PDA

View Full Version : So , this was pretty cool.

Leper Friend
03-02-2009, 04:28 PM
I was eating out with my wife last Saturday and was getting ready to leave. I was wearing a Steelers hat and as I got up to leave an older lady walked over to me out of nowhere and handed me an autographed Anthony Smith photo. She said I'ts good to see a fan and introduced herself as Anthony Smith's mother.I'm not really into autograph's and that kind of thing but it was a real nice gesture and she was really nice and I thanked her a bunch.

She went on to tell me that he was there with a bunch of players eating in the back room.I live in Youngstown and Anthony Smith is from Hubbard , about 20 minutes away. It turns out a bunch of players were in town for the Kelly Pavlik fight.I didn't want to bother anybody so I just thanked her and went to leave.

She went back and as I was walking out the hostess stopped me and pointed to another man waving us down. It was Anthony Smith's stepfather and he said if we wanted we can come back and say hello. I didn't hesitate to say yes.

We walked into the banquet room and Anthony Smith greeted us and told us it was nice to meet a fan.He was really cool and laid back and it was sriking how freaking huge he is. My wife even pointed that out.She doesn't watch alot of football but she thought he was a linebacker,which I understand. He's a monster.

He introduced Ike Taylor who was eating but looked up and smiled and waved. Bryant Mcfadden was there but was already talking to a group of people and didn't really see us. William Gay walked over and went way out of his way to shake our hands and introduce himself and said the same thing about he's always willing to stop and chat with fan's.He was way nice.

There were other players there but I didn't stay too long and didn't recognize any more faces. Although I could have swore one of them was Mike Logan , the old safety.

Anyway , just a really cool night. The guys went out of there way to introduce themselves to me , instead of the other way around,just because I was a fan. It was really cool.That's rare for athletes anymore. It makes you feel good putting so much time and getting emotionally attached to the team when the players really appreciate it.

Snatch98
03-02-2009, 04:40 PM
I hope we hang on to Anthony Smith. I'm not ready to give up on him and he hits like a dump truck. Thanks for the story. Great stuff.

SteelBucks
03-02-2009, 04:47 PM
I was eating out with my wife last Saturday and was getting ready to leave. I was wearing a Steelers hat and as I got up to leave an older lady walked over to me out of nowhere and handed me an autographed Anthony Smith photo. She said I'ts good to see a fan and introduced herself as Anthony Smith's mother.I'm not really into autograph's and that kind of thing but it was a real nice gesture and she was really nice and I thanked her a bunch.

She went on to tell me that he was there with a bunch of players eating in the back room.I live in Youngstown and Anthony Smith is from Hubbard , about 20 minutes away. It turns out a bunch of players were in town for the Kelly Pavlik fight.I didn't want to bother anybody so I just thanked her and went to leave.

She went back and as I was walking out the hostess stopped me and pointed to another man waving us down. It was Anthony Smith's stepfather and he said if we wanted we can come back and say hello. I didn't hesitate to say yes.

We walked into the banquet room and Anthony Smith greeted us and told us it was nice to meet a fan.He was really cool and laid back and it was sriking how freaking huge he is. My wife even pointed that out.She doesn't watch alot of football but she thought he was a linebacker,which I understand. He's a monster.

He introduced Ike Taylor who was eating but looked up and smiled and waved. Bryant Mcfadden was there but was already talking to a group of people and didn't really see us. William Gay walked over and went way out of his way to shake our hands and introduce himself and said the same thing about he's always willing to stop and chat with fan's.He was way nice.

There were other players there but I didn't stay too long and didn't recognize any more faces. Although I could have swore one of them was Mike Logan , the old safety.

Anyway , just a really cool night. The guys went out of there way to introduce themselves to me , instead of the other way around,just because I was a fan. It was really cool.That's rare for athletes anymore. It makes you feel good putting so much time and getting emotionally attached to the team when the players really appreciate it.

Small world. I was born and raised in Hubbard, Ohio and went to High School in Youngstown (Ursuline). It looks as though things won't work out for Anthony Smith in Pittsburgh.....hope he catches on with another team and does well.

RussBII
03-02-2009, 05:04 PM
I hope we hang on to Anthony Smith. I'm not ready to give up on him and he hits like a dump truck. Thanks for the story. Great stuff.

I'm enamored with his hitting ability too, but Ryan Clark hits as hard, if not harder and isn't a knucklehead.

If he can stop being a moron, I'm all for him seeing more playing time. But he's a natural SS and we aren't gonna sit Troy...

To the Original Poster: That's super awesome. I wish I lived close enough to have some Steeler run-ins. You should've thrown something at Ike to see if he'd catch it.

Leper Friend
03-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Small world. I was born and raised in Hubbard, Ohio and went to High School in Youngstown (Ursuline). It looks as though things won't work out for Anthony Smith in Pittsburgh.....hope he catches on with another team and does well.I'm from Boardman btw.

I know a few other people who have run into Anthony Smith and have had nothing but great things to say about him. It just doesn't fit with the reputation he has now. One thing that stuck out to me though , the picture he was handing out was him high stepping after an int. I think it was aginst Cinci. I remember the play because Lebeau went crazy screaming at him afterwards. And this is the photo he uses ? Interesting.

Leper Friend
03-02-2009, 05:23 PM
To the Original Poster: That's super awesome. I wish I lived close enough to have some Steeler run-ins. You should've thrown something at Ike to see if he'd catch it.That made me lol. That would have taken alot of balls. I should have just tossed a dinner roll at him to see what happened. :D

Iron Shiek
03-02-2009, 05:39 PM
HAHA...that is hilarious. Stone hands...

Cool story. Glad to see the guys all hangin out in the off season too. This is just a great team. From stories like this and the one about Ben takin the OL to Chicago, it just seems they are a close knit team. That goes a long way for most successful franchises.

RuthlessBurgher
03-02-2009, 06:02 PM
At first I thought, "why would Anthony Smith be going out of his way to greet a Steeler fan when the team just gave guys like Anthony Madison and Sean McHugh a million dollar RFA tender that they did not even offer to Anthony Smith, making him a free agent?" You would think that a slap in the face like that, telling a former 3rd round draft pick that he was basically unwanted, would have soured him to the organization. Then I see that the story took place "last Saturday" which I assume means 2-21-09, which was before the RFA tenders were given out on Thursday, 2-26-09. Now it makes sense. You probably wouldn't have received the same reaction from Anthony Smith and his family if you ran in to them this past Saturday, 2-28-09.