PDA

View Full Version : Do you have another passion, what other forums do you visit?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-02-2009, 01:20 PM
Are the Steelers the only thing that you are irrationally exuberant about, or do you have other things too?

My other one is the Beatles. I'm on two Beatles forums too.

I try to have a life in between ...

Iron Shiek
03-02-2009, 01:33 PM
No.

Hope that helps. :D

(Always wanted to steal that from whoever started that...)

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-02-2009, 01:45 PM
No.

Hope that helps. :D

(Always wanted to steal that from whoever started that...)

Wouldn't necessarily model myself after "that guy" . Last seen courting one goat while cheating on another, and looking for his 3rd (4th?) Steeler forum :wink:

Iron Shiek
03-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Haha...I never knew who said it but see it all the time.

That's cool. Goats aren't my thing.

As for your question, I like gaming (PC, PS3, Wii) but not intensely enough to join forums. Same with fantasy football. I study the crap out of it, but no forums.

That is pretty much it with passions. I like soccer and follow it closely too.

But Planet Steelers is my only posting home.

costanza2k1
03-02-2009, 02:11 PM
My other forums I've joined are the MAC forums, AV forums, I love doing video stuff. I've converted almost the entire 08 season for the Steelers in HD (yup I figured out how to jip that from DTV).

My setup is a MAC Pro, 1 TB internal drive, 8 gigs of RAM, 2 Superdrives, 3 TB mirrored storage (attached via firewire 800), 2 AppleTVs...yeah it's pretty legit. Most of the compression I do has been scripted in Pearl...I exclusively use the underlying UNIX system for scripting and such. Oh I forgot to mention it has 8 processors in it.... GEEKED out baby!

Iron Shiek
03-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Wow. :? A terra-who?

I've got a laptop. :D :oops:

That is an impressive lineup of gear Cos. Your gear would be the Steelers Defense if it was a football team.

Jigawatts
03-02-2009, 03:16 PM
When I joined the trib it was for informational purposes. I found it was the best place
to find information about the coaching change and other Steelers news without visiting
100 other web sites. Now I'm a fixture (and legend) on the Planet. :wink:

I do belong to a few other forums, but I only visit them occasionally.

thebrowncafe - It's not like it sounds like. :oops: It's a UPS discussion forum that
I occasional visit and seldom post at. Good place to find information about UPS and
teamster rules and regulations so whenever I battle with management I'm prepared.

AVS Forum - A good place to get info about audio visual happenings. Started going
there when I heard about the digital transition. I'm always trying to find a way to
optimize my antenna set up. I probably have a total of 20 posts there in two years.

I also visit another steelers forum which I won't advertise here, but I just head over
there when I want to mess with NKy. :lol:

Iron Shiek
03-02-2009, 03:25 PM
When I joined the trib it was for informational purposes. I found it was the best place
to find information about the coaching change and other Steelers news without visiting

thebrowncafe - It's not like it sounds like. :oops: It's a UPS discussion forum that
I occasional visit and seldom post at. Good place to find information about UPS and
teamster rules and regulations so whenever I battle with management I'm prepared.

AVS Forum - A good place to get info about audio visual happenings. Started going
there when I heard about the digital transition. I'm always trying to find a way to
optimize my antenna set up. I probably have a total of 20 posts there in two years.

I also visit another steelers forum which I won't advertise here, but I just head over

You mention AVS forum...I should note that when I am about to make a big purchase I hit some forums pretty hard. So I read up on products that I want to buy or I've already bought. The AVS forum is good for optimal tv settings for my plasma. But I've never posted there.

stlrz d
03-02-2009, 03:50 PM

OMG! :moon

Lots of info about what brown can do for you...and vice versa? :P

costanza2k1
03-02-2009, 03:54 PM

Ha! I'm a member there too, just to get some info here and there. My cousin and I have some UPS Stores that we bought a few years ago...being brown, I have a ton of what can brown do for you shirts...LOL

Jigawatts
03-02-2009, 04:07 PM

Ha! I'm a member there too, just to get some info here and there. My cousin and I have some UPS Stores that we bought a few years ago...being brown, I have a ton of what can brown do for you shirts...LOL

I'm sure I don't have more than 20 posts there. I just tried logging on and can't remember
my password. I wish I would have found that place earlier. I could have saved myself
a lot of grief (and back pain) if I knew then what I know now.

That's cool you own some costanza. I'm not sure how they're doing now, but they
were a one of the hottest franchises around a few years ago.

OMG! :moon

Lots of info about what brown can do for you...and vice versa? :P

:moon

Jigawatts
03-02-2009, 04:11 PM

You mention AVS forum...I should note that when I am about to make a big purchase I hit some forums pretty hard. So I read up on products that I want to buy or I've already bought. The AVS forum is good for optimal tv settings for my plasma. But I've never posted there.

