PDA

View Full Version : So is the McFadden signing really possible?

AkronSteel
03-01-2009, 08:09 PM
According to Adam Schefter the BMac situation looks to be coming down to Arizona and Pittsburgh. I would post the link from the NFL Blog but I'm not smart enough! Anyways...do any of you think this is the case and if it is do we really have a shot here? I would think that salaries would need to be adjusted and maybe a couple of cuts would have to be made to accomodate BMac's salary demands!

Any thoughts?

RuthlessBurgher
03-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Could be a situation like Kemo and the Jets...they offered a bit more, but he opted to come back. BMac might do the same thing. Count me in! Don't listen to Rosenhaus! You know where you want to be!!!

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/adam-schefter/

Adam Schefter
CB McFadden talking to Cards; Steelers want him back
Posted: March 1st, 2009 | Adam Schefter

The Pittsburgh Steelers and Arizona Cardinals battled in Super Bowl XLIII, and they’re having a pseudo rematch today.

Steelers free-agent CB Bryant McFadden is visiting the Cardinals today. The Steelers would like to re-sign McFadden, but former Pittsburgh assistant coaches Ken Whisenhunt (now Arizona’s head coach) and Russ Grimm (now an Arizona assistant) will try to convince McFadden to follow the same path they did.

AkronSteel
03-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Thanks for posting that for me RB! Appreciate it!! At least someone on here knows that they are doing with these things!!! :oops: :oops:

Flasteel
03-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Thanks for posting that for me RB! Appreciate it!! At least someone on here knows that they are doing with these things!!! :oops: :oops:

C'mon Zip, there's no way you can convince me that cutting and pasting is beyond your technological grasp. How do you log on to the internet or find your way around?

I'm not sweating the loss of B-Mac because of Gay, but since Townsend has got to be nearing the end I would prefer to keep him.

AkronSteel
03-01-2009, 08:43 PM

C'mon Zip, there's no way you can convince me that cutting and pasting is beyond your technological grasp. How do you log on to the internet or find your way around?

I'm not sweating the loss of B-Mac because of Gay, but since Townsend has got to be nearing the end I would prefer to keep him.

I didn't realize it was just a cut and paste job FLA.....didn't want to start a screwed up thread with no subject! :oops: I thought there was another step to it!!! Hey what can ya say? I can't even get my signature to work that Asian made for me!!! LOL :oops:

ray
03-01-2009, 09:02 PM

I didn't realize it was just a cut and paste job FLA.....didn't want to start a screwed up thread with no subject! :oops: I thought there was another step to it!!! Hey what can ya say? I can't even get my signature to work that Asian made for me!!! LOL :oops:
Only other step there would be is if you wanted to include a link to the article you cut and pasted.

mshifko
03-01-2009, 09:05 PM
i can't find the numbers....anyone know what the cardinals are potentially offering to bmac and what we are offering is those numbers are available? thanks in advance...

papillon
03-01-2009, 10:50 PM
If he signs with the Steelers it will be for Steeler numbers and not McFadden numbers, it's really that simple. The Steelers would like to have him, they aren't willing to pay big dollars, and it appears the only other team bidding for him are the Cardinals. This means if he's making his big payday it isn't with the Steelers. They're willing to let him walk.

Pappy

Mister Pittsburgh
03-02-2009, 01:11 AM
Probably be a lot nicer weather in AZ. Thats about it though. They are going to suck this year after their Superbowl loss.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-02-2009, 10:09 AM
The $$$ isn't a problem. The Steelers have not touched and contracts for restructuring. Ward's contract will be restructured and I think that money is a wash because I think Harrison will eat that up. I don't think Hampton will be here past this year so there is no money there. I would be willing to say Keisel, Smith, Kirschke, Hoke, & Townsend are players they could look at to free up money. They all would be welcomed to retire here and tuning some contract into bonus and/or extending at a lower cap number could free up $$$ to extend Harrison, Miller, Clark, etc. However, I don't expect the Steelers to break the bank on McFadden. I don't think he will get more than Taylor on this team and I hear that is where he would like to be. There will not be a panic if he signs somewhere else until after the draft. Gay is the #2 and they will try to address in the draft. They will wait until the post draft wave of FA to address any other issues. We know that is how they work.

feltdizz
03-02-2009, 11:27 AM
Probably be a lot nicer weather in AZ. Thats about it though. They are going to suck this year after their Superbowl loss.

their stadium is off the hook.. loud as hell. I don't think AZ sucks this year if Warner comes back.. but I think the 49ers win the division this year and the only way I see AZ getting to the playoffs is winning their division.

