PDA

View Full Version : Leftwich?

SteelStallion
03-02-2009, 01:24 PM
I'm suprised with the number of teams that need a qb that nobody made a play for him. Anybody know anything?

SteelerOfDeVille
03-02-2009, 01:30 PM
he really wants to start... I'm guessing that nobody really wants to commit to him as a starter yet...

Oviedo
03-02-2009, 01:43 PM
What teams needs a starter? With Cassell going to KC the most obvious is filled. The only other possibilities are the Jets and 49ers and I doubt either will give Leftwich starters money.

Leftwich needs to just understand where he is in his career and embrace a role with the Steelers where he gets to share in the glory.

Lonbull
03-02-2009, 01:45 PM
I'm suprised with the number of teams that need a qb that nobody made a play for him. Anybody know anything?

SteelStallion -

I think part of the problem may be that Leftwich would like to go somewhere he can be "the Starter" and the only teams that are looking for Quarterbacks may be looking for a guy to keep the position warm for a year (or 10 games) and then allow a Rookie QB to take over.

Detroit - with Duante Culpepper - looks to be taking a QB with their first pick.

K.C. - Just took Matt Cassel (the next contestant on I suck without Randy Moss).

NY Jets- Makes sense....but no news? Perhaps the issue here is how do they as an organization follow Brett Favre for one season? I sense they're waiting by the phone hoping Brett says he's coming back.

Minnesota Vikings - Tarvaris Jackson is their Kordell Stewart - Sage Rosefeld is their Kent Graham - it's actually difficult for me to watch history repeat itself like this. But it doesn't look like the Vikings "really" want to challenge Jackson.

San Francisco 49ers - Also makes sense - I think (they think) that Leftwich isn't a good fit for their new style of offense. Which from what I've read will be short quick passes...ala West Coast Offense.

Other than that - it seems the other teams are pretty satisfied to go with the guy they have slated to start.

feltdizz
03-02-2009, 01:52 PM
I'm not surprised he is still out there...
teams want young QB's....

look at Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Atlanta, Giants...

they have a QB in place and can go really hard at filling other needs..

Oviedo
03-02-2009, 02:32 PM

SteelStallion -

I think part of the problem may be that Leftwich would like to go somewhere he can be "the Starter" and the only teams that are looking for Quarterbacks may be looking for a guy to keep the position warm for a year (or 10 games) and then allow a Rookie QB to take over.

Detroit - with Duante Culpepper - looks to be taking a QB with their first pick.

K.C. - Just took Matt Cassel (the next contestant on I suck without Randy Moss).

NY Jets- Makes sense....but no news? Perhaps the issue here is how do they as an organization follow Brett Favre for one season? I sense they're waiting by the phone hoping Brett says he's coming back.

Minnesota Vikings - Tarvaris Jackson is their Kordell Stewart - Sage Rosefeld is their Kent Graham - it's actually difficult for me to watch history repeat itself like this. But it doesn't look like the Vikings "really" want to challenge Jackson.

San Francisco 49ers - Also makes sense - I think (they think) that Leftwich isn't a good fit for their new style of offense. Which from what I've read will be short quick passes...ala West Coast Offense.

Other than that - it seems the other teams are pretty satisfied to go with the guy they have slated to start.

I think SF will make a serious run at Kurt Warner. Warner would be a perfect fit for a young team who has the ability to win the NFC West. he would provide just the type of leadership that has been missing. If they can't get him then maybe Leftwich gets a sniff.

Iron Shiek
03-02-2009, 02:42 PM

SteelStallion -

I think SF will make a serious run at Kurt Warner. Warner would be a perfect fit for a young team who has the ability to win the NFC West. he would provide just the type of leadership that has been missing. If they can't get him then maybe Leftwich gets a sniff.

I thought about Warner going to SF...and if he does...then what do the Cards do? Start Leinart? Or bring in Leftwich or someone else. Granted Whiz wasn't around when Lefty was here, but their propensity for taking our players opens it up as a possibility. And since the Lions seem to be going with Culpepper, that eliminates one end of the pipeline.

BURGH86STEEL
03-02-2009, 02:51 PM
I think it is only a matter of time before a team picks up Leftwich. If not, I would prefer him over Batch as the backup.

phillyesq
03-02-2009, 02:57 PM
I'm not sure that there is a team that would make him "the guy," but there are a lot of teams where he could probably start, or at least challenge for PT.

In addition to the teams mentioned, isn't Josh McCown currently the starter for the Bucs? I'd think Byron could at least compete there.

For a reasonable contract, I would really like to see Leftwich return. If not, I wish him well.