Yep, great place to find an answer to any questions you may have about home entertainment.

fordfixer
03-02-2009, 09:48 PM
My other forums I've joined are the MAC forums, AV forums, I love doing video stuff. I've converted almost the entire 08 season for the Steelers in HD (yup I figured out how to jip that from DTV).

My setup is a MAC Pro, 1 TB internal drive, 8 gigs of RAM, 2 Superdrives, 3 TB mirrored storage (attached via firewire 800), 2 AppleTVs...yeah it's pretty legit. Most of the compression I do has been scripted in Pearl...I exclusively use the underlying UNIX system for scripting and such. Oh I forgot to mention it has 8 processors in it.... GEEKED out baby!

I'm sorry you lost me could you please say that in non geek terms :lol:

Chachi
03-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Are the Steelers the only thing that you are irrationally exuberant about, or do you have other things too?

My other one is the Beatles. I'm on two Beatles forums too.

I try to have a life in between ...

I got some Beatles bootlegs you might be interested in.

I'm sorry you lost me could you please say that in non geek terms :lol:

This might help....

[youtube:ylgdwsgj]cBio5LwNHQ4[/youtube:ylgdwsgj]

eniparadoxgma
03-02-2009, 11:50 PM
Lakers, gaming, computers, nun pr0nz, guitar...

Dunno. Other forums are techie stuff (x64bit.net) and my gaming clan's site (digitalexecutioners.com).

The only thing I didn't understand from costanza's post was "Superdrives", but that's easily remedied. Upon googling, am I to take it that a Superdrive is just Apple's name for a CD/DVD burner? Makes sense, as I'm purely a Windows guy with a little bit of Linux experience. Never really messed w/the Macs.

Discipline of Steel
03-03-2009, 12:11 AM
Im a member of the American Orchid Society but I dont post in their forum. Im not even sure they have one but id bet they do since all the grannies need a place to twitter about their hybrids they have named after them. Before you laugh at me too hard, just know that chics dig orchids.

RuthlessBurgher
03-03-2009, 02:26 AM
Im a member of the American Orchid Society but I dont post in their forum. Im not even sure they have one but id bet they do since all the grannies need a place to twitter about their hybrids they have named after them. Before you laugh at me too hard, just know that chics dig orchids.

Sure, chics dig orchids. But they don't necessarily dig dudes that dig orchids. :wink: :lol:

Discipline of Steel
03-03-2009, 08:12 AM

Sure, chics dig orchids. But they don't necessarily dig dudes that dig orchids. :wink: :lol:

Funy guy...but I can offer evidence to the contrary. Orchid :Hater

:P

stlrz d
03-03-2009, 11:43 AM
[quote="Discipline of Steel":1g0tpen5]Im a member of the American Orchid Society but I dont post in their forum. Im not even sure they have one but id bet they do since all the grannies need a place to twitter about their hybrids they have named after them. Before you laugh at me too hard, just know that chics dig orchids.

:P[/quote:1g0tpen5]

Do chicks dig movies about Orchids?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0268126/

Ok, maybe this one isn't only about orchids, but they play an important role in the plot. And this movie is outstanding, imo. Nick Cage playing real life, screen writing twins is great and Chris Cooper (American Beauty, among other things) is perfect in his role, as usual.

[youtube:1g0tpen5]<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0HtZ2M4e_AM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0HtZ2M4e_AM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>[/youtube:1g0tpen5]

Oh yeah...some orchids look like va jay jays. :lol:

http://static.thefrisky.com/images/uploads/orchid_vagina_c.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
03-03-2009, 12:19 PM
[quote=RuthlessBurgher][quote="Discipline of Steel":38crc99u]Im a member of the American Orchid Society but I dont post in their forum. Im not even sure they have one but id bet they do since all the grannies need a place to twitter about their hybrids they have named after them. Before you laugh at me too hard, just know that chics dig orchids.

:P[/quote:38crc99u]

Ok, maybe this one isn't only about orchids, but they play an important role in the plot. And this movie is outstanding, imo. Nick Cage playing real life, screen writing twins is great and Chris Cooper (American Beauty, among other things) is perfect in his role, as usual.

[youtube:38crc99u]<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0HtZ2M4e_AM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0HtZ2M4e_AM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>[/youtube:38crc99u]

http://static.thefrisky.com/images/uploads/orchid_vagina_c.jpg[/quote:38crc99u]

Nick Cage did play twins in the movie, but the screenwriter Charlie Kaufman doesn't really have a twin. He made up a twin named Donald for the movie.

