PDA

View Full Version : White: ‘I would love to be a Pittsburgh Steeler’

fordfixer
03-03-2009, 09:37 PM
White: ‘I would love to be a Pittsburgh Steeler’
Posted: Draft | NFL.com Staff | Tags: NFL Network, Pat White

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/03/white-i ... h-steeler/ (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/03/white-i-would-love-to-be-a-pittsburgh-steeler/)

Former West Virginia quarterback Pat White was in-house Tuesday at the NFL Network and NFL.com, taping segments to go on the Network and chatting live with fans online.

Talking with White in the “Green Room” before, after and during our chat brought out a few interesting points. One, he said that he wants to remain at quarterback and during his interviews with teams, he estimates that only two of the 32 NFL teams are giving him serious consideration at the position. Two, if there’s one team White is hoping will take him, that’s the Pittsburgh Steelers (White comes from a Steelers family — in Alabama). Three, he will work some at receiver during his pro day workouts.

White is training at Velocity Sports Performance in Irvine, Calif., with around 20 other NFL hopefuls, including USC’s Mark Sanchez, Purdue’s Curtis Painter, Fresno State’s Tom Brandstater and Nate Brown of Central Arkansas. He’s in a two month program there leading up to his pro day on March 12.

Here’s a look at the various Pro Day workout dates.

Be on the lookout tonight for White on NFL Network Total Access (7 p.m. ET). He orchestrates a QB route-running demonstration with Rich Eisen, Terrell Davis and Warren Sapp.

Shanklin_25
03-03-2009, 11:30 PM
Pat White in a Steelers uniform as what? KR?, WR?, Backup to the backup to the backup QB?. While his college carrer appears spectacular, I don't believe he has a niche in the NFL. Undrafted FA or very late round pick at best.

papillon
03-03-2009, 11:45 PM
Pat White in a Steelers uniform as what? KR?, WR?, Backup to the backup to the backup QB?. While his college carrer appears spectacular, I don't believe he has a niche in the NFL. Undrafted FA or very late round pick at best.

I'd love to know what two teams are looking at White as a quarterback? :wft

Pappy

Snatch98
03-03-2009, 11:59 PM

Not with the way his combine went and his explosiveness with the ball. He threw the best out of all the QB's at the combine and ran a 4.49, not a chance in hell he goes undrafted and I'll be surprised if he makes it past round 4.

True Fan
03-04-2009, 12:00 AM

I'd love to know what two teams are looking at White as a quarterback? :wft

Pappy

probably detroit and the lions

Jooser
03-04-2009, 12:01 AM
Say whatever you want about Pat White, but don't knock his abilities. He came out of the combine as one of the top 5 QBs (not to mention the Senior Bowl MVP). His college career at WVU was stellar, and included four bowl wins, including two BCS wins over UGA and Oklahoma. He's a competitor and loves the Steelers and has said many times he'd love to be here. He's a step up over Dixon at QB and can give the offense an added dimension as far as unpredictability. Just don't knock the dude because he's a WVU QB. He's a great athlete and will conribute in the NFL, much like Steve Slaton did last season (who produced a hell of a lot more than our 1st round pick, Mendy).

WoodleyofTroy
03-04-2009, 12:05 AM

You could of said the same thing about Hines Ward, Antwaan Randle El, Joshua Cribbs, Brad Smith, Michael Robinson, etc.

He's a 3rd round pick whether you like it or not.

papillon
03-04-2009, 12:05 AM
Say whatever you want about Pat White, but don't knock his abilities. He came out of the combine as one of the top 5 QBs (not to mention the Senior Bowl MVP). His college career at WVU was stellar, and included four bowl wins, including two BCS wins over UGA and Oklahoma. He's a competitor and loves the Steelers and has said many times he'd love to be here. He's a step up over Dixon at QB and can give the offense an added dimension as far as unpredictability. Just don't knock the dude because he's a WVU QB. He's a great athlete and will conribute in the NFL, much like Steve Slaton did last season (who produced a hell of a lot more than our 1st round pick, Mendy).

He's a bad quarterback and a great athlete. I wouldn't mind him being a Steeler at a position other than quarterback, no earlier than the 5th round and he could be the emergency quarterback w/o declaring him as such. He isn't getting drafted to be a QB (not a starter anyhow).

