PDA

View Full Version : Cromartie on trading block?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-03-2009, 09:48 AM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/02/roundup ... ing-block/ (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/02/roundup-cromartie-could-be-on-the-trading-block/)

Antonio Cromartie was one of the most celebrated cornerbacks in 2007. He was coming off his first (of what many believed was soon-to-be many) Pro Bowl appearances and was a troublesome thorn in Peyton Manning’s side with four interceptions against him in just one season. Cromartie had eyes on breaking Dick “Night Train” Lane’s single season record of 14 interceptions. He finished with two and was hampered by a hip injury in 2008.

Now the San Diego Union-Tribune is reporting that Cromartie could be on the trade block. And for added irony, he could be replaced by Drayton Florence — the guy who Cromartie replaced. Florence signed with the Jaguars last season, but was recently released. The UT is reporting that the two sides are currently talking.

What would you give up? Steelers 2nd? Better than McFadden? I guess the big question is signability....Thoughts!

I just checked and it looks like he is under contract until 2011.

papillon
03-03-2009, 09:52 AM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/02/roundup-cromartie-could-be-on-the-trading-block/

Antonio Cromartie was one of the most celebrated cornerbacks in 2007. He was coming off his first (of what many believed was soon-to-be many) Pro Bowl appearances and was a troublesome thorn in Peyton Manning’s side with four interceptions against him in just one season. Cromartie had eyes on breaking bad word “Night Train” Lane’s single season record of 14 interceptions. He finished with two and was hampered by a hip injury in 2008.

Now the San Diego Union-Tribune is reporting that Cromartie could be on the trade block. And for added irony, he could be replaced by Drayton Florence — the guy who Cromartie replaced. Florence signed with the Jaguars last season, but was recently released. The UT is reporting that the two sides are currently talking.

What would you give up? Steelers 2nd? Better than McFadden? I guess the big question is signability....Thoughts!

Good corner and I can't imagine him signing for less than Bmac, unless, the injury is serious and there isn't a guarantee that he'll ever be 100% again.

Pappy

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-03-2009, 09:53 AM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/02/roundup-cromartie-could-be-on-the-trading-block/

Antonio Cromartie was one of the most celebrated cornerbacks in 2007. He was coming off his first (of what many believed was soon-to-be many) Pro Bowl appearances and was a troublesome thorn in Peyton Manning’s side with four interceptions against him in just one season. Cromartie had eyes on breaking bad word “Night Train” Lane’s single season record of 14 interceptions. He finished with two and was hampered by a hip injury in 2008.

Good corner and I can't imagine him signing for less than Bmac, unless, the injury is serious and there isn't a guarantee that he'll ever be 100% again.

Pappy

I just checked and he is under contract until 2011. Did he get injured during the playoff game?

Lebsteel
03-03-2009, 10:33 AM
How about Willie Parker? They could release LT and they'd be set....

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-03-2009, 01:00 PM
How about Willie Parker? They could release LT and they'd be set....
Interesting thought. If Mendenhall had a full season with success I think Parker could be trade bait but with the ??? still on Mendenhall, I think Willie is still here. Cromartie's contract would be cheaper than any FA. With 3 years left on the deal he could get a new contract from the Steelers when that one is up. The highest I would go is a 2nd and I don't think that gets it done.

WoodleyofTroy
03-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Imagine if Ike Taylor could catch the ball. He'd hands down be the most popular Corner in the league. That's Cromartie. Of course he's better than McFadden, and I doubt they'd accept anything less than a 1st rounder, if they're even thinking about trading him at all.

steelernation77
03-03-2009, 01:49 PM
Apparently he had an absolutely terrible season last year and the organization really soured on him. That being said, I think he'd benefit from our pass rush and Tomlin has a history of developing DBs. A guy with Cromartie's talent could be good with some coaching up. It'd be nice to have another playmaker in the secondary, even if he does get beat on occasion.

steelblood
03-03-2009, 01:57 PM
Imagine if Ike Taylor could catch the ball. He'd hands down be the most popular Corner in the league. That's Cromartie. Of course he's better than McFadden, and I doubt they'd accept anything less than a 1st rounder, if they're even thinking about trading him at all.

First rounder for a guy who played poorly last year? I don't think so. I think the Steeler's second rounder would do it.