The movie was interesting (I like Kaufman and Spike Jonze...Jonze's video for the Beastie Boys' "Sabotage" was probably the best example of music video in the MTV era), but I liked "Being John Malkovich" more...I did like how they incorporated some of the supposedly behind-the-scenes "Malkovich" stuff into the "Adaptation" movie, though. It has been several years since I have seen "Adaptation," though. I might get more out of it if I saw it a second time. I'm looking forward to Jonze's feature-length version of Maurice Sendak's classic children's book "Where the Wild Things Are."

stlrz d
03-03-2009, 12:42 PM
[quote=RuthlessBurgher][quote="Discipline of Steel":385z86oq]Im a member of the American Orchid Society but I dont post in their forum. Im not even sure they have one but id bet they do since all the grannies need a place to twitter about their hybrids they have named after them. Before you laugh at me too hard, just know that chics dig orchids.

:P

[youtube:385z86oq]<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0HtZ2M4e_AM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0HtZ2M4e_AM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>[/youtube:385z86oq]

http://static.thefrisky.com/images/uploads/orchid_vagina_c.jpg[/quote:385z86oq]

Nick Cage did play twins in the movie, but the screenwriter Charlie Kaufman doesn't really have a twin. He made up a twin named Donald for the movie.

The movie was interesting (I like Kaufman and Spike Jonze...Jonze's video for the Beastie Boys' "Sabotage" was probably the best example of music video in the MTV era), but I liked "Being John Malkovich" more...I did like how they incorporated some of the supposedly behind-the-scenes "Malkovich" stuff into the "Adaptation" movie, though. It has been several years since I have seen "Adaptation," though. I might get more out of it if I saw it a second time. I'm looking forward to Jonze's feature-length version of Maurice Sendak's classic children's book "Where the Wild Things Are."[/quote:385z86oq]

Doh...that's right. I forgot Donald was made up. It's been years since I've seen it as well. :oops: I liked it better than BJM myself.

RuthlessBurgher
03-03-2009, 02:34 PM
I liked it better than BJM myself.

But you can't top the surreal scene in which Malkovich takes the portal into his own head.

http://www.maximumpc.com/files/u22694/Being_John_Malkovich_poster.jpg

Or the introductory video explaining the history behind the low ceilings in their office.

http://thepilver.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/2cx6luf.jpg

stlrz d
03-03-2009, 07:17 PM
I liked it better than BJM myself.

But you can't top the surreal scene in which Malkovich takes the portal into his own head.

http://www.maximumpc.com/files/u22694/Being_John_Malkovich_poster.jpg

Or the introductory video explaining the history behind the low ceilings in their office.

http://thepilver.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/2cx6luf.jpg

Maybe I should watch it again.

Discipline of Steel
03-03-2009, 08:32 PM
There are many orchids with flowers the look like VJayJays...haha

But i bet you guys didnt know about the group called the pseudo-copulatory orchids. They 'fashion' their flowers to look like the back end of a wasp or bee, then when the male attempts to mount the flower, he gets covered in pollen and does the plants bidding without even realizing he's been had. Guess thats better than forking out $100 for dinner then realizing you've been had.

stlrz d
03-03-2009, 09:17 PM
There are many orchids with flowers the look like VJayJays...haha

But i bet you guys didnt know about the group called the pseudo-copulatory orchids. They 'fashion' their flowers to look like the back end of a wasp or bee, then when the male attempts to mount the flower, he gets covered in pollen and does the plants bidding without even realizing he's been had. Guess thats better than forking out $100 for dinner then realizing you've been had.

I knew that. :oops:

AngryAsian
03-08-2009, 10:21 AM
New Wave, Punk, Industrial message boards. Also a Dune forum (as in the book and subsequent series of books). I want to get onto that MAC forum that Cos belongs to, but it might be a little too heavy for me. I love all things MAC but my set up isn't as heavy duty. Maybe when I get a new house, I'll trick out the Man Cave with all my electronics.

As for other passions, I love to do home improvement projects. Through two houses I've taught myself some serious skills.... enough to do a flip, with little outside intervention.

MeetJoeGreene
03-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Nothing nearly as much as Steeler forums.

I do some Penn State forums (especially for recruiting).
Some geeky Robert Jordan (RIP) Wheel of Time Books forums (mainly as a reader).
Some zune (as in the music player) forums.
Random technolgy forums for my work.

MeetJoeGreene
03-09-2009, 10:40 AM
. Also a Dune forum (as in the book and subsequent series of books). .

another Dune fan. I have never read any Dune forums but I may have to look at a few.

Did you like all of the subsequent books? For the most part, I did.....