Oviedo
03-02-2009, 11:46 AM
The $$$ isn't a problem. The Steelers have not touched and contracts for restructuring. Ward's contract will be restructured and I think that money is a wash because I think Harrison will eat that up. I don't think Hampton will be here past this year so there is no money there. I would be willing to say Keisel, Smith, Kirschke, Hoke, & Townsend are players they could look at to free up money. They all would be welcomed to retire here and tuning some contract into bonus and/or extending at a lower cap number could free up $$$ to extend Harrison, Miller, Clark, etc. However, I don't expect the Steelers to break the bank on McFadden. I don't think he will get more than Taylor on this team and I hear that is where he would like to be. There will not be a panic if he signs somewhere else until after the draft. Gay is the #2 and they will try to address in the draft. They will wait until the post draft wave of FA to address any other issues. We know that is how they work.

I'd offer McFadden a contract equivalent to Taylor which is good because he is no where near as good as Taylor. Like has been said Gay proved he could be more than an adequete replacement if Mcfadden wants to get creedy versus just being unbelievably wealthy and winning championships.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-02-2009, 01:33 PM

I'd offer McFadden a contract equivalent to Taylor which is good because he is no where near as good as Taylor. Like has been said Gay proved he could be more than an adequete replacement if Mcfadden wants to get creedy versus just being unbelievably wealthy and winning championships.

I heard the latest rumor was the Steelers made McFadden a new 5 year over the weekend. Also, Chris Carr is suposed to meet the Steelers tomorrow.

steelz09
03-02-2009, 08:50 PM
McFadden should be the #1 priority now with Nate getting signed by the Titans.

The Steelers have the money unless the Cardinels overpay for him. Sign bmac and lock up this secondary for years to come. You need at least 3 solid CB's. With ike, mcfadden, gay, townsend, polamalu, and Clark our secondary might be the deepest in the league.

NW Steeler
03-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Re-signing Mac also opens up our draft options even more because we won't need to spend a premium pick on a CB.

Mel Blount's G
03-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Re-signing Mac also opens up our draft options even more because we won't need to spend a premium pick on a CB.
Good point. Opening up draft options = even MORE priority on dl/ol. Let the cards use their pick on a cb. Yes, please

steelz09
03-02-2009, 09:09 PM
[quote="NW Steeler":u0fv1y7w]Re-signing Mac also opens up our draft options even more because we won't need to spend a premium pick on a CB.
Good point. Opening up draft options = even MORE priority on dl/ol. Let the cards use their pick on a cb. Yes, please[/quote:u0fv1y7w]

Exactly -- Yet another reason I want the Steelers to sign McFadden.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-02-2009, 10:48 PM
Steelers should have broken with their tradition and re-signed McFadden back in midseason.

Wolfhound45
03-02-2009, 11:03 PM
You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at PlanetSteelers.com you want me on that corner, you need me on that corner.

http://www.exclusivesportsandpromotions.com/images/bryantmcfadden.jpg

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-02-2009, 11:13 PM
Steelers should have broken with their tradition and re-signed McFadden back in midseason.

I disagree. I think that right around mid-season when he was starting he would have gotten more money than he will now. At that time he looked like our legit #2 and a guy who would be very much sought after in FA After he got hurt and returned he was sharing time with Gay. Also, he has checked out the market and found out that he is not as prized as he thought he would be. The Steelers have that leverage going into negotiations at this point.

