PDA

View Full Version : Brian Robiskie

steelcityrules!!
03-02-2009, 11:20 PM
I watched him at the combine and thought he was one of them better all-around WR's to perform. seemed focused, glue-like hands, and mature for his years.

is he projected 2nd-3rd round... and would he be worth it to grab at #64 if he is there for the taking?

Mister Pittsburgh
03-02-2009, 11:49 PM
Nice size/speed combo. I wouldn't be opposed to a WR in round two if it was an upgrade to what we got and an immediate #3 replacement for Nate. And also, if they felt Sweed won't be ready or is a major letdown. I have high hopes for Sweed but got a bit leery of him when reports kept being mentioned of him dropping passes all the time in practice as well, when there is no pressure.

papillon
03-03-2009, 12:11 AM
Nice size/speed combo. I wouldn't be opposed to a WR in round two if it was an upgrade to what we got and an immediate #3 replacement for Nate. And also, if they felt Sweed won't be ready or is a major letdown. I have high hopes for Sweed but got a bit leery of him when reports kept being mentioned of him dropping passes all the time in practice as well, when there is no pressure.

Sweed is #3 right form the first day of camp; the job is his to lose. A draft choice isn't supplanting Sweed until Sweed fails, which isn't likely. I do like a WR, just not in the 2nd round.

Pappy

Lebsteel
03-03-2009, 12:16 AM

Sweed is #3 right form the first day of camp; the job is his to lose. A draft choice isn't supplanting Sweed until Sweed fails, which isn't likely. I do like a WR, just not in the 2nd round.

Pappy

We need to grab a WR, but as Pappy says, not in Rd. 2. I think Rd. 4 or 5 would get us a #4 WR. I have high expectations for Sweed this year, as I'm sure everyone does.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-03-2009, 11:29 AM
now if Robiskie is there at the end of the 3rd.....

Oviedo
03-03-2009, 11:30 AM

Pappy

We need to grab a WR, but as Pappy says, not in Rd. 2. I think Rd. 4 or 5 would get us a #4 WR. I have high expectations for Sweed this year, as I'm sure everyone does.

Round 4 or 5 is about right and we need to get someone who has the ability to get yards after the catch. Some candidates: Deon Butler, Mike Thomas, Jordan Norwood, Sammie Stroughter, Austin Collie and Quan Cosby.

steelblood
03-03-2009, 02:07 PM

Pappy

Ridiciulous. What has Sweed earned? He had 8 catches in the regular and post season. He also had 3 terrible drops. He has a lot to prove and supposing that the job is his to lose is simply wrong. If we drafted a guy like Robiske with his hands, composure, maturity, football intelligence, and route running savy, I think the battle would be on, and Sweed could easily become the #4 receiver.

proudpittsburgher
03-03-2009, 02:47 PM

Pappy

Ridiciulous. What has Sweed earned? He had 8 catches in the regular and post season. He also had 3 terrible drops. He has a lot to prove and supposing that the job is his to lose is simply wrong. If we drafted a guy like Robiske with his hands, composure, maturity, football intelligence, and route running savy, I think the battle would be on, and Sweed could easily become the #4 receiver.

Only three? It seemed like a lot more.

feltdizz
03-03-2009, 03:15 PM
I watched him at the combine and thought he was one of them better all-around WR's to perform. seemed focused, glue-like hands, and mature for his years.

is he projected 2nd-3rd round... and would he be worth it to grab at #64 if he is there for the taking?

Hell to the no!!! I'm sorry... Holmes worked out great but he was playing in a much more talented Big Ten then Robiskie was...

anything before a late 3rd I would be mad.. although I do think Sweed needs to be challenged. He has done nothing besides attend Texas to this point IMO as a WR...

feltdizz
03-03-2009, 03:20 PM

I agree... I'm praying Sweed steps up.. but from what I saw last year I'm not sold on him at all... I found it rather odd people are happy Nate is gone and Sweed is now our #3. I thought drops were the reason Nate was hated?