Lonbull
03-03-2009, 01:57 PM
If Cromartie were 100% healthy, and if we could get him on our squad with his current contract running until 2011 then I would be willing to give up our first round pick (#32) on him.

He'll be 25 next year.

He's familiar with a 3-4 defense.

The kid is clearly a star in the making - and now the #1 defense in the league just got (perhaps) the #1 Cornerback in the league.

** I highly doubt that San Diego would trade Cromartie to the Steelers, and I also doubt that Steeler Management would take on a guy with that kind of contract - but if I were presented with the deal I'd gladly trade away the #32.

L.B.

steelernation77
03-03-2009, 02:03 PM
We should definitely NOT give up a first for him. The guy they are signing, Drayton Florence, to replace Cromartie in this hypothetical, is the same guy that Cromartie replaced when he came in the league. That should send up some red flags right away.

Also, he is not the #1 corner in the league, never was. He got a lot of picks two seasons ago. Deltha O'Neal use to get a lot of picks, but he was never the best. Cromartie got beat alot last season.

Most discussion has mentioned a 2nd rounder for him. His value is low.

Lonbull
03-03-2009, 02:14 PM
Also, he is not the #1 corner in the league, never was. He got a lot of picks two seasons ago. Deltha O'Neal use to get a lot of picks, but he was never the best. Cromartie got beat alot last season.

He was only in his third year last year - and if he wasn't the #1 Corner in 2007 who was?

Do you remember when Ike Taylor was benched just a few years ago? Sometimes players go through rough spots, and then sometimes the coaching is bad - Seeing how San Diego under Norv Turner hasn't been stellar - this could be the case where both of these factors could be at play.

Again a lot of things would have to happen for me to use the #32, and it likely wouldn't happen - but I highly doubt a team is going to get Cromartie with their 3rd round pick which are the only picks below our 2nd round pick.

If the Steelers could get him with a # 64 under this contract I think he would excel in Pittsburgh.

L.B.

steelernation77
03-03-2009, 02:20 PM

He was only in his third year last year - and if he wasn't the #1 Corner in 2007 who was?

Do you remember when Ike Taylor was benched just a few years ago? Sometimes players go through rough spots, and then sometimes the coaching is bad - Seeing how San Diego under Norv Turner hasn't been stellar - this could be the case where both of these factors could be at play.

Again a lot of things would have to happen for me to use the #32, and it likely wouldn't happen - but I highly doubt a team is going to get Cromartie with their 3rd round pick which are the only picks below our 2nd round pick.

If the Steelers could get him with a # 64 under this contract I think he would excel in Pittsburgh.

L.B.

I am in no way saying that he is bad as a player, just not as good as some make him out to be.
As far as better corners, Champ Bailey and Nnamdi Asomugha come immediately to mind. Just because they didn't get a lot of picks doesn't mean they weren't shutting down receivers.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-03-2009, 02:59 PM
Now that I read into his injury last year I beginning to think a 2nd would be the "high" asking price. I think now I would give up a 3rd this year with a conditional 2010 pick. It looks like he played the entire season with some type of hip fracture. I would have to give him a physical before any consideration. Still like the talent and the contract (5-year, $12.5 million contract with $7.35 million guaranteed 2011) but health is a concern. Could be asking for a new contract and maybe that is why the Chargers are looking to trade.

Lonbull
03-03-2009, 03:01 PM
I am in no way saying that he is bad as a player, just not as good as some make him out to be.

That's fair.

As far as better corners, Champ Bailey and Nnamdi Asomugha come immediately to mind. Just because they didn't get a lot of picks doesn't mean they weren't shutting down receivers.

IMO - Champ Bailey can be a little hit or miss at this point in his career - however I think his defense in Denver has been neglected a little over the past few seasons - and also he'll be 31 years old this season. Something to consider when comparing him to Cromartie.

Nnamdi Asomugha - is certainly a quality CB, and like you said probably one of the best. However comparing the two - Antonio Cromartie has more career INT's than Asomugha (despite the fact that Asomugha has played 6 seasons, compared to Cromatie's 3). And Antonio Cromartie has averaged more tackles (39.6 a season compared to Asomugha's 37.5). Both players have only one appearance as both Pro Bowlers and First Team All-Pro

So while anyone can make the arguement that Asomugha is much better - there's plenty of room to debate that Cromartie is just as good at this point in his career - or at least could could be if he fixes some of the issues he had from last season.

Perhaps I'd be better understood if I wrote that I'm not saying Cromartie is worth a 1st rounder (or even a second rounder) - but I wouldn't have a problem if the Steelers felt he was and made the appropriate moves to get him.

L.B.

feltdizz
03-03-2009, 03:28 PM
hmmm.... I don't know..

Where was he last year? Is he a head case? Has he lost confidence? I've seen Troy look pretty average when he played injured.

That being said you have to wonder what D San Diego played last year? Did they play more zone then man to man? Could he succeed in a zone blitz scheme or would he get impatient and gamble too much? Can he TACKLE?

and last but not least.. Pittsburgh is cold? Is he just ehhh.. when he isn't in a dome in Indy or in 75 degree weather.

No way we go after him.

Snatch98
03-03-2009, 04:17 PM
I'd give up a 2nd for Cromartie in a New York minute. He's a big corner with good hands and great run after the catch or this case run after the pick ability. Isn't he like 6'2? If he can be had for a 2nd and McFadden goes we definitely need to pull the trigger. He was banged up last year nothing less, nothing more. I'm on the trade for Cromartie train if this is a possibility.

feltdizz
03-03-2009, 05:17 PM
I'd give up a 2nd for Cromartie in a New York minute. He's a big corner with good hands and great run after the catch or this case run after the pick ability. Isn't he like 6'2? If he can be had for a 2nd and McFadden goes we definitely need to pull the trigger. He was banged up last year nothing less, nothing more. I'm on the trade for Cromartie train if this is a possibility.

losing BMac and going for Cromartie isn't the Steeler way.. I doubt it happens.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-03-2009, 05:27 PM

I doubt it happens because SD will probably want too much. But the last time the Steelers were in a pinch they got a decent deal and traded for Bettis. If it does happen...It would be nice if it turned out like that!

SteelerOfDeVille
03-03-2009, 05:35 PM
Larry Brown....

Mel Blount's G
03-03-2009, 05:41 PM
Agreed on most said here:
- pretty much an Ike who can catch; tall, lanky CB. Anyone not remember his one-handed pick 2 years ago?
- disappointing season last year, injuries or not, coming off that huge year before
- S'not the steeler way but if the cards offer b-mac a huge offer that we refuse to match then I would strongly consider doing a #64 for crom deal. Is considered replaceable by SD with jammer, cason + florence being re-signed. Florence was well liked in SD. That SD FO has done some very stupid things in the past and this might be one of them. Howvere, it's more likely the steeler way to draft a cb with #64 than to trade it for A-Crom

Snatch98
03-03-2009, 05:44 PM

Right. However you can't give up a draft pick for McFadden. You can on the other hand give up a draft pick for Cromartie which I would do in a second.

Mel Blount's G
03-03-2009, 11:49 PM
End of discussion. Ills just signed drayton florence

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Apparently he had an absolutely terrible season last year and the organization really soured on him. That being said, I think he'd benefit from our pass rush and Tomlin has a history of developing DBs. A guy with Cromartie's talent could be good with some coaching up. It'd be nice to have another playmaker in the secondary, even if he does get beat on occasion.

I don't think that it is a coincidence that he had a poor year the same season that Merriman went down. The same way that Ike was so bad in '06 that Cowher benched him when we had no pass rush.

San Diego was the 25th ranked D and 22nd in sacks last year with 28. By comparison they were 5th in sacks in '07 with 42, and first in '06 with 61. It is amazing how a strong pass rush can make a CB that much better.

Interesting to note: In our two SB years we were tied for third in sacks in '05 (47) and second last year (51). Many people think that sacks are an overrated stat, but it is a barometer for the amount of pressure that the D applies. Pressure creates incompletions and interceptions as well as sacks. No D can thrive without the ability to apply pressure.

anger 82&95
03-04-2009, 05:04 PM
San Diego Union-Trib quote:

"Even if Drayton Florence returns to the Chargers, Antonio Cromartie won't be leaving.

So says Chargers G.M. A.J. Smith.

League sources had said the Chargers were quietly floating the idea of putting Cromartie on the block if they signed Florence.

"He's not being traded," Smith said today."

LasVegasGuy
03-04-2009, 05:34 PM
He will probably get traded to the Patriots for a 7th round pick in 2013. Add another AFC West team raped by the Patriots.