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
03-04-2009, 12:06 AM

It helped Slaton's chances to shine that he was able to play the entire season and the Texans had pretty much nothing else but an old, injured Ahman Green as competition for the marquee RB job, while Mendenhall was backing up a guy who was leading the league in rushing through week 15 the year before, and when he finally did get a chance to start because of injury, his collarbone broke. When Rashard is fully healed and has a chance to shine in his own right, I predict he will be a heck of a lot better than Steve Slaton.

ROLROC
03-04-2009, 12:28 AM
from Eddie B's chat:

Ed Bouchette: I did not attend the combine, thank goodness. It's the most overrated sports event in history. It's also the only sports event that newspapers, TV and radio keep covering without being allowed to watch. It's ridiculous. Pat White, I was told, had a tremendous combine. The STeelers believe he'll go in the second round but should go in the first.

Mister Pittsburgh
03-04-2009, 12:39 AM
from Eddie B's chat:

Ed Bouchette: I did not attend the combine, thank goodness. It's the most overrated sports event in history. It's also the only sports event that newspapers, TV and radio keep covering without being allowed to watch. It's ridiculous. Pat White, I was told, had a tremendous combine. The STeelers believe he'll go in the second round but should go in the first.

Which means if he is there in the 3rd with one of our two 3rds odds are we have a shot at taking him. Colbert isn't afraid so drop a pick on a project. If he can return punts/kicks he could be a very dangerous weapon.

Jooser
03-04-2009, 01:13 AM
OK, first of all let me say, I'm not into arguing with yinz about opinions. But, to say Pat isn't a good QB is just off base. He led the Mountaineers to 2 BCS wins as a QB of a Division I NCAA team. The guy's got a crazy-strong arm and was drafted by the Angels out of high school. About Steve Slaton, Ruthless, the guy put up 1,000+ yrds. with an OL that absolutely sucked. Mendy might be a great talent, but to put him above Slaton as a 'superior' back isn't justified. The jury is still out on Mendy, but Slaton has proven himself to be a starting RB in the NFL, AG is beside the point. Mendy had his chance to shine when our All - Pro RB went down to injury, and he sustained one himself, this doesn't show that he's any better than any other rookie RB in the league last year. Steve Slaton, though, showed that he is. Your comparison is not accurate. Pat White may be better suited to be a WR/slash whatever, but what makes him any worse than Dixon who never had the stats or MAJOR BCS wins that Pat White had.

Jooser
03-04-2009, 01:16 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f0decd

Why so much attention then, are they just bored?

RuthlessBurgher
03-04-2009, 01:27 AM
OK, first of all let me say, I'm not into arguing with yinz about opinions. But, to say Pat isn't a good QB is just off base. He led the Mountaineers to 2 BCS wins as a QB of a Division I NCAA team. The guy's got a crazy-strong arm and was drafted by the Angels out of high school. About Steve Slaton, Ruthless, the guy put up 1,000+ yrds. with an OL that absolutely sucked. Mendy might be a great talent, but to put him above Slaton as a 'superior' back isn't justified. The jury is still out on Mendy, but Slaton has proven himself to be a starting RB in the NFL, AG is beside the point. Mendy had his chance to shine when our All - Pro RB went down to injury, and he sustained one himself, this doesn't show that he's any better than any other rookie RB in the league last year. Steve Slaton, though, showed that he is. Your comparison is not accurate. Pat White may be better suited to be a WR/slash whatever, but what makes him any worse than Dixon who never had the stats or MAJOR BCS wins that Pat White had.

I wasn't knocking Slaton...I was just commenting on your statement that he produced a hell of a lot more than our 1st round pick, Mendy. Sure it is true, but he had a entire season to show what he could do while Mendenhall only had one quarter as "the man" before a broken bone did him in through no fault of his own, just dumb luck. I still think Mendenhall can be a franchise back. Frankly, Slaton surprised me last season. I thought he could be a solid 3rd down back type in the pros, but he showed that he has chops to be a good every down back...I'll give him props for proving me wrong.

It is kind of similar to the way I feel about Nate and Sweed.