I'm not sold on Robiskie though... the Big Ten was terrible last year... I have no idea if he is legit or not. No different then Sweed at Texas or Crabtree at TT.. sure they caught a ton of passes and had highlighs but have you seen Big 12 ball? It's like watching a globetrotters game. No defensive stops... just tons of offense.

steelcityrules!!
03-03-2009, 09:38 PM
I guess I'm not so concerned with the level of competition in the big 10 this season as I am with the measurables, football knowledge, and talent of the individual players.

I'm not gunning for a WR in the early rounds again, but was hoping to get a bit more info and insight into the player robiskie, especially for our system. The guy seems to be very professional, smart, and "low maintenance" if you catch my drift.

and I'm excited about the potential of sweed, but by no means have I locked him in as a future starter. I was hoping nate would stick around to be honest.

Mick'sTeam
03-03-2009, 09:52 PM

I agree with SOD. IF he is there with either of our 3rd round picks (assuming we get a 3rd rd comp pick for Faneca), I would grab him in a heartbeat. Hines isn't getting any younger.

feltdizz
03-04-2009, 06:24 PM
I guess I'm not so concerned with the level of competition in the big 10 this season as I am with the measurables, football knowledge, and talent of the individual players.

I'm not gunning for a WR in the early rounds again, but was hoping to get a bit more info and insight into the player robiskie, especially for our system. The guy seems to be very professional, smart, and "low maintenance" if you catch my drift.

and I'm excited about the potential of sweed, but by no means have I locked him in as a future starter. I was hoping nate would stick around to be honest.

I just don't think he is the answer to our needs right now. I agree though.. I was a big NAte fan.. but he isn't worth what TN paid him.

WoodleyofTroy
03-04-2009, 06:29 PM
I'm not sold on Robiskie though... the Big Ten was terrible last year... I have no idea if he is legit or not. No different then Sweed at Texas or Crabtree at TT.. sure they caught a ton of passes and had highlighs but have you seen Big 12 ball? It's like watching a globetrotters game. No defensive stops... just tons of offense.

If you're not sold on Michael Crabtree then I don't expect you to be sold on anyone until they've been in the NFL for at least 3 years. So basically don't take any Big Ten players this year? I'm not sure what you're getting at...would you have not selected Dominique Rodgers Cromartie last year? Maybe I'm just misunderstanding your point here.

SteelBucks
03-04-2009, 06:38 PM

I agree with SOD. IF he is there with either of our 3rd round picks (assuming we get a 3rd rd comp pick for Faneca), I would grab him in a heartbeat. Hines isn't getting any younger.

This is a pretty weak draft for WR's, so I doubt he'll be there in the 3rd round. He may be available when the Steelers pick in the 2nd.

I watched Robiskie for 4 years at OSU and he's a good WR. Nothing flashy but he runs crisp routes and has good hands. His pro day is March 13th....I'm sure the Steelers will send scouts to take a look.

AngryAsian
03-04-2009, 07:33 PM
2000: Burress and Marvel
2001: Hampton and Bell
2002: Simmons and Randle El
2003: Polamalu and Jackson
2004: Roethlisberger and Colclough
2005: Miller and McFadden
2006: Holmes and Smith
2007: Timmons and Woodley
2008: Mendenhall and Sweed

The history of our 1 and 2 picks since the turn of the century have proven to be quite successful (with the exception of the Alonzo and Ricardo). All the noted above have at one point or another have contributed to the team's success. Our 2008 picks have yet to truly prove their metal, and most on this board said the same of Woodley and Timmons last year around this time. Sweed will get more chances this seasson and with have yet another year of familiarity with the system we are trying to run. I think that both Mendenhall and Sweed will have big impacts this season.

