PDA

View Full Version : Miami is one less team drafting a Center in Round 1

Oviedo
03-03-2009, 02:01 PM
Adam Schefter
Miami continues to invest in OL, signs Grove
Posted: March 3rd, 2009 | Adam Schefter | Tags: Jake Grove, Miami Dolphins

No person believes more in the importance of building a strong offensive line than Bill Parcells. And no team has invested more money in its offensive line than the Miami Dolphins.

Miami did it again Tuesday, signing former Raiders center Jake Grove to a five-year, $29.5 million deal that includes $14 million in guaranteed money.

Now, in less than 12 months, the Dolphins have given a $57 million contract to offensive tackle Jake Long, a $42 million contract to Vernon Carey, a $25 million contract to Justin Smiley and a $29.5 million contract to Grove. Along with second-year guard Donald Thomas, whom Miami seems to be high on, this well could be the Dolphins’ starting offensive line this season.

Signing Grove gives Miami the center it believes it needs to combat the towering and imposing defensive tackles in the AFC East such as New England’s Vince Wilfork, New York’s Kris Jenkins and Buffalo’s Marcus Stroud.

It also gives Parcells and general manager Jeff Ireland the type of offensive line they helped construct in Dallas, where running backs had holes to run through and Tony Romo had time to throw.

In one year, Miami has built one of football’s top young lines. It was not particularly cheap, but it will be highly effective.

Lebsteel
03-03-2009, 02:04 PM
OUTSTANDING!! Cincinnati and Baltimore still need one, but Cinci will have to wait until Rd. 2 and hopefully the Ratbirds go LB or CB. Who else needs a center?

calmkiller
03-03-2009, 03:38 PM
The Vikings?

MaxAMillion
03-03-2009, 03:43 PM
I agree with Parcells about building up the lines. There are multiple early round picks along the OL. I am hoping the Steelers add two OL among their first four picks.

Oviedo
03-03-2009, 03:51 PM
I agree with Parcells about building up the lines. There are multiple early round picks along the OL. I am hoping the Steelers add two OL among their first four picks.

Two out of the first four would be about right. One more somewhere in rounds 5-7.

If I were king:

Rd1: DL
Rd2: OL
Rd3a: OL
Rd3b: DL/DB/WR
Rd4:
Rd5: OL
Rd6:
Rd7:
Rd7:

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
03-03-2009, 04:51 PM
If we wanted a C in the 1st rnd we would of drafted NICK MANGOLD out of OSU a few years ago--I doubt we draft a C guys, if we do it would be one that can play a solid guard also!

I think we go D-Line or CB if McFadden leaves.

RuthlessBurgher
03-03-2009, 05:16 PM
If we wanted a C in the 1st rnd we would of drafted NICK MANGOLD out of OSU a few years ago--I doubt we draft a C guys, if we do it would be one that can play a solid guard also!

I think we go D-Line or CB if McFadden leaves.

Well, Mack has all of the physical ability that Mangold had, plus he won the Draddy Award (the academic Heisman) while graduating from Berkeley. Big, strong, mean, and smart...sounds like a guy the Steelers would want.

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
03-03-2009, 05:25 PM
I like Mack, he can play G also where I think our more immediate need is.
I am thinking we move up or back-I dont think we will be picking at 32.

Chadman
03-03-2009, 06:29 PM
Teams that might be looking at INTERIOR OL help would be-
Buffalo (Too early for Mack)
Denver (Wacky enough team to reach for Mack- Weigemann is 300 years old)
Philadelphia (Need young bodies- 2 first round picks give them some flexability)
Minnesota (If Birk leaves)
Baltimore (If Birk doesn't sign)
Detroit (Could use Mack at OG to replace Mulitula or move Riola over to OG)
Indianapolis (Could be a sneaky one- Saturday is 34)
Arizona (Can YOU name the center for the Cards?)

In Chadman's estimation, Detroit at #20, Minnesota at #22 & Baltimore at #26 are the most likely teams to select Mack before the Steelers get a shot.

If Mack falls past Minnesota, Chadman expects the Steelers would look to trade up to grab him.

If the Steelers DON'T trade up, the Cards will select him before the Steelers pick.

The wildcard is Denver- a team so hard to diagnose around draft time. They are wacky enough to just grab Mack at #12.

RuthlessBurgher
03-03-2009, 07:24 PM
I believe Indy selected Mike Pollak in the 2nd round last year and then Steve Justice later in the draft (both centers in college). Pollak is already starting at guard, but could move over to center when Saturday leaves (just like we could potentially do with Mack).

pfelix73
03-04-2009, 11:39 AM
Don't forget about Unger or Wood in round 2 or even Shipley from PSU in the 3rd.

ANPSTEEL
03-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Teams that might be looking at INTERIOR OL help would be-
Buffalo (Too early for Mack)
Denver (Wacky enough team to reach for Mack- Weigemann is 300 years old)
Philadelphia (Need young bodies- 2 first round picks give them some flexability)
Minnesota (If Birk leaves)
Baltimore (If Birk doesn't sign)
Detroit (Could use Mack at OG to replace Mulitula or move Riola over to OG)
Indianapolis (Could be a sneaky one- Saturday is 34)
Arizona (Can YOU name the center for the Cards?)

In Chadman's estimation, Detroit at #20, Minnesota at #22 & Baltimore at #26 are the most likely teams to select Mack before the Steelers get a shot.

If Mack falls past Minnesota, Chadman expects the Steelers would look to trade up to grab him.

If the Steelers DON'T trade up, the Cards will select him before the Steelers pick.

The wildcard is Denver- a team so hard to diagnose around draft time. They are wacky enough to just grab Mack at #12.

exactamundo-

the more i look at it, the more i am convinced the steelers would have to trade up to get mack.

RuthlessBurgher
03-04-2009, 01:29 PM
Don't forget about Unger or Wood in round 2 or even Shipley from PSU in the 3rd.

Other teams ahead of us may think the same thing, though. If they can wait and get Unger, Wood, Luigs, Caldwell, or Shipley later, they may not feel the need to jump on Mack in round 1. If Mack were the only legit center prospect in the draft, then I would worry. But with a half dozen of them out there, the teams ahead of us may look to fill other positions of need first, and will look to draft a center in rounds 2 or 3 instead, allowing Mack to fall into our laps at #32. At least that is what I keep telling myself. :)

ANPSTEEL
03-04-2009, 06:02 PM

Other teams ahead of us may think the same thing, though. If they can wait and get Unger, Wood, Luigs, Caldwell, or Shipley later, they may not feel the need to jump on Mack in round 1. If Mack were the only legit center prospect in the draft, then I would worry. But with a half dozen of them out there, the teams ahead of us may look to fill other positions of need first, and will look to draft a center in rounds 2 or 3 instead, allowing Mack to fall into our laps at #32. At least that is what I keep telling myself. :)

well look at that, take baltimore off the list!!

Oviedo
03-04-2009, 06:10 PM

well look at that, take baltimore off the list!!

If Birk signs he is old as dirt. They still may look at a Center early but with the loss of Scott and Lewis being on the backside of his career I have to think they will be looking LB possibly CB or WR.

Eddie Spaghetti
03-04-2009, 06:18 PM
looks like mack will probably be there if we want him.

could some of these signings push wood down to us at 64?

Bandito
03-05-2009, 01:14 AM
Cardinals with the 63rd pick