I think Sweed has the talent to be a better player than Nate, but Nate has been there and done that already. Nate has shown what he can do in this league, so he gets respect for that, but I think that Sweed has the potential to do even better when given the chance (which is only an opinion at this point, since he has not had the same opportunity).

Similarly, I think Mendenhall has the talent to be a better player than Slaton, but Slaton has been there and done that already. Slaton has shown what he can do in this league, so he gets respect for that, but I think that Mendenhall has the potential to do even better when given the chance (which is only an opinion at this point, since he has not had the same opportunity).

calmkiller
03-04-2009, 09:44 AM
Pat white will be a 2nd round pick. Saying he is a late round/FA is just insane. All he ever did in College was put his team on his back time after time and win football games. I guess its the old WVU vs Pitt hatred that is showing here but I will be damned if I am stupid enough to say someone sucks just because of where they played college ball. That is just you being a moron. 2nd round pick, and the kid will shine at the next level.

Jooser
03-04-2009, 12:31 PM
Pat white will be a 2nd round pick. Saying he is a late round/FA is just insane. All he ever did in College was put his team on his back time after time and win football games. I guess its the old WVU vs Pitt hatred that is showing here but I will be damned if I am stupid enough to say someone sucks just because of where they played college ball. That is just you being a moron. 2nd round pick, and the kid will shine at the next level.

:Clap Thank you.

AngryAsian
03-04-2009, 12:34 PM
We already have Pat White on the team... his name is Dennis Dixon.

Oviedo
03-04-2009, 12:51 PM
White will be one of those talented players who struggles to find a niche in the league. Unfortunately his position about being a QB first is eventually going to make him a career back up versus a potential starting receiver.

Chavezz
03-04-2009, 01:03 PM

Shine as what?

ANPSTEEL
03-04-2009, 01:03 PM

Dennis Dixon is a much better passer.

i get a lot of... "whatever" responses when I bring this topic up- but Dennis Dixon will be a starter in this league- at some point. He is on this team as insurance, and investment. The Steelers will trade him prior to him becoming a FA - for a 2nd round pick (maybe even a 1st if he gets significant playing time.)

White will be one of those talented players who struggles to find a niche in the league. Unfortunately his position about being a QB first is eventually going to make him a career back up versus a potential starting receiver.

after watching him on NFLN last night- it sounds to me that he is open to switching positions.

If he is determined to stay at QB, you've got yourself Kordell v.2
If he moves- you've got El v.2

he's probably a better passer than Kordell was, but not as good as El.

RuthlessBurgher
03-04-2009, 01:15 PM

Like Seneca Wallace in Seattle.

Jooser
03-04-2009, 01:36 PM
:roll:

Snatch98
03-04-2009, 02:10 PM

Not the same kind of player. Dixon definitely has some wheels but he is in no way, shape or form the elusive runner a team will find in White. White would be a very good return man with the slash ability. Rich Eison, Sapp, TD and Adam S discussed where he should end up and two of them said Pittsburgh.

Snatch98
03-04-2009, 02:11 PM

See Josh Cribbs, only White is more explosive and a much, much better QB.

EDIT: and White lite it up at the Combine as a QB and the senior bowl. I'm not sure how people are saying he's not better than El at QB or Dixon for that matter. I thought the knock on Dixon coming out was his accuracy wasn't always the best?

Jooser
03-04-2009, 02:39 PM
The main reason I wasn't too keen on picking up Dixon last year was that we could have held out to this year and gotten a much better player in White.

RuthlessBurgher
03-04-2009, 02:43 PM
The main reason I wasn't too keen on picking up Dixon last year was that we could have held out to this year and gotten a much better player in White.

But Dixon was a bargain in the 5th round. We would likely have to use our 2nd round pick on White. That's too high for a back-up QB when you have so many other needs.

Snatch98
03-04-2009, 02:46 PM

But Dixon was a bargain in the 5th round. We would likely have to use our 2nd round pick on White. That's too high for a back-up QB when you have so many other needs.

I can't say I'm on the Pat White in the 2nd round train. However he likely wouldn't be a back up QB for us but rather a return man and the occasional emergency QB if we needed. His best attribute is his ability to run the football and his elusiveness. If we drafted him it would be for those reasons and not his ability to sling the football. He's also a high character guy.

