PDA

View Full Version : Birk Visits Ravens

calmkiller
03-03-2009, 02:27 PM
http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=2572

PFT

BIRK TO VISIT BALTIMORE
Posted by Mike Florio on March 3, 2009, 10:45 a.m.

In the end, Vikings free-agent center Matt Birk might continue to wear purple. The only hitch is that it would be mixed with heavy doses of black.

According to the Minneapolis Star Tribune, Birk is expected to visit the Ravens.

And this could be much more serious than the Warner might sign with San Fran/Costanza might have a house in the Hamptons charade.

For starters, the Ravens lost their starting center, Jason Brown, four days ago to the Rams.

Let’s also not rule out the fact that agent Joe Linta represents not only Birk but also Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco. Though it’s not the kind of connection that makes Birk’s decision to sign with Baltimore a fait accompli (gratias, Tiki), the fact that Linta does business with both men is the kind of thing that could prompt Linta to try to help grease the skids to get a deal done — especially since Linta has a vested interest in Flacco not being regularly assaulted by nose tackles who might be able to pick up and throw some seventh-round slappy at the young quarterback’s legs.

So, basically, its time for the Vikings to stop playing hardball (or, as the case may be, Chilly ball) with a hometown hero who doesn’t want to leave and offer him a fair deal to keep him in purple . . . and white and yellow.

Sign him and we only have to worry about Miami taking Mack.

RuthlessBurgher
03-03-2009, 02:28 PM
http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=2572

PFT

BIRK TO VISIT BALTIMORE
Posted by Mike Florio on March 3, 2009, 10:45 a.m.

In the end, Vikings free-agent center Matt Birk might continue to wear purple. The only hitch is that it would be mixed with heavy doses of black.

According to the Minneapolis Star Tribune, Birk is expected to visit the Ravens.

And this could be much more serious than the Warner might sign with San Fran/Costanza might have a house in the Hamptons charade.

For starters, the Ravens lost their starting center, Jason Brown, four days ago to the Rams.

Let’s also not rule out the fact that agent Joe Linta represents not only Birk but also Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco. Though it’s not the kind of connection that makes Birk’s decision to sign with Baltimore a fait accompli (gratias, Tiki), the fact that Linta does business with both men is the kind of thing that could prompt Linta to try to help grease the skids to get a deal done — especially since Linta has a vested interest in Flacco not being regularly assaulted by nose tackles who might be able to pick up and throw some seventh-round slappy at the young quarterback’s legs.

So, basically, its time for the Vikings to stop playing hardball (or, as the case may be, Chilly ball) with a hometown hero who doesn’t want to leave and offer him a fair deal to keep him in purple . . . and white and yellow.

Sign him and we only have to worry about Miami taking Mack.

Miami just signed ex-Raider center Jake Grove, so they are already out of the running for Mack. However, if the Vikings lose Birk to the other purple team, it is possible that they could enter the fold for Mack.

calmkiller
03-03-2009, 02:43 PM
Fail. What spot do the Vikings currently hold? Higher than we can trade for correct?

RuthlessBurgher
03-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Fail. What spot do the Vikings currently hold? Higher than we can trade for correct?

Minnesota picks 22nd. In order to get ahead of them, we would have to give up our 1.32 and 2.64 picks (590 + 270 = 860) for Philly's 1.21 and 4.117 picks (800 + 60 = 860).

calmkiller
03-03-2009, 02:57 PM
That is not worth it.

Mel Blount's G
03-03-2009, 03:04 PM
Birk's been one of the best centers in the league for a number of years now. I'd rather he not sign with our division rival

MaxAMillion
03-03-2009, 03:46 PM
There are severaly quality Center prospects out there. The Steelers don't need to trade up for Mack. I think Wood will be just as good if not better.

RuthlessBurgher
03-03-2009, 04:09 PM
That is not worth it.

No...I don't think so either...the only way I consider parting with my 2nd round pick would be if Michael Oher fell within reach. I might consider parting with my regular 3rd round pick to move up and get Mack (since we should get an untradeable comp pick at the end of the 3rd round for Faneca).

calmkiller
03-03-2009, 04:36 PM
There are severaly quality Center prospects out there. The Steelers don't need to trade up for Mack. I think Wood will be just as good if not better.

I have seen Wood get pushed back in college, I don't care to see him go against a 380 pound DT in a Steelers Uniform. I already saw that happen. Mahan was his name.