As for Robiskie. An interesting prospect.... very Nate-esque in size and speed.

feltdizz
03-04-2009, 07:41 PM

If you're not sold on Michael Crabtree then I don't expect you to be sold on anyone until they've been in the NFL for at least 3 years. So basically don't take any Big Ten players this year? I'm not sure what you're getting at...would you have not selected Dominique Rodgers Cromartie last year? Maybe I'm just misunderstanding your point here.

I'm not big on WR from the Big Ten right now.. especially after last year. tOSU wasn't that good of a passing team to really see what the guy can do...

back with Holmes and Gonzalez I got to see them in action a lot..
Robiskie not so much. He could be a steal but I'm not sold on him or anyone other then Beanie Wells on offense at tOSU.. I know nothing about their OL though...

I'm not saying all of the Big Ten players suck.. I'm just saying the Big Ten wasn't that impressive last year and I'm not sold on Robiskie at WR due to what I saw against Big Ten competition. It could be the QB rotation they had though...

As far as Crabtree is concerned. Texas Tech always puts up huge numbers.. and I watched enough Big 12 ball to know that the last team with the ball usually won the game. I'm not sure if OC's are genniuses in the Big 12 but the DC's were getting killed.

I'm not sure if Crabtree is legit.. just my opinion. He is good but is he NFL good?

jrobitaille23
03-04-2009, 08:52 PM
This is actually a very strong WR class. Maybe strongest of all the positions this year. That said...we have Nance, Sweed, Holmes and Ward. Not sure I would take a WR with first 3 picks. However, if we get a second third rounder I would like to use that for one.

RuthlessBurgher
03-04-2009, 09:40 PM
2000: Burress and Marvel
2001: Hampton and Bell
2002: Simmons and Randle El
2003: Polamalu and Jackson
2004: Roethlisberger and Colclough
2005: Miller and McFadden
2006: Holmes and Smith
2007: Timmons and Woodley
2008: Mendenhall and Sweed

The history of our 1 and 2 picks since the turn of the century have proven to be quite successful (with the exception of the Alonzo and Ricardo). All the noted above have at one point or another have contributed to the team's success. Our 2008 picks have yet to truly prove their metal, and most on this board said the same of Woodley and Timmons last year around this time. Sweed will get more chances this seasson and with have yet another year of familiarity with the system we are trying to run. I think that both Mendenhall and Sweed will have big impacts this season.

We can excuse the awful AJax and Coke-lee picks when they each came immediately after a potential HoF candidate in the first round of those 2 drafts (Troy and Ben). And Anthony Smith doesn't really count, since he was a 3rd round pick (after trading our 3rd and 4th round picks to the Giants to be able to get Santonio, we traded our 2nd round pick to Minnesota for their 2 third rounders, which we used for Anthony Smith and Willie Reid...ugh). It is hard to believe that if Marvel and BMac sign elsewhere, the only 2nd round picks on our team will be the guys from the last 2 drafts, Woodley and Sweed.

mshifko
03-04-2009, 10:55 PM
robiskie is a technician...he runs crisp routes, catches the ball well...the guy is a flat out player. i know i'm partial, but robiskie is going to be a good pro...his dad has taught and preached to him the concepts of being a successful WR in the NFL, he does all the little things right...

steelcityrules!!
03-04-2009, 11:00 PM
robiskie is a technician...he runs crisp routes, catches the ball well...the guy is a flat out player. i know i'm partial, but robiskie is going to be a good pro...his dad has taught and preached to him the concepts of being a successful WR in the NFL, he does all the little things right...

and that is precisely the type of guy we need to put in the slot.
would be cool if he tweaked his ankle at his pro day and freaked everyone out, and he fell to our pick in the 3rd.

:stirpot

mshifko
03-04-2009, 11:26 PM

and that is precisely the type of guy we need to put in the slot.
would be cool if he tweaked his ankle at his pro day and freaked everyone out, and he fell to our pick in the 3rd.

