though, that Washington has no problem selling season tickets. They have a huge stadium and a long waiting list. Washington is not a good sports town (the Wizards, Capitals, and Nationals all have had attendance issues over the past few years), but it is a huge Redskins town. All the fat cats on Capital Hill want to have the prestige of Skins tickets since they are the big thing in town. So Snyder's decisions are not to sell tickets...it is just because he knows about as much about what it takes to build a winning football team as my grandmother.