ANPSTEEL
03-04-2009, 03:44 PM

See Josh Cribbs, only White is more explosive and a much, much better QB.

EDIT: and White lite it up at the Combine as a QB and the senior bowl. I'm not sure how people are saying he's not better than El at QB or Dixon for that matter. I thought the knock on Dixon coming out was his accuracy wasn't always the best?

I'm not bagging on White, when i make the comparisons..

Randell El- set a BUNCH of records while at Indiana- the only reason he was not drafted to play QB was his height.

Dennis Dixon would have won the heisman if not injured, and while his performance his senior season was a huge improvement over his earlier years... imo, he has the best deep ball since jeff blake and is a better all around athlete. The key with Dixon will be his ability to read the defenses. Which is why sitting him for a few years to learn is very valuable for him. If he were to be tossed into the heat right now, you'd end up with a shell shocked qb and a reclamation project.

Back to Pat White- the only scenario in which i can see the Steelers drafting him is

- Dixon has progressed along enough so that they don't resign either Batch or Leftwich, and take white to be a #3qb / 4th receiver.

I cant really see this as happening-

so my point is, unless he is committed to being a WR- not a QB - the Steelers are not going to draft him.

just my opinion.

calmkiller
03-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Personally I don't want to get into this discussion because my bias will clearly come out and I want to be a level headed voice. Pat White broke a couple of Randle El's records and is the all time leading rushing QB. He said he wanted to play QB, but would be open to whatever position he was asked to play.

Arians has already been quoted as saying we would draft a WR. I dunno if this would have an effect on drafting White but its something to think about.

Personally I was upset last year that we drafted Dixon because it most likely killed my dream of seeing White in Black and Gold. He is such a high character guy and a fighter he reminds me so much of the type of person the steelers target. Much like Owen Schmitt last year.

feltdizz
03-04-2009, 06:15 PM
Personally I don't want to get into this discussion because my bias will clearly come out and I want to be a level headed voice. Pat White broke a couple of Randle El's records and is the all time leading rushing QB. He said he wanted to play QB, but would be open to whatever position he was asked to play.

Arians has already been quoted as saying we would draft a WR. I dunno if this would have an effect on drafting White but its something to think about.

Personally I was upset last year that we drafted Dixon because it most likely killed my dream of seeing White in Black and Gold. He is such a high character guy and a fighter he reminds me so much of the type of person the steelers target. Much like Owen Schmitt last year.

I hear you... but as a PITT fan I have watched Pat White struggle anytime he is forced to be a passer. If it's 3rd and 15.. White is not completing a pass for a first down. They did try to pass more this year to get him more looks from scouts.. he has a decent arm but he is not accurate at all.

Those who say he is better then Dennis Dixon have never watched Dennis Dixon in college. He was in a spread option that passed a lot more then Pat White at WVU.
Pat White is fast and shifty... but he gets hurt a lot and although they aren't serious injuries they cost his teams games.. I often wondered if he has the mental and physical toughness for the NFL. HE has the skills to be an ARE but he was a little soft when his team needed him. Let me say... Pat White was a beast and tore up the NCAA's.. but anytime WVU needed to win a game to get to the BCS championship.. White came up short and looked like Kordell Stewart on a bad day...

As a PITT fan I was highly disappointed with his play at home 2 years ago when they lost to a bad PITT team.. Pat sat out 2 quarters with a sore left wrist (his non throwing hand) and the refs tried desperately to keep WVU in the game.

No thanks... unless he is a 5th rounder and is willing to be another slash.

I'll say this.. anyone who like Pat White, watch the last 2 PITT games and you will see why he is not a good look for us as a QB.

Chadman
03-04-2009, 06:23 PM

In related news, Chadman would also love to be a Pittsburgh Steeler.

Chadman should be available in the late 4th round- much better value.

ANPSTEEL
03-04-2009, 07:29 PM

i was gonna mention that you would be available, but i figured since you had that run in with the dingo- you'd probably be on the board until the 6th.

:lol: :lol:

Chadman
03-04-2009, 08:08 PM

i was gonna mention that you would be available, but i figured since you had that run in with the dingo- you'd probably be on the board until the 6th.