Oviedo
03-02-2009, 02:58 PM
I think it is only a matter of time before a team picks up Leftwich. If not, I would prefer him over Batch as the backup.

Could not possibly agree more. I would trust Leftwich to be able to win 3 games in a row if Ben was hurt. I wouldn't trust Batch to do the same.

ramblinjim
03-02-2009, 07:00 PM
What teams needs a starter? With Cassell going to KC the most obvious is filled. The only other possibilities are the Jets and 49ers and I doubt either will give Leftwich starters money.

Leftwich needs to just understand where he is in his career and embrace a role with the Steelers where he gets to share in the glory.

The Bears could use a starter? Maybe Minnesota?

I think Lefty will get picked up after the draft, someone will have not gotten the guy they wanted and Byron will be there. He played awfully well in spot duty last year to not get a look from some of those teams that didn't get the guy they were hoping for.

stlrz d
03-02-2009, 07:07 PM

I think Lefty will get picked up after the draft, someone will have not gotten the guy they wanted and Byron will be there. He played awfully well in spot duty last year to not get a look from some of those teams that didn't get the guy they were hoping for.

Minnesota just traded for Sage Rosenfels.

mshifko
03-02-2009, 08:06 PM
it'll be nice if no one goes after him and he just wants to stay with us...the only thing is, that may inhibit the growth of dennis dixon and what would we do with charlie batch? i think that leftwich will go elsewhere however...teams are always looking for veteran QB's to compete with young guys

ray
03-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Lefty said that he was happy here so IMO if he can't get a guaranteed starting position elsewhere, he may be back. It all depends on how much $$$ he would accept to be Ben's backup. If same amount as Charlie and for say 3 years, the Steelers would probably sign Lefty and cut Charlie. As far as Boyd is concerned, as long as Ben's career isn't cut short, he probably won't be here long as he'll want to seek the opportunity to play somewhere.

Mick'sTeam
03-02-2009, 09:39 PM

Minnesota just traded for Sage Rosenfels.

Like he said, Minnesota could use a starter.

steelcityrules!!
03-02-2009, 10:05 PM
it'll be nice if no one goes after him and he just wants to stay with us...the only thing is, that may inhibit the growth of dennis dixon and what would we do with charlie batch? i think that leftwich will go elsewhere however...teams are always looking for veteran QB's to compete with young guys

no offense, but I couldn't give a crap about dixon. if we could sign lefty to a 3 year deal or so to be that ace in the hole, veteran, game-winning QB behind ben, I'd be stoked.

at this point, he's all sorts of healthy and will be possibly the best backup in the league. the way ben gets knocked around, he should be a priority to be signed. Batch is getting so long in the tooth, his mouthguard doesn't fit anymore.

RuthlessBurgher
03-03-2009, 01:58 AM

Both Leftwich and Batch are UFA's right now, so if they re-sign Leftwich, they don't have to do anything with Batch. He is not signed to a contract with the Steelers right now either, so he would be free to sign anywhere he wants or retire if we decide to go with a QB depth chart of Roethlisberger-Leftwich-Dixon. Leftwich could be the second coming of Batch. Both were considered to be franchise QB's for their respective teams and signed huge contracts before getting surprisingly cut. They both came to Pittsburgh in their late 20's, so we figured that they would likely go elsewhere to compete for a starting gig after a short time here because they were just entering what should be the prime years for an NFL QB. Batch decided to stick around long-term when he found that the opportunities out on the open market weren't all they were cracked up to be, primarily because he is a Homestead native and he could help out in his community while playing for his hometown team. Leftwich may decide to stick around long-term when he finds that the opportunities out on the open market weren't all they were cracked up to be, primarily because he really enjoyed his experience here, likes his coaches, works well with Ben, has the opportunity to win, and may get substantial playing time as the back-up to a guy who takes a lot of risks beyond an offensive line that tends to give up a lot of sacks.

Northern_Blitz
03-03-2009, 09:20 AM

no offense, but I couldn't give a crap about dixon. if we could sign lefty to a 3 year deal or so to be that ace in the hole, veteran, game-winning QB behind ben, I'd be stoked.

at this point, he's all sorts of healthy and will be possibly the best backup in the league. the way ben gets knocked around, he should be a priority to be signed. Batch is getting so long in the tooth, his mouthguard doesn't fit anymore.

I don't think there is any way that Lefty signs a long term deal with us. I think if he can't find anything we should offer him another 1 year deal. It'd be a good deal for him because he's got to know that he'll see action in at least 3 or 4 games. If you're a backup looking for a starting job, being behind the most sacked QB in the league can't hurt. For the same reason, we need a good backup.