:stirpot

that'd be too good to be true...i have faith in sweed though. i think we can draft a decent WR in the 4th round to step in and compete with the loser of the #3 spot/nance/whoever and become our no. 4 WR

Steel Life
03-05-2009, 01:48 AM
I'd rather have Nicks, Britt or White. Robiskie is nothing special...

feltdizz
03-05-2009, 04:16 PM

I'll be honest.. I haven't watched combines but I watched a few Buckeye games last year and besides Wells and the LB... I just didn't see enough passes to say he is that kind of WR...

the hard thing about scouting WR's in college is most are wide open so it's hard to get a feel for them in traffic or beating a quality WR.

tOSU struggled last year and the Senior QB was terrible.. the freshman is good at running but he threw balloons.. I don't remember Robiskie ever having a game that made me say wow.. watch out.. mostly it was wow, who blew the coverage.

steelcityrules!!
03-05-2009, 09:35 PM

I'll be honest.. I haven't watched combines but I watched a few Buckeye games last year and besides Wells and the LB... I just didn't see enough passes to say he is that kind of WR...

the hard thing about scouting WR's in college is most are wide open so it's hard to get a feel for them in traffic or beating a quality WR.

tOSU struggled last year and the Senior QB was terrible.. the freshman is good at running but he threw balloons.. I don't remember Robiskie ever having a game that made me say wow.. watch out.. mostly it was wow, who blew the coverage.

yea, I haven't watched enough of his highlights or games, so i don't really know. But, we didn't see a ton of action from guys like ronnie brown, or felix jones in college to say they are guaranteed studs... it's about smarts, football skills, and desire.

who knows, maybe he would be a good fit, maybe he's nothing more than a hyped up daddies boy.

feltdizz
03-05-2009, 11:31 PM
[quote="Steel Life":1i435l42]I'd rather have Nicks, Britt or White. Robiskie is nothing special...

yea, I haven't watched enough of his highlights or games, so i don't really know. But, we didn't see a ton of action from guys like ronnie brown, or felix jones in college to say they are guaranteed studs... it's about smarts, football skills, and desire.

who knows, maybe he would be a good fit, maybe he's nothing more than a hyped up daddies boy.[/quote:1i435l42]

Well.... I watch a lot of college ball and CBS showed a ton of Felix Jones in the SEC because McFadden was on the team. I watched Jones rip runs on the LSU team that won the BCS 2 years ago...

but with McFadden as the feature and running the wildcat the question was if he benefited from the attention McFadden received.

Ronnie Brown also got a ton of exposure at Auburn because Cadillac Williams and him split time..

both these backs ran hard in the SEC and if you can run in the SEC you are going to get a look by NFL scouts...

but Robiskie? Not so much... maybe it's because the Big Ten Network screwed up their exposure... but since I lived in eastern Kentucky for 3 years... I saw a ton of Big Ten football the last 2 years before I moved... and Robiskie was not a stand out like Gonzalez and Holmes...

again.. maybe it was the QB but hey... he didn't stand out.

steelcityrules!!
03-07-2009, 02:45 PM
for what it's worth, Mayock has robiskie as an early 2nd rounder on the NFL networks "path to the draft". He was raving about all the pedigree/intangibles, but also noted that he runs some of the best routes and ALWAYS catches the ball, said he could be an instant #2/#3 contributing receiver. Although his ceiling isn't as high as a guy like nicks or crabtree, he's more polished and ready to contribute as a rookie.

interesting.

If he slips to the end of the 2nd it might be a decent selection considering nate is gone and sweed is still cutting his teeth.

Steel Life
03-07-2009, 03:45 PM
Our 2nd-rounder is better spent on a lineman or impact player - not a 3rd or 4th WR, those can be found in later rounds.

steelblood
03-07-2009, 04:08 PM

I see where you get this comparision, but I don't think they are really alike very much at all.

Even though Robiske ran well at the combine, he is not Nate-esque. He is a little bigger and much stronger in the upper body. He will wrestle the ball away from defender much more easily than Nate did. He is waaaaay more sure handed and a much better route runner than Nate. He does not possess Nate's quick-twitch athleticism, jumping ability, and 2nd gear to separate from corners.