Yes, well you must take recent injuries into calculation...

What incredible value Chadman would be in the 6th!

ANPSTEEL
03-05-2009, 12:03 AM

Yes, well you must take recent injuries into calculation...

What incredible value Chadman would be in the 6th!

no doubt.

plus, the locker room would then have the added bonus of participating in meetings while you referred to yourself in third person. that would of course be hilarious to watch.

:lol:

calmkiller
03-05-2009, 09:16 AM

I hear you... but as a PITT fan I have watched Pat White struggle anytime he is forced to be a passer. If it's 3rd and 15.. White is not completing a pass for a first down. They did try to pass more this year to get him more looks from scouts.. he has a decent arm but he is not accurate at all.

Those who say he is better then Dennis Dixon have never watched Dennis Dixon in college. He was in a spread option that passed a lot more then Pat White at WVU.
Pat White is fast and shifty... but he gets hurt a lot and although they aren't serious injuries they cost his teams games.. I often wondered if he has the mental and physical toughness for the NFL. HE has the skills to be an ARE but he was a little soft when his team needed him. Let me say... Pat White was a beast and tore up the NCAA's.. but anytime WVU needed to win a game to get to the BCS championship.. White came up short and looked like Kordell Stewart on a bad day...

As a PITT fan I was highly disappointed with his play at home 2 years ago when they lost to a bad PITT team.. Pat sat out 2 quarters with a sore left wrist (his non throwing hand) and the refs tried desperately to keep WVU in the game.

No thanks... unless he is a 5th rounder and is willing to be another slash.

I'll say this.. anyone who like Pat White, watch the last 2 PITT games and you will see why he is not a good look for us as a QB.

He passed 10 times in the 07 game. The game wasn't lost because of pat. The coach lost that game. But again I don't want to get into that argument.

grotonsteel
03-05-2009, 02:40 PM
Pat White is not a QB in NFL.

I don't think Pat White can replace Dennis Dixon as a 3rd QB. Maybe they are looking at him as a WR/PR/KR guy then they can spend a 5th Rd pick on him.

I would prefer Steelers get a CB like Joe Burnett in 4th or a WR like D Williams in Rd 2 over Pat white for PR/KR duties.

feltdizz
03-05-2009, 04:53 PM
He passed 10 times in the 07 game. The game wasn't lost because of pat. The coach lost that game. But again I don't want to get into that argument.

wasn't won because of him either..
:D sorry couldn't resist.

but seriously... how many times has Pat converted a long 3rd down through the air? Strangely enough, I'm a big fan of his when he doesn't play PITT.. and his accuracy is a problem. He throws a tight spiral but it's all over the place in game/pressure situations...

Jooser
03-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Pat had ZERO NFL quality WRs in his whole career at WVU also. So, I can't honestly say that his accuracy was a problem all the time when his WRs couldn't run a route to save their lives. Also, 70% of the offensive pass play calling was within a few yards of the LOS so, again, not all Pat's fault. You Pitt guys should lay off, after all how many BCS games or even Big Easy championships did you guys win while Pat was at WVU?

Oviedo
03-05-2009, 05:26 PM
Pat White is not a QB in NFL.

I don't think Pat White can replace Dennis Dixon as a 3rd QB. Maybe they are looking at him as a WR/PR/KR guy then they can spend a 5th Rd pick on him.

I would prefer Steelers get a CB like Joe Burnett in 4th or a WR like D Williams in Rd 2 over Pat white for PR/KR duties.

I would prefer Steelers get a CB like Joe Burnett in 4th or a WR like D Williams in Rd 2 over Pat white for PR/KR duties

I concur

feltdizz
03-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Pat had ZERO NFL quality WRs in his whole career at WVU also. So, I can't honestly say that his accuracy was a problem all the time when his WRs couldn't run a route to save their lives. Also, 70% of the offensive pass play calling was within a few yards of the LOS so, again, not all Pat's fault. You Pitt guys should lay off, after all how many BCS games or even Big Easy championships did you guys win while Pat was at WVU?

ZERO ZILCH NADA and yet they beat Pat and WVU the last 2 years...

like I said earlier... I'm a fan of Pat White.. but the kid can't or should I say couldn't throw when forced to in college.