RuthlessBurgher
03-03-2009, 01:18 AM
[quote="NW Steeler":3tfe9ki5]Re-signing Mac also opens up our draft options even more because we won't need to spend a premium pick on a CB.
Good point. Opening up draft options = even MORE priority on dl/ol. Let the cards use their pick on a cb. Yes, please[/quote:3tfe9ki5]

Great point, fellas. After the first 30 picks are in the books and Arizona is on the clock, if there is one CB left with a first round grade and one o-lineman or d-lineman left with a first round grade, the Cards will likely pick take the CB if they are unable to sign McFadden, leaving the much coveted lineman for us at #32. However, if they sign McFadden, they will likely ignore the CB and take the lineman instead. I want to sign BMac now, which should solidify our secondary to the point that an early pick is not necessary, so we can focus on the trenches on both sides of the ball.

steeler_george
03-03-2009, 05:32 AM
Signing Mcfadden would be great, but no way is he worth breaking the bank on. We have Gay in the wings to fill in. Even if he does sign, I think we still draft a CB ...but not as a high priority if he stayes/stayed.

Going in this FA season, all of our FA players were expendable. They could of been easily upgraded if the price was right..Starks, Colon, Kemo,... etc.

But since no other quality FA fell in the price range we desired, we retained our own known proven commodities. Adding depth and flexibility going into the draft and future.

In addition, the organization is probably focusing on 3 things right now in the FA:
1) sign harrison
2) add depth and flexibility to the OL to have a bases to strengthen in the draft
3) adjust the payroll for our next year FA who are more vital than this years.

Oviedo
03-03-2009, 08:39 AM

Totally agree. That policy has to change because the Steelers put themselves at a disadvanatage by ignoring the time they have exclusive negotiating rights with a player.

That said, McFadden is rapidly losing negotiating position as each day passes. There are still a number of starter capable CBs on the market. I'd like to see them resign him but not for more than what Andre Goodman got from the Broncos-5 years/$25M.

Players like Leigh Bodden and Patrick Surtain are still out on the market. Bmac rotated every other down with Gay this past season. Either of them should be able to do the same.

Northern_Blitz
03-03-2009, 08:57 AM

Totally agree. That policy has to change because the Steelers put themselves at a disadvanatage by ignoring the time they have exclusive negotiating rights with a player.

That said, McFadden is rapidly losing negotiating position as each day passes. There are still a number of starter capable CBs on the market. I'd like to see them resign him but not for more than what Andre Goodman got from the Broncos-5 years/$25M.

Players like Leigh Bodden and Patrick Surtain are still out on the market. Bmac rotated every other down with Gay this past season. Either of them should be able to do the same.

I disagree. Since they've only renegotiated during the season for one player (QB) in recent memory, I think it gives them more leverage. We do most of our extending when players still have a year left on their contracts. This is because we have exclusive rights, and because players will be scared that they might get hurt during the season. This means that we can get them to sign for less than they might during the year.

If players know that we negotiate during the season, why would they sign in the offseason. As the season goes on, their price goes up if they play well. Our period of exclusivity gets shorter, as does their time to avoid injury.

As it is now, we give guys a take it or leave it in the offseason. They know we mean it because we don't negotiate during the season.

RuthlessBurgher
03-03-2009, 11:25 AM

I disagree. Since they've only renegotiated during the season for one player (QB) in recent memory, I think it gives them more leverage. We do most of our extending when players still have a year left on their contracts. This is because we have exclusive rights, and because players will be scared that they might get hurt during the season. This means that we can get them to sign for less than they might during the year.

If players know that we negotiate during the season, why would they sign in the offseason. As the season goes on, their price goes up if they play well. Our period of exclusivity gets shorter, as does their time to avoid injury.

As it is now, we give guys a take it or leave it in the offseason. They know we mean it because we don't negotiate during the season.

What QB were they re-negotiating with during the season? The only special concession that they make for QB contracts that I am aware of is that they will extend a QB's contract with 2 years left, while they will only start talking to players at other positions about an extension when there is 1 year left.

aggiebones
03-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Arizona is just as cheap as us. They could sign Warner for a couple million more than their offer. Only a 2 yr deal for like 24M and they won't do it. They've allowed him to go peak at division rival SF. SF would beat their arse twice if they had Warner. Arizona is playing with fire, they won't go too hard at BMac. His agent may be using Arizona to up our offer. But we don't REALLY need him. He'd be nice at a sturdy price, but we can and will go on without him.