Robiske will be a possession reciever (good athlete, great technician). Nate (even though he backed up Hines) is more of a big play guy (great athlete, fair to average pass catcher).

feltdizz
03-08-2009, 11:15 AM

I see where you get this comparision, but I don't think they are really alike very much at all.

Even though Robiske ran well at the combine, he is not Nate-esque. He is a little bigger and much stronger in the upper body. He will wrestle the ball away from defender much more easily than Nate did. He is waaaaay more sure handed and a much better route runner than Nate. He does not possess Nate's quick-twitch athleticism, jumping ability, and 2nd gear to separate from corners.

Robiske will be a possession reciever (good athlete, great technician). Nate (even though he backed up Hines) is more of a big play guy (great athlete, fair to average pass catcher).

I don't think a slow possession WR is what we need right now. I would be very upset if we grabbed him.

Chavezz
03-08-2009, 11:17 AM

WR?

WR?

I want Bobbie Carpenter!
:Steel

Oviedo
03-08-2009, 11:42 AM
We don't need to look at WR until Rounds 4,5,6 and then at guys like Deon Butler, Austin Collie, Mike Thomas, Sammie Stroughter, etc.

I'm also not sold on Robiskie in the few games I have seen him play but I'll leave that to the experts to decide. Maybe with the poor QB play he is better than he showed in games.

feltdizz
03-08-2009, 11:52 AM
We don't need to look at WR until Rounds 4,5,6 and then at guys like Deon Butler, Austin Collie, Mike Thomas, Sammie Stroughter, etc.

I'm also not sold on Robiskie in the few games I have seen him play but I'll leave that to the experts to decide. Maybe with the poor QB play he is better than he showed in games.

I agree... who knows how good he is because tOSU was terrible at QB...

with Troy Smith it was easy to see Gonzalez and Holmes talents..
not so much with that scrub Beockman (dude just couldn't put together 4 quarters) or the talented Freshman this year, he threw balloons...

I think we need a slasher underneath.. not a possession WR.

steelcityrules!!
03-08-2009, 12:59 PM

WR?

WR?

I want Bobbie Carpenter!

ohh you jerk...
I knew that was coming.

Chavezz
03-08-2009, 02:03 PM
[quote="steelcityrules!!":142ehzzm]I watched him at the combine and thought he was one of them better all-around WR's to perform. seemed focused, glue-like hands, and mature for his years.

WR?

WR?

I want Bobbie Carpenter!

LOL

I just don't have any desire to see a high draft pick used.

Ward
Holmes
Sweed

You don't need a 1st or 2nd rd 3rd or 4th WR. We have a franchise QB that should be making those mid level players better than they are. Give Ben the time and give the WR's the time to run their routes down field and this team will be better than fine.

ohh you jerk...
I knew that was coming.[/quote:142ehzzm]

steelcityrules!!
03-08-2009, 09:34 PM
[quote="steelcityrules!!":1xt46f7t]I watched him at the combine and thought he was one of them better all-around WR's to perform. seemed focused, glue-like hands, and mature for his years.

WR?

WR?

I want Bobbie Carpenter!

LOL

I just don't have any desire to see a high draft pick used.

Ward
Holmes
Sweed

You don't need a 1st or 2nd rd 3rd or 4th WR. We have a franchise QB that should be making those mid level players better than they are. Give Ben the time and give the WR's the time to run their routes down field and this team will be better than fine.

ohh you jerk...
I knew that was coming.[/quote:1xt46f7t]

I don't really want a WR early, as you know. I think if we were to go that route, I'd want to grab a guy like robiskie... like you said, we have the big WR's, the Fast burner in holmes, and good old hines.

now with bmac gone, I get to root for CB yet again in early rounds!
kinda diggin that